Condolences to VA Tech

1 view

chris.li...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2007, 1:49:04 PM4/16/07
If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.

Chris

er...@swva.net

Apr 16, 2007, 3:27:05 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 1:49 pm, "chris.linthomp...@gmail.com"

Clayton works there, I believe. I hope he and his are okay. I live
about a half hour south of there and hope I don't know any of the
unfortunate victims. How ghastly.

Eric Root

Richard Clayton

Apr 16, 2007, 3:51:09 PM4/16/07
> If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
> my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.

Holy cow. I lived in Blacksburg for two years; it's a lovely little
university town. I have a hard time imagining anything like this
happening in the area.

The victims, their families, and anybody in the area has my most
sincere sympathy.

Terry

Apr 16, 2007, 4:07:58 PM4/16/07

The gunman was here illegally. Homeland security is a joke.

Craig T

Apr 16, 2007, 4:31:31 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 3:07 pm, Terry <Kilow...@charter.net> wrote:

I haven't seen any info about the gunman. Where did you find something?

Message has been deleted

David Iain Greig

Apr 16, 2007, 4:55:33 PM4/16/07
nmp <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
> Op Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:31:31 -0700, schreef Craig T:

>> On Apr 16, 3:07 pm, Terry <Kilow...@charter.net> wrote:
>
> [..]

>>> The gunman was here illegally. Homeland security is a joke.
>>
>> I haven't seen any info about the gunman. Where did you find something?
>
> Mu guess is he didn't.

Zen why did he say so?

--D.

loua...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2007, 5:19:47 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 3:07 pm, Terry <Kilow...@charter.net> wrote:

(one check of CNN, AP, and Reuters later)

Here, in a separate field, is an example of what we dislike about
creationists. You see, as of this writing no information has been
released not only about the nationality or (if any) immigration
status. Or even NAME.*

So unless you have a knowledgeable source for your "the gunman was
here illegally" statement, you're deriving that statement from a
process called "making things up." Another term for "making things up"
is "lying."

The professional ethical position taught in science, and I think
you'll find it also somewhere in the Bible, is that LYING IS WRONG. We
would like you to stop it, please.

LQM

*The smart money would be on "socially inept white male student of the
same university," probably shortly after some sort of disappointment
like being fired or dumped by his girlfriend. But I have no data; it
could be an Inuit woman who picked the location with a map and a
dartboard, for all I can prove to the contrary. Or that you can prove.

chris.li...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2007, 5:56:08 PM4/16/07

The Chief of Campus Security just got finished with a Press Conference
and did not provide any information on the shooter other than he was
male.

Terry is a pathetic troll, looking for attention in any way he can. We
can pity him at the same time as we abhor the tactics he uses.

Chris

MitchAlsup

Apr 16, 2007, 6:11:47 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 3:07 pm, Terry <Kilow...@charter.net> wrote:

> The gunman was here illegally. Homeland security is a joke.

The gunman was here illegaly, with an illegal gun in an area
designated as gun free.

This would have gone a lot better if 1% of the students were CCLed.

er...@swva.net

Apr 16, 2007, 6:14:19 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 5:19 pm, "louan...@yahoo.com" <louan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

On local NPR just now (6 PM Eastern time) they said that the gunman
had no identifying papers on him.

Eric Root

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 6:36:04 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 3:51 pm, "Richard Clayton" <rich.e.clay...@gmail.com>
wrote:

If anyone knows where this terrorist does his Mosquing, and retaliates
by vaporizing the entire pack of them while they are praying to their
rug with their anus in the superior position, He should be given
amnesty. That's all based upon if, of course, if he was a regular
terrorist with a normal Mosqing practice.

alwaysaskingquestions

Apr 16, 2007, 6:36:12 PM4/16/07

<chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
> my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.

Sadly, far too common, especially in the USA.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

Nashton

Apr 16, 2007, 6:43:10 PM4/16/07

Indeed. It's such a freaking shame. My prayers go out to the families.

--

Nicolas

Kermit

Apr 16, 2007, 6:55:13 PM4/16/07

We thank you for your concern and expressions of sympathy. I trust
that a caring soul such as yourself would be equally courteous should
the shooter turn out to be a Christian.

Kermit

Bob T.

Apr 16, 2007, 6:57:44 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 3:36 pm, "derdag" <der...@chilledwatertech.com> wrote:

The "terrorist" might well have been a Christian who, as LQM pointed
out, likely went to the same school. If so, should we vaporize
everyone in his church?

By the way - why are you so fascinated with anuses? Is it some sort
of sublimation of your supressed gay desires?

- Bob T

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 7:04:28 PM4/16/07
> Kermit- Hide quoted text -

LOL No. In that case they should find his mommy, and fry her
ignorant feminist hide in the electric chair.

Ron O

Apr 16, 2007, 7:08:04 PM4/16/07

Good post to demonstrate the utter lack of competent rational
thought. You obviously do not want anyone to believe that you are
rational and have a fair and open mind. Good work, this is probably
the best post that you have contributed to this forum for anyone to
get an idea of what your posts are worth.

Ron Okimoto

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 7:05:32 PM4/16/07
> - Bob T- Hide quoted text -

Not likely. He was a lib. He is a lawbreaker.

Ye Old One

Apr 16, 2007, 7:15:17 PM4/16/07
On 16 Apr 2007 10:49:04 -0700, "chris.li...@gmail.com"

Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.

It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.

--
Bob.

Bob T.

Apr 16, 2007, 7:33:46 PM4/16/07

The perpetrator, who is obviously a gun nut, was clearly a
conservative. A liberal lawbreaker would have sold pot to the
victims.

- Bob T.

Mark VandeWettering

Apr 16, 2007, 8:11:53 PM4/16/07

I'm pretty sure I don't have any identifying papers on me too.

Mark

> Eric Root

Lee Jay

Apr 16, 2007, 8:39:32 PM4/16/07

So, for a christian, you kill his mom, and for a muslim, you kill his
community. Thanks for confirming your complete and utter bigotry.

Lee Jay

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 8:54:12 PM4/16/07
> Lee Jay- Hide quoted text -

You sure do jump to a lot of conclusions. I believe in a "make my
day" law, like they have in Texas. Amnesty for certain crimes of
passion.

For example, if some of the students had been carrying or if some
Profs had enough forethought to get a conseal and carry permit, like I
have, the gunman would have killed fewer people.

Why are you such a racist?

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 8:56:56 PM4/16/07
> - Bob T.- Hide quoted text -

Short person complex. Snapped.

Desertphile

Apr 16, 2007, 8:55:55 PM4/16/07
<chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
> my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.

"A White House spokesman said President Bush was horrified by the
rampage and offered his prayers to the victims and the people of
Virginia." But Bush2 is not horrified at the 700,000+ Iraqis, most
of them civilians, butchered because of his invasion.

My heart and prayers go out to the VT victims and family members.

--
http://desertphile.org

Desertphile

Apr 16, 2007, 8:57:52 PM4/16/07
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:15:17 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
wrote:

Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 9:18:18 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 8:57 pm, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:15:17 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On 16 Apr 2007 10:49:04 -0700, "chris.linthomp...@gmail.com"

> > <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> enriched this group when s/he wrote:
>
> > >If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
> > >my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.
>
> > >Chris
> > Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
>
> > It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
>
> Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.
>
> --http://desertphile.org

> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water

We are in complete agreement. Teachers should be required to keep
their weapon consealed and current on their weapon training.

How stupid is it that not one Prof was carrying a consealed weapon?

Feminists and liberals can own their share of the blame in cases such
as this. The Democrats can't hide from this. It will never change,
until they begin to think logically.

Lee Jay

Apr 16, 2007, 9:27:06 PM4/16/07

You made it easy. You said you were.

> I believe in a "make my
> day" law, like they have in Texas. Amnesty for certain crimes of
> passion.
>
> For example, if some of the students had been carrying or if some
> Profs had enough forethought to get a conseal and carry permit, like I
> have, the gunman would have killed fewer people.
>
> Why are you such a racist?

What did I say that makes you think I am? And for/against which
races? Or are you just being delusional again?

Lee Jay

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 9:34:44 PM4/16/07

You attributed biggotism to me. I can play by those rules too. Now,
we're playing the same game. How long has it been since you came out
of the closet? Did your mother and father have any problems with the
homosexuality?

Tom McDonald

Apr 16, 2007, 9:36:32 PM4/16/07

I am a liberal feminist Democrat. Would it be logical for me to take
my rifle and shoot you?

Please, work with me on this. It is very hard to know who to kill
right out of the gate.

chris.li...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2007, 9:39:20 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 9:18 pm, derdag <der...@chilledwatertech.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:57 pm, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:15:17 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
> > wrote:

> > > Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
>
> > > It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
>
> > Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.
>
> > --http://desertphile.org
> > Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water
>
> We are in complete agreement. Teachers should be required to keep
> their weapon consealed and current on their weapon training.

I find it difficult, if not impossible, to put any stock in any
poliltical or social plan, especially one concerning firearms, put
forth by someone who cannot spell 'conceal'.

> How stupid is it that not one Prof was carrying a consealed weapon?

Because colleges and universities are not armed camps. Rational people
in this society find no need to go to work armed every day.

> Feminists and liberals can own their share of the blame in cases such
> as this. The Democrats can't hide from this. It will never change,
> until they begin to think logically.

I know you are just trolling for comments here, but it's surely a vile
way to do it. You are ramping your trolls up on the backs of 30 or
more innocent people dead. People who you never knew, never cared
about, people with families and lives. It boggles my mind that you-
or anyone- can post this kind of sewage when the sun has barely set on
the scene of this tragedy. You are either terribly puerile or terribly
immoral, but I do not discount the possibility that you are some
twisted combination of both.

Chris

Richard Clayton

Apr 16, 2007, 9:37:08 PM4/16/07
er...@swva.net wrote:
> On Apr 16, 1:49 pm, "chris.linthomp...@gmail.com"
> <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
>> my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.
>>
>> Chris
>
> Clayton works there, I believe. I hope he and his are okay. I live
> about a half hour south of there and hope I don't know any of the
> unfortunate victims. How ghastly.

If you mean me, no, I wasn't a VT employee-- I just lived and worked in
Blacksburg. And I moved away last October.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Richard Clayton

Richard Clayton

Apr 16, 2007, 9:41:40 PM4/16/07
Richard Clayton wrote:
> er...@swva.net wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 1:49 pm, "chris.linthomp...@gmail.com"
>> <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
>>> my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Clayton works there, I believe. I hope he and his are okay. I live
>> about a half hour south of there and hope I don't know any of the
>> unfortunate victims. How ghastly.
>
> If you mean me, no, I wasn't a VT employee-- I just lived and worked
> in Blacksburg. And I moved away last October.

I'm sorry, but due to an error while cutting and pasting I sent this
too soon. It should have included this vitally important final sentence:
"But thank you very much for your concern."

Richard Clayton

Apr 16, 2007, 9:40:14 PM4/16/07

Please don't feed the troll.

derdag

Apr 16, 2007, 9:50:08 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 9:36 pm, Tom McDonald <kilt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:18 pm, derdag <der...@chilledwatertech.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 16, 8:57 pm, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:

> > > Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.
>
> > > --http://desertphile.org
> > > Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water
>
> > We are in complete agreement. Teachers should be required to keep
> > their weapon consealed and current on their weapon training.
>
> > How stupid is it that not one Prof was carrying a consealed weapon?
>
> > Feminists and liberals can own their share of the blame in cases such
> > as this. The Democrats can't hide from this. It will never change,
> > until they begin to think logically.
>
> I am a liberal feminist Democrat.

Sicko.

Would it be logical for me to take
> my rifle and shoot you?

You wouldn't know logic. You're a lib. Of course it isn't logical.

> Please, work with me on this. It is very hard to know who to kill

> right out of the gate.- Hide quoted text -

What are your coordinates?

Richard Clayton

Apr 16, 2007, 9:44:29 PM4/16/07

Really, please stop feeding this troll. Ignore him long enough and
he'll gtfo and gb2 /b/.

(Yes, I realize that "don't feed the troll" posts are also music to a
troll's ears, so this is the last I'll say about it.)

dkomo

Apr 16, 2007, 9:55:28 PM4/16/07

The only thing obvious about the perpetrator at this point in time was
that he was a pretty good shooter.

What amazes me about the high body count was that this guy could walk
into crowded classrooms without challenge and take deliberate aim and
fire. Not one person there apparently tried to rush him and knock him
to the ground. That's probably all it would have taken to stop him.

--dk...@cris.com

Desertphile

Apr 16, 2007, 9:54:29 PM4/16/07
On 16 Apr 2007 18:18:18 -0700, derdag
<der...@chilledwatertech.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 8:57 pm, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:15:17 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
> > wrote:

> > > Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.

> > > It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.

> > Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.

> We are in complete agreement. Teachers should be required to keep
> their weapon consealed and current on their weapon training.

It would never work: human nature is such that people still kill
other people even knowing they may be killed in turn. This is why
the "death penalty" does not deter murder. Note also that the nut
who killed 33 people also killed himself--- a professor with a gun
would only have, PERHAPS, limited the number of deaths.

> How stupid is it that not one Prof was carrying a consealed weapon?
>
> Feminists and liberals can own their share of the blame in cases such
> as this. The Democrats can't hide from this. It will never change,
> until they begin to think logically.

I am a feminist, a liberal, and a member of the USA Democrat Party
(not by choice, of course: it is the lesser of evils), and I
advocate and encourage every sane and intelligent American citizen
to walk around armed and dangerous. Your hate-filled bigotry
therefore does not match reality.

Klaus

Apr 16, 2007, 10:01:16 PM4/16/07

No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
Klaus

derda...@chilledwatertech.com

Apr 16, 2007, 10:06:49 PM4/16/07
> --http://desertphile.org
> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water- Hide quoted text -

A-Men! God Bless You! Praise God and Pass the Ammunition! It is our
only hope for remaining Free.

Cemtech

Apr 16, 2007, 10:11:17 PM4/16/07
In article <MTVUh.162$H_...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>,
khel...@sbcglobal.net says...

But if people come to class with guns, how do you identify the nutjobs?

--
On creationists...
"They are stone cold...f*#!...nuts. I can't be kind

derda...@chilledwatertech.com

Apr 16, 2007, 10:15:05 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 9:44 pm, Richard Clayton <pockZIGetnZIG...@verizon.net>
wrote:
> "Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon- Hide quoted text -

My apologies for insensitivity. I have not seen TV coverage or news,
yet. Agreed. There are many people suffering heartache, and I'm
caught up in the pure idiocy of the anti-gun retardation. It makes me
just as furious to see this kind of stupidity. It was something that
has happened six or more times since Columbine. The answer is always
the same. Gun free zones are target rich and undefended.

Free Lunch

Apr 16, 2007, 10:26:05 PM4/16/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:01:16 GMT, in talk.origins
Klaus <khel...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
<MTVUh.162$H_...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>:

You are one sick puppy.

I'm usually a fan of a fairly broad reading of the Second Amendment, but
writers like you make me want to have guns taken away from every stupid,
insensitive, self-righteous NRA member in America.

I cannot believe you said something so self-serving here. Do you really
think that a bunch of amateurs would have done better than the cops?

derda...@chilledwatertech.com

Apr 16, 2007, 10:39:11 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 10:26 pm, Free Lunch <l...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:01:16 GMT, in talk.origins
> Klaus <khelln...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> <MTVUh.162$H_...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>:
>

> >Ye Old One wrote:

> >> Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
>
> >> It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
>
> >No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
> >guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
> >Klaus
>
> You are one sick puppy.
>
> I'm usually a fan of a fairly broad reading of the Second Amendment, but
> writers like you make me want to have guns taken away from every stupid,
> insensitive, self-righteous NRA member in America.
>
> I cannot believe you said something so self-serving here. Do you really
> think that a bunch of amateurs would have done better than the cops?- Hide quoted text -

I do.
It took the cops 5 Min to show up, and that was FAST!

They will have to be in the building, and someone will have to use
them. Students would be best, and they should be like anyone else...
Keep it concealed.

When it is needed, they will be ready.

All of the kids around here carry guns and shoot. I can barely afford
to keep them supplied with ammo. They have picked off at least 60
groundhogs already, and they have only had a few days to go out and
work on them.

All of them shot bucks.

They are making homemade bows and arrows.

Any one of these guys would have put a bullet in your lib down there,
and he wouldn't have killed as many.

That is the answer.

derda...@chilledwatertech.com

Apr 16, 2007, 10:44:15 PM4/16/07
> --http://desertphile.org
> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water- Hide quoted text -

I saw your gold page. You aren't a feminist. You'll tell any lie,
just to argue. It didn't work out for you. I didn't buy it.

Timberwoof

Apr 16, 2007, 11:40:58 PM4/16/07
In article <vtb82350j4n0em0ts...@4ax.com>,
Free Lunch <lu...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

No, actually, we need to turn the country into a police state, where
everybody joins the Boy Scouts (except the gay boys, of course; we know
we can't trust them with their pistols). Every Boy Scout would be
required to finish an introductory firearms and marksmanship course for
a merit badge that is prerequisite for the Tenderfoot rank. Every
successive rank must require additional firearms training and
marksmanship certification. Ones scores in this program become part of
ones Permanent Record, and employers will have the right to not hire
anyone whose firearms skill is not up to standard.

Any former member of the Armed Forces would be invited to teach firearms
courses at the local Boy Scout troop.

Once a year, Norm Abrams must include a program about how to build a
locking firearms cabinet, ammo box, and weapons cleaning toolkit.

Consumer Reports must be compelled to include firearms reviews in each
issue. The question of whether to buy a revolver, cartridge pistol,
rifle, or shotgun should be a no-brainer for anyone eleven years or
older.

We need to reinstate common-sense justice: an identifiably Bad Person
running down the street is automatically a suspect and can be shot on
sight.

Any person who witnesses a crime and does not bring a firearm to bear
should be forced to wear a yellow stripe down his back for the next six
to eighteen months.

The phrase "Riding Shotgun" should be taken literally. Auto and truck
manufacturers should include gun ports and spent-cartridge handling
systems.

It is only with such extreme measures that we can salvage what's left of
our peaceful nation.

Either that or I could be mistaken about all of this.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
Level 1 Linux technical support: Read The Fscking Manual!

Timberwoof

Apr 16, 2007, 11:42:26 PM4/16/07
In article <AsednUVDdsLOtLnb...@comcast.com>,
dkomo <dkom...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The only thing obvious about the perpetrator at this point in time was
> that he was a pretty good shooter.
>
> What amazes me about the high body count was that this guy could walk
> into crowded classrooms without challenge and take deliberate aim and
> fire. Not one person there apparently tried to rush him and knock him
> to the ground. That's probably all it would have taken to stop him.

Hmmm. Maybe you can expect that of a classroom full of Marines. But
wouldn't someone yell "take cover!"?

Timberwoof

Apr 16, 2007, 11:44:30 PM4/16/07
In article <1176773792.4...@w1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Tom McDonald <kil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, Derdag is a verifiable Bad Person: He has said things that show
he's not correctly in tune with the spirit of the Constitution. Let's
see if we can get him to run down the street.

Baron Bodissey

Apr 16, 2007, 11:52:23 PM4/16/07
On Apr 16, 9:18 pm, derdag <der...@chilledwatertech.com> wrote:
<snip>
> consealed
<snip>
> consealed
<snip>

Dude! Learn to spell: it's "concealed."

Baron Bodissey
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land when they see
nothing but sea.
- Francis Bacon

Bodega

Apr 17, 2007, 12:00:49 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 7:01 pm, Klaus <khelln...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[snip]

> No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
> guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
> Klaus

So you are saying every "law-abiding citizen" (whatever that is)
should be packin' a Beretta?

So if every high school student was carryin', the Columbine affair
never would have happened.

Go away, nutball.

Klaus

Apr 17, 2007, 12:10:56 AM4/17/07
Cemtech wrote:
> In article <MTVUh.162$H_...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>,
> khel...@sbcglobal.net says...
>
>>Ye Old One wrote:

>>>Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
>>>
>>>It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
>>>

>>No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
>>guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
>

> But if people come to class with guns, how do you identify the nutjobs?

I am talking about employees, not students. I agree that allowing
students to bear guns would pose some serious problems.
FYI, I was in San Ysidro when the McDonalds massacre went down. The
damned cops just let the gunman, who was a government employee, using at
least one pistol that belonged to the National Guard, kill one customer
after another. There were 2 snipers, with clear shots, just watching
through their scopes. They were told not to kill the SOB because the
police were concerned about liability if one of the live customers got
injured by a shard of glass. So, it was safer to let the gunman kill all
he wanted.
Klaus

dkomo

Apr 17, 2007, 12:16:11 AM4/17/07

This is completely over the top and unnecessary. A few common sense
precautions will keep our university campuses safe in the future:

1. Bulletproof vests need to become standard equipment for the college
student, just as ipods, cell phones with cameras, and wireless laptops
are today. These vests should be worn anytime a student goes to class
or to the library.

2. Students should carry Tasar guns with them at all times, and be
trained in their use. At least with a Tasar gun, if one student shoots
another by mistake thinking he is a deranged gunman, the consquences
will be non-lethal (probably). This is definitely safer than carrying
9MM semi-automatics around.

3. Physical education classes should train students in what to do if a
crazed gunman or terrorist bursts into classroom and starts shooting.
Students need to know how to issue a blood curdling yell and direct a
flying kick at the head of the perpetrator.

--dk...@cris.com

Timberwoof

Apr 17, 2007, 1:09:59 AM4/17/07
In article <kNXUh.6741$5e2....@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net>,
Klaus <khel...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

A more cynical reading has it that they didn't want to shoot one of
their own.

Bodega

Apr 17, 2007, 1:10:49 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 6:55 pm, dkomo <dkomo...@comcast.net> wrote:

> What amazes me about the high body count was that this guy could walk
> into crowded classrooms without challenge and take deliberate aim and
> fire. Not one person there apparently tried to rush him and knock him
> to the ground. That's probably all it would have taken to stop him.

Who wants to be the first to get a bullet in the brain at point-blank
range?

I've thought about such circumstances, and the only thing I've thought
of is to come up on the guy from behind and get a very quick choke-
hold of the forearm around the neck type (and yes, I have had some
training in such stuff).

But if I were derdag, of course, I'd just get out my concealed .54
caliber Sharps buffalo gun and blaze away.

(Remember: If buffalo guns are outlawed, only buffaloes will have
guns!)

Reminds me of a plumber I used to call on. He seemed like a decent
fellow, but he used to talk about carrying a gun around and brag about
how tough he was. Then he ran into someone else who carried a gun and
talked even tougher. Last I heard, the plumber had become a much
meeker fellow.

Baron Bodissey

Apr 17, 2007, 1:22:24 AM4/17/07

"It was something that has happened SIX OR MORE TIMES since
Columbine." [emphasis added]

No comment necessary.

Josh Hayes

Apr 17, 2007, 1:30:03 AM4/17/07
David Iain Greig <dgr...@ediacara.org> wrote in

> nmp <add...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> Op Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:31:31 -0700, schreef Craig T:
>>
>>> On Apr 16, 3:07 pm, Terry <Kilow...@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>> [..]

>>> I haven't seen any info about the gunman. Where did you find
>>> something?
>>
>> Mu guess is he didn't.
>
> Zen why did he say so?
>
> --D.

'cuz he's an asshole trying to stir up trouble.

As of 2200 hr EDT there has been exactly ZERO information about the
gunman released to the public, except that he was, in fact, male, and
that he apparently committed suicide at the end of the whole mess.

He'd have saved a lot of lives if he'd just started with himself.

Apparently, at least a couple of VaTech faculty are among the dead.

I can only imagine the heartache and horror felt by those more closely
connected with the school; as it is, I've about decided to lock my
children in their rooms until they reach retirement age, for safety's
sake.

I'll be holding all the victims in the light tonight.

-JAH

Klaus

Apr 17, 2007, 1:32:55 AM4/17/07

You may contrast it with the Lubys incident in Texas. A nut started
shooting customers at a Lubys. However, some of the patrons were armed
and returned fire. When the gunman realized that the victims were
shooting back, he hid, then later commited suicide. Apparently, many
whackjobs like to feel they are godlike, with power of life and death
over those around them. When people shoot back at them, it shatters the
illusion.Of course, I am not a shrink, so this is just how it seems to me.
Klaus

derdag

Apr 17, 2007, 2:53:09 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 11:40 pm, Timberwoof
<timberwoof.s...@inferNOnoSPAMsoft.com> wrote:
> In article <vtb82350j4n0em0tsqrq5tp2tr3p8t6...@4ax.com>,

> Free Lunch <l...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:01:16 GMT, in talk.origins
> > Klaus <khelln...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> > <MTVUh.162$H_...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>:
> Level 2 Linux technical support: Write The Fscking Code Yourself!- Hide quoted text -

I like your ideas....A LOT.
That is a fantastic set of ideas, with a possible exception about the
fleeing suspect. That shot should only be a leg shot. Or, maybe a
scrotal shot....

John Wilkins

Apr 17, 2007, 2:58:25 AM4/17/07
Bodega <michael...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 6:55 pm, dkomo <dkomo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > What amazes me about the high body count was that this guy could walk
> > into crowded classrooms without challenge and take deliberate aim and
> > fire. Not one person there apparently tried to rush him and knock him
> > to the ground. That's probably all it would have taken to stop him.
>
> Who wants to be the first to get a bullet in the brain at point-blank
> range?
>
> I've thought about such circumstances, and the only thing I've thought
> of is to come up on the guy from behind and get a very quick choke-
> hold of the forearm around the neck type (and yes, I have had some
> training in such stuff).

I concur, although if someone had a gun and was using it, I would use
the commando neckbreak from behind, not a choke hold. If not, I'd try to
kick or punch his gun arm and stun it long enough to disarm him - if I
really really really had to.

> But if I were derdag, of course, I'd just get out my concealed .54
> caliber Sharps buffalo gun and blaze away.
>
> (Remember: If buffalo guns are outlawed, only buffaloes will have
> guns!)
>
> Reminds me of a plumber I used to call on. He seemed like a decent
> fellow, but he used to talk about carrying a gun around and brag about
> how tough he was. Then he ran into someone else who carried a gun and
> talked even tougher. Last I heard, the plumber had become a much
> meeker fellow.

So, do without the guns, and let the talk suffice...
--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

Martin Kaletsch

Apr 17, 2007, 2:29:22 AM4/17/07
derdag wrote:

> If anyone knows where this terrorist does his Mosquing, and retaliates
> by vaporizing the entire pack of them while they are praying to their
> rug with their anus in the superior position, He should be given
> amnesty. That's all based upon if, of course, if he was a regular
> terrorist with a normal Mosqing practice.

I'm normally quite proud of keeping my end of a discussion rational and
rarely resort to insults, but in your case:

You are a dumb, disgusting asshole! You possess neither intelligence nor
anything resembling human feeling. Why don't you take your gun and fly to
Baghdad and start searching for terrorists there?

--
Martin Kaletsch

derdag

Apr 17, 2007, 3:05:23 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 11:44 pm, Timberwoof
<timberwoof.s...@inferNOnoSPAMsoft.com> wrote:
> In article <1176773792.452186.133...@w1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
> Level 2 Linux technical support: Write The Fscking Code Yourself!- Hide quoted text -

lol
You will say any thing to get people to argue with you. I've seen
trolls like you before. They will sit there and pretend to be a
homosexual or say anything that they believe will conflict people and
make them want to argue. You are a sad, sad troll just making
anything up that might cause another poster to get upset and lash
out. That is the reward that trolls like you seek. You wish to
control my attitude and affect it in some negative way. Its a sick
little game, for a sick little troll.

Ye Old One

Apr 17, 2007, 5:42:16 AM4/17/07
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:57:52 -0600, Desertphile
<deser...@nospam.org> enriched this group when s/he wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:15:17 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
>wrote:
>

>> On 16 Apr 2007 10:49:04 -0700, "chris.li...@gmail.com"

>> <chris.li...@gmail.com> enriched this group when s/he wrote:
>>
>> >If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
>> >my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.
>> >
>> >Chris
>
>> Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
>>
>> It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
>
>Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.

No. That is NOT the answer.

--
Bob.

Ye Old One

Apr 17, 2007, 5:46:32 AM4/17/07
On 16 Apr 2007 18:18:18 -0700, derdag <der...@chilledwatertech.com>
enriched this group when s/he wrote:

>On Apr 16, 8:57 pm, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:15:17 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
>> wrote:

>> > Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
>>
>> > It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
>>
>> Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.
>>

>> --http://desertphile.org
>> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water
>
>We are in complete agreement. Teachers should be required to keep
>their weapon consealed and current on their weapon training.
>
>How stupid is it that not one Prof was carrying a consealed weapon?
>
>Feminists and liberals can own their share of the blame in cases such
>as this. The Democrats can't hide from this. It will never change,
>until they begin to think logically.

It will never change as long as americans seem to think they have some
right to own and carry guns.

--
Bob.

Shane

Apr 17, 2007, 6:27:20 AM4/17/07

Oh come now YOO, surely you realise that if the U.S. wants to avoid the
gun related death-rates of countries like the U.K. Japan, Australia, New
Zealand, Canada, France Germany, Sweden, Denmark etc., then the answer
is more guns. Most Western countries have strict gun control and their
gun related death-rates are miles away from that of the U.S. Open your
eyes for goodness sake.

Ye Old One

Apr 17, 2007, 7:10:39 AM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:01:16 GMT, Klaus <khel...@sbcglobal.net>
enriched this group when s/he wrote:

>Ye Old One wrote:
>> On 16 Apr 2007 10:49:04 -0700, "chris.li...@gmail.com"
>> <chris.li...@gmail.com> enriched this group when s/he wrote:
>>

>>>If anyone reading talk.origins is connected to Virginia Tech, you have
>>>my deepest sympathies. What a terrible thing to happen.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>

>> Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
>>
>> It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
>>

>No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
>guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.

Total rubbish.

>Klaus

How many more people have to die?

The first steps should be to ban handguns except for licenced shooting
clubs.

Next all assult rifels and the like.

Remove guns from most police offices.

Then finally ban guns altogether.

--
Bob.

Ye Old One

Apr 17, 2007, 7:17:52 AM4/17/07
On 16 Apr 2007 19:39:11 -0700, derda...@chilledwatertech.com

You see, that is what a religious upbringing does for kids - no
respect for life at all.

--
Bob.

John Wilkins

Apr 17, 2007, 7:23:14 AM4/17/07
Shane <rema...@Netscape.net> wrote:

"Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36
richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico
12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland
6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria
3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia
2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait
1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97;
Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41;
Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea
0.12; Japan 0.05."

http://www.guncite.com/cnngunde.html

Klaus

Apr 17, 2007, 7:33:32 AM4/17/07

Yes, an armed law abiding citizen or two, on the scene, would have been
better than police who did not show up until half an hour after the
first shooting. You seem to be laboring under the fallacy that police
can instantly appear where they are needed, as soon as they are called.
Try actually reading about the detatails of the VA Tech shootings, and
exactly how the police, campus security, and administration responded.
Hint: They did not even warn the students after the first 2 shootings.
Klaus

Klaus

Apr 17, 2007, 7:53:46 AM4/17/07

Guns do not make someone tough, and this plumber sounds like he should
not be trusted with firearms, since he does not seem to understand the
seriousness of carrying a lethel weapon. People who are competent try to
avoid the use of force, because they know it is not a game. For example,
Navy Seals generally do not run around boasting about how dangerous they
are. They are the polite people who sit quietly in the corner in the
back of the bar. I am sure that other special forces types, at least the
ones with any experience, behave similarily.
The people who go around boasting and trying to intimidate others are
are usually green Marine Corps recruits who just got out of boot camp.
Klaus

Message has been deleted

Ye Old One

Apr 17, 2007, 7:59:47 AM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:27:20 +1000, Shane <rema...@Netscape.net>

enriched this group when s/he wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:42:16 GMT, Ye Old One wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:57:52 -0600, Desertphile
>> <deser...@nospam.org> enriched this group when s/he wrote:

>>>Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.
>>
>> No. That is NOT the answer.
>
>Oh come now YOO, surely you realise that if the U.S. wants to avoid the
>gun related death-rates of countries like the U.K. Japan, Australia, New
>Zealand, Canada, France Germany, Sweden, Denmark etc., then the answer
>is more guns. Most Western countries have strict gun control and their
>gun related death-rates are miles away from that of the U.S. Open your
>eyes for goodness sake.

Eye open wide :)

--
Bob.

slothrop

Apr 17, 2007, 8:04:04 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 4:19 pm, "louan...@yahoo.com" <louan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 3:07 pm, Terry <Kilow...@charter.net> wrote:
>

> > On 16 Apr 2007 12:27:05 -0700, e...@swva.net wrote:

> > >Clayton works there, I believe. I hope he and his are okay. I live
> > >about a half hour south of there and hope I don't know any of the
> > >unfortunate victims. How ghastly.
>
> > >Eric Root

> > The gunman was here illegally. Homeland security is a joke.
>
> (one check of CNN, AP, and Reuters later)
>
> Here, in a separate field, is an example of what we dislike about
> creationists. You see, as of this writing no information has been
> released not only about the nationality or (if any) immigration
> status. Or even NAME.*
>
> So unless you have a knowledgeable source for your "the gunman was
> here illegally" statement, you're deriving that statement from a
> process called "making things up." Another term for "making things up"
> is "lying."
>
> The professional ethical position taught in science, and I think
> you'll find it also somewhere in the Bible, is that LYING IS WRONG. We
> would like you to stop it, please.
>
> LQM
>
> *The smart money would be on "socially inept white male student of the
> same university," probably shortly after some sort of disappointment
> like being fired or dumped by his girlfriend. But I have no data; it
> could be an Inuit woman who picked the location with a map and a
> dartboard, for all I can prove to the contrary. Or that you can prove.- Hide quoted text -

the smarter money is on a socially inept asian male, as it turns out
the man was an asian living on campus. That's all they've released so
far...

slothrop

John Wilkins

Apr 17, 2007, 8:23:31 AM4/17/07
Féachadóir <FÈach@d.Ûir> wrote:

> Scríobh j.wil...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins):

> >"Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36
> >richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico

> >12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; etc
>
> Any particular reason why this source chose 1994? Its the year the
> ceasefires began, the numbers have fallen dramatically since then.

There was a major study called the World Development Report in that
year, and it noted a massive decline to that date.

According to Wikipedia, the US is exceeded in homicide rates only by
Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, Thailand, Guatemala, Colombia, Estonia,
and Russia. Here's data from 2001:

http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/international.html

and scroll down to the table. The US is still the highest of the
developed nations, by a factor of about 3.

er...@swva.net

Apr 17, 2007, 8:54:00 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 10:39 pm, derdagi...@chilledwatertech.com wrote:
> On Apr 16, 10:26 pm, Free Lunch <l...@nofreelunch.us> wrote:

(snip)

> Any one of these guys would have put a bullet in your lib down there,
> and he wouldn't have killed as many.
>
> That is the answer.

What does "put a bullet in your lib" mean?

Eric Root

Lee Jay

Apr 17, 2007, 9:07:27 AM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 7:34 pm, derdag <der...@chilledwatertech.com> wrote:
> You attributed biggotism to me.

No, you did. You specifically said you'd treat one group differently
from another because of a characteristic of that group. That's
bigotry and you are a bigot by your own words.

> I can play by those rules too. Now,
> we're playing the same game. How long has it been since you came out
> of the closet? Did your mother and father have any problems with the
> homosexuality?

I'm married and have a three year old son with my wife, you freaking
idiot. I am biased against stupid people like you - I think they
should kill themselves for the betterment of society. Unfortunately,
stupid people also tend to lack the necessary morals to do the right
thing and so they go on reproducing. In fact, they tend to produce
more stupid children then smart people produce smart children because
their cults tell them that that is a good thing.

Lee Jay

Richard Clayton

Apr 17, 2007, 9:20:18 AM4/17/07

... and THAT will never change as long as we have a Constitutional
right to keep and bear arms. You're talking about repealing the Second
Amendment, which is fine if that's really your intent... but you
shouldn't make it sound like it's simply a matter of correcting an
erroneous public opinion.

John Drayton

Apr 17, 2007, 9:25:28 AM4/17/07
On Apr 17, 2:10 pm, Klaus <khelln...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Cemtech wrote:
> > In article <MTVUh.162$H_...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>,
> > khelln...@sbcglobal.net says...

> >>No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
> >>guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
>
> > But if people come to class with guns, how do you identify the nutjobs?
>
> I am talking about employees, not students. I agree that allowing
> students to bear guns would pose some serious problems.

What problems? Why arbitrarily rule out
students carrying guns?

You seem to be very keen on as many
law-abiding citizens as possible bearing
arms.

How come students are an exception?

And as to advocating as many "law abiding
citizens with guns in the area" as possible ..

Guess what -- there WAS a law-abiding
citizen who had a gun.

Unfortunately when he decided to stop being
law abiding, he had a gun!

In other words, if you arm as many people
as possible, you may reducece the number
of deaths that occur in situations such as
robberies. You will, unfortunately increase
the number of deaths that happen due to
people losing the plot, or having some
kind of breakdown.

If this guy had a knife when he went on a
rampage, you'd be hearing about a death
toll of one - or maybe none.

> FYI, I was in San Ysidro when the McDonalds massacre went down. The
> damned cops just let the gunman, who was a government employee, using at
> least one pistol that belonged to the National Guard, kill one customer
> after another. There were 2 snipers, with clear shots, just watching
> through their scopes. They were told not to kill the SOB because the
> police were concerned about liability if one of the live customers got
> injured by a shard of glass. So, it was safer to let the gunman kill all
> he wanted.

> Klaus- Hide quoted text -

John Drayton

dkomo

Apr 17, 2007, 9:44:34 AM4/17/07
John Wilkins wrote:

> Féachadóir <FÈach@d.Ûir> wrote:
>

>>Scríobh j.wil...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins):
>>
>>>"Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36
>>>richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico
>>>12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; etc
>>
>>Any particular reason why this source chose 1994? Its the year the
>>ceasefires began, the numbers have fallen dramatically since then.
>

> There was a major study called the World Development Report in that
> year, and it noted a massive decline to that date.
>
> According to Wikipedia, the US is exceeded in homicide rates only by
> Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, Thailand, Guatemala, Colombia, Estonia,
> and Russia. Here's data from 2001:
>
> http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/international.html
>
> and scroll down to the table. The US is still the highest of the
> developed nations, by a factor of about 3.

And my prediction of the drop in homicide rates in the US if it imposed
such a bureaucratic, intrusive, hugely expensive to administer, and
proabably unconstitutional gun ban on its 300+ million population: zero.

To see why, think about who actually commits crimes of violence using
guns and what are the chances these people would be denied access to
guns through a new federal law. What in fact would happen is that a
enormous and highly profitable black market in gun trafficking would
develop and take its place alongside the black market in drugs. And so
the US would now be engaged in a war on guns in addition to the war on
drugs.

Also, before wringing one's hands and getting all emotional about the
death rate from guns, do a sober comparison with death rates from drug
overdoses (from both illegal drugs as well those accidentally caused by
the medical establishment), car accidents, cancer and heart disease. It
helps to put things into perspective.

--dk...@cris.com

John Wilkins

Apr 17, 2007, 10:09:54 AM4/17/07
dkomo <dkom...@comcast.net> wrote:

So basically, the US is unlike any comparable nation that actually has
gun control, including your nearest neighbour which is largely identical
in all other cultural respects? Hmm. I wonder why it is that the 2nd
Amendment makes you so much more like Russia or South Africa than Canada
or Australia or the UK?

dkomo

Apr 17, 2007, 10:31:52 AM4/17/07
John Wilkins wrote:

The main difference is that the US has an entrenched criminal subculture
which has developed over many decades. This includes organized crime
and criminal gangs in urban areas. A gun ban would have little effect
on this subculture other than giving it another "profit center" for
illegal activity. This criminal network would allow even ordinary
citizens to buy illegal guns as easily as they can now buy illegal drugs.

Canada, Europe and Australia never had such an extensive criminal
subculture to deal with, so gun control was easy to implement.

--dk...@cris.com

Andrew F. Heil

Apr 17, 2007, 10:34:43 AM4/17/07
On Apr 17, 12:32 am, Klaus <khelln...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Timberwoof wrote:
> > In article <kNXUh.6741$5e2.3...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net>,

> > Klaus <khelln...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

In the 1991 Luby's incident, there was no return fire by patrons of
the cafeteria. The perpetrator in that incident killed himself after
being wounded by police.

chris.li...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2007, 10:37:37 AM4/17/07
On Apr 17, 10:09 am, j.wilki...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:

> dkomo <dkomo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > John Wilkins wrote:

> > > There was a major study called the World Development Report in that
> > > year, and it noted a massive decline to that date.
>
> > > According to Wikipedia, the US is exceeded in homicide rates only by
> > > Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, Thailand, Guatemala, Colombia, Estonia,
> > > and Russia. Here's data from 2001:
>
> > >http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/international.html
>
> > > and scroll down to the table. The US is still the highest of the
> > > developed nations, by a factor of about 3.
>
> > And my prediction of the drop in homicide rates in the US if it imposed
> > such a bureaucratic, intrusive, hugely expensive to administer, and
> > proabably unconstitutional gun ban on its 300+ million population: zero.
>
> > To see why, think about who actually commits crimes of violence using
> > guns and what are the chances these people would be denied access to
> > guns through a new federal law. What in fact would happen is that a
> > enormous and highly profitable black market in gun trafficking would
> > develop and take its place alongside the black market in drugs. And so
> > the US would now be engaged in a war on guns in addition to the war on
> > drugs.

Which would be different from today's situation, how exactly? Do you
think the gang members and drug dealers walk into Wal-Mart and buy a
Glock 21? No of course not- there's already a thriving black market in
guns in this country. Guiliani actually fought against it when he was
mayor, but has now repudiated his actions in his whoring to the wing
nuts for the nomination. Bloomberg got death threats from- guess
where- Viginia- when he spoke out about the Iron Pipeline.Handguns are
purchased by the score, quasi-legally, in places like Virginia, and
trucked North to places like Newark and New York City, where they kill
kids and police officers. It's that "quasi-legal" trade that has to be
halted. Small sporting goods stores stand to lose a ton of money from
it, and governments stand to lose a ton of revenue, so states with
loose restrictions on gun sales fight it tooth and nail.

> > Also, before wringing one's hands and getting all emotional about the
> > death rate from guns, do a sober comparison with death rates from drug
> > overdoses (from both illegal drugs as well those accidentally caused by
> > the medical establishment), car accidents, cancer and heart disease. It
> > helps to put things into perspective.

Horseshit. So what if a lot of people get killed by cars? We know
that. Does that mean we shouldn't do something about people getting
killed by guns? That's just stupid, if you ask me. Gun deaths are
almost 100% preventable. That means we should be trying to prevent
them, just as we try to prevent deaths from smoking and drunk driving.

> So basically, the US is unlike any comparable nation that actually has
> gun control, including your nearest neighbour which is largely identical
> in all other cultural respects? Hmm. I wonder why it is that the 2nd
> Amendment makes you so much more like Russia or South Africa than Canada
> or Australia or the UK?

The wingnuts are all frothing at the mouth about their Second
Amendment rights being endangered. But Virginia is one of the places
in the US where it is easiest to get and carry a handgun. It does not
seem to have helped.

Chris

Quantum Leaper

Apr 17, 2007, 10:54:23 AM4/17/07

"Klaus" <khel...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Cemtech wrote:
> > In article <MTVUh.162$H_...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net>,
> > khel...@sbcglobal.net says...

> >>No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
> >>guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
> >

> > But if people come to class with guns, how do you identify the nutjobs?
> >
> I am talking about employees, not students. I agree that allowing
> students to bear guns would pose some serious problems.
> FYI, I was in San Ysidro when the McDonalds massacre went down. The
> damned cops just let the gunman, who was a government employee, using at
> least one pistol that belonged to the National Guard, kill one customer
> after another. There were 2 snipers, with clear shots, just watching
> through their scopes. They were told not to kill the SOB because the
> police were concerned about liability if one of the live customers got
> injured by a shard of glass. So, it was safer to let the gunman kill all
> he wanted.
> Klaus

You know it would be easy to find a Lawyer to sue over not shooting the
gunman, so I would bet that the families of the people who were shot, sued
the Police department.

John Wilkins

Apr 17, 2007, 11:00:27 AM4/17/07
dkomo <dkom...@comcast.net> wrote:

You invented that subclass with Prohibition, first of alcohol and then
of drugs, and the massive police machinery to deal with it. Australia,
in case you didn't know, was founded by a criminal subclass, and a
substantial part of the Australian population is descended from that
class, and often suffers the penalties of being at the bottom of the
heap. Yet we *still* have nothing like your gun culture.

I think that the *sole* major difference is the second amendment (and
the 18th). If the American people can recognise this, they may be able
to modify or rescind that amendment.

Ernest Major

Apr 17, 2007, 11:16:29 AM4/17/07
In message <1hwqqd8.ebu2vg1tyg4rdN%j.wil...@uq.edu.au>, John Wilkins
<j.wil...@uq.edu.au> writes

If you read up on British history, you discover groups like the Border
Reivers in the Anglo-Scottish Marches, or the inhabitants of the
"rookeries" of London. Supposedly before London had a police force it
was unsafe to travel its streets by night, while in Hawick and Hexham
you weren't even safe in your own bed.

>I think that the *sole* major difference is the second amendment (and
>the 18th). If the American people can recognise this, they may be able
>to modify or rescind that amendment.

--

Alias Ernest Major

Message has been deleted

eerok

Apr 17, 2007, 11:46:25 AM4/17/07
John Wilkins wrote:

[...]

> So basically, the US is unlike any comparable nation that actually has
> gun control, including your nearest neighbour which is largely identical
> in all other cultural respects? Hmm. I wonder why it is that the 2nd
> Amendment makes you so much more like Russia or South Africa than Canada
> or Australia or the UK?

There are significant cultural differences between Canada and
the US. The sensationalist style of American media would
never find a comfortable home in Canada, nor would the degree
of fierce patriotism and extreme individualism which all too
often leads to very paranoid people holed up with extensive
weapon collections -- I think it's the mindset of glorified
alienation, the celebration of insularity, where the slogan
"my country, right or wrong" bleeds into "my perceptions,
right or wrong," which provides a hint about the important
differences you're missing here.

The US (by typical Canadian perception) is a land of extremes,
but since I'm not interested in writing an essay, I'll leave
it at that. If you're interested in more points of cultural
differences, you needn't look far; a good place to start would
be the American roots in Puritanism.

Of course, I could dare to mention American creationism here,
but I think it suffices to point out that when cultures have
such dramatically different products and effects, it's
certainly not safe to assume that they're identical.

--
"The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
- George Bernard Shaw

Desertphile

Apr 17, 2007, 11:51:57 AM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:58:25 +1000, j.wil...@uq.edu.au (John
Wilkins) wrote:

> Bodega <michael...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 16, 6:55 pm, dkomo <dkomo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > What amazes me about the high body count was that this guy could walk
> > > into crowded classrooms without challenge and take deliberate aim and
> > > fire. Not one person there apparently tried to rush him and knock him
> > > to the ground. That's probably all it would have taken to stop him.
> >
> > Who wants to be the first to get a bullet in the brain at point-blank
> > range?
> >
> > I've thought about such circumstances, and the only thing I've thought
> > of is to come up on the guy from behind and get a very quick choke-
> > hold of the forearm around the neck type (and yes, I have had some
> > training in such stuff).

> I concur, although if someone had a gun and was using it, I would use
> the commando neckbreak from behind, not a choke hold. If not, I'd try to
> kick or punch his gun arm and stun it long enough to disarm him - if I
> really really really had to.

When I went to school (heh!) there were all kinds of weapons at
hand in damn near every classroom: chairs, tables, teaching aids,
ball-point pens.

But one cannot blame students for not attacking the gun-toting
killer. The first time I was shot at I ran also.

> > But if I were derdag, of course, I'd just get out my concealed .54
> > caliber Sharps buffalo gun and blaze away.
> >
> > (Remember: If buffalo guns are outlawed, only buffaloes will have
> > guns!)
> >
> > Reminds me of a plumber I used to call on. He seemed like a decent
> > fellow, but he used to talk about carrying a gun around and brag about
> > how tough he was. Then he ran into someone else who carried a gun and
> > talked even tougher. Last I heard, the plumber had become a much
> > meeker fellow.
>

> So, do without the guns, and let the talk suffice...

--

http://desertphile.org

"Buffy has super strength; why don't we just load her up
like one of those little horses?" -- Anya

Desertphile

Apr 17, 2007, 11:48:39 AM4/17/07
On 16 Apr 2007 22:10:49 -0700, Bodega
<michael...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 6:55 pm, dkomo <dkomo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > What amazes me about the high body count was that this guy could walk
> > into crowded classrooms without challenge and take deliberate aim and
> > fire. Not one person there apparently tried to rush him and knock him
> > to the ground. That's probably all it would have taken to stop him.
>
> Who wants to be the first to get a bullet in the brain at point-blank
> range?
>
> I've thought about such circumstances, and the only thing I've thought
> of is to come up on the guy from behind and get a very quick choke-
> hold of the forearm around the neck type (and yes, I have had some
> training in such stuff).
>

> But if I were derdag, of course, I'd just get out my concealed .54
> caliber Sharps buffalo gun and blaze away.
>
> (Remember: If buffalo guns are outlawed, only buffaloes will have
> guns!)
>
> Reminds me of a plumber I used to call on. He seemed like a decent
> fellow, but he used to talk about carrying a gun around and brag about
> how tough he was. Then he ran into someone else who carried a gun and
> talked even tougher. Last I heard, the plumber had become a much
> meeker fellow.

The gun fighter Bill Holliman once had dinner with a bunch of
strangers, one of whom was a young man who fancied himself a bad
man with a gun: the young man wore his gun at the table, and
during the meal he used his pistol like a spoon to scoop butter
out of the butter dish. The act pissed off Holliman, so he said
"I'm going to go get my gun: you go meet me outside." The young
man put his gun away, face stark white, and finished his meal meek
and polite.

Desertphile

Apr 17, 2007, 11:54:02 AM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:30:03 -0000, Josh Hayes
<jos...@spamblarg.net> wrote:

> David Iain Greig <dgr...@ediacara.org> wrote in
>
> > nmp <add...@is.invalid> wrote:

> >> [..]

> >> Mu guess is he didn't.
> >
> > Zen why did he say so?
> >
> > --D.
> >

> 'cuz he's an asshole trying to stir up trouble.

Apparently he has a history of such behavior.

> As of 2200 hr EDT there has been exactly ZERO information about the
> gunman released to the public, except that he was, in fact, male, and
> that he apparently committed suicide at the end of the whole mess.

He is also said to "appear Asian."

> He'd have saved a lot of lives if he'd just started with himself.
>
> Apparently, at least a couple of VaTech faculty are among the dead.
>
> I can only imagine the heartache and horror felt by those more closely
> connected with the school; as it is, I've about decided to lock my
> children in their rooms until they reach retirement age, for safety's
> sake.
>
> I'll be holding all the victims in the light tonight.
>
> -JAH

Walter Bushell

Apr 17, 2007, 11:54:30 AM4/17/07
In article <1hwqqd8.ebu2vg1tyg4rdN%j.wil...@uq.edu.au>,
j.wil...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:

You realize the Australians were recruited from displaced agricultural
workers, that is they had had the commons stolen from them. The English
class system was really nasty.

Walter Bushell

Apr 17, 2007, 11:58:06 AM4/17/07
In article <1176820656.9...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
"chris.li...@gmail.com" <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

Guns are heavy and a hassle to slep.

Desertphile

Apr 17, 2007, 12:00:47 PM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:10:39 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:01:16 GMT, Klaus <khel...@sbcglobal.net>

> enriched this group when s/he wrote:
>
> >Ye Old One wrote:

> >> Indeed. Watching it on Sky News as I type.
> >>
> >> It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
> >>

> >No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
> >guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
>

> Total rubbish.
>
> >Klaus
>
> How many more people have to die?

Many, many more. This is the horrible brutal ugly price Americans
are willing for others to pay for their freedom.

> The first steps should be to ban handguns except for licenced shooting
> clubs.
> Next all assult rifels and the like.
> Remove guns from most police offices.
> Then finally ban guns altogether.

Well that's just plain stupid. Countries with unarmed citizens
tend to get invaded.

Bob T.

Apr 17, 2007, 12:18:10 PM4/17/07
On Apr 17, 9:00 am, Desertphile <desertph...@nospam.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:10:39 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:01:16 GMT, Klaus <khelln...@sbcglobal.net>

> > enriched this group when s/he wrote:

> > >No, we need a halt to criminals. If there were law abiding citizens with
> > >guns in the area, he would have killed far fewer people.
>
> > Total rubbish.
>
> > >Klaus
>
> > How many more people have to die?
>
> Many, many more. This is the horrible brutal ugly price Americans
> are willing for others to pay for their freedom.
>
> > The first steps should be to ban handguns except for licenced shooting
> > clubs.
> > Next all assult rifels and the like.
> > Remove guns from most police offices.
> > Then finally ban guns altogether.
>
> Well that's just plain stupid. Countries with unarmed citizens
> tend to get invaded.

Really? Got anything to back that up? The most recent country to get
invaded, Iraq, has one of the highest rates of private gun ownership
in the world.

I don't know how many Poles owned guns in 1939, but somehow I doubt it
was much of a factor in the Nazi decision to invade.

- Bob T.

> --http://desertphile.org

> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water
> "Buffy has super strength; why don't we just load her up

> like one of those little horses?" -- Anya- Hide quoted text -

edwar...@verizon.net

Apr 17, 2007, 12:42:48 PM4/17/07
On Apr 16, 6:36 pm, "derdag" <der...@chilledwatertech.com> wrote:

> If anyone knows where this terrorist does his Mosquing, and retaliates
> by vaporizing the entire pack of them while they are praying to their
> rug with their anus in the superior position, He should be given
> amnesty. That's all based upon if, of course, if he was a regular
> terrorist with a normal Mosqing practice.

A true loving christian.

Desertphile

Apr 17, 2007, 12:55:58 PM4/17/07
On 17 Apr 2007 15:45:24 GMT, nmp <add...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Op Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:57:52 -0600, schreef Desertphile:

> > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:15:17 GMT, Ye Old One <use...@mcsuk.net> wrote:
>

> >> It really is time to call a halt to guns in the USA.
> >

> > Better yet, provide guns and training to teachers.

> I wouldn't want to be the student of an armed teacher. You would never
> know what is going to happen.

I agree.

I wouldn't want to be the teacher of armed students, for the same
reason.

John McKendry

Apr 17, 2007, 1:03:35 PM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:54:02 -0600, Desertphile wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:30:03 -0000, Josh Hayes <jos...@spamblarg.net>
> wrote:
>
>> David Iain Greig <dgr...@ediacara.org> wrote in

>> > Zen why did he say so?
>> >
>> > --D.
>> >

>> 'cuz he's an asshole trying to stir up trouble.
>
> Apparently he has a history of such behavior.

<snip>

Nonono. It's a *pun*, guys. See? "Mu guess...", "Zen why..."?
Mu, Zen? Joshu? Joshu's Mu? Zen koan?

OK, never mind.

John

Message has been deleted