On the Right Side by George V. Caylor

Russell Glasser

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of
verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
audience who want to comment?

I am reposting this from the Motley Fool's Christian message board,
where I occasionally "lurk".
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380070000831000

On the Right Side by George V. Caylor

"The Biologist"

One of the best aspects of my wife JoAnne's Bed and Breakfast is the
chance for a great conversation with an interesting guest. People
fascinate me, and the laid-back atmosphere of the bed and breakfast
allows me to get to know our guests well. I was with a congressman the
moment the Monica Lewinsky story broke, and discussed the possible
impeachment. I enjoyed visiting with a Russian attorney who wrote the
post-communism Russian Constitution. But all our guests have good
stories, and I like to hear them all. I 'replay' them later, and I have
the ability to remember conversations nearly word for word. That memory
skill comes from either thirty years as a financial planner, or six
years as a touring musician.

One of the most interesting, and disturbing conversations, was with a
molecular biologist working in genetic research. Jeff and his wife were
in from New York to celebrate the 2000 New Year. I think they just
wanted out of New York City, and Lynchburg is about as "out" as he
could get! Jeff described himself as a "secular Jew," which meant that
he was not into practicing his religion. (There seems to be a lot of
secular Jews and secular Christians around these days.) I asked Jeff
about his profession and he told me that he was a molecular biologist,
specializing in genetic research. He and his team were
scientific "detectives" tracking down the cause of disease.

Our conversation went something like this:

G: "Sounds like pretty complicated work."

J: "You can't imagine how complicated!"

G: "Try me."

J: "I'm a bit like an editor, trying to find a spelling mistake inside
a document larger than four complete sets of Encyclopedia Britanica.
One hundred volumes, thousands and thousands of pages of small print
words."

G: "With the computer, you can just use 'spell check'!"

J: "There is no 'spell check' because we don't know yet how the words
are supposed to be spelled. We don't even know for sure which language.
And it's not just the 'spelling error' we're looking for. If any of the
punctuation is out of place, or a space out of place, or a grammatical
error, we have a mutation that will cause a disease."

G: "So how do you do it?"

J: "We are learning as we go. We have already 'read' about two articles
in that encyclopedia, and located some 'typo's'. It should get easier
as time goes by." G: "How did all that genetic information get there?"
J: "Do you mean, did it just happen? Did it evolve?"

G: "Bingo. Do you believe that the information evolved?"

J: "George, nobody I know in my profession believes it evolved. It was
engineered by 'genius beyond genius,' and such information could not
have been written any other way. The paper and ink did not write the
book! Knowing what we know, it is ridiculous to think otherwise."

G: "Have you ever stated that in a public lecture, or in any public
writings?"

J: "No. It just evolved."

G: "What? You just told me ---?"

J: "Just stop right there. To be a molecular biologist requires one to
hold on to two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to
believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it
would be insane to say you don't believe in evolution. All government
work, research grants, papers, big college lectures - everything would
stop. I'd be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I
couldn't earn a decent living."

G: "I hate to say it, Jeff, but that sounds intellectually dishonest."

J: "The work I do in genetic research is honorable. We will find the
cures to many of mankind's worst diseases. But in the meantime, we have
to live with the 'elephant in the living room'."

G: "What elephant?"

J: "Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves
around, takes up an enormous amount of space, loudly trumpets, bumps
into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an
elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!"

I didn't use Jeff's family name, although I doubt many New Yorkers read
the "Ledger." After all, Jeff is a good man who deserves to earn a good
living. I am just a bit angry that we allow him to be bullied by
evolutionists. It makes me yearn for the day when all molecular
biologists will be able to say: "Hey, there's an elephant in our living
room! Maybe we can make friends with it!"

Caylor is a syndicated writer with Press Media Group, LLC.

--
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt

Russell may be heckled at
http://rglasser.home.texas.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Stephen Watson

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
In article <8fpo67$3a8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Russell Glasser <rgla...@texas.net> wrote:
>Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of
>verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
>audience who want to comment?
>
>I am reposting this from the Motley Fool's Christian message board,
>where I occasionally "lurk".
>http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380070000831000

[Load of crap deleted. I am skeptical that the conversation even took
place as reported]

FWIW, the "elephant" is Michael Behe's metaphor.

>J: "The work I do in genetic research is honorable. We will find the
>cures to many of mankind's worst diseases. But in the meantime, we have
>to live with the 'elephant in the living room'."
>
>G: "What elephant?"
>
>J: "Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves
>around, takes up an enormous amount of space, loudly trumpets, bumps
>into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an
>elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!"
>
>I didn't use Jeff's family name, although I doubt many New Yorkers read
>the "Ledger." After all, Jeff is a good man who deserves to earn a good
>living. I am just a bit angry that we allow him to be bullied by
>evolutionists. It makes me yearn for the day when all molecular
>biologists will be able to say: "Hey, there's an elephant in our living
>room! Maybe we can make friends with it!"

--
-- Steve Watson
Nortel Networks, Ottawa Canada

Tracy P. Hamilton

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00

Russell Glasser wrote in message <8fpo67$3a8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor?

Evidently a mental defective or moral degenerate, *if* he wrote what
is ascribed to him.

[snip moronic story of poor guy who can't speak out against evolution,
even though *all* of the people in his field don't believe it! ]

>Any chance of
>verifying the story?

Slim. An internet search will find a George Caylor who does
run a B&B called the Residence Inn in Lynchburg. You can
ask. Tell him the evolution CABAL is after names, and will
stop at nothing to get them. *That* should get results! :)

[snip]

A much more believable story is that the guy who checked into the
B&B as John Smith *was* John Smith.

Tracy P. Hamilton

Adam Noel Harris

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
Russell Glasser <rgla...@texas.net> wrote:
:Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of

:verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
:audience who want to comment?

I'm a molecular biologist. This is a load of crap.

[...]

:J: "George, nobody I know in my profession believes it evolved. It was

:engineered by 'genius beyond genius,' and such information could not
:have been written any other way. The paper and ink did not write the
:book! Knowing what we know, it is ridiculous to think otherwise."

[...]

-Adam
--
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Stanford University.
PGP Fingerprint = C0 65 A2 BD 8A 67 B3 19 F9 8B C1 4C 8E F2 EA 0E

Tracy P. Hamilton

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
Thanks to Stephen Watson for pointing out that this elephant thing
is from Behe. How suspicious that Jeff would use the same
analogy. Mike Behe checking in with Mrs. "Smith"? :)

Anyway, the George Caylor probably is for real, even if his
articles have little or no credibility. A little locally published
community "paper".

http://www.theledgeronline.com

Russell Glasser wrote in message <8fpo67$3a8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of
>verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
>audience who want to comment?

[snip story - again]

That felt good! Kind of makes up for the discomfort
the elephant - which isn't there! Yessir! - in my office gives me.

Tracy P. Hamilton

wf...@ptd.net

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
On 15 May 2000 16:54:56 -0400, Russell Glasser <rgla...@texas.net>
wrote:

>J: "Just stop right there. To be a molecular biologist requires one to
>hold on to two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to
>believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it
>would be insane to say you don't believe in evolution. All government
>work, research grants, papers, big college lectures - everything would
>stop. I'd be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I
>couldn't earn a decent living."

lets see...who makes more money, a university professor, or jerry
falwell? who gets more money..a professor asking for a grant, or a
creationist preacher asking for a handout as he attacks science...

the answer is left as an exercise for the reader.

>J: "Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves
>around, takes up an enormous amount of space, loudly trumpets, bumps
>into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an
>elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!"

too bad he didnt bother to say how it works. in the 21 april issue of
'science', there is an article on the role of competition in the
evolution and extinction of bryozoans...competition is a mechanism

where's the mechanism of creation?

John Harshman

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
<rgla...@texas.net> wrote:

> Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of
> verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
> audience who want to comment?

I'm a molecular systematist. Does that count?

[snip to the nub]

> J: "Just stop right there. To be a molecular biologist requires one to
> hold on to two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to
> believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it
> would be insane to say you don't believe in evolution. All government
> work, research grants, papers, big college lectures - everything would
> stop. I'd be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I
> couldn't earn a decent living."

How about if we all count to three at once, and on the count of three we
all agree that evolution is insane. Won't it be a relief to get that load
off our minds?

Of course this would seem to be the untestable proposition. Nobody
believes in evolution but everybody lies and says they do, which is
indistinguishable from everybody really believing in evolution. OK, it's
distinguishable in one way -- I know what I think. But maybe I'm the
world's only real evolutionary biologist.

Ah, well. Yet another form of the universal conspiracy. How does it stay
secret for so long?

--

*Note the obvious spam-defeating modification
to my address if you reply by email.

ro...@my-deja.com

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
In article <39207913....@news.ptd.net>,

wf...@ptd.net wrote:
> On 15 May 2000 16:54:56 -0400, Russell Glasser <rgla...@texas.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >J: "Just stop right there. To be a molecular biologist requires one
> >hold on to two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to
> >believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it
> >would be insane to say you don't believe in evolution. All government
> >work, research grants, papers, big college lectures - everything
would
> >stop. I'd be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I
> >couldn't earn a decent living."
>
> lets see...who makes more money, a university professor, or jerry
> falwell? who gets more money..a professor asking for a grant, or a
> creationist preacher asking for a handout as he attacks science...
>
> the answer is left as an exercise for the reader.

Who makes more money, A biologist who teaches and does research for a
living, or Mike Behe?

Rod #613

> >J: "Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It
moves
> >around, takes up an enormous amount of space, loudly trumpets, bumps
> >into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an
> >elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!"
>

> too bad he didnt bother to say how it works. in the 21 april issue of
> 'science', there is an article on the role of competition in the
> evolution and extinction of bryozoans...competition is a mechanism
>
> where's the mechanism of creation?

Jeff

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
wrote:

>Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of

>verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
>audience who want to comment?
>
>I am reposting this from the Motley Fool's Christian message board,
>where I occasionally "lurk".
>http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380070000831000
>

>On the Right Side by George V. Caylor
>
>"The Biologist"

snip

>I didn't use Jeff's family name, although I doubt many New Yorkers read
>the "Ledger." After all, Jeff is a good man who deserves to earn a good
>living. I am just a bit angry that we allow him to be bullied by
>evolutionists. It makes me yearn for the day when all molecular
>biologists will be able to say: "Hey, there's an elephant in our living
>room! Maybe we can make friends with it!"
>
>Caylor is a syndicated writer with Press Media Group, LLC.

Yes, it was me. I confess. I feel so much better now that I am out
of the closet. Everywhere I look I see design. Look, something
designed my living room with an elephant in it. It all makes sense
now.

Boikat

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00

(minor adjustment)

> G: "How did all that genetic information get there?"

> J: "Do you mean, did it just happen? Did it evolve?"
>
> G: "Bingo. Do you believe that the information evolved?"
>
> J: "George, nobody I know in my profession believes it evolved. It was
> engineered by 'genius beyond genius,' and such information could not
> have been written any other way. The paper and ink did not write the
> book! Knowing what we know, it is ridiculous to think otherwise."

This causes the BS detector to emit warning beeps.

> G: "Have you ever stated that in a public lecture, or in any public
> writings?"
>
> J: "No. It just evolved."
>
> G: "What? You just told me ---?"
>
> J: "Just stop right there. To be a molecular biologist requires one to
> hold on to two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to
> believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it
> would be insane to say you don't believe in evolution. All government
> work, research grants, papers, big college lectures - everything would
> stop. I'd be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I
> couldn't earn a decent living."

This causes the BS detector to increase the
frequency and intensity of the warning beeps.

> G: "I hate to say it, Jeff, but that sounds intellectually dishonest."
>
> J: "The work I do in genetic research is honorable. We will find the
> cures to many of mankind's worst diseases. But in the meantime, we have
> to live with the 'elephant in the living room'."
>
> G: "What elephant?"
>
> J: "Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves
> around, takes up an enormous amount of space, loudly trumpets, bumps
> into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an
> elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!"

Full tone! BS detected. Hip waders on full.
It's gonna get deep!

> I didn't use Jeff's family name, although I doubt many New Yorkers read
> the "Ledger." After all, Jeff is a good man who deserves to earn a good
> living. I am just a bit angry that we allow him to be bullied by
> evolutionists. It makes me yearn for the day when all molecular
> biologists will be able to say: "Hey, there's an elephant in our living
> room! Maybe we can make friends with it!"

Is the elephant pink?

Bottom line? This "Jeff", if he exists, at best,
was offering up his own personal opinion, and
nothing more. It should also be noted that it was
not his *scientific* opinion. If he claims
otherwise, he's a dishonest hack.

Boikat

George Acton

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
Boikat wrote:

> Russell Glasser wrote:
> >
> > Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of
> > verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
> > audience who want to comment?

> > J: "Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves

> > around, takes up an enormous amount of space, loudly trumpets, bumps
> > into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an
> > elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!"
>
> Full tone! BS detected. Hip waders on full.
> It's gonna get deep!

Congratulations! Your dectector appears to be well calibrated
and we will put the inspection sticker on your windshield,
certifying you for another year of Usenet exposure.
As people have already pointed out the elephant is found in
Behe. But it's in the middle of the lab, not the living room
and it has GOD written on the other side.
And the business about economic reprisals, such as witholding
grants, is belied by the fact that Behe has grants and publishes,
at least last time I looked. He may spend less time in the
lab because he's out making money speaking to Creationist groups
or consulting for the Wedge Project. But no one is hounding him
out of academia.
It looks like this guy's story is totally favricated and
maliciously intended.
--George Acton

Boikat

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
George Acton wrote:

> Boikat wrote:
> >
> > Russell Glasser wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of
> > > verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
> > > audience who want to comment?
>
> > > J: "Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves
> > > around, takes up an enormous amount of space, loudly trumpets, bumps
> > > into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an
> > > elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!"
> >
> > Full tone! BS detected. Hip waders on full.
> > It's gonna get deep!
> >
> Congratulations! Your dectector appears to be well calibrated
> and we will put the inspection sticker on your windshield,
> certifying you for another year of Usenet exposure.

It's a vintage Acme Model III. They don't build
'em like that any more. (Phased Array my butt!
FET's? CMOS? LCD displays and cute little
flashing red and green LED's? Phaw! Gimme a good
ol' parabolic with heavy duty triode amp tubes
pushing 50 watt's @ 5 amps and a nixie tube
display/red 90 watt light bulb any day! Okay, so
it causes a "brown out" in the wee town of Benton
now and then, but hey, it's built like a tank, and
life is filled with these little trade-offs!)

> As people have already pointed out the elephant is found in
> Behe. But it's in the middle of the lab, not the living room
> and it has GOD written on the other side.
> And the business about economic reprisals, such as witholding
> grants, is belied by the fact that Behe has grants and publishes,
> at least last time I looked. He may spend less time in the
> lab because he's out making money speaking to Creationist groups
> or consulting for the Wedge Project. But no one is hounding him
> out of academia.
> It looks like this guy's story is totally favricated and
> maliciously intended.

Sort of reminds me of Hovind's fable about talking
to an unidentified "professor" from Berkeley
(Professor of "what?" he does not say) on a
passenger jet about the "Big Bang".

Boikat

Jeff

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
On 16 May 2000 04:30:57 -0400, Boikat <boi...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>George Acton wrote:
>>
>> Boikat wrote:

>> > Full tone! BS detected. Hip waders on full.
>> > It's gonna get deep!

I find it funny that unidentified scientists that claim
evolution is a crock is taken as good evidence for a
conspiracy and yet clearly identified dissent among
creationists is somehow irrelevant.

>Boikat

Paul J. Koeck

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00

"Jeff" <boy...@delete.wehi.edu.au> wrote in message

> On 15 May 2000 16:54:56 -0400, Russell Glasser <rgla...@texas.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Has anybody else heard this BS? Who is George Caylor? Any chance of
> >verifying the story? Are there any molecular biologists in the
> >audience who want to comment?
> >
> >I am reposting this from the Motley Fool's Christian message board,
> >where I occasionally "lurk".
> >http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380070000831000
> >

> >On the Right Side by George V. Caylor
> >
> >"The Biologist"
> >
> snip

> >I didn't use Jeff's family name, although I doubt many New Yorkers read
> >the "Ledger." After all, Jeff is a good man who deserves to earn a good
> >living. I am just a bit angry that we allow him to be bullied by
> >evolutionists. It makes me yearn for the day when all molecular
> >biologists will be able to say: "Hey, there's an elephant in our living
> >room! Maybe we can make friends with it!"
> >
> >Caylor is a syndicated writer with Press Media Group, LLC.
>
> Yes, it was me. I confess. I feel so much better now that I am out
> of the closet. Everywhere I look I see design. Look, something
> designed my living room with an elephant in it. It all makes sense
> now.

No, actually it was me, but Mr. Caylor's memory seems to be a little faulty,
despite his claim of accuracy.

1. My name is Geoff (or Paul), not Jeff
2. I'm not a molecular biologist. Rather, I'm a cocoan sucrotologist
3. I wasn't talking about evolution; I was discussing the Pez Dispensors
4. It wasn't an elephant in my living room, it was my mother-in-law, and
she was only there for an afternoon to visit with my daughter

Unlike the average cretinist, I can distinguish reality from fantasy.

--
Paul J. Koeck, #360

EAC MindControl Beam(tm) Operator #34529085783828-4875

EAC Tech - Personal Mind Control at a great price!
Volume discounts available.

Don't let reality hit you in the ass on your way out.

Only an idiot or a PromiseKeeper cult member would
think that my opinions necessarily reflect those of
my employer.

To reply, change Byte.Me to newsguy