Georgia: Rep. pushes origin of life bill

Jason Spaceman

Feb 3, 2005, 6:47:38 PM2/3/05
From the article:
---------------------------------
A local representative has introduced a bill in the State Legislature that would
require public school systems to teach both "factual scientific evidence
supporting ... evolutionary theory and factual scientific evidence not
supporting the theory."

District 10 House Rep. Ben Bridges, R-Cleveland, said Monday the bill (HB 179),
which he introduced last week, concerns teaching of the origin of life. "I
don't care what they teach as long as they have scientific evidence," Bridges
said. "They need to have facts to back up what they teach, not theories."

Bridges said a constituent asked him to introduce the measure. He introduced it
for the first time nine years ago, but the bill died. "It made sense to me,"
Bridges said. He said a friend of his who is a former college professor told
him that Darwin's theory of evolution cannot be supported with facts.
----------------------------------

Read it at
http://www.whitecountynewstelegraph.com/articles/2005/02/03/news/news02.txt or
http://tinyurl.com/5o3to

J. Spaceman

--
My email address (notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org) is fake. Email sent to it
will only get caught in my spam tarpit.

snex

Feb 3, 2005, 6:52:29 PM2/3/05

if only such a law could be enacted for schools like icr-grad and
patriot u! ah, but who decides what are facts?

catshark

Feb 3, 2005, 8:33:41 PM2/3/05
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:47:38 -0500, Jason Spaceman
<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:

>From the article:
>---------------------------------
>A local representative has introduced a bill in the State Legislature that would
>require public school systems to teach both "factual scientific evidence
>supporting ... evolutionary theory and factual scientific evidence not
>supporting the theory."
>
>District 10 House Rep. Ben Bridges, R-Cleveland, said Monday the bill (HB 179),
>which he introduced last week, concerns teaching of the origin of life. "I
>don't care what they teach as long as they have scientific evidence," Bridges
>said. "They need to have facts to back up what they teach, not theories."
>
>Bridges said a constituent asked him to introduce the measure. He introduced it
>for the first time nine years ago, but the bill died. "It made sense to me,"
>Bridges said. He said a friend of his who is a former college professor

Chemistry, no doubt.

>told
>him that Darwin's theory of evolution cannot be supported with facts.

If it makes it that far, that will make interesting reading in the
legislative history of the law:

"During debate on the bill, the honorable Representative stated that the
act to reform the science education of the children of the State of Georgia
was founded firmly on what somebody once told him a while back . . . "

--
---------------
J. Pieret

Speaking of stickers in textbooks:

Sticker in _Modern Optics_:

CAUTION! Dark ages in mirror
may be closer than they appear.

- Steve Mirsky -

TeaWrecks

Feb 4, 2005, 3:55:57 AM2/4/05

"Jason Spaceman" <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message

> "factual scientific evidence
> supporting ... evolutionary theory and factual scientific evidence not
> supporting the theory."

Hmm... Does that mean if I supply evidence that water boils at 212 deg F or
100 deg C at sea level, that that can be used as evidence AGAINST evolution?
Same go for "The sky is blue because of the diffraction of sunlight by
nitrogen in the atmosphere"? That doesn't support evolution either...
How 'bout, that scratch on my favorite music CD? It's there. It's a fact. It
has a testable, repeatable scientific cause. It doesn't support, so it must
disprove evolution. Hey tell ya what - I'll scratch ALL my CD's and
thoroughly debunk evolution!

Damn.

Now they won't play...

Bloody creationists.

Mitch...@aol.com

Feb 4, 2005, 12:15:51 PM2/4/05
"The sky is blue because of the diffraction of sunlight by
nitrogen in the atmosphere"?

The correct word is 'scatter' not diffraction

Mitch

Eric Root

Feb 5, 2005, 10:40:02 AM2/5/05

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> ---------------------------------
> A local representative has introduced a bill in the State Legislature that would
> require public school systems to teach both "factual scientific evidence
> supporting ... evolutionary theory and factual scientific evidence not
> supporting the theory."
>
> District 10 House Rep. Ben Bridges, R-Cleveland, said Monday the bill (HB 179),
> which he introduced last week, concerns teaching of the origin of life. "I
> don't care what they teach as long as they have scientific evidence," Bridges
> said. "They need to have facts to back up what they teach, not theories."
>
> Bridges said a constituent asked him to introduce the measure. He introduced it
> for the first time nine years ago, but the bill died. "It made sense to me,"
> Bridges said. He said a friend of his who is a former college professor told
> him that Darwin's theory of evolution cannot be supported with facts.

And it didn't occur to the "honorable' (cough, cough) Rep. Bridges to
ask why his friend is a _former_ college professor.