Creationist: Teaching 'evolution-only' dampens respect for human life

1 view

Jason Spaceman

Apr 20, 2007, 9:33:13 AM4/20/07
From the article:
Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007

The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
Virginia.

Dr. Grady McMurtry is a full-time creation evangelist who travels the world
teaching Christian and secular audiences about the scientific evidence
supporting the biblical view of creationism. For years, he says, public
schools and universities have taught the theory of evolution as fact, with
no opposing viewpoints -- and the result, he contends, is a lack of respect
for human life.

Therefore, he asserts, people should not be surprised when mass shootings
occur, such as the one on the Blacksburg university campus on Monday. "And
at Virginia Tech, what do we have?" he asks rhetorically. "We have a person
who, unfortunately, thought that humans had no more value than cats and
dogs -- and unfortunately, I think, probably felt the same way about
themselves."

Read it at
http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/04/creationist_teaching_evolution.php

J. Spaceman

Elf M. Sternberg

Apr 20, 2007, 9:57:58 AM4/20/07
Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> writes:

> Therefore, he asserts, people should not be surprised when mass shootings
> occur, such as the one on the Blacksburg university campus on Monday. "And
> at Virginia Tech, what do we have?" he asks rhetorically. "We have a person
> who, unfortunately, thought that humans had no more value than cats and
> dogs -- and unfortunately, I think, probably felt the same way about
> themselves."

On the same side of the aisle we have Dinesh D'Souza
proclaiming that God orchestrated the VA Tech massacre "to bring
people closer to him."

So, which is it?

Elf

Bobby Bryant

Apr 20, 2007, 10:07:13 AM4/20/07
In article <f0afep$lno$1...@news.datemas.de>,

Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> writes:
> From the article:
> Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>
> The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> Virginia.

So how come it happened in a country with an extremely high rate of
evolution-rejection, rather than in a country where people actually
believe "evolution only"?

--
Bobby Bryant
Reno, Nevada

Remove your hat to reply by e-mail.

TomS

Apr 20, 2007, 10:19:00 AM4/20/07
"On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:33:13 -0400, in article <f0afep$lno$1...@news.datemas.de>,
Jason Spaceman stated..."

Take a look at PZ's Pharyngula blog entry, "Creationists drown puppies!"

<http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/04/creationists_drown_puppies.php>

--
---Tom S.
"...when men have a real explanation they explain it, eagerly and copiously and

Bloopen...@juno.com

Apr 20, 2007, 10:19:27 AM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 10:07 am, bdbry...@wherever.ur (Bobby Bryant) wrote:
> In article <f0afep$ln...@news.datemas.de>,

That is precisely what I was thinking. You never hear about stuff like
the VT massacre happening in Germany or Finland, where creationism has
little support.

Sociology is a tough subject and I hate it when people jump to broad
conclusions based on what they can remember happening in their own
regions in the last four decades that happen to have been their
lifetime.

Bloopen...@juno.com

Apr 20, 2007, 10:25:53 AM4/20/07
Okay, before anyone points it out, I can see I left myself a rather
embarrassing and ironic hole by mentioning Germany as a generally
peaceful country and going on to lament simplistic views of sociology.
However, there is some evidence that Hitler was a creationist (
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA006_1.html ). And I was
referring to the West Germany of the 60s-1990 and modern Germany,
which are highly secularized.

Robert Carnegie

Apr 20, 2007, 12:17:14 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 3:25 pm, Bloopenblop...@juno.com wrote:
> Okay, before anyone points it out, I can see I left myself a rather
> embarrassing and ironic hole by mentioning Germany as a generally
> peaceful country and going on to lament simplistic views of sociology.
> However, there is some evidence that Hitler was a creationist (http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA006_1.html). And I was

> referring to the West Germany of the 60s-1990 and modern Germany,
> which are highly secularized.

Yes. In Britain as well as perhaps in America, people who may have
never crossed the border of their county seem to hold a belief that
Germany today essentially is as it was in 1944, or in 1914, and
populated by all the same people, except for Dr von Braun obviously.

Of coorse there was a notable school massacre in Germany five years
ago this month. But for a single school massacre in Germany to be
still notable five years later shows that there is still a difference
between Germany and America.

Psycho Dave

Apr 20, 2007, 12:33:51 PM4/20/07
That's rather ironic that he'd say that "belief in evolution" caused
the VA Tech shooting. I've been reading and watching excerpts from the
kid's video confession, and it appears that he's rather religious. He
was a member of a Korean Evangelical church, and he ranted about how
immoral people were, how women were whores, and how hedonism was
destroying America. Then he went on to compare himself to Christ.

He didn't say anything about evolution, but I'm assuming that since he
was on a "moralistic crusade" to "cleanse the campus" (those are my
words) of hedonistic whores and immorality, that he favored
creationism.

Of course, we can't forget that his mental illness was made worse by
his religious convictions.

Daoud

Apr 20, 2007, 1:30:02 PM4/20/07
Darwin caused the VT shooting! I *knew* it!

wf3h

Apr 20, 2007, 1:31:47 PM4/20/07

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>
> The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> Virginia.

isn't it ironic that the most ardent defenders of guns...and the right
of the mentally ill, and criminals to have guns...are creationists.

> Dr. Grady McMurtry is a full-time creation evangelist who travels the world
> teaching Christian and secular audiences about the scientific evidence
> supporting the biblical view of creationism. For years, he says, public
> schools and universities have taught the theory of evolution as fact, with
> no opposing viewpoints -- and the result, he contends, is a lack of respect
> for human life.

isnt it ironic the states with the highest murder rates are those
where fundamentalist christianity is strongest...

snex

Apr 20, 2007, 1:39:51 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 12:31 pm, wf3h <w...@vsswireless.net> wrote:
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> > From the article:
> > Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>
> > The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> > teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> > responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> > Virginia.
>
> isn't it ironic that the most ardent defenders of guns...and the right
> of the mentally ill, and criminals to have guns...are creationists.

where has the NRA ever issued a report on its official opinions about
origins?

Ferrous Patella

Apr 20, 2007, 1:50:16 PM4/20/07
news:f0afep$lno$1...@news.datemas.de by Jason Spaceman:

> From the article:
> Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>
> The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> Virginia.

But 'decades of teaching "evolution only" in public schools' explain the
even worse Bath School Disaster (1927 with over 40 students dead. See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster )

> Dr. Grady McMurtry is a full-time creation evangelist who travels the
> world teaching Christian and secular audiences about the scientific
> evidence supporting the biblical view of creationism. For years, he
> says, public schools and universities have taught the theory of
> evolution as fact, with no opposing viewpoints -- and the result, he
> contends, is a lack of respect for human life.
>
> Therefore, he asserts, people should not be surprised when mass
> shootings occur, such as the one on the Blacksburg university campus
> on Monday. "And at Virginia Tech, what do we have?" he asks
> rhetorically. "We have a person who, unfortunately, thought that
> humans had no more value than cats and dogs -- and unfortunately, I
> think, probably felt the same way about themselves."
> ---

Blaming the shooting on 'decades of teaching "evolution only" in public
schools' ignores even worse events such as the Bath School Disaster
(1927 with over 40 students dead. See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

I am appalled at people willing to promote their cause on the deaths of
the VTI students and faculty.

--
"Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever."
Annual English Teachers' awards for best student

Martin Andersen

Apr 20, 2007, 2:29:07 PM4/20/07
Bloopen...@juno.com wrote:
> On Apr 20, 10:07 am, bdbry...@wherever.ur (Bobby Bryant) wrote:
>> In article <f0afep$ln...@news.datemas.de>,
>> Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> writes:
>>
>>> From the article:
>>> Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>>> The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
>>> teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
>>> responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
>>> Virginia.
>> So how come it happened in a country with an extremely high rate of
>> evolution-rejection, rather than in a country where people actually
>> believe "evolution only"?
>>
>> --
>> Bobby Bryant
>> Reno, Nevada
>>
>> Remove your hat to reply by e-mail.
>
> That is precisely what I was thinking. You never hear about stuff like
> the VT massacre happening in Germany or Finland, where creationism has
> little support.

To be fair, they had a school shooting in Erfurt, Germany in 2002 spawning more
regulation against "violent" computer games.

wf3h

Apr 20, 2007, 2:52:53 PM4/20/07

snex wrote:
> On Apr 20, 12:31 pm, wf3h <w...@vsswireless.net> wrote:
> > Jason Spaceman wrote:
> > > From the article:
> > > Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
> >
> > > The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> > > teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> > > responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> > > Virginia.
> >
> > isn't it ironic that the most ardent defenders of guns...and the right
> > of the mentally ill, and criminals to have guns...are creationists.
>
> where has the NRA ever issued a report on its official opinions about
> origins?

living in texas, the NRA has a large overlap with the creationist
movement

Luminoso

Apr 20, 2007, 3:07:23 PM4/20/07

What a DINK !

Besides, if the only reason you have any respect for human
life is it's (very) distant origins ... well ...

Lucifer

Apr 20, 2007, 3:17:36 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 2:33 pm, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> From the article:
> Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>
> The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> Virginia.
>
> Dr. Grady McMurtry is a full-time creation evangelist who travels the world
> teaching Christian and secular audiences about the scientific evidence
> supporting the biblical view of creationism.

There isn't any.

> For years, he says, public
> schools and universities have taught the theory of evolution as fact, with
> no opposing viewpoints -- and the result, he contends, is a lack of respect
> for human life.

Whereas claiming to be made of dirt isn't devaluing human life? Lab,
is that the lab? I need a new irony meter.

> Therefore, he asserts, people should not be surprised when mass shootings
> occur, such as the one on the Blacksburg university campus on Monday. "And
> at Virginia Tech, what do we have?" he asks rhetorically. "We have a person
> who, unfortunately, thought that humans had no more value than cats and
> dogs -- and unfortunately, I think, probably felt the same way about
> themselves."
>
> Read it athttp://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/04/creationist_teaching_evolution.php
>
> J. Spaceman

The Virginia killings were comitted by a christian.

snex

Apr 20, 2007, 3:37:35 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 1:52 pm, wf3h <w...@vsswireless.net> wrote:
> snex wrote:

> > > isn't it ironic that the most ardent defenders of guns...and the right
> > > of the mentally ill, and criminals to have guns...are creationists.
>
> > where has the NRA ever issued a report on its official opinions about
> > origins?
>
> living in texas, the NRA has a large overlap with the creationist
> movement

so? they probably all believe in the doctrine of the trinity too.

jessica....@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2007, 5:30:20 PM4/20/07
Yeah, the footage I saw showed him comparing himself to Jesus Christ.
And I found the pictures and text that he sent to NBC scanned into a
PDF online. He seemed very anti-materialism and anti-media.

Klaus

Apr 20, 2007, 5:51:03 PM4/20/07

So, teaching evolution makes people wet? Does this have something to do
with the aquatic ape theory?
Klaus

Bloopen...@juno.com

Apr 20, 2007, 6:14:36 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 2:29 pm, Martin Andersen <d...@ikke.nu> wrote:

Yeah, well, by my count, based on this article (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres ), the current
statistics for 20th- and 21st-century school killings appear to be:

Country # of Killings # Killed
------------ ----------------- ------------
USA 41 188
Canada 6 27
Germany 3 27
China 3 10
Australia 2 3
UK 1 17
Japan 1 8
Russia 1 344*
Bosnia 1 2
Argentina 1 3
Thailand 1 3
Netherlands 1 1

*=Beslan hostage incident

This does not include several suicides at school, most of which were
in the US. As you can see, US schools are by far the most deadly.

snex

Apr 20, 2007, 6:21:22 PM4/20/07
> Yeah, well, by my count, based on this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres), the current

> statistics for 20th- and 21st-century school killings appear to be:
>
> Country # of Killings # Killed
> ------------ ----------------- ------------
> USA 41 188
> Canada 6 27
> Germany 3 27
> China 3 10
> Australia 2 3
> UK 1 17
> Japan 1 8
> Russia 1 344*
> Bosnia 1 2
> Argentina 1 3
> Thailand 1 3
> Netherlands 1 1
>
> *=Beslan hostage incident
>
> This does not include several suicides at school, most of which were
> in the US. As you can see, US schools are by far the most deadly.

what happens if you scale for total populations and population
densities?

Bobby Bryant

Apr 20, 2007, 6:26:32 PM4/20/07
In article <1177107276....@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Bloopen...@juno.com writes:

> Yeah, well, by my count, based on this article (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres ), the current
> statistics for 20th- and 21st-century school killings appear to be:
>
> Country # of Killings # Killed
> ------------ ----------------- ------------
> USA 41 188
> Canada 6 27
> Germany 3 27
> China 3 10
> Australia 2 3

I thought I read that there had been a really nasty one in Australia
not too long ago.

Bloopen...@juno.com

Apr 20, 2007, 6:31:26 PM4/20/07

Ah, good catch, I didn't think about that. I have now embarrassed
myself twice in one thread. Okay...hmmm this would be difficult
because these populations have shifted over time. Maybe I'll get onto
that one later.

nando_r...@yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2007, 6:46:25 PM4/20/07
I think we should not be surprised anymore about a newsreport saying
"loner shoots, kills, rapes, rampages etc." People should put
loneliness on the political agenda in response to such a tragedy.
Things appear to be much worse for loneliness in the West, then they
are in Africa. But what I fear will actually happen in response to
this tragedy is that they will give more and more drugs and
professional care to lonely people. That seemed to be the response in
previous tragedies. There is no possible way people can become
socialized from drugs and talks with doctors because the treatment
does not involve any significant love. These lonely people are like
children emotionally, it is the same thing as giving drugs and
psychiatric care to a 4 year old. It is never going to work without
offering an emotional bond to start with.Love is not an emergent
complex electro-chemical process in the brain that can be generated
through drugs or the expertise knowledge of a psychiatrist. You simply
need 2 people to make a commitment to each other.

regards,
Mohammad Nur Syamsu

snex

Apr 20, 2007, 6:53:12 PM4/20/07
On Apr 20, 5:46 pm, "nando_rontel...@yahoo.com"

you mean like cho's parents, two married christian people?

Ye Old One

Apr 20, 2007, 7:09:50 PM4/20/07
On 20 Apr 2007 15:46:25 -0700, "nando_r...@yahoo.com"

You know, for once I'm in complete agreement with Nando.

I think I better go and lie down now.....

--
Bob.

Free Lunch

Apr 20, 2007, 7:38:28 PM4/20/07
On 20 Apr 2007 15:14:36 -0700, in talk.origins
Bloopen...@juno.com wrote in
<1177107276....@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:

Which is a bit different from the others.

>This does not include several suicides at school, most of which were
>in the US. As you can see, US schools are by far the most deadly.

Except that, per capita, Canada, of all places, is more dangerous.

Shane

Apr 20, 2007, 8:57:43 PM4/20/07
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:26:32 GMT, Bobby Bryant wrote:

> In article <1177107276....@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> Bloopen...@juno.com writes:
>
>> Yeah, well, by my count, based on this article (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres ), the current
>> statistics for 20th- and 21st-century school killings appear to be:
>>
>> Country # of Killings # Killed
>> ------------ ----------------- ------------
>> USA 41 188
>> Canada 6 27
>> Germany 3 27
>> China 3 10
>> Australia 2 3
>
> I thought I read that there had been a really nasty one in Australia
> not too long ago.

Mass murder yes (35 dead), school related one, no.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infamous_Australian_mass_murders

Martin Andersen

Apr 20, 2007, 10:01:55 PM4/20/07
I would argue the numbers aren't at all meaningful for most of those countries
because it happened in so few incidents. Extrapolating a single or couple of
incidents doesn't give any meaningful information, but I did it anyway.

Country # Killings # Killed R # Killings R # Killed
------------ ---------- -------- ------------ ----------
USA 41 188 41.00 188.00
Canada 6 27 54.12 243.54
Germany 3 27 11.85 106.65
China 3 10 0.69 2.30
Australia 2 3 29.48 44.22
UK 1 17 4.95 84.15
Japan 1 8 2.36 18.88
Russia 1 344 2.13 732.72
Bosnia 1 2 66.15 132.30
Argentina 1 3 7.47 22.41
Thailand 1 3 4.63 13.89
Netherlands 1 1 18.17 18.17

Populations from the CIA World Fact Book (July 2007 estimates)
USA 301,139,947 1.00
Canada 33,390,141 9.02
Germany 82,400,996 3.95
China 1,321,851,888 0.23
Australia 20,434,176 14.74
UK 60,776,238 4.95
Japan 127,433,494 2.36
Russia 141,377,752 2.13
Bosnia 4,552,198 66.15 (Includes Herzegovina)
Argentina 40,301,927 7.47
Thailand 65,068,149 4.63
Netherlands 16,570,613 18.17

Martin Andersen

Apr 20, 2007, 10:18:25 PM4/20/07
Adding: And if those school shootings are really all that happened worldwide we
can get much more interesting numbers.

World population sans USA: 6,301,084,228
USA size relative to the rest of the world: 0.04779
Killings worldwide sans USA: 21
Kills worldwide sans USA: 445

If the rest of the world had the population size of the USA:
There would have been this many killings: 1.00359
Resulting in this many kills: 21.26655

How do you like them apples?

John Wilkins

Apr 20, 2007, 11:25:49 PM4/20/07
Bobby Bryant <bdbr...@wherever.ur> wrote:

> In article <1177107276....@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> Bloopen...@juno.com writes:
>
> > Yeah, well, by my count, based on this article (
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres ), the current
> > statistics for 20th- and 21st-century school killings appear to be:
> >
> > Country # of Killings # Killed
> > ------------ ----------------- ------------
> > USA 41 188
> > Canada 6 27
> > Germany 3 27
> > China 3 10
> > Australia 2 3
>
> I thought I read that there had been a really nasty one in Australia
> not too long ago.

Australia has had three mass killings, none involving schools (one was a
sniper in an inner urban suburb - three motorcyclists were killed. I had
ridden my motorcycle down that street an hour earlier).
--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

John Wilkins

Apr 20, 2007, 11:25:48 PM4/20/07
Martin Andersen <d...@ikke.nu> wrote:

Take care here: you are leaving out unreported cases in, say Rwanda, or
Congo, or Burma, and other places where such things get swamped in the
midst of the general mayhem. And what about those regions of the world
that lack formal schools?

Even so, the US situation is intolerable among civilised nations.

Pete G.

Apr 20, 2007, 11:33:45 PM4/20/07
"John Wilkins" <j.wilkins1@uq.

>> I thought I read that there had been a really nasty one in Australia
>> not too long ago.
>
> Australia has had three mass killings, none involving schools (one was a
> sniper in an inner urban suburb - three motorcyclists were killed. I had
> ridden my motorcycle down that street an hour earlier).

Didn't Australia respond to a shooting-spree massacre in Port Arthur with *a
massive clampdown on gun availability* -- since when there has been a really
big drop-off in spree killings...?

P.

Martin Andersen

Apr 20, 2007, 11:55:37 PM4/20/07
John Wilkins wrote:
> Martin Andersen <d...@ikke.nu> wrote:
[snip]

>> Adding: And if those school shootings are really all that happened
>> worldwide we can get much more interesting numbers.
>>
>> World population sans USA: 6,301,084,228
>> USA size relative to the rest of the world: 0.04779
>> Killings worldwide sans USA: 21
>> Kills worldwide sans USA: 445
>>
>> If the rest of the world had the population size of the USA:
>> There would have been this many killings: 1.00359
>> Resulting in this many kills: 21.26655
>>
>> How do you like them apples?
>
> Take care here: you are leaving out unreported cases in, say Rwanda, or
> Congo, or Burma, and other places where such things get swamped in the
> midst of the general mayhem. And what about those regions of the world
> that lack formal schools?
>
> Even so, the US situation is intolerable among civilised nations.

I agree. The "if" in the very first quoted line should have been in all caps and
bold letters :)

John Wilkins

Apr 20, 2007, 11:59:42 PM4/20/07
Pete G. <Pe...@com.net> wrote:

Yes, and there is a move to clamp down now on semiautomatic handguns
because of VT. But we had very few spree killings anyway.

Rodjk #613

Apr 21, 2007, 1:52:02 AM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 7:59 am, j.wilki...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:

I may be wrong, but I thought Australia had pretty tough gun control
laws already, at least tough compared to the US. Is that accurate?

Rodjk #613

John Wilkins

Apr 21, 2007, 3:21:33 AM4/21/07
Rodjk #613 <rjk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 7:59 am, j.wilki...@uq.edu.au (John Wilkins) wrote:
> > Pete G. <P...@com.net> wrote:
> > > "John Wilkins" <j.wilkins1@uq.

> > > Didn't Australia respond to a shooting-spree massacre in Port Arthur
> > > with *a massive clampdown on gun availability* -- since when there has
> > > been a really big drop-off in spree killings...?
> >
> > Yes, and there is a move to clamp down now on semiautomatic handguns
> > because of VT. But we had very few spree killings anyway.
>

> I may be wrong, but I thought Australia had pretty tough gun control
> laws already, at least tough compared to the US. Is that accurate?

Semiauto handguns were not included among the buyback, for some reason.

Lucifer

Apr 21, 2007, 4:22:20 AM4/21/07

Pretty poor, as you counted population for a number of countries that
weren't included by the statistics. Why don't you compare to the UK.
We have a population about 15/th the size of the USA. We have had one
school shooting, 17 people died. So in the USA, 11 times as many
people died, yet the population is only five times the size. Then one
can look at the overall firearms murder rates...

Gregory A Greenman

Apr 21, 2007, 4:35:14 AM4/21/07
In article <87ps5z6...@drizzle.com>, Elf M. Sternberg
<e...@drizzle.com> declared...

> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> writes:
>
> > Therefore, he asserts, people should not be surprised when mass shootings
> > occur, such as the one on the Blacksburg university campus on Monday. "And
> > at Virginia Tech, what do we have?" he asks rhetorically. "We have a person
> > who, unfortunately, thought that humans had no more value than cats and
> > dogs -- and unfortunately, I think, probably felt the same way about
> > themselves."
>
> On the same side of the aisle we have Dinesh D'Souza
> proclaiming that God orchestrated the VA Tech massacre "to bring
> people closer to him."
>
> So, which is it?

I'm sure they'll pray to god to resolve this contradiction. In a
few days, after god tells them who's right, they'll all present
the same story.

--
Greg
----

Shane

Apr 21, 2007, 9:04:37 AM4/21/07

That is correct. Handguns have pretty much always been difficult to own
outside of gun clubs. Older military style weapons were allowed, but any
fully automatic capability had to be disabled. To the best of my
recollection, no current military weapons were allowed.

Desertphile

Apr 21, 2007, 10:15:21 AM4/21/07
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:07:13 GMT, bdbr...@wherever.ur (Bobby
Bryant) wrote:

> In article <f0afep$lno$1...@news.datemas.de>,

> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> writes:
> > From the article:
> > Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
> >
> > The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> > teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> > responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> > Virginia.

> So how come it happened in a country with an extremely high rate of
> evolution-rejection, rather than in a country where people actually
> believe "evolution only"?

Because religious societies are also violent societies. The more
religion one has, the more violent one is. See, as one example,
Gregory S. Paul's essay "Cross-National Correlations of
Quantifiable Societal Health with Popular Religiosity and
Secularism in the Prosperous Democracies."

The more atheists a society has, the less violent it is.

--
http://desertphile.org
"Buffy has super strength; why don't we just load her up

Desertphile

Apr 21, 2007, 10:15:17 AM4/21/07
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:33:13 -0400, Jason Spaceman
<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:

> From the article:
> Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>
> The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> Virginia.

So does teaching "heliocentrism only." I'm sure "gravity only" is
also greatly responsible.

> Dr. Grady McMurtry is a full-time creation evangelist who travels the world

> teaching [sic] Christian and secular audiences about the scientific [sic]
> evidence [sic

Golly, no cult-brainwashed biases there, by gods.

Pete G.

Apr 21, 2007, 11:33:36 AM4/21/07
"Lucifer" <wyrd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Why don't you compare to the UK.
> We have a population about 15/th the size of the USA. We have had one
> school shooting, 17 people died. So in the USA, 11 times as many
> people died, yet the population is only five times the size. Then one
> can look at the overall firearms murder rates...

Does anyone know what is the smallest number of variables that need to be
combined to show a comprehensible pattern for gun killings? Number of
weapons in circulation; type of weapons in circulation; population number;
population density; and so on..? Surely *someone* has some kind of a handle
on this...?

P.

Martin Andersen

Apr 21, 2007, 12:26:46 PM4/21/07
As I said:
"And if those school shootings are really all that happened worldwide [..]"
which all relies on the completeness of the wiki article. If it's complete, all
countries are included in the statistics.

And I did compare to the UK. It would have been 4.95 killings in US figures, and
84.15 kills.

Lucifer

Apr 21, 2007, 1:11:43 PM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 4:33 pm, "Pete G." <P...@com.net> wrote:
> "Lucifer" <wyrdol...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The overall firearms murder rate compared to the population is a good
start

--

Lucifer - Yamaha XV535 Virago

er...@swva.net

Apr 21, 2007, 1:43:04 PM4/21/07
On Apr 20, 9:33 am, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> From the article:
> Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
>
> The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> Virginia.
>
> Dr. Grady McMurtry is a full-time creation evangelist who travels the world
> teaching Christian and secular audiences about the scientific evidence
> supporting the biblical view of creationism. For years, he says, public
> schools and universities have taught the theory of evolution as fact, with
> no opposing viewpoints -- and the result, he contends, is a lack of respect
> for human life.

> Therefore, he asserts, people should not be surprised when mass shootings
> occur, such as the one on the Blacksburg university campus on Monday. "And
> at Virginia Tech, what do we have?" he asks rhetorically. "We have a person
> who, unfortunately, thought that humans had no more value than cats and
> dogs -- and unfortunately, I think, probably felt the same way about
> themselves."
>
> Read it athttp://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/04/creationist_teaching_evolution.php
>
> J. Spaceman

So "Dr." McMurtry thinks it's okay to slaughter cats and dogs in a fit
of psychopathic rage? What a creep. I think too much creeationism has
led to a lack of respect for truth and honesty on his part.

Eric Root

Timberwoof

Apr 21, 2007, 10:25:04 PM4/21/07
In article <086k23pgg1noej1ba...@4ax.com>,
Desertphile <deser...@nospam.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:07:13 GMT, bdbr...@wherever.ur (Bobby
> Bryant) wrote:
>
> > In article <f0afep$lno$1...@news.datemas.de>,
> > Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> writes:
> > > From the article:
> > > Allie Martin OneNewsNow.comApril 19, 2007
> > >
> > > The president of Creation Worldview Ministries says decades of
> > > teaching "evolution only" in public schools and universities is partly
> > > responsible for crimes such as the mass shooting earlier this week in
> > > Virginia.
>
> > So how come it happened in a country with an extremely high rate of
> > evolution-rejection, rather than in a country where people actually
> > believe "evolution only"?
>
> Because religious societies are also violent societies.

I reject this generalization. I'll give you two counterexamples.

Over a thousand years ago the Mongols of Tibet learned Buddhism. In the
space of a few generations they changed from being nomadic hunters and
conquerors to being farmers, merchants, and monks. For a thousand years
they lived (mostly) peacefully and without famine, and developed an
advanced philosophy that could teach us Westerners a lot. When they were
well-off they were nice to the peasants because they knew (believed)
that if they were mean to them, they'd get reincarnated as them the next
time around.

A self-described non-religious government (Red China) wiped out the
"oppressive theocracy" by killing thousands of monks and tearing down
their monasteries. They introduced pavement, rice, famine, genocide and
nuclear waste.

Religion does not necessarily cause war. (Say, did you read about the
bloody riot that the highly religious Society of Friends and the Shakers
jointly caused in the late 1800s? No, I thought not.)

> The more
> religion one has, the more violent one is. See, as one example,
> Gregory S. Paul's essay "Cross-National Correlations of
> Quantifiable Societal Health with Popular Religiosity and
> Secularism in the Prosperous Democracies."
>
> The more atheists a society has, the less violent it is.

I think it's not atheism by itself but a liberal outlook on life and
politics which has that outcome. I think the Unitarians count as "not
atheists", but they're not likely to start any wars.

You'll have to look elsewhere for your cause of violence. I think it's
something about the religion or philosophy that people follow, not
whether they have one.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
Level 1 Linux technical support: Read The Fscking Manual!

AC

Apr 26, 2007, 12:29:01 PM4/26/07
On 20 Apr 2007 09:33:51 -0700,
Psycho Dave <psy...@weirdcrap.com> wrote:
> That's rather ironic that he'd say that "belief in evolution" caused
> the VA Tech shooting. I've been reading and watching excerpts from the
> kid's video confession, and it appears that he's rather religious. He
> was a member of a Korean Evangelical church, and he ranted about how
> immoral people were, how women were whores, and how hedonism was
> destroying America. Then he went on to compare himself to Christ.

Yes, I think the facts speak very loudly that anyone who insists that
this fellow's meltdown was some product of teaching evolution is either
ignorant of said facts or is a liar. I'll actually give the loons making
this claim the benefit of the doubt and state I think they're just morons
who can't be bothered to even check up the facts of the case.

> He didn't say anything about evolution, but I'm assuming that since he
> was on a "moralistic crusade" to "cleanse the campus" (those are my
> words) of hedonistic whores and immorality, that he favored
> creationism.

I hesitate to draw that conclusion.

> Of course, we can't forget that his mental illness was made worse by
> his religious convictions.

I don't know if that's fair or not. It strikes me as the same sort
of logic that was used to sue Judas Priest because some kids committed
suicide while listening to it. Until we know a lot more about him,
I think we should hold off on blaming anything in particular.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@gmail.com

AC

Apr 26, 2007, 7:13:28 PM4/26/07
On 20 Apr 2007 15:46:25 -0700,

Good. I hope you volunteer to spend some one-on-one time with
Charles Manson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton) and
Charles Manson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson). I'm
sure you just need to make a commitment to them.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@gmail.com