In the News: MU professor takes heat for views on ?intelligent design?

Jason Spaceman

Apr 25, 2007, 4:29:15 PM4/25/07
From the article:
By JACOB LUECKE of the Tribune's staff
Published Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Columbia medical professor made his case for scientific acceptance
of "intelligent design" last night and found himself taking fire from his
peers for his view.

John Marshall, a professor of internal medicine at the University of
Missouri-Columbia, argued in front of about 100 people in a University
Hospital auditorium that mainstream scientists were trying to kick
intelligent design "off the playing field of science."

At the heart of the argument for design, say proponents, is that elements of
life and the physical world cannot be explained by evolution and show signs
of being formed by an intelligent creator.

"It's as much science as Darwinian evolution is science," Marshall
said. "And as a theory, I believe that intelligent design fits the evidence
of biology better than Darwinian evolution."

Marshall held up DNA as a possible example of intelligent design in action,
calling it the "most complex, densely packed, elaborate assembly of
information in the known universe."

He said DNA even bears similarities to computer codes or a language.

"There's some three billion characters of information in each of our cells,"
he said. "If one were to put this code, write it out like you would onto a
newspaper, you would fill some 75,000 pages of the New York Times."

Some scientists in the audience, however, accused Marshall of masking
religion as science.

"I think" intelligent design "is a code word for God," said John O'Connor, a
water consultant and retired chairman of the MU Department of Civil
Engineering. "I think that there's no reason for us to mince around and
pretend that that's not really what" intelligent design "is trying to
propagate."

Frank Schmidt, an MU biochemistry professor, said he counted "21 distortions
15 half-truths and 10 untruths" in Marshall's 45-minute presentation.

Read it at http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Apr/20070425News006.asp

J. Spaceman

Desertphile

Apr 25, 2007, 8:36:21 PM4/25/07
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:29:15 -0400, Jason Spaceman
<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:

> From the article:
> By JACOB LUECKE of the Tribune's staff
> Published Wednesday, April 25, 2007
>
> A Columbia medical professor made his case for scientific acceptance
> of "intelligent design" last night and found himself taking fire from his
> peers for his view.

When an adult starts speaking about mythology and fairy tales as
if they were real, she or he can expect to "take fire" from sane
adults.

--
http://desertphile.org
"I've hired myself out as a tourist attraction." -- Spike

Ron O

Apr 26, 2007, 7:30:09 AM4/26/07
On Apr 25, 3:29 pm, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> From the article:
> By JACOB LUECKE of the Tribune's staff
> Published Wednesday, April 25, 2007
>
> A Columbia medical professor made his case for scientific acceptance
> of "intelligent design" last night and found himself taking fire from his
> peers for his view.
>
> John Marshall, a professor of internal medicine at the University of
> Missouri-Columbia, argued in front of about 100 people in a University
> Hospital auditorium that mainstream scientists were trying to kick
> intelligent design "off the playing field of science."
>
> At the heart of the argument for design, say proponents, is that elements of
> life and the physical world cannot be explained by evolution and show signs
> of being formed by an intelligent creator.
>
> "It's as much science as Darwinian evolution is science," Marshall
> said. "And as a theory, I believe that intelligent design fits the evidence
> of biology better than Darwinian evolution."

How could any rational person believe this when the ID creationist
scam artists have dropped ID for a new scam that doesn't even mention
that ID ever existed? Just try and find ID mentioned in the public
faces of the "teach the controversy" scam. They use ID to pretend
that they are part of the "controversy," but when they have to
actually put up a lesson plan on what to teach the rubes find out that
they can't even mention that ID ever existed. ID is currently only
being used as smoke to make the dishonest replacment scam look legit.

> Marshall held up DNA as a possible example of intelligent design in action,
> calling it the "most complex, densely packed, elaborate assembly of
> information in the known universe."
>
> He said DNA even bears similarities to computer codes or a language.
>
> "There's some three billion characters of information in each of our cells,"
> he said. "If one were to put this code, write it out like you would onto a
> newspaper, you would fill some 75,000 pages of the New York Times."
>
> Some scientists in the audience, however, accused Marshall of masking
> religion as science.
>
> "I think" intelligent design "is a code word for God," said John O'Connor, a
> water consultant and retired chairman of the MU Department of Civil
> Engineering. "I think that there's no reason for us to mince around and
> pretend that that's not really what" intelligent design "is trying to
> propagate."
>
> Frank Schmidt, an MU biochemistry professor, said he counted "21 distortions
> 15 half-truths and 10 untruths" in Marshall's 45-minute presentation.

Only? Why so few, the guy was probably not paying attention.;-)

Ron Okimoto

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-
>
> Read it athttp://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Apr/20070425News006.asp
>
> J. Spaceman

Rodjk #613

Apr 26, 2007, 10:18:30 AM4/26/07
On Apr 26, 12:29 am, Jason Spaceman

<notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:
> From the article:
> By JACOB LUECKE of the Tribune's staff
> Published Wednesday, April 25, 2007
>
> A Columbia medical professor made his case for scientific acceptance
> of "intelligent design" last night and found himself taking fire from his
> peers for his view.

<SNIP>

> Frank Schmidt, an MU biochemistry professor, said he counted "21 distortions
> 15 half-truths and 10 untruths" in Marshall's 45-minute presentation.

Wow, is that all?
That must be some sort of record for an ID supporter.

Rodjk #613

Conspiracy of Doves

Apr 26, 2007, 1:04:09 PM4/26/07
On Apr 25, 4:29 pm, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> From the article:
> By JACOB LUECKE of the Tribune's staff
> Published Wednesday, April 25, 2007
>
> A Columbia medical professor made his case for scientific acceptance
> of "intelligent design" last night and found himself taking fire from his
> peers for his view.
>
> John Marshall, a professor of internal medicine at the University of
> Missouri-Columbia, argued in front of about 100 people in a University
> Hospital auditorium that mainstream scientists were trying to kick
> intelligent design "off the playing field of science."

Of COURSE they are trying to push it off the playing field of science.
That is the JOB of scientists. Any idea that appears of the playing
field, they try to push off. That's how science works. If, by using
logic and evidence and the scientific method, they aren't able to push
it off, then it gets to stay. That is where established theories come
from. Granted, in the case of ID, all they had to do was give it a
little finger flick and it went flying for miles. Doctor or no doctor,
this guy doesn't understand how science works.

Ken Denny

Apr 26, 2007, 1:43:21 PM4/26/07
wrote:

> He said DNA even bears similarities to computer codes or a language.
>
> "There's some three billion characters of information in each of our cells,"
> he said. "If one were to put this code, write it out like you would onto a
> newspaper, you would fill some 75,000 pages of the New York Times."

How intelligently designed is a 75,000 page newspaper that contains <
10,000 pages of useful information?

richardal...@googlemail.com

Apr 26, 2007, 3:52:55 PM4/26/07
On Apr 25, 9:29 pm, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:

...which means that he was being unusually honest for a creationist.

RF

Desertphile

Apr 26, 2007, 4:08:35 PM4/26/07
On 26 Apr 2007 07:18:30 -0700, Rodjk #613 <rjk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 26, 12:29 am, Jason Spaceman
> <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > From the article:
> > By JACOB LUECKE of the Tribune's staff
> > Published Wednesday, April 25, 2007
> >
> > A Columbia medical professor made his case for scientific acceptance
> > of "intelligent design" last night and found himself taking fire from his
> > peers for his view.

> <SNIP>

> > Frank Schmidt, an MU biochemistry professor, said he counted "21 distortions
> > 15 half-truths and 10 untruths" in Marshall's 45-minute presentation.

> Wow, is that all?
> That must be some sort of record for an ID supporter.

Rev Kent Hovind can do that is a mere 10 minutes.

--
http://desertphile.org

"Hey Amy. How have you been?" -- Buffy
"Rat. And you?" -- Amy
"Dead." -- Buffy

Bobby Bryant

Apr 26, 2007, 8:20:01 PM4/26/07
In article <1177607049.3...@t39g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

Conspiracy of Doves <mark...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Granted, in the case of ID, all they had to do was give it a little
> finger flick and it went flying

...like a booger?

Sorry, my contempt for such blatently political pseudoscience is showing.

--
Bobby Bryant
Reno, Nevada

Remove your hat to reply by e-mail.

Cemtech

Apr 27, 2007, 10:12:46 PM4/27/07
In article <f0odmt$o0o$1...@news.datemas.de>,
notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org says...

That's about 1 goof per minute. Standard creationist. =)

--
Steve "Chris" Price
Associate Professor of Computational Aesthetics

Cemtech

Apr 27, 2007, 10:14:16 PM4/27/07
In article <vk12331rvbjku7sti...@4ax.com>,
deser...@nospam.org says...

> On 26 Apr 2007 07:18:30 -0700, Rodjk #613 <rjk...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 26, 12:29 am, Jason Spaceman
> > <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > > From the article:
> > > By JACOB LUECKE of the Tribune's staff
> > > Published Wednesday, April 25, 2007
> > >
> > > A Columbia medical professor made his case for scientific acceptance
> > > of "intelligent design" last night and found himself taking fire from his
> > > peers for his view.
>
> > <SNIP>
>
> > > Frank Schmidt, an MU biochemistry professor, said he counted "21 distortions
> > > 15 half-truths and 10 untruths" in Marshall's 45-minute presentation.
>
> > Wow, is that all?
> > That must be some sort of record for an ID supporter.
>
> Rev Kent Hovind can do that is a mere 10 minutes.

That's because Kent "The Convict" Hovnid is a professional. =)

--
On creationists...
"They are stone cold...f*#!...nuts. I can't be kind

Mike Dworetsky

Apr 28, 2007, 11:29:30 AM4/28/07
"Cemtech" <cm...@cox.net> wrote in message

And close to the maximum. When giving a talk, I estimate the likely time it
will take as one minute per slide (= power point slide, I'm very modern...).
And in a 45 min talk, 46 goofs were spotted. So unless it was a "Gish
Gallop" the speaker (assuming he used power point) was making only errors
and made no valid points.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Robert Carnegie

Apr 28, 2007, 11:33:02 AM4/28/07
> From the article:

> John Marshall, a professor of internal medicine at the University of
> Missouri-Columbia, argued in front of about 100 people in a University
> Hospital auditorium that mainstream scientists were trying to kick
> intelligent design "off the playing field of science."

Intelligent design turned up without the appropriate clothing and
footwear, and offered an unconvincing note from Philip Johnson about
suffering premature attention. That is why intelligent design was
sent away from the playing field. Intelligent design was lucky not to
be told to play the whole game in its underwear.

Desertphile

Apr 28, 2007, 2:27:15 PM4/28/07
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:14:16 -0700, Cemtech <cm...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <vk12331rvbjku7sti...@4ax.com>,
> deser...@nospam.org says...
> > On 26 Apr 2007 07:18:30 -0700, Rodjk #613 <rjk...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > <SNIP>

> > > Wow, is that all?
> > > That must be some sort of record for an ID supporter.
> >
> > Rev Kent Hovind can do that is a mere 10 minutes.

> That's because Kent "The Convict" Hovnid is a professional. =)

Heee. I didn't think of that. Perhaps amateur liars could learn
from him. One newspaper article estimated that Rev Hovind is paid
at a minimum of US$50,000 a year for giving traveling sermons:
that is fairly moderate for a professional liar, but I imagine he
did not report most of his income.

Bobby Bryant

Apr 28, 2007, 8:49:15 PM4/28/07
In article <5IKdnfRn3KHA9a7b...@bt.com>,

"Mike Dworetsky" <plati...@pants.btinternet.com> writes:
> "Cemtech" <cm...@cox.net> wrote in message
>> In article <f0odmt$o0o$1...@news.datemas.de>,
>> notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org says...

>>> From the article:

>>> Frank Schmidt, an MU biochemistry professor, said he counted "21

>>> distortions 15 half-truths and 10 untruths" in Marshall's
>>> 45-minute presentation.
>>
>> That's about 1 goof per minute. Standard creationist. =)
>
> And close to the maximum. When giving a talk, I estimate the likely
> time it will take as one minute per slide (= power point slide, I'm
> very modern...). And in a 45 min talk, 46 goofs were spotted. So
> unless it was a "Gish Gallop" the speaker (assuming he used power
> point) was making only errors and made no valid points.

Surely an expert could make several errors per slide.

Cemtech

Apr 28, 2007, 9:06:19 PM4/28/07
In article <fYRYh.6096$rO7....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
bdbr...@wherever.ur says...

Or perhaps taking cues from the clueless here, like ayres, bimms or Ray.
These guys can make 3 goofs per sentence. =)
--
Creationists support genocide.
"God is like Shakespeare, he can do whatever he wishes with his

Conspiracy of Doves

Apr 29, 2007, 2:51:27 PM4/29/07
On Apr 26, 8:20 pm, bdbry...@wherever.ur (Bobby Bryant) wrote:
> In article <1177607049.313680.134...@t39g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

> Conspiracy of Doves <mark_d...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Granted, in the case of ID, all they had to do was give it a little
> > finger flick and it went flying
>
> ...like a booger?

Yes, exactly like that.