APATHEISM

1 view

Steve Reiser

Sep 11, 1991, 4:52:59 PM9/11/91

I can't remember if was a post or e-mail, but one of the more
interesting **-theisms I've seen is "apatheism".

An apatheist would be: one who couldn't cares less whether there is a
god or not, because its totally irrelevant to our existence here anyway.

An apatheist would just walk away from any discussion of any kind
**-theism as it would seem boring and irrelevant.

Actually, when you think about it, would the apatheist be the happiest
of all because his/her mind wouldn't be cluttered with any opinions on
the subject and he/she could spend his/her time more constructively.

I kind of like the term as it allows an additional attitude which seems
kind of laid back and humorous. The apatheist can lay back in his
hammock enjoying a cold beer in the afternoon sun while the Christian
and atheist are engaged in a heated discussion.

Just some thoughts,

Steve

--
Steve Reiser (rei...@pmafire.inel.gov or !uunet!pmafire!reiser)

Kenn Barry

Sep 11, 1991, 9:22:45 PM9/11/91
In article <1991Sep11.2...@pmafire.inel.gov> rei...@pmafire.inel.gov (Steve Reiser) writes:
>I can't remember if was a post or e-mail, but one of the more
>interesting **-theisms I've seen is "apatheism".
>
>An apatheist would be: one who couldn't cares less whether there is a
>god or not, because its totally irrelevant to our existence here anyway.

You just described my ex-wife's religious views to a T.

Kayembee

Giridhar Iyengar

Sep 12, 1991, 3:18:37 AM9/12/91
In article <1991Sep11.2...@pmafire.inel.gov> rei...@pmafire.inel.gov (Steve Reiser) writes:

>An apatheist would be: one who couldn't cares less whether there is a
>god or not, because its totally irrelevant to our existence here anyway.
>
>An apatheist would just walk away from any discussion of any kind
>**-theism as it would seem boring and irrelevant.
>
>Actually, when you think about it, would the apatheist be the happiest
>of all because his/her mind wouldn't be cluttered with any opinions on
>the subject and he/she could spend his/her time more constructively.
>
>I kind of like the term as it allows an additional attitude which seems
>kind of laid back and humorous. The apatheist can lay back in his
>hammock enjoying a cold beer in the afternoon sun while the Christian
>and atheist are engaged in a heated discussion.
>
>Steve

Perfect! Perfect! I've been looking for just such a term for a while
now. It's the irrelevancy of the argument that makes it so difficult
for me to get involved in any argument. Thank you! I think I'll go have a
beer instead of reading this group. I've never had anything to say
before this, and may never again.

lying back..
..giri

Steven Timm

Sep 12, 1991, 11:11:46 AM9/12/91
One of the most common characteristics exhibited by fundie, atheist,
and Velikovskite alike is the claim that his/her own views are superior
to any other view, and that his interpretation of his own, but especially
the other person's holy book is the right one and not subject to dispute.

Belief in oneself as God, or in one's own infallibility is a sure sign
of egotheism.

BTW, why is this on talk.origins anyway? True, we do have a lot of them
here, but it isn't quite germane.

Steve Timm

Bruce B. Salem

Sep 23, 1991, 7:44:47 PM9/23/91

Thanks, I wanted to know the name of this distinction for some
time. It was mentioned in talk.religion.misc some time ago. I am
inclined to embrace this view as I regard the atheist's view as too
strong, he has knowledge that God doesn't exist. I don't think that
he can claim to know this, but nor do I claim that being either an
atheist or theist is important. I think that being either one
is beside the point for gaining insight about what believing in God is
FOR is for more revealing. Arguments to His necessity are uncompelling
and the real reason I think most people cling to belief in Him, which
I think is to find trancendance in themselves and justification for an
absolute and trancendant moral standard are unjustifiable.

The capitalization I use is conventional usage, only.

--
Bruce B. Salem uunet!sparc!salem (415) 321-8692 Menlo Park Ca.
My opinions may not be those of SPARC International or its members.