"McCoy's Little Orange Science Book" Project

Boikat

Nov 15, 2004, 11:34:32 AM11/15/04
Okay. This should be fun. Over the past several years, McCoy has made
several outragious claims about his forth grade Science textbook.
Unfortunatly, he cannot remember the name of that book, and with the
incredible claims he makes about the contents of that book, I think it'd be
a fun thing to attempt to reconstruct the text from the claims that he has
made over the years. I figure if everyone tickles their memory ocre, we
could probably flesh this thing out, and if it turns out that the book
doesn't really exist, we can compile it, send it over to the Temporal
Division of the EEC (Evil Evolutionist Conspiracy) and make sure that a
sufficient number of copies are distributed to the appropriate school at a
price they cannot confuse (we have to do this in order to maintain Temporal
Consistancy) Also, it will give McCoy time to research his grade school,
and see if he can dig up a title. After all, given his claims about the
contents of the book, it's sure to be a collectors items, if for no other
reason, the gross numbers of apparent errors that plague it. The errors are
so 'out there" that if a copy of the book can be located, and actually says
what McCoy claims it dose, someone needs to create of special "Chez Watt"
for books with idiotic claims that are so out there, you have to say, "Say
What!?" in stunned amazement.

Starting out (And McCoy can correct me if I am wrong or misstate what he
said the book stated, and of course, since McCoy has first hand, perfect
memory of what the book claimed, he should feel free to add as much as
possible to the list! Too bad his memory seems relagated to the contexnts,
yet he can't remember the title. Ah well...)

*********

McCoy's Little Orange 4th Grade Science Book

Index (in no particular order, naturally. Hey! The book has an orange
cover, okay!)

* Something about jumping, gliding or flying *snakes* evolving into birds.

* There is no gravity on the moon.

* Cited Piltdown Man as a valid ancestral hominid (He was apparently in 4th
grade in 1974, going by his post dated, 2003-03-19 01:16:12 PST , where he
states, "If Piltdown man was not accepted, why was it in textbooks as late
as 1974. I know so because I was taught it.)

* Contained Haeckel's embryo drawings, and presumably used the drawings to
support "Recapitulation Theory"

* Galaxies formed because the Big bang stopped suddenly

From the book, or from a pipe full of "special herbs"?

? Cave formations used to date the age of the Earth (not the care the
formation is in, but the whole Earth!).

? Obsidian is burnt rock

? Earthquakes and volcanos due to exploding fossil fuels (This his own
little *ahem* theory, but one can wonder if the kernel of the theory was
seeded from some really bizzare passage in the Little Orange Science Book,
in some contorted manner...).

*******

Can anyone recall any more? Johnny McCoy, me boy, it's time to shine.
Let's hear it, don't leave out a single instance where the "Science Book
with the Orange Cover" really stuffed it, but good!

BTW, I do hope for everyone's edification and education, you are busy
researching your old grade school to see if they have the information at
hand (who know, they may still be usung it!)

Boikat
--
<42><

Dana Tweedy

Nov 15, 2004, 12:22:48 PM11/15/04

"Boikat" <boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote in message
snipping

Apparently the LOSB also contained:

a reconstruction of Neanderthals as "hunched over".

It's also interesting to not that McCoy claims that he made up stories in
4th grade:
from:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ab0de77f.0405272114.2a6cb329%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

http://tinyurl.com/3kfck

">No. How can you say that? Are you a mind reader? I used to believe
> in evolution. I made up story books starting when I was in 4th grade.
> I created a character who was sort of a super hero. The antagonists
> were evolved ocean entities. So I can produce these books and I have
> a friend who collaborated on my stories and knows this to be a fact.
> I did believe in evolution and for that reason you are the one who is
> lying."

DJT

Augray

Nov 15, 2004, 1:10:51 PM11/15/04
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:34:32 +0000 (UTC), "Boikat"
<boi...@bellsouthnospam.net> wrote in

From
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0303200147.1aeef36c%40posting.google.com

...snakes became birds by jumping out of trees. Their ribs would
project outside of their skin and become wings(that's how the
evolutionary process came to be.)

> * There is no gravity on the moon.

From
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0303200147.1aeef36c%40posting.google.com
as well, and just yesterday, in
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0411140125.3f1db21a%40posting.google.com

> * Cited Piltdown Man as a valid ancestral hominid (He was apparently in 4th
> grade in 1974, going by his post dated, 2003-03-19 01:16:12 PST , where he
> states, "If Piltdown man was not accepted, why was it in textbooks as late
> as 1974. I know so because I was taught it.)

That would be
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0303190113.26be9e46%40posting.google.com

Also stated in
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0410261126.1657f1b1%40posting.google.com

> * Contained Haeckel's embryo drawings, and presumably used the drawings to
> support "Recapitulation Theory"

Hinted at in
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0304292117.6bf1dbab%40posting.google.com

> * Galaxies formed because the Big bang stopped suddenly

Also from
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0303200147.1aeef36c%40posting.google.com

...inorder for galaxy to start, the universe stopped after the big
bang.

Harlequin

Nov 15, 2004, 9:25:24 PM11/15/04
Augray <aug...@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> ing.google.com as well, and just yesterday, in
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3f355ee.0411140125.3f1db21a%40post
> ing.google.com

I saw a book on what every one should know after finishing the third
grade and it claimed that the reason why astronauts are weightless
was the lack of gravity.

Given this is a common misconception, I would not be surprised
if nameless was taught it. He is probably confusing this
commonly taught falsehood about weightless in orbit with
the weight on the Moon.

=========

Folks, if you want a really nasty falsehood. Last week I
saw a map of the fifty states for little kids (it is a
puzzle) that has the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as part of
Wisconson. I am not kidding. This former Yooper was not
amused.

--
Anti-spam: replace "usenet@sdc." with "harlequin2@"

John Vreeland

Nov 15, 2004, 11:23:04 PM11/15/04

Harlequin wrote:

> I saw a book on what every one should know after finishing the third
> grade and it claimed that the reason why astronauts are weightless
> was the lack of gravity.
>
> Given this is a common misconception, I would not be surprised
> if nameless was taught it. He is probably confusing this
> commonly taught falsehood about weightless in orbit with
> the weight on the Moon.

It is more likely that he heard this elsewhere and attributed it to the
fourth grade, like so many more of his claims.

> =========
>
> Folks, if you want a really nasty falsehood. Last week I
> saw a map of the fifty states for little kids (it is a
> puzzle) that has the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as part of
> Wisconson. I am not kidding. This former Yooper was not
> amused.

Nobody here cares about your offended geographical sensibilities. Save
it for deer camp.