Bacteria develops resistance against silver.

Rolf

Apr 18, 2007, 3:28:43 AM4/18/07
From Sweden is being reported a case of a patient with silver-treated
bandages against infection, where the bacteria seem to have developed
resistance against silver.

It has been thought that this would not be possible. If the same bacterium
also should be antibiotics-resistant, it would be a serious problem.

Further research is being performed.

Message has been deleted

JohnN

Apr 18, 2007, 10:24:09 AM4/18/07

Headline: "Werebacterium Attacks Sweden!!"

JohnN

Wakboth

Apr 18, 2007, 10:48:09 AM4/18/07
On 18 huhti, 10:28, "Rolf" <r...@tele2.no> wrote:
> From Sweden is being reported a case of a patient with silver-treated
> bandages against infection, where the bacteria seem to have developed
> resistance against silver.

Now if we see a lateral gene transmission from these bacteria into
werewolves, we're in big trouble...

-- Wakboth

Wakboth

Apr 18, 2007, 10:51:56 AM4/18/07
On 18 huhti, 15:21, nmp <addr...@is.invalid> wrote:
> Op Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:28:43 +0200, schreef Rolf:

> > From Sweden is being reported a case of a patient with silver-treated
> > bandages against infection, where the bacteria seem to have developed
> > resistance against silver.
>
> URL, please.

> > It has been thought that this would not be possible. If the same
> > bacterium also should be antibiotics-resistant, it would be a serious
> > problem.
>
> > Further research is being performed.
>
> Are we talking, by any chance, about the bogus (and potentially
> dangerous) therapy with "colloidal silver" here?
>
> <http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/silverad.html>

Not necessarily; silver (in various forms, including silver nitrate)
has been used in bandages for its antibacterial effects. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver#In_medicine

-- Wakboth

Von R. Smith

Apr 18, 2007, 12:11:06 PM4/18/07

My understanding is that the development of silver resistance is rare
but not completely unprecedented. It is known in certain soil
bacteria, though not in any typically associated with disease or
sepsis. I think there is a documented case of silver resistence
appearing in clinics back in England in the 60s or something. In
vitro evolution of resistance to other heavy metals like arsenic and
lead have been observed, but I don't think there are any cases for
silver. I know this only because I ran into one of those silver
colloid quacks who claimed that bacteria *couldn't* evolve silver
resistance. I don't have the references any more, though, and I don't
care enough to go looking for them right at the moment.

Rolf

Apr 18, 2007, 12:37:53 PM4/18/07

"nmp" <add...@is.invalid> skrev i melding

> Op Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:28:43 +0200, schreef Rolf:
>
> > From Sweden is being reported a case of a patient with silver-treated
> > bandages against infection, where the bacteria seem to have developed
> > resistance against silver.
>
> URL, please.

Link to Swedish Radio's first programme (sr.se/p1) - Science news item:

http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/p1/program/artikel.asp?ProgramID=406&Nyheter=1&art
ikel=1317189

Translation of the Swedish text:

Silver is being used in many products for its antibacterial properties, but
now the bacteria are shooting back, having become resistant against heavy
metals - an unexpected development that may have impact on infections in
hard to heal wounds.

Researchers have, for the first time in Sweden, on a patient found a
bacterium that has become resistant against silver, and this may give us
still more dangerous, multi-resistant bacteria, warns head doctor Åsa Melhus
at the Akademiska sjukhuset (Academic Hospital) in Uppsala. She fears that
the resistance against silver also may lead to the bacterium becoming
antibiotics-resistant, and then health care will be in trouble.

- If we have a bacterium resistant against both antibiotics, heavy
metals and disinfectants, we have a problem, she says.

Åsa Meluhs discovered the silver resistant bacterium on a patient just
before Easter. It was an unexpected find, since bacteria hardly can become
silver resistant except in a laboratory, since it requires a mutation in
more than two of the bacterium's genes at the same time.

Even Greger Karslon, chairman of the Swedish Medtech (commercial) -
organisation expressed surprise at the finding:

- We had estimated that no detectable resistance had been shown.
But if it has happened, we want to partake of the study.

> > It has been thought that this would not be possible. If the same
> > bacterium also should be antibiotics-resistant, it would be a serious
> > problem.
> >
> > Further research is being performed.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

snex

Apr 18, 2007, 5:23:10 PM4/18/07

more death and despair caused by evolution. if only they stopped
believing in it, these problems would go away.

Greg G.

Apr 18, 2007, 5:35:49 PM4/18/07

Anti-bacterial resistance is the result of Original Sin.

Er... wait, there was no death before the Original Sin, so anti-
bacterial agents were only possible after the Original Sin, therefore
anti-bacterial resistance is evidence that the curse of Original Sin
is wearing off!

--
Greg G.

My bread recipe is classified. It's on a knead-the-dough basis.

Scooter the Mighty

Apr 18, 2007, 5:53:20 PM4/18/07
Actually it would be the non-werebacterium that are the problem.

Dan Luke

Apr 18, 2007, 6:47:51 PM4/18/07

"Wakboth" wrote:

>> From Sweden is being reported a case of a patient with silver-treated
>> bandages against infection, where the bacteria seem to have developed
>> resistance against silver.
>
> Now if we see a lateral gene transmission from these bacteria into
> werewolves, we're in big trouble...

Haw!

Good one.

--
Dan

"How can an idiot be a policeman? Answer me that!"
- Chief Inspector Dreyfus

John Wilkins

Apr 19, 2007, 12:07:29 AM4/19/07

Vampibacteria? Yeah, I can see that. Putting nanostakes in their
nucleiods would be a real pili.
--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

Denis Loubet

Apr 19, 2007, 12:36:24 AM4/19/07

"Rolf" <ro...@tele2.no> wrote in message

Blowtorches! Blowtorches, dammit! That'll teach those stinkin' bacteria!

--
Denis Loubet
dlo...@io.com

Bob Casanova

Apr 19, 2007, 1:34:53 AM4/19/07
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:37:53 +0200, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by "Rolf" <ro...@tele2.no>:

Thanks. Interesting, if a bit frightening. No surprise that
this was discovered in a hospital; that's about the best
place to pick up new "superbugs".

<snip>
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

John Wilkins

Apr 19, 2007, 1:57:14 AM4/19/07
Denis Loubet <dlo...@io.com> wrote:

> "Rolf" <ro...@tele2.no> wrote in message
> > From Sweden is being reported a case of a patient with silver-treated
> > bandages against infection, where the bacteria seem to have developed
> > resistance against silver.
> >
> > It has been thought that this would not be possible. If the same bacterium
> > also should be antibiotics-resistant, it would be a serious problem.
> >
> > Further research is being performed.
>
> Blowtorches! Blowtorches, dammit! That'll teach those stinkin' bacteria!

Remind me not to let you nurse me next time I'm in hospital.

Al

Apr 19, 2007, 2:59:07 AM4/19/07
On Apr 19, 2:36 pm, "Denis Loubet" <dlou...@io.com> wrote:

> Blowtorches! Blowtorches, dammit! That'll teach those stinkin' bacteria!
>
> --
> Denis Loubet
> dlou...@io.comhttp://www.io.com/~dloubethttp://www.ashenempires.com

Now that you mention heat, that'd be the classic lab evolution of
bacteria. I'm sure we could evolve a good golden staf to be rsistant
up to 60-70C in no time if we could just find some hosts that will
survive that long.

Walter Bushell

Apr 19, 2007, 11:21:17 AM4/19/07
In article <1hwtqym.19xuwnoyuz5euN%j.wil...@uq.edu.au>,
j.wil...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:

> Denis Loubet <dlo...@io.com> wrote:
>
> > "Rolf" <ro...@tele2.no> wrote in message
> > > From Sweden is being reported a case of a patient with silver-treated
> > > bandages against infection, where the bacteria seem to have developed
> > > resistance against silver.
> > >
> > > It has been thought that this would not be possible. If the same bacterium
> > > also should be antibiotics-resistant, it would be a serious problem.
> > >
> > > Further research is being performed.
> >
> > Blowtorches! Blowtorches, dammit! That'll teach those stinkin' bacteria!
>
> Remind me not to let you nurse me next time I'm in hospital.

"What was that screaming about yesterday?"

"I told the new nurse who tends to get things backwards, to go to room
101 and prick his boil."

Bob Casanova

Apr 19, 2007, 10:32:11 PM4/19/07
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:21:17 -0400, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Walter Bushell <pr...@oanix.com>:

Reminds me of the "classic" cure for crabs - shave half,
then set the other half on fire and stab them with an
icepick when they run out in the open.

Denis Loubet

Apr 21, 2007, 3:42:07 AM4/21/07

"Al" <alw...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Ok, dammit! Guns! Lots of guns! Let's see them develope immunity to a hail
of bullets!

Ha!

Von R. Smith

Apr 21, 2007, 10:37:49 AM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 1:42 am, "Denis Loubet" <dlou...@io.com> wrote:
> "Al" <alwh...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> > On Apr 19, 2:36 pm, "Denis Loubet" <dlou...@io.com> wrote:
>
> >> Blowtorches! Blowtorches, dammit! That'll teach those stinkin' bacteria!
>
> >> --
> >> Denis Loubet
> >> dlou...@io.comhttp://www.io.com/~dloubethttp://www.ashenempires.com
>
> > Now that you mention heat, that'd be the classic lab evolution of
> > bacteria. I'm sure we could evolve a good golden staf to be rsistant
> > up to 60-70C in no time if we could just find some hosts that will
> > survive that long.
>
> Ok, dammit! Guns! Lots of guns! Let's see them develope immunity to a hail
> of bullets!
>
> Ha!

I wonder if they could evolve a resistance to +2 weapons or better.
The experiments might cost a lot of gold pieces, though, and I don't
think bacteria are worth a lot of x.p.