From soc.history.what-if A World Without Grass

1 view

JennyB

Apr 19, 2007, 7:41:36 AM4/19/07
I think maybe someof the folks here might have thoughts on this:

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.history.what-if/browse_frm/thread/3c399313b537dcfc/874e6a2b36081437#874e6a2b36081437

POD: Around 75 million years ago if this article is correct (http://
www.livescience.com/animalworld/051117_old_grass.html) the plant that
in OTL developed into grass (hereby defined as monocotyledonous green
plants in the family Poaceae) is eaten and grass as we know never
evolves up to the present day.

How goes the age of mamals without grass?

--
Mike Ralls

Robert Carnegie

Apr 19, 2007, 8:56:08 AM4/19/07
On Apr 19, 12:41 pm, JennyB <jennybr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think maybe someof the folks here might have thoughts on this:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/soc.history.what-if/browse_frm/thread/...
>
> POD: Around 75 million years ago if this article is correct (http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/051117_old_grass.html) the plant that

> in OTL developed into grass (hereby defined as monocotyledonous green
> plants in the family Poaceae) is eaten and grass as we know never
> evolves up to the present day.
>
> How goes the age of mamals without grass?

Of course there were early mammals throughout the dinosaur period.
But without grass seed, would we have had the age of giant birds?

Augray

Apr 19, 2007, 8:56:31 AM4/19/07
On 19 Apr 2007 04:41:36 -0700, JennyB <jenny...@googlemail.com>
wrote in <1176982896.2...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> :

Things that come to mind: No horses or agriculture.

Rich Townsend

Apr 19, 2007, 9:27:20 AM4/19/07

Read "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher, for a bleak look at what would
happen if grass disappeared today.

Kevin Wayne Williams

Apr 19, 2007, 9:59:42 AM4/19/07
The actual title is "No Blade of Grass". Apparently out of print.
KWW

Rich Townsend

Apr 19, 2007, 10:50:14 AM4/19/07

Well, my old Penguin copy clearly has "The Death of Grass" written across the
front. I wonder whether different titles were given in the UK and the USA (my
copy was bought in the UK, from an on-line second hand bookshop).?

Kevin Wayne Williams

Apr 19, 2007, 11:58:54 AM4/19/07
Rich Townsend wrote:
> Kevin Wayne Williams wrote:
>> Rich Townsend wrote:

>>> Read "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher, for a bleak look at
>>> what would happen if grass disappeared today.
>>>
>> The actual title is "No Blade of Grass". Apparently out of print.
>>

> Well, my old Penguin copy clearly has "The Death of Grass" written
> across the front. I wonder whether different titles were given in the UK
> and the USA (my copy was bought in the UK, from an on-line second hand
> bookshop).?

My copy is an old Avon edition from the 1960's ... it isn't handy right
now, so I can't give an exact date. No argument with you, though. It
appears to be a UK/US title difference. Amazon.com lists only "No Blade
of Grass", but Amazon.co.uk lists both "No Blade of Grass" and "The
Death of Grass."
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/john-christopher/death-of-grass.htm
lists many different printings under both titles.

Apparently the same thing happened with "The Ragged Edge" (US)/"A
Wrinkle in the Skin" (UK). That's a book I would love to read again.

KWW

Dan Luke

Apr 19, 2007, 2:17:27 PM4/19/07

"JennyB" wrote:

> How goes the age of mamals without grass?

Or the PGA tour?

--
Dan

"How can an idiot be a policeman? Answer me that!"
-Chief Inspector Dreyfus

Perplexed in Peoria

Apr 19, 2007, 3:08:05 PM4/19/07

"JennyB" <jenny...@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:1176982896.2...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

Much more uptight.

Bob C

Apr 19, 2007, 8:32:31 PM4/19/07

"Kevin Wayne Williams" <kww.n...@verizon.nut> wrote in message

When I read it, it was "No Blade of Grass." But this sort of retitling
goes on all the time .
In the US, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" became "Harry Potter
and the Sorceror's
Stone," which makes little sense and underlines the editors' impression
that they thought that
the US readers couldn't tell a philosopher from a sorceror, or that
historically there was
such an entity as the philosopher's stone.
Bob Carroll

John Wilkins

Apr 19, 2007, 9:38:37 PM4/19/07
Bob C <rwca...@optonline.net> wrote:

They were, I am given to understand, concerned that "philosopher" might
indicate some thought would be required to read the book, and that this
would cut into sales in the United States.

--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

Bill Morse

Apr 19, 2007, 11:29:58 PM4/19/07
Perplexed in Peoria wrote:

Love it. Or should I say: like far out, man.
--
Yours, Bill Morse

Walter Bushell

Apr 20, 2007, 4:48:31 AM4/20/07
In article <132etgb...@news.supernews.com>,

Is that the novel that appeared in "Life" magazine, called IIRC "No
Blade of Grass" sometime in the '50s? Hungry people bring down
civilization.

Walter Bushell

Apr 20, 2007, 4:46:14 AM4/20/07
In article <1176982896.2...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
JennyB <jenny...@googlemail.com> wrote:

No internet and software is very different. Oh, grasses like wheat and
corn and crab grass and rice.

Kevin Wayne Williams

Apr 20, 2007, 3:31:13 PM4/20/07
Walter Bushell wrote:
> In article <132etgb...@news.supernews.com>,
> Kevin Wayne Williams <kww.n...@verizon.nut> wrote:
>
>> Rich Townsend wrote:
>>> Read "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher, for a bleak look at what
>>> would happen if grass disappeared today.
>>>
>> The actual title is "No Blade of Grass". Apparently out of print.
>
> Is that the novel that appeared in "Life" magazine, called IIRC "No
> Blade of Grass" sometime in the '50s? Hungry people bring down
> civilization.

Saturday Evening Post, 1957, apparently. You can buy parts 2 and 6 at
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&searchwithin=Go&kn=no+blade+of+grass&n=100200039

KWW

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 21, 2007, 5:07:41 PM4/21/07
On Apr 19, 9:41 pm, JennyB <jennybr...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> How goes the age of mamals without grass?

Get oat! That's such a corny idea I'm a-maized you thought of it.
It's not just a run-of-the-mill idea, it really cuts against the
grain, and gets me all rye-led up. I can barley imagine wheat a world
without grass would be like, although I'm sure someone somewhere would
be chaffed to find out. They'd be so happy they'd start beating the
durum, in fact. They'd talk about it until they had sor(e) ghums.
They'd keep doing it until the situation turned triticale, then they'd
be classed as a cereal offender. No need to sugar coat it, they'd get
caned. They'd be bamboo-zled, in fact. Once that happened, they
wouldn't last long, but at least their punishment would be over
quick. In a t-rice, actually. And don't you emmer forget it.

Perplexed in Peoria

Apr 21, 2007, 6:05:24 PM4/21/07

<username_...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1177189661.3...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
, he said, in a no-doubt futile attempt to prevent a cascade by total
pre-emption. He is trying to cut against the grain here.

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 21, 2007, 7:23:38 PM4/21/07
On Apr 22, 8:05 am, "Perplexed in Peoria" <jimmene...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> <username_not_fo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in messagenews:1177189661.3...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Hay, I wouldn't want to be bran-ded a pre-empter! There's still
plenty more grass puns that can be spelt out. It's all about
winnowing out the good ones.

Don Cates

Apr 21, 2007, 7:26:21 PM4/21/07
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:05:24 GMT, "Perplexed in Peoria"
<jimme...@sbcglobal.net> posted:

Sorry, that's repetition and doesn't count. So ya been outfoxed a
little.
--
Don Cates ("he's a cunning rascal" - PN)

eerok

Apr 21, 2007, 8:00:25 PM4/21/07

Silly sod.

--
"The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
- George Bernard Shaw

Perplexed in Peoria

Apr 21, 2007, 8:42:28 PM4/21/07

"Don Cates" <catHO...@cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote in message news:462a9d5f...@news.mts.net...

Nah! He was cutting against the long grain. I cut against the short grain.

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 21, 2007, 8:44:08 PM4/21/07

In most forums, you'd be turfed out for saying that.

eerok

Apr 21, 2007, 9:08:28 PM4/21/07

You'd dew it if you cud -- you have that grazed look.

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 21, 2007, 9:42:11 PM4/21/07
The occasional clover pun is good, but sometimes you should just
steppe around the temptation. Although it's plain that you'd like to
b-ranch this thread off in a new direction, I think we should stick to
the kernel of truth revealed earlier; this little teff is just
distracting.

John Wilkins

Apr 21, 2007, 10:14:08 PM4/21/07
<username_...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 8:05 am, "Perplexed in Peoria" <jimmene...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:

> > <username_not_fo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote...

> > > Get oat! That's such a corny idea I'm a-maized you thought of it.
> > > It's not just a run-of-the-mill idea, it really cuts against the
> > > grain, and gets me all rye-led up. I can barley imagine wheat a world
> > > without grass would be like, although I'm sure someone somewhere would
> > > be chaffed to find out. They'd be so happy they'd start beating the
> > > durum, in fact. They'd talk about it until they had sor(e) ghums.
> > > They'd keep doing it until the situation turned triticale, then they'd
> > > be classed as a cereal offender. No need to sugar coat it, they'd get
> > > caned. They'd be bamboo-zled, in fact. Once that happened, they
> > > wouldn't last long, but at least their punishment would be over
> > > quick. In a t-rice, actually. And don't you emmer forget it.
> >
> > , he said, in a no-doubt futile attempt to prevent a cascade by total
> > pre-emption. He is trying to cut against the grain here.
>
> Hay, I wouldn't want to be bran-ded a pre-empter! There's still
> plenty more grass puns that can be spelt out. It's all about
> winnowing out the good ones.

Well I just hope you have the good graze not to post them here.

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 21, 2007, 11:26:15 PM4/21/07
On Apr 22, 12:14 pm, j.wilki...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:

> <username_not_fo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > On Apr 22, 8:05 am, "Perplexed in Peoria" <jimmene...@sbcglobal.net>
> > wrote:
> > > <username_not_fo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote...

> > > , he said, in a no-doubt futile attempt to prevent a cascade by total
> > > pre-emption. He is trying to cut against the grain here.
>
> > Hay, I wouldn't want to be bran-ded a pre-empter! There's still
> > plenty more grass puns that can be spelt out. It's all about
> > winnowing out the good ones.
>
> Well I just hope you have the good graze not to post them here.

Sadly, no; I'm a gluten for punishment.

CreateThis

Apr 21, 2007, 11:49:16 PM4/21/07

What are you guys smoking?

CT

John Wilkins

Apr 21, 2007, 11:53:28 PM4/21/07
CreateThis <Creat...@yippee.con> wrote:

Me? Nothing. Ergot, I'm insane.

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 21, 2007, 11:59:48 PM4/21/07
On Apr 22, 1:49 pm, CreateThis <CreateT...@yippee.con> wrote:

I've never smoked anything, my voice is just naturally husk-y.

Mark Isaak

Apr 22, 2007, 2:08:03 AM4/22/07

Poa baby.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) earthlink (dot) net
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 22, 2007, 3:02:12 AM4/22/07

Bean reading closely?

Desertphile

Apr 22, 2007, 10:36:24 AM4/22/07
On 21 Apr 2007 14:07:41 -0700, username_...@yahoo.com.au
wrote:

You could make good bread writing for Seinfield.

--
http://desertphile.org
"I've hired myself out as a tourist attraction." -- Spike

Tiny Bulcher

Apr 22, 2007, 1:58:20 PM4/22/07
žus cwęš John Wilkins:

Please, no mower!

CreateThis

Apr 22, 2007, 2:14:15 PM4/22/07
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:58:20 +0100, "Tiny Bulcher" <RSGD...@aol.com>
wrote:

So, would a marijuana plant that smokes grass be a cannabinol?

CT

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 22, 2007, 4:12:49 PM4/22/07
On Apr 23, 3:58 am, "Tiny Bulcher" <RSGD9...@aol.com> wrote:
> žus cwęš John Wilkins:
>

> > CreateThis <CreateT...@yippee.con> wrote:

So you think this whole thread should be put out to pasture?

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 22, 2007, 4:17:20 PM4/22/07
On Apr 23, 12:36 am, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2007 14:07:41 -0700, username_not_fo...@yahoo.com.au

> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 19, 9:41 pm, JennyB <jennybr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > How goes the age of mamals without grass?
> > Get oat! That's such a corny idea I'm a-maized you thought of it.
> > It's not just a run-of-the-mill idea, it really cuts against the
> > grain, and gets me all rye-led up. I can barley imagine wheat a world
> > without grass would be like, although I'm sure someone somewhere would
> > be chaffed to find out. They'd be so happy they'd start beating the
> > durum, in fact. They'd talk about it until they had sor(e) ghums.
> > They'd keep doing it until the situation turned triticale, then they'd
> > be classed as a cereal offender. No need to sugar coat it, they'd get
> > caned. They'd be bamboo-zled, in fact. Once that happened, they
> > wouldn't last long, but at least their punishment would be over
> > quick. In a t-rice, actually. And don't you emmer forget it.
>
> You could make good bread writing for Seinfield.

Some of my ideas are pretty half-baked, though.

John Wilkins

Apr 22, 2007, 11:19:53 PM4/22/07
<username_...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Well I couldn't do it. Id be always loafing about. Like they say, if you
can't stand the heat, get out of the oven.

username_...@yahoo.com.au

Apr 23, 2007, 9:53:03 PM4/23/07
On Apr 23, 1:19 pm, j.wilki...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:

> <username_not_fo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > On Apr 23, 12:36 am, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:

> > > You could make good bread writing for Seinfield.
>
> > Some of my ideas are pretty half-baked, though.
>
> Well I couldn't do it. Id be always loafing about. Like they say, if you
> can't stand the heat, get out of the oven.

You certainly have a floury turn of phrase.

Ron O

Apr 24, 2007, 7:19:20 AM4/24/07
On Apr 19, 7:56 am, Augray <aug...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2007 04:41:36 -0700, JennyB <jennybr...@googlemail.com>

> wrote in <1176982896.259075.116...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> :
>
> >I think maybe someof the folks here might have thoughts on this:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/soc.history.what-if/browse_frm/thread/...

> >POD: Around 75 million years ago if this article is correct (http://
> >www.livescience.com/animalworld/051117_old_grass.html) the plant that
> >in OTL developed into grass (hereby defined as monocotyledonous green
> >plants in the family Poaceae) is eaten and grass as we know never
> >evolves up to the present day.
>
> >How goes the age of mamals without grass?
>
> Things that come to mind: No horses or agriculture.

No wheat, barley, rye, oats, sorgum, maize, sugar cane, etc.

Just think what the world would be without angiosperms in general.
"Have you ever eaten a pine tree? Many parts are edible."

Ron Okimoto

Greg G.

Apr 24, 2007, 3:02:13 PM4/24/07

Euell be sorry for that one.

Ron O

Apr 25, 2007, 9:18:03 PM4/25/07
> Euell be sorry for that one.- Hide quoted text -

Only a true Darwinist would hawk Ape Nuts for breakfast.

Ron Okimoto