Commentary: Bobby Jindal's Creationist Talking Points

Jason Spaceman

Oct 21, 2007, 2:44:34 PM10/21/07
Meet the new governor of Louisiana:
On September 27, 2007, after avoiding public events where he might be asked
unanticipated questions, Louisiana gubernatorial candidate Bobby Jindal
participated in a televised forum that was carried live by Louisiana Public
Broadcasting (LPB).

In a segment in which each panelist was allowed to direct one question to a
specific candidate, Baton Rouge Advocate columnist Carl Redman asked Jindal
how his personal faith might influence his policies as governor on the
issues of abortion, the teaching of intelligent design, and prayer at
public meetings. Jindal addressed abortion and prayer but skipped
intelligent design. Requesting time for a follow-up, Redman steered him
back to that part of the question. Jindal?s response clearly indicated that
he supports teaching intelligent design (ID) creationism in public schools
(transcript below). However, the interesting aspect of his answer was that
he seems to know the talking points and code language that ID creationists
at the Discovery Institute?s Center for Science and Culture (CSC) use to
promote ID. The Discovery Institute (DI), a conservative Seattle think
tank, is the headquarters of the ID creationist movement. Jindal also used
such talking points during his first race for governor four years ago when
asked whether he supported teaching creationism.

Read it at http://www.talk2action.org/story/2007/10/15/222041/63

J. Spaceman

Bobby Bryant

Oct 21, 2007, 5:31:23 PM10/21/07
In article <ffg6na$rb3$1...@news.datemas.de>,

Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> writes:
> Meet the new governor of Louisiana:
> On September 27, 2007, after avoiding public events where he might
> be asked unanticipated questions, Louisiana gubernatorial candidate
> Bobby Jindal participated in a televised forum that was carried live
> by Louisiana Public Broadcasting (LPB).
>
> In a segment in which each panelist was allowed to direct one
> question to a specific candidate, Baton Rouge Advocate columnist
> Carl Redman asked Jindal how his personal faith might influence his
> policies as governor on the issues of abortion, the teaching of
> intelligent design, and prayer at public meetings. Jindal addressed
> abortion and prayer but skipped intelligent design. Requesting time
> for a follow-up, Redman steered him back to that part of the
> question. Jindal?s response clearly indicated that he supports
> teaching intelligent design (ID) creationism in public schools
> (transcript below). However, the interesting aspect of his answer
> was that he seems to know the talking points and code language that
> ID creationists at the Discovery Institute?s Center for Science and
> Culture (CSC) use to promote ID.

Naturally. That's what they designed those talking points for --
making political/legal support for a religious belief look like
support for science.

--
Bobby Bryant
Reno, Nevada

Remove your hat to reply by e-mail.

Desertphile

Oct 23, 2007, 4:15:00 PM10/23/07
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:44:34 -0400, Jason Spaceman
<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Meet the new governor of Louisiana:

> On September 27, 2007, after avoiding public events where he might be asked
> unanticipated questions,

Golly, how very George Bush2 of him.

--
http://desertphile.org
"Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz

Jack Frieze

Oct 24, 2007, 11:08:10 AM10/24/07

Jason Spaceman wrote:
<SNIP>

> Jindal?s response clearly indicated that
> he supports teaching intelligent design (ID) creationism in public schools
> (transcript below). However, the interesting aspect of his answer was that
> he seems to know the talking points and code language that ID creationists
> at the Discovery Institute?s Center for Science and Culture (CSC) use to
> promote ID. The Discovery Institute (DI), a conservative Seattle think
> tank, is the headquarters of the ID creationist movement. Jindal also used
> such talking points during his first race for governor four years ago when
> asked whether he supported teaching creationism.
>
> Read it at http://www.talk2action.org/story/2007/10/15/222041/63
<SNIP>

This is especially disappointing to me. Although I have declined to
support him politically in his congressional and gubernatorial
campaigns,
I was convinced that he was at least a smart man. Now I must choose
between his being taken in by the DI's message or that he is a more
shameless panderer than the minimum required for election. I can
live with and have voted for a dishonest governor, but a stupid one
is hard to bear.
--
Jack Frieze Cold of heart, dull of wit, void of soul, short on guts

Noelie S. Alito

Oct 24, 2007, 6:59:16 PM10/24/07

As in the pro-Edwards slogan "Vote for the crook. It's important."

> but a stupid one
> is hard to bear.

Man, I hear you. (BTW, I never did know Blanco's ID position.)

From the article: "Jindal’s answer clearly indicated that this
Rhodes scholar and Brown University biology graduate does indeed
support teaching creationism."

Time to shame Brown University now, isn't it?

Noelie

--
"Rhyming with 'goalie' for over 47 years."