The Future Evolution Of the Human Race

Ian Chua

Apr 19, 2007, 7:04:14 PM4/19/07
If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

Mark VandeWettering

Apr 19, 2007, 7:12:53 PM4/19/07
On 2007-04-19, Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu> wrote:

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

I want a cannon in my chest, and X-Ray vision.

Dan Luke

Apr 19, 2007, 7:14:50 PM4/19/07

"Ian Chua" wrote:

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

How about selective calorie absorption?

Is there a suggestion box somewhere?

--
Dan

"How can an idiot be a policeman? Answer me that!"
- Chief Inspector Dreyfus

dkomo

Apr 19, 2007, 7:29:24 PM4/19/07
Ian Chua wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

I'd like the day vision of an eagle, the night vision of a cat, the
sense of smell of a dog, the hearing frequency range of a dolphin, the
hearing acuteness and directionality of an owl, the sprint capability of
a cheetah, the strength of an ox, the running endurance of a wolf,
double the intelligence of today's smartest humans, the ability to see
into the near infrared and far ultraviolet.

For starters...

--dk...@cris.com

Friar Broccoli

Apr 19, 2007, 7:51:30 PM4/19/07

Desirable? No doubt opinions will vary, a lot.

Frankly, I don't expect many genetic changes to be made apart
from removal of obvious defects. I am not sure, but I suspect
that many changes would make breeding with the rest of the
population more difficult or less likely.

Whatever the case, machine evolution will be a lot faster, and
pose far fewer ethical problems. I expect that as well as
machine organs, we will soon have brain implants, to improve
memory, perception, and logic.

Within a few hundred years there will, for many people, be
serious doubt about where the person ends and the machine
begins. With network hookups, there will probably be a lot of
doubt where one person begins and the other ends.

Cordially;

Friar Broccoli
Robert Keith Elias, Quebec, Canada Email: EliasRK (of) gmail * com
Best programmer's & all purpose text editor: http://www.semware.com

--------- I consider ALL arguments in support of my views ---------

Cemtech

Apr 19, 2007, 8:10:01 PM4/19/07
In article <1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
ic...@purdue.edu says...

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

I want the cabling for the photo receptors in my eyes put on the back
and not out front. It ruins resolution and makes a blind spot for the
cabling to find a place to run through.

--
Creationist Math:
Solve x^2 + 2x - 15 = 0

Bluto

Apr 19, 2007, 8:13:31 PM4/19/07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_Bottle

--

"A great many people think they are thinking when
they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

Roy Culley

Apr 19, 2007, 8:12:21 PM4/19/07

Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu> writes:

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

In the long term an eye in the back of the head and an eye at the end
of a finger. In the short term the eradication of the dog^H^H^Hgod
gene.

Perplexed in Peoria

Apr 19, 2007, 8:34:48 PM4/19/07

"Ian Chua" <ic...@purdue.edu> wrote in message news:1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

Personally, I hope they come up with a way of propagating the species
without the requirement for sexual intercourse. The contact is unsanitary,
the exertion is excessive, and the posture is ridiculous.

Rich Townsend

Apr 19, 2007, 8:37:15 PM4/19/07

Then, and only then, can you take on the Haarlem Globetrotters.

Rich Townsend

Apr 19, 2007, 8:39:07 PM4/19/07
Ian Chua wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

I would fix the broken genes relating to ascorbic acid production.

However, this would no doubt enrage Pastafarians, who could no longer don their
official pirate regalia and shout "Aaargh, me scurvy shipmates!".

Lexington Victoria-Rice

Apr 19, 2007, 9:35:35 PM4/19/07
Ian Chua wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

I think we should get shark's teeth, not so much that they would be
sharper and wreak havoc on elementary school playgrounds, but because I
just had the last teeth in my mouth pulled by a dentist and I would
rather have new teeth move forward than wear these dentures.

I need some solid food!

--
"Fundamentalists can kiss my left behind."

Some bumper sticker or t-shirt.

John Wilkins

Apr 19, 2007, 9:38:38 PM4/19/07
Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu> wrote:

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

Definitely a penis in each index finger. I want to be shaking as many
hands as I can do...
--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

Richard Clayton

Apr 19, 2007, 9:59:16 PM4/19/07
Ian Chua wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

Marsupial pouches. Our huge heads and upright posture combine to make
childbirth fairly difficult.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Richard Clayton

AC

Apr 19, 2007, 11:49:13 PM4/19/07
On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700,
Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

Getting Christian Creationists to catch up with St. Augustine.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@gmail.com

Martin Andersen

Apr 20, 2007, 12:16:43 AM4/20/07
Ian Chua wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

Desirable wrt what? Personal wishes? Sexual selection? Somersaulting?

*I* wouldn't mind if obviously defective genes and traits like cystic fibroses
etc. was removed.

*I* would fancy a richer sensation of color. Say we splice in a couple more
types of color sensitive cones that trigger further into the infrared and
ultraviolet while still providing a contiguous coverage. Maybe somehow altering
the cone responsible for triggering the most frequently on green frequency
photons so that it fits in closer to the middle of the zones covered by the
"red" and "blue" cones.

Not very creative, I know, but *I* wouldn't mind a plain old "tune up" of all
the other standard senses as well. It would be nice.

Maybe scientists could figure out more efficient ways to vaccinate people via
genetics, so that we come into life with "preloaded" immune systems (more so
than they already are).

A more efficient metabolism
Longer lifespans
better regenerative powers possibly even to the extent of regrowing severed
limbs or organs (which leads to a wish for better organ redundancy as well)
And the list goes on and on, etc. etc.

Wishful thinking is really just that. Is there a point to your question?

Mark VandeWettering

Apr 20, 2007, 1:01:37 AM4/20/07

Perhaps some kind of giant albino shouting gorilla...

Mike Dworetsky

Apr 20, 2007, 2:13:30 AM4/20/07
"John Wilkins" <j.wil...@uq.edu.au> wrote in message

> Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu> wrote:
>
>> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>
> Definitely a penis in each index finger. I want to be shaking as many
> hands as I can do...

"If there is reincarnation, I'd like to come back as Warren Beatty's
fingertips."

--Woody Allen

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Therion Ware

Apr 20, 2007, 4:12:08 AM4/20/07

On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, Ian Chua wrote in message
<1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:

>If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

The capacity for vitamin production would be nice, along with some
form of photosynthetic effect, so that people could live on sunlight!
And while we're at it the ability to re grow limbs, internal organ and
teeth would be nice.

--
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
attrib: Pauline Réage.

Ian Chua

Apr 20, 2007, 6:06:32 AM4/20/07
On Apr 19, 7:04 pm, Ian Chua <i...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

How about a long-haul terrorist sensing satellite?

Ian Chua

Apr 20, 2007, 6:07:42 AM4/20/07
On Apr 19, 7:04 pm, Ian Chua <i...@purdue.edu> wrote:
> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

How about suggesting character traits that should survive and those
that are not desirable?

Dogma Discharge

Apr 20, 2007, 6:05:30 AM4/20/07

"Perplexed in Peoria" <jimme...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Personally, I hope they come up with a way of propagating the species
> without the requirement for sexual intercourse. The contact is
> unsanitary,
> the exertion is excessive, and the posture is ridiculous.

So what you're really saying is you're neurotic, lazy and self conscious? :)

John Wilkins

Apr 20, 2007, 6:42:28 AM4/20/07
Mark VandeWettering <wett...@attbi.com> wrote:

I don't shout.

J.J. O'Shea

Apr 20, 2007, 7:00:53 AM4/20/07
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:04:14 -0400, Ian Chua wrote
(in article <1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>):

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

The ability to reach out over USENET and strangle idiots.

SeppoP

Apr 20, 2007, 7:09:19 AM4/20/07
J.J. O'Shea wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:04:14 -0400, Ian Chua wrote
> (in article <1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>):
>
>> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>>

> The ability to reach out over USENET and strangle idiots.

*That* sounds like a great idea!

--
Seppo P.
What's wrong with Theocracy? (a Finnish Taliban, Oct 1, 2005)

Mark VandeWettering

Apr 20, 2007, 10:24:16 AM4/20/07

I think the character trait of beginning threads on subjects which
are completely off tangent, and then using them to engage in some kind
of psuedo-Socratic exposition in some vain attempt to make some point
which is known only to the original poster is an undesirable trait and
should be engineered out of the species.

Mark

Rich Townsend

Apr 20, 2007, 10:47:05 AM4/20/07
John Wilkins wrote:
> Mark VandeWettering <wett...@attbi.com> wrote:

>>> Then, and only then, can you take on the Haarlem Globetrotters.
>> Perhaps some kind of giant albino shouting gorilla...
>
> I don't shout.

That's what the cattle prods are for.

Mark Isaak

Apr 20, 2007, 1:34:29 PM4/20/07

Yes, the future is intelligent, self-replicating long-haul space-faring
robots. They would no doubt consider humans to be terrorists.

Some may not view this as an improvement, though.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) earthlink (dot) net
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of

Desertphile

Apr 20, 2007, 3:48:33 PM4/20/07
On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu> wrote:

> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

Desertphile to get a girlfriend.

--
http://desertphile.org
"Buffy has super strength; why don't we just load her up

Richard Clayton

Apr 20, 2007, 6:11:44 PM4/20/07
Therion Ware wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, Ian Chua wrote in message
> <1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
>
>> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>
> The capacity for vitamin production would be nice, along with some
> form of photosynthetic effect, so that people could live on sunlight!

I read a science fiction book series with a similar premise.
Unfortunately it more or less caused the collapse of human civilization,
since autotrophs don't really *need* each other.

Richard Clayton

Apr 20, 2007, 6:59:44 PM4/20/07
Mark Isaak wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 03:06:32 -0700, Ian Chua wrote:
>
>> On Apr 19, 7:04 pm, Ian Chua <i...@purdue.edu> wrote:
>>> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>>> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>> How about a long-haul terrorist sensing satellite?
>
> Yes, the future is intelligent, self-replicating long-haul space-faring
> robots. They would no doubt consider humans to be terrorists.
>
> Some may not view this as an improvement, though.

Maybe I can convince them I'm goodlife.

Bob Casanova

Apr 20, 2007, 7:17:25 PM4/20/07
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:37:15 -0400, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Rich Townsend
<rh...@barVOIDtol.udel.edu>:

They moved to the Netherlands? Why am I *always* the last to
get the memo?!?
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

Bob Casanova

Apr 20, 2007, 7:14:06 PM4/20/07
On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, the following appeared in
talk.origins, posted by Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu>:

>If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?

An increase in rationality, so that frauds and demagogues
can't frighten people with lies about myths like hell and
Satan.

Rich Townsend

Apr 20, 2007, 11:03:27 PM4/20/07
Bob Casanova wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:37:15 -0400, the following appeared
> in talk.origins, posted by Rich Townsend
> <rh...@barVOIDtol.udel.edu>:
>
>> Mark VandeWettering wrote:

>>> I want a cannon in my chest, and X-Ray vision.
>>>
>> Then, and only then, can you take on the Haarlem Globetrotters.
>
> They moved to the Netherlands? Why am I *always* the last to
> get the memo?!?

Nah, they're on the Globetrotter Homeworld these days....

Therion Ware

Apr 21, 2007, 4:15:59 AM4/21/07
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:11:44 GMT, Richard Clayton
<pockZIGe...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Therion Ware wrote:
>> On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, Ian Chua wrote in message
>> <1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
>>
>>> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>>> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>>
>> The capacity for vitamin production would be nice, along with some
>> form of photosynthetic effect, so that people could live on sunlight!
>
> I read a science fiction book series with a similar premise.
>Unfortunately it more or less caused the collapse of human civilization,
>since autotrophs don't really *need* each other.

We may not need each other, but I think we could count on us needing
the trappings of civilisation, music systems, big screen TVs,
computers and so on, and hence needing each other to make them!

--
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
attrib: Pauline Réage.

http://www.city-of-dis.com/p_q.asp?I1=69597&I2=69121
The begining...

Desertphile

Apr 21, 2007, 1:45:22 PM4/21/07
<pockZIGe...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Therion Ware wrote:
> > On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, Ian Chua wrote in message
> > <1177023854.9...@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
> >
> >> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
> >> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
> >
> > The capacity for vitamin production would be nice, along with some
> > form of photosynthetic effect, so that people could live on sunlight!

> I read a science fiction book series with a similar premise.
> Unfortunately it more or less caused the collapse of human civilization,
> since autotrophs don't really *need* each other.

"Unfortunately?" The collapse of human civilizaion would be a GOOD
thing.

--
http://desertphile.org

"I've hired myself out as a tourist attraction." -- Spike

Martin Andersen

Apr 21, 2007, 2:05:52 PM4/21/07
Desertphile wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:11:44 GMT, Richard Clayton
> <pockZIGe...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Therion Ware wrote:

>>> The capacity for vitamin production would be nice, along with some
>>> form of photosynthetic effect, so that people could live on sunlight!
>
>> I read a science fiction book series with a similar premise.
>> Unfortunately it more or less caused the collapse of human civilization,
>> since autotrophs don't really *need* each other.
>
> "Unfortunately?" The collapse of human civilizaion would be a GOOD
> thing.

By what metric?

Message has been deleted

Martin Kaletsch

Apr 22, 2007, 3:51:40 AM4/22/07
Desertphile wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, Ian Chua <ic...@purdue.edu> wrote:
>
>> If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can
>> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>
> Desertphile to get a girlfriend.

Weren't you waiting for some girl to devolve sufficiently?
How's that going?

;-)

My hope that some parallel branch of life would evolve something that would
date me is still unfullfilled!

--
Martin Kaletsch

Desertphile

Apr 23, 2007, 12:47:33 PM4/23/07
On Apr 21, 12:05 pm, Martin Andersen <d...@ikke.nu> wrote:
> Desertphilewrote:

> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:11:44 GMT, Richard Clayton
> > <pockZIGetnZIG...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> I read a science fiction book series with a similar premise.
> >> Unfortunately it more or less caused the collapse ofhumancivilization,
> >> since autotrophs don't really *need* each other.
>
> > "Unfortunately?" The collapse ofhumancivilizaion would be a GOOD
> > thing.

> By what metric?

The number of species that have gone extinct and will go extinct
because of Humanity.

Desertphile

Apr 23, 2007, 12:48:21 PM4/23/07
On Apr 21, 1:04 pm, nmp <addr...@is.invalid> wrote:
> Op Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:48:33 -0600, schreefDesertphile:
>
> > On 19 Apr 2007 16:04:14 -0700, Ian Chua <i...@purdue.edu> wrote:
>
> >> If you think thehumanrace have evolved to the extent that it can

> >> engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>
> >Desertphileto get a girlfriend.

> I thought you were a hermit? Hermits don't have (or want) girlfriends.
>
> But perhaps you should go out more, meet new people.

Hee! People suck limes. Goats are superior.

skyeyes

Apr 23, 2007, 1:26:17 PM4/23/07
On Apr 19, 4:29 pm, dkomo <dkomo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Ian Chua wrote:
> > If you think the human race have evolved to the extent that it can

> > engineer its future, what aspects of improvement would be desirable?
>
> I'd like the day vision of an eagle, the night vision of a cat, the
> sense of smell of a dog, the hearing frequency range of a dolphin, the
> hearing acuteness and directionality of an owl, the sprint capability of
> a cheetah, the strength of an ox, the running endurance of a wolf,
> double the intelligence of today's smartest humans, the ability to see
> into the near infrared and far ultraviolet.
>
> For starters...

If you add the equipment of a stallion, I'm all yours. ;->

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
skyeyes at dakotacom dot net

Therion Ware

Apr 23, 2007, 3:15:51 PM4/23/07

What, bridle, saddle, blinkers, and a crop?

Martin Andersen

Apr 23, 2007, 3:18:20 PM4/23/07
Kinky.

*cold shower*

Robert Weldon

Apr 23, 2007, 5:37:11 PM4/23/07

You want us to have hooves and a long flowing tail?

John Wilkins

Apr 23, 2007, 6:50:10 PM4/23/07
Desertphile <deser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

So, species have a moral value intrinsically? All of them, or just the
cute and cuddly ones?

Desertphile

Apr 24, 2007, 10:45:36 AM4/24/07
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:50:10 +1000, j.wil...@uq.edu.au (John
Wilkins) wrote:

> Desertphile <deser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > By what metric?
> >
> > The number of species that have gone extinct and will go extinct
> > because of Humanity.

> So, species have a moral value intrinsically? All of them, or just the
> cute and cuddly ones?

Mostly the cute and cuddly ones: I don't like the parasites.
However, most species deserve to exist, and humans have a moral
and ethical responsibility to let them exist: which, out of
ignorance and greed we have failed to do. Best that humanity got
out of the way and let everyone else exist.

Walter Bushell

Apr 24, 2007, 10:21:03 PM4/24/07
In article <1hx2gbm.17b7rgxrwpcofN%j.wil...@uq.edu.au>,
j.wil...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:
<snip>

> Desertphile <deser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > The number of species that have gone extinct and will go extinct
> > because of Humanity.
>
> So, species have a moral value intrinsically? All of them, or just the
> cute and cuddly ones?

All, even bedbugs should be preserved in zoos. There is a cry out about
polar bears, which no one considers cuddly. Doctors have even found uses
for leeches.

John Wilkins

Apr 24, 2007, 11:46:43 PM4/24/07
Desertphile <deser...@nospam.org> wrote:

So evolution is basically an immoral process, for it clearly doesn't
respect the rights of species to exist, given that 99% or so of them are
extinct.

Tiny Bulcher

Apr 25, 2007, 5:00:48 PM4/25/07
žus cwęš skyeyes:

You are Catherine the Great, and I claim my five bucks.