My book is out

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 2:47:26 AM8/7/09
Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
like to announce that

Species: A history of the idea

has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

You can order copies from here:

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php

The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:

"In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan
M�ller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Nor�n, Gordon McOuat,
Massimo Pigliucci, Tom Scharle, Kim Sterelny, Neil Thomason, Charissa
Varma, John Veron, Quentin Wheeler, David Williams, and Polly Winsor,
who all provided information, criticism, advice and assistance, some
considerable;

Members of the audiences at the 2000 Australasian Association for the
History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science Association conference
at the University of Sydney and the 2001 International Society for the
History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Biology conference in Hamden,
Connecticut, and the Systematics Forum at the Melbourne Museum, run by
Robin Wilson; Michael Devitt also forced me to reassess the nature of
essentialism at a later workshop, although without much success.

Polly Winsor, David Hull, Joel Cracraft, Norman Platnick and Ward
Wheeler graciously granted time for an interview, and Joel has been of
particular help with the phylogenetic conception. I must especially
thank the late Herb Wagner, John Veron, Mike Dunford, Tom Scharle, and
Scott Chase for technical information provided. Other acknowledgements
are made in the notes. I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
unjustly unthanked."

--
John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net

Michael Siemon

Aug 7, 2009, 2:58:23 AM8/7/09
In article <1j437sg.1ohyfyu1cofo96N%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,

jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

huzzah!

Kent Paul Dolan

Aug 7, 2009, 3:42:07 AM8/7/09
John S. Wilkins wrote:

> My book is out

You've forcibly decloseted your gay text?

Have you no shame?

xanthian.

Boikat

Aug 7, 2009, 7:16:03 AM8/7/09
On Aug 7, 1:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>
> You can order copies from here:
>
> http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php
>
> The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
>
> "In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
> Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
> John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
> Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan
> Müller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Norén, Gordon McOuat,

> Massimo Pigliucci, Tom Scharle, Kim Sterelny, Neil Thomason, Charissa
> Varma, John Veron, Quentin Wheeler, David Williams, and Polly Winsor,
> who all provided information, criticism, advice and assistance, some
> considerable;
>
> Members of the audiences at the 2000 Australasian Association for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science Association conference
> at the University of Sydney and the 2001 International Society for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Biology conference in Hamden,
> Connecticut, and the Systematics Forum at the Melbourne Museum, run by
> Robin Wilson; Michael Devitt also forced me to reassess the nature of
> essentialism at a later workshop, although without much success.
>
> Polly Winsor, David Hull, Joel Cracraft, Norman Platnick and Ward
> Wheeler graciously granted time for an interview, and Joel has been of
> particular help with the phylogenetic conception. I must especially
> thank the late Herb Wagner, John Veron, Mike Dunford, Tom Scharle, and
> Scott Chase for technical information provided. Other acknowledgements
> are made in the notes. I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
> unjustly unthanked."
>
> --
> John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.net

> But al be that he was a philosophre,
> Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

What? No stash of autographed books?

Boikat

wf3h

Aug 7, 2009, 7:42:37 AM8/7/09
On Aug 7, 2:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea

congrats, john...hope it's well received.

raven1

Aug 7, 2009, 8:45:39 AM8/7/09
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
Wilkins) wrote:

>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>like to announce that
>
>Species: A history of the idea
>
>has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

Congratulations, John! Maybe Ray's paper will be next...

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 8:56:05 AM8/7/09
raven1 <quotht...@nevermore.com> wrote:

I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...

Burkhard

Aug 7, 2009, 9:31:45 AM8/7/09
On Aug 7, 7:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>
> You can order copies from here:
>
> http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php
>
> The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
>
> "In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
> Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
> John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
> Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan
> Müller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Norén, Gordon McOuat,

> Massimo Pigliucci, Tom Scharle, Kim Sterelny, Neil Thomason, Charissa
> Varma, John Veron, Quentin Wheeler, David Williams, and Polly Winsor,
> who all provided information, criticism, advice and assistance, some
> considerable;
>
> Members of the audiences at the 2000 Australasian Association for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science Association conference
> at the University of Sydney and the 2001 International Society for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Biology conference in Hamden,
> Connecticut, and the Systematics Forum at the Melbourne Museum, run by
> Robin Wilson; Michael Devitt also forced me to reassess the nature of
> essentialism at a later workshop, although without much success.
>
> Polly Winsor, David Hull, Joel Cracraft, Norman Platnick and Ward
> Wheeler graciously granted time for an interview, and Joel has been of
> particular help with the phylogenetic conception. I must especially
> thank the late Herb Wagner, John Veron, Mike Dunford, Tom Scharle, and
> Scott Chase for technical information provided. Other acknowledgements
> are made in the notes. I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
> unjustly unthanked."
>
> --
> John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.net

> But al be that he was a philosophre,
> Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

and ordered for the library ;o)

I noticed it is the first one in a new series?

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 9:37:19 AM8/7/09
Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 7:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> > Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> > meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> > like to announce that
> >
> > Species: A history of the idea
> >
> > has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

> and ordered for the library ;o)
>
> I noticed it is the first one in a new series?

Yes. It's the first cab off the Species and Systematics series rank from
UCP. The second one has been announced -

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10392.php

Will in New Haven

Aug 7, 2009, 9:48:13 AM8/7/09
On Aug 7, 2:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

Congratulations. You wrote on a fascinating subject.

--
Will in New Haven
"To seek vengeance for someone killed in the normal course of war is

Matt Silberstein

Aug 7, 2009, 10:19:58 AM8/7/09
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in
<1j437sg.1ohyfyu1cofo96N%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>like to announce that
>
>Species: A history of the idea
>
>has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>
>You can order copies from here:
>
>http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php
>
>The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
>
>"In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
>Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
>John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
>Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan

>Müller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Norén, Gordon McOuat,

>Massimo Pigliucci, Tom Scharle, Kim Sterelny, Neil Thomason, Charissa
>Varma, John Veron, Quentin Wheeler, David Williams, and Polly Winsor,
>who all provided information, criticism, advice and assistance, some
>considerable;
>
>Members of the audiences at the 2000 Australasian Association for the
>History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science Association conference
>at the University of Sydney and the 2001 International Society for the
>History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Biology conference in Hamden,
>Connecticut, and the Systematics Forum at the Melbourne Museum, run by
>Robin Wilson; Michael Devitt also forced me to reassess the nature of
>essentialism at a later workshop, although without much success.
>
>Polly Winsor, David Hull, Joel Cracraft, Norman Platnick and Ward
>Wheeler graciously granted time for an interview, and Joel has been of
>particular help with the phylogenetic conception. I must especially
>thank the late Herb Wagner, John Veron, Mike Dunford, Tom Scharle, and
>Scott Chase for technical information provided. Other acknowledgements
>are made in the notes. I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
>unjustly unthanked."

OK, but are species real? <duck>

Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 11:13:16 AM8/7/09
Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
> jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in
> <1j437sg.1ohyfyu1cofo96N%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>
> >Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> >meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> >like to announce that
> >
> >Species: A history of the idea
> >
> >has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

> OK, but are species real? <duck>

Yes. The definitive paper is under review with Philosophy of Science.

> Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?

Wait until you host the author...

Paul J Gans

Aug 7, 2009, 11:51:13 AM8/7/09
John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>like to announce that

>Species: A history of the idea

>has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

>You can order copies from here:

>http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php

Great! Will do.

And I hope there will be more because I know there is more in you.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Paul J Gans

Aug 7, 2009, 11:49:42 AM8/7/09

We'll have to get him to New York (again).

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 7, 2009, 11:53:27 AM8/7/09
John S. Wilkins wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

Congratulations. May its beard grow long and its tribe grow numerous.

--Jeff

--
The comfort of the wealthy has always
depended upon an abundant supply of

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 12:08:38 PM8/7/09
Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:

> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
> >jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in
> ><1j437sg.1ohyfyu1cofo96N%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>
> >>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> >>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> >>like to announce that
> >>
> >>Species: A history of the idea
>

> >OK, but are species real? <duck>
>
> >Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?
>
> We'll have to get him to New York (again).

I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...

raven1

Aug 7, 2009, 12:27:39 PM8/7/09
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:08:38 +1000, jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
Wilkins) wrote:

>Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> >On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
>> >jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in

>> >OK, but are species real? <duck>
>>
>> >Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?
>>
>> We'll have to get him to New York (again).
>
>I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...

I'd love to join you for a beer or five!

Alan Morgan

Aug 7, 2009, 12:57:18 PM8/7/09
In article <1j437sg.1ohyfyu1cofo96N%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,

John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>like to announce that
>
>Species: A history of the idea

Hmmm, this book is based on ideas from other books, right? Descended,
you might say.

So why do we still see those other books around?

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 7, 2009, 1:11:03 PM8/7/09
On Aug 7, 2:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>
> You can order copies from here:
>
> http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php
>
> The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
>
> "In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
> Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
> John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
> Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan
> Müller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Norén, Gordon McOuat,

> Massimo Pigliucci, Tom Scharle, Kim Sterelny, Neil Thomason, Charissa
> Varma, John Veron, Quentin Wheeler, David Williams, and Polly Winsor,
> who all provided information, criticism, advice and assistance, some
> considerable;
>
> Members of the audiences at the 2000 Australasian Association for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science Association conference
> at the University of Sydney and the 2001 International Society for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Biology conference in Hamden,
> Connecticut, and the Systematics Forum at the Melbourne Museum, run by
> Robin Wilson; Michael Devitt also forced me to reassess the nature of
> essentialism at a later workshop, although without much success.
>
> Polly Winsor, David Hull, Joel Cracraft, Norman Platnick and Ward
> Wheeler graciously granted time for an interview, and Joel has been of
> particular help with the phylogenetic conception. I must especially
> thank the late Herb Wagner, John Veron, Mike Dunford, Tom Scharle, and
> Scott Chase for technical information provided. Other acknowledgements
> are made in the notes. I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
> unjustly unthanked."

Oh, great! After I just put in all that effort printing out the PDF
at my employer's expense. I've even read some of it! Does this mean
I have to start over? Sheeesh. And... and... it just cost me /fifty-
three/ f-in' dollars to order the f-in' thing! That's US$53, my
friend. Its a damn fine thing its publish by UC Berkeley, Chum, if it
were out on Stanford's imprint (if those rich punks even have one)
you'd be haunting a billabong as we speak. Harrrumpf!

Also: Wow.

Mitchell

Matt Silberstein

Aug 7, 2009, 3:28:47 PM8/7/09
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:08:38 +1000, in talk.origins ,

<1j43x97.vadvsekfls3tN%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

>Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> >On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
>> >jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in

>> >OK, but are species real? <duck>
>>
>> >Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?
>>
>> We'll have to get him to New York (again).
>
>I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...

Great. I didn't know this, but great.

Bob Casanova

Aug 7, 2009, 4:39:10 PM8/7/09
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, the following appeared in
talk.origins, posted by jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
Wilkins):

>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>like to announce that
>
>Species: A history of the idea
>
>has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

Excellent; congratulations!

>You can order copies from here:
>
>http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php

....or a Amazon, which also has your first (?) book:

Defining Species: A Sourcebook from Antiquity to Today

Both in my cart now.

>The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
>
>"In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
>Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
>John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
>Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan

>Müller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Norén, Gordon McOuat,

>Massimo Pigliucci, Tom Scharle, Kim Sterelny, Neil Thomason, Charissa
>Varma, John Veron, Quentin Wheeler, David Williams, and Polly Winsor,
>who all provided information, criticism, advice and assistance, some
>considerable;

Hey, I've criticized you (a bit, occasionally)! Where's *my*
name? ;-)

--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

Walter Bushell

Aug 7, 2009, 5:03:07 PM8/7/09
In article <1j43x97.vadvsekfls3tN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,

jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > >On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
> > >jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in

> > >OK, but are species real? <duck>
> >
> > >Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?
> >
> > We'll have to get him to New York (again).
>
> I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...

Has the Howerfest been scheduled?

Richard Harter

Aug 7, 2009, 6:33:02 PM8/7/09
wrote:

>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable

>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>like to announce that
>
>Species: A history of the idea
>
>has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

Excellent! Though I must admit to be confused. Why would a philosopher
who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.

Richard Harter, c...@tiac.net
http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
No one asks if a tree falls in the forest
if there is no one there to see it fall.

el cid

Aug 7, 2009, 7:41:51 PM8/7/09
On Aug 7, 6:33 pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins)

> wrote:
>
> >Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> >meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> >like to announce that
>
> >Species: A history of the idea
>
> >has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>
> Excellent!  Though I must admit to be confused.  Why would a philosopher
> who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.

This sounds like a tender question. I doubt he had the wherewithal
to write it on script, and yet obviously the means.

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 7, 2009, 4:31:39 PM8/7/09
John S. Wilkins wrote:

> Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> >On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
>> >jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in

>> >OK, but are species real? <duck>
>>
>> >Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?
>>
>> We'll have to get him to New York (again).
>
> I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...

Ever making it to sunny Florida? We did make Australia our southernmost Key.

--
*Hemidactylus*

-it ends here-

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 7, 2009, 4:32:41 PM8/7/09
Matt Silberstein wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:08:38 +1000, in talk.origins ,
> jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in
> <1j43x97.vadvsekfls3tN%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>
>>Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:

>>> We'll have to get him to New York (again).
>>
>>I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...
>
> Great. I didn't know this, but great.

He was planning to knock first I'm sure.

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 7, 2009, 4:37:52 PM8/7/09
John S. Wilkins wrote:

> raven1 <quotht...@nevermore.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
>> Wilkins) wrote:
>>
>> >Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>> >meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>> >like to announce that
>> >
>> >Species: A history of the idea
>> >
>> >has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>>
>> Congratulations, John! Maybe Ray's paper will be next...
>
> I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
> tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...

How did they get all the strands of used toilet tissue cleaned out of the
press before running your book...or will your readers get some rather
unpleasant surprises wedged between the signatures and the binding? Might
need to call for a reprint already.

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 7, 2009, 4:42:40 PM8/7/09
Boikat wrote:

My professor who published books on wildflowers always seemed to have a
stash of copies nearby. Being an author goes hand in hand with self-
promotion. If I published a book I'd buy an SUV and load it up with copies
regardless of the deleterious effect of guzzling all that gas and chopping
down all those trees for the pulp.

Paul J Gans

Aug 7, 2009, 9:41:26 PM8/7/09
John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:

>> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> >On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
>> >jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in

>> >OK, but are species real? <duck>
>>
>> >Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?
>>
>> We'll have to get him to New York (again).

>I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...

Well, sounds like we need to organize a Wilkinsfest...

Anyone interested?

Paul J Gans

Aug 7, 2009, 9:59:40 PM8/7/09

I'm taking names. Yours is on the list.

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 7, 2009, 7:15:18 PM8/7/09
Paul J Gans wrote:

New York is so far away and I've got my dog for whom to find a babysitter.
Oh, and if I don't get laid off this upcoming fiscal year there's that work
thingy.

Late October is a fitting date for a Howlerfest though. Will any resident
vampires, zombies, or other assorted ghouls be attending?

Unknown

Aug 7, 2009, 8:48:37 PM8/7/09
to m...@spacesst.com
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:42:40 +0000, *Hemidactylus*
<ecph...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Boikat wrote:
>
>> On Aug 7, 1:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
>>> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>>> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>>> like to announce that
>>>
>>> Species: A history of the idea
>>>
>>> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>>>
>>> You can order copies from here:
>>>
>>> http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php
>>>
>>> The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
>>>
>>> "In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
>>> Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
>>> John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
>>> Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan

>>> M�ller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Nor�n, Gordon McOuat,

---
read/post to usenet, Less spam on a foreum
Ecrit/lire des newsgroups avec moins ou pas de spam
http://sub-sys.com/f

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 11:29:07 PM8/7/09
Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off> wrote:

> Hey, I've criticized you (a bit, occasionally)! Where's *my*
> name? ;-)
>

> >I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
> >unjustly unthanked."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

John S. Wilkins

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 11:29:00 PM8/7/09
Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:08:38 +1000, in talk.origins ,
> jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in
> <1j43x97.vadvsekfls3tN%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>
> >Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com> wrote:

> >> We'll have to get him to New York (again).
> >
> >I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...
>
> Great. I didn't know this, but great.

I did ask...

John S. Wilkins

Aug 7, 2009, 11:29:03 PM8/7/09
Alan Morgan <amo...@xenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

In some cases because they have been preserved, like fossils, you might
say, in libraries and on archive.org. Other cases they have not remained
unchanged. Some are just books that share common ancestors. Don't make
the mistake of thinking this was a series or chain.

Richard Harter

Aug 7, 2009, 11:49:34 PM8/7/09
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:41:51 -0700 (PDT), el cid <elcid...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 7, 6:33=A0pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>> >meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>> >like to announce that
>>
>> >Species: A history of the idea
>>
>> >has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>>

>> Excellent! =A0Though I must admit to be confused. =A0Why would a philosop=

>her
>> who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.
>
>This sounds like a tender question. I doubt he had the wherewithal
>to write it on script, and yet obviously the means.

Are you saying he had the mettle but not the credit?

Richard Harter

Aug 7, 2009, 11:47:33 PM8/7/09
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:41:26 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com>
wrote:

Definitely interested. I can make no promises.

>--
> --- Paul J. Gans

Richard Harter, c...@tiac.net

el cid

Aug 8, 2009, 12:09:07 AM8/8/09
On Aug 7, 11:29 pm, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> el cid <elcidbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 7, 6:33 pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:

> > > Excellent!  Though I must admit to be confused.  Why would a philosopher
> > > who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.
>
> > This sounds like a tender question. I doubt he had the wherewithal
> > to write it on script, and yet obviously the means.
>
> It's just coincidence.

I'll make a note of it.

el cid

Aug 8, 2009, 12:31:13 AM8/8/09
On Aug 7, 11:49 pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:41:51 -0700 (PDT), el cid <elcidbi...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>

> >On Aug 7, 6:33=A0pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:

> >> Excellent! =A0Though I must admit to be confused. =A0Why would a philosop=
> >her
> >> who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.
>
> >This sounds like a tender question. I doubt he had the wherewithal
> >to write it on script, and yet obviously the means.
>
> Are you saying he had the mettle but not the credit?

Nothing of the sort. I think he's grand. Though while I hate to
buck the trend, I am recalling a Canadian who thought
some of the ideas were a bit loonie.

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 8, 2009, 1:03:18 AM8/8/09
On Aug 7, 11:47 pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:41:26 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <g...@panix.com>
> wrote:
>

> >John S. Wilkins <j...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

> >>I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...
>
> >Well, sounds like we need to organize a Wilkinsfest...
>
> >Anyone interested?
>
> Definitely interested.  I can make no promises.

You mean you can make no promises.

Mitchell Coffey

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 8, 2009, 1:18:20 AM8/8/09

Bah! This punfest is nothing new. I'm Fed up with the usual script.
I have no yen for this. Mark my word, let me be frank: I'll have my
pound of flesh. I'm no lira. I'll sweep the floor in time. I'll
have you for dinar! You'll be unbearably dolorous. I'll make you
pay, so let the rue-bell chime! Why, you're...Oh! I've got to go...

Mitchell

Richard Harter

Aug 8, 2009, 2:28:04 AM8/8/09
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 22:03:18 -0700 (PDT), Mitchell Coffey
<m.co...@starpower.net> wrote:

>On Aug 7, 11:47=A0pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:41:26 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <g...@panix.com>
>> wrote:

>ble

>ld

>> >Well, sounds like we need to organize a Wilkinsfest...
>>
>> >Anyone interested?
>>
>> Definitely interested. I can make no promises.
>
>You mean you can make no promises.

I meant what I meant. I may not not what that was but I definitely meant
it. See what I mean?

Richard Harter

Aug 8, 2009, 2:36:45 AM8/8/09
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 22:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Mitchell Coffey
<m.co...@starpower.net> wrote:

>On Aug 8, 12:31=A0am, el cid <elcidbi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Aug 7, 11:49=A0pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:

>ns)

>ble

>ld

> philosop=3D

>> > Are you saying he had the mettle but not the credit?
>>
>> Nothing of the sort. I think he's grand. Though while I hate to
>> buck the trend, I am recalling a Canadian who thought
>> some of the ideas were a bit loonie.
>
>Bah! This punfest is nothing new. I'm Fed up with the usual script.
>I have no yen for this. Mark my word, let me be frank: I'll have my
>pound of flesh. I'm no lira. I'll sweep the floor in time. I'll
>have you for dinar! You'll be unbearably dolorous. I'll make you
>pay, so let the rue-bell chime! Why, you're...Oh! I've got to go...

My, what a sterling talent you have. Who are you shilling for?

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 7, 2009, 10:38:56 PM8/7/09
Richard Harter wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins)
> wrote:
>
>>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>>like to announce that
>>
>>Species: A history of the idea
>>
>>has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>>

> Excellent! Though I must admit to be confused. Why would a philosopher
> who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.

Speaking of those writing books on economics, was Adam Smith really that
upset when you gave him that scathing review of _Wealth of Nations_? To be
fair you were never that harsh on David Hume's work.

Matt Silberstein

Aug 8, 2009, 2:42:15 AM8/8/09
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:29:00 +1000, in talk.origins ,

<1j44raq.1he5hos1sgevd8N%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

>Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:08:38 +1000, in talk.origins ,
>> jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in
>> <1j43x97.vadvsekfls3tN%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

>> >I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...
>>
>> Great. I didn't know this, but great.
>
>I did ask...

The offer is constant and the stay is desired. If I am too senile to
remember, I am. Let's chat off-line. But any time at pretty much any
notice.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"

John S. Wilkins

John S. Wilkins

Burkhard

Aug 8, 2009, 6:32:30 AM8/8/09

Euro ncle could do better than that

MAB

Aug 8, 2009, 10:30:34 AM8/8/09
On Aug 7, 2:47 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

Congrats John,

I tried to get my local public library to get a copy but they said it
looked to scholarly. Is it out of the reach of the common man? I'll
forward any comments to the library to try and get them to change
their mind.

Mark

John S. Wilkins

Aug 8, 2009, 10:58:54 AM8/8/09
MAB <marklynn...@gmail.com> wrote:

No, it's pretty scholarly. But your local university will undboutedbly
buy it if someone asks them to.

--
John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net
But al be that he was a philosophre,

Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

Dr.Gary Hurd

Aug 8, 2009, 11:50:42 AM8/8/09
On Aug 6, 11:47 pm, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> like to announce that
>
> Species: A history of the idea
>
> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>
> You can order copies from here:
>
> http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php
>
> The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
>
> "In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
> Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
> John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
> Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan
> Müller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Norén, Gordon McOuat,

> Massimo Pigliucci, Tom Scharle, Kim Sterelny, Neil Thomason, Charissa
> Varma, John Veron, Quentin Wheeler, David Williams, and Polly Winsor,
> who all provided information, criticism, advice and assistance, some
> considerable;
>
> Members of the audiences at the 2000 Australasian Association for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Science Association conference
> at the University of Sydney and the 2001 International Society for the
> History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Biology conference in Hamden,
> Connecticut, and the Systematics Forum at the Melbourne Museum, run by
> Robin Wilson; Michael Devitt also forced me to reassess the nature of
> essentialism at a later workshop, although without much success.
>
> Polly Winsor, David Hull, Joel Cracraft, Norman Platnick and Ward
> Wheeler graciously granted time for an interview, and Joel has been of
> particular help with the phylogenetic conception. I must especially
> thank the late Herb Wagner, John Veron, Mike Dunford, Tom Scharle, and
> Scott Chase for technical information provided. Other acknowledgements
> are made in the notes. I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
> unjustly unthanked."
>
> --
> John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.net

> But al be that he was a philosophre,
> Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

Congratulations, John.

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 3:47:05 PM8/8/09

Will your book be on the shelves at large bookstore chains like Barnes
& Nobles or Borders? Or do we have to buy it on-line?

Earlier you said that you had opted to make the book affordable,
giving up the option of making any money. The listed price of $49.95
seems to contradict, did you change your mind? (If so, there is
nothing wrong with that.)

Ray

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 3:50:57 PM8/8/09
On Aug 7, 5:56 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> raven1 <quoththera...@nevermore.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S.

> > Wilkins) wrote:
>
> > >Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> > >meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> > >like to announce that
>
> > >Species: A history of the idea
>
> > >has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>
> > Congratulations, John! Maybe Ray's paper will be next...
>
> I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
> tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...

> --
> John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.net
> But al be that he was a philosophre,
> Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

John: as a reminder my work will be published on-line so everyone can
have access to the refutation of evolution immediately.

Again: there is nothing wrong with publishing to make money. We know
that you spent a lot of time researching and writing. I hope you make
some money.

Ray

Reddfrogg

Aug 8, 2009, 3:54:52 PM8/8/09
On Aug 8, 1:50 pm, Ray Martinez <pyramid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 5:56 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
>

> > raven1 <quoththera...@nevermore.com> wrote:

> > > Congratulations, John! Maybe Ray's paper will be next...
>
> > I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
> > tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...
> > --
> > John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.net
> > But al be that he was a philosophre,
> > Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre
>
> John: as a reminder my work will be published on-line so everyone can
> have access to the refutation of evolution immediately.

Which simply means no publisher would touch Ray's crap.

> Again: there is nothing wrong with publishing to make money. We know
> that you spent a lot of time researching and writing. I hope you make
> some money.

At least he doesn't have to panhandle for it.......

DJT

Reddfrogg

Aug 8, 2009, 3:56:06 PM8/8/09

Planning a little shop lifting?

> Earlier you said that you had opted to make the book affordable,
> giving up the option of making any money. The listed price of $49.95
> seems to contradict, did you change your mind? (If so, there is
> nothing wrong with that.)

For an academic book, $50 is affordable...

DJT

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 4:06:11 PM8/8/09

I never buy anything online for obvious reasons.

> > Earlier you said that you had opted to make the book affordable,
> > giving up the option of making any money. The listed price of $49.95
> > seems to contradict, did you change your mind? (If so, there is
> > nothing wrong with that.)
>
> For an academic book, $50 is affordable...
>

> DJT- Hide quoted text -

Last time I checked, Gould's "Structure Of Evolutionary Theory" (1,000
plus pages, hardback, of course) was $34.95 at large chain stores. But
I agree: these prices are normal.

Ray

Reddfrogg

Aug 8, 2009, 4:12:31 PM8/8/09

Living at the rescue mission makes it hard for you to get
delivery.......

snip the rest.

DJT

Woland

Aug 8, 2009, 4:13:34 PM8/8/09

Bad credit?

Rich Mathers

Aug 8, 2009, 4:21:30 PM8/8/09
> Richard Harter, c...@tiac.nethttp://home.tiac.net/~cri,http://www.varinoma.com

> No one asks if a tree falls in the forest
> if there is no one there to see it fall.

'You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.'

Caranx latus

Aug 8, 2009, 5:15:25 PM8/8/09
Ray Martinez wrote:
> On Aug 8, 12:56 pm, Reddfrogg <reddfr...@bresnan.net> wrote:
>> On Aug 8, 1:47 pm, Ray Martinez <pyramid...@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>> Will your book be on the shelves at large bookstore chains like Barnes
>>> & Nobles or Borders? Or do we have to buy it on-line?
>> Planning a little shop lifting?
>>

> I never buy anything online for obvious reasons.

Don't know how?
Don't have a credit card?
Don't have a source of income?
Don't want to provide "them" with any information about your purchasing
habits?
All of the above?

<snip>

Free Lunch

Aug 8, 2009, 5:20:50 PM8/8/09
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 17:15:25 -0400, Caranx latus <kar...@sympatico.ca>
wrote in talk.origins:

He's just a fan of Buffalo Springfield:

"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your heart it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the Man comes, and take you away."

Bob Casanova

Aug 8, 2009, 5:26:15 PM8/8/09
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:29:07 +1000, the following appeared in
talk.origins, posted by jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
Wilkins):

>Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off> wrote:
>

>> Hey, I've criticized you (a bit, occasionally)! Where's *my*
>> name? ;-)

>> >I sincerely apologize to anyone I have left
>> >unjustly unthanked."

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[Somewhat mollified]

Well, OK...
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

Bob Casanova

Aug 8, 2009, 5:28:25 PM8/8/09
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:47:05 -0700 (PDT), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Ray Martinez
<pyram...@yahoo.com>:

Haven't bought many reference books, have you?

>, did you change your mind? (If so, there is
>nothing wrong with that.)
>
>Ray

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 5:43:40 PM8/8/09
> DJT- Hide quoted text -

It's nobodys fault but your own for accidentally outing yourself two
times; moving out of state for molesting patients in the back of your
ambulance, and stealing time and money from your bosses by posting
from work.

Ray

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 5:46:24 PM8/8/09

How about the most obvious reason: credit card fraud?

What planet have you been living on? Or are you an angry Darwinist
doing what angry Darwinists normally do?

Ray (Creationist)

Woland

Aug 8, 2009, 5:54:19 PM8/8/09
On Aug 8, 5:46 pm, Ray Martinez <pyramid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2:15 pm, Caranx latus <kar...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

> > Ray Martinez wrote:
>
> > <snip>

> > > I never buy anything online for obvious reasons.
>
> > Don't know how?
> > Don't have a credit card?
> > Don't have a source of income?
> > Don't want to provide "them" with any information about your purchasing
> > habits?
> > All of the above?
>
> > <snip>
>
> How about the most obvious reason: credit card fraud?

You know its pretty safe nowadays Right? Or did Barbie Bridges
convince you otherwise?

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 8, 2009, 2:04:15 PM8/8/09
Ray Martinez wrote:

Hopefully I can order it via my local B&N as I do most others I don't find
on the shelf.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Species/John-S-
Wilkins/e/9780520260856/?itm=2

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 8, 2009, 2:05:48 PM8/8/09
Bob Casanova wrote:

Or textbooks. Don't even get me started on that overpriced racket!

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 8, 2009, 2:11:53 PM8/8/09
Ray Martinez wrote:

Ray, the book looks like it will be available via Barnes and Noble's
website, which should mean you could go to your nearest B&N bookstore and
order it from them, paying cash if you prefer. That's what I plan on doing.

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 8, 2009, 2:13:39 PM8/8/09
Ray Martinez wrote:

> On Aug 7, 5:56 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
>> raven1 <quoththera...@nevermore.com> wrote:

>> > Congratulations, John! Maybe Ray's paper will be next...
>>
>> I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
>> tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...
>> --
>> John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of
>> Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.net But al be that he was a philosophre,
>> Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre
>
> John: as a reminder my work will be published on-line so everyone can
> have access to the refutation of evolution immediately.

How long should I hold my breath?

> Again: there is nothing wrong with publishing to make money. We know
> that you spent a lot of time researching and writing. I hope you make
> some money.

How nice of you. Have you stopped bashing him for his scholarship and hard
earned credentials?

Caranx latus

Aug 8, 2009, 6:20:14 PM8/8/09
Ray Martinez wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2:15 pm, Caranx latus <kar...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Ray Martinez wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> I never buy anything online for obvious reasons.
>> Don't know how?
>> Don't have a credit card?
>> Don't have a source of income?
>> Don't want to provide "them" with any information about your purchasing
>> habits?
>> All of the above?
>>
>> <snip>
>
> How about the most obvious reason: credit card fraud?

Are you rejecting the obvious reasons that I provided?

> What planet have you been living on?

I live on Earth. How about you? Oglaroon?

> Or are you an angry Darwinist
> doing what angry Darwinists normally do?

What is it that you think angry Darwinists do?

Richard Harter

Aug 8, 2009, 6:36:50 PM8/8/09
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 02:38:56 +0000, *Hemidactylus* <ecph...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Richard Harter wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins)

>> wrote:
>>
>>>Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>>>meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>>>like to announce that
>>>
>>>Species: A history of the idea
>>>
>>>has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
>>>

>> Excellent! Though I must admit to be confused. Why would a philosopher

>> who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.
>>

>Speaking of those writing books on economics, was Adam Smith really that
>upset when you gave him that scathing review of _Wealth of Nations_? To be
>fair you were never that harsh on David Hume's work.

Smith was quite upset. The truth is that he paid me to publish a favorable
review. When he objected, I told him that as it was, I had praised it much
higher than it deserved. For some trifling reason he took exception to
this. He wanted his money back. He was even more upset when I quoted
chapter and paragraph from his book and kept the money.

He took it well enough though. He told me afterwards that if I predeceased
him he would water my grave.

Richard Harter, c...@tiac.net
http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 6:55:09 PM8/8/09
On Aug 8, 11:13 am, *Hemidactylus* <ecpho...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ray Martinez wrote:

> >> I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
> >> tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...
> >> --
> >> John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of
> >> Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.netBut al be that he was a philosophre,

> >> Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre
>
> > John: as a reminder my work will be published on-line so everyone can
> > have access to the refutation of evolution immediately.
>
> How long should I hold my breath?
>
> > Again: there is nothing wrong with publishing to make money. We know
> > that you spent a lot of time researching and writing. I hope you make
> > some money.
>
> How nice of you. Have you stopped bashing him for his scholarship and hard
> earned credentials?
>
> --
> *Hemidactylus*
>
> -it ends here-- Hide quoted text -

I only dish out the same medicine that John Wilkins dishes out,
whether he actually participates or stands by silently while the
howler element does it. By this standard everything he says or writes
is an unsupported claim or assertion, he has no credentials, he is a
fraud. Since this post will appear on the Internet it is the only
evidence needed to establish each of the aforementioned facts. Again:
this is the standard of evidence that John Wilkins abides by so the
same must apply to him. We can thus say: John Wilkins is a fraud and
ignoramus. Everything he says or writes corresponds to both of the
preceding adjectives. Both adjectives refute any claim that John
Wilkins has a valid degree.

Ray

el cid

Aug 8, 2009, 7:00:58 PM8/8/09

If you are trying to make the creationists look good by
comparison, you're succeeding.

Sapient Fridge

Aug 8, 2009, 6:50:32 PM8/8/09
In message <1j43v9n.tzdz8l42b6bmN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>, John S. Wilkins
<jo...@wilkins.id.au> writes
>Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, in talk.origins ,
>> jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) in

>> <1j437sg.1ohyfyu1cofo96N%jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> >Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
>> >meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
>> >like to announce that
>> >
>> >Species: A history of the idea
>> >
>> >has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.

>> OK, but are species real? <duck>
>
>Yes. The definitive paper is under review with Philosophy of Science.

>> Seriously, how does one get an autographed copy?
>
>Wait until you host the author...

If you're ever in Cambridge, England then let me know if you want a
place to crash. I like signed books :-)

I see you're on Amazon already:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Species-History-Idea-Systematics/dp/0520260856

On a side note, I've just found out that I've turned up in a book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spam-Kings-High-Rolling-Hucksters-Enlargements/dp/0596007329

(yes, as Sapient Fridge - and I'm in the index :-)
--
sapient_...@spamsights.org ICQ #17887309 * Save the net *
Grok: http://spam.abuse.net http://www.cauce.org * nuke a spammer *

el cid

Aug 8, 2009, 7:15:05 PM8/8/09
On Aug 8, 6:36 pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 02:38:56 +0000, *Hemidactylus* <ecpho...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Richard Harter wrote:

> >> Excellent!  Though I must admit to be confused.  Why would a philosopher
> >> who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.
>
> >Speaking of those writing books on economics, was Adam Smith really that
> >upset when you gave him that scathing review of _Wealth of Nations_? To be
> >fair you were never that harsh on David Hume's work.
>
> Smith was quite upset.  The truth is that he paid me to publish a favorable
> review.  When he objected, I told him that as it was, I had praised it much
> higher than it deserved.  For some trifling reason he took exception to
> this.  He wanted his money back.  He was even more upset when I quoted
> chapter and paragraph from his book and kept the money.
>
> He took it well enough though.  He told me afterwards that if I predeceased
> him he would water my grave.

He fellow Scott and contemporary David wrote an earlier review, did
he not? Your review must have been published post-Humeously.

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 7:31:59 PM8/8/09
> comparison, you're succeeding.- Hide quoted text -

Dana has been caught stealing time and money from his bosses by
posting from his place of employment. I was the one who caught him. In
response Dana has proceeded to shoot and slander the messenger.

Ray

Caranx latus

Aug 8, 2009, 7:32:12 PM8/8/09
Sapient Fridge wrote:
> In message <1j43v9n.tzdz8l42b6bmN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>, John S. Wilkins
> <jo...@wilkins.id.au> writes
>> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

<snip>

The drawings on the cover... those aren't by <gasp/> Haeckel, are they?

el cid

Aug 8, 2009, 8:15:06 PM8/8/09

Lest you misunderstand, I'm not suggesting I've found any
socially redeeming qualities to your posting or presence,
except perhaps, as an illustrative negative example.
I just don't think the picture is framed well by childish
insults.

Ray Martinez

Aug 8, 2009, 8:21:37 PM8/8/09
> insults.- Hide quoted text -

Dana will not appreciate your motherly protection.

Ray

Chris

Aug 8, 2009, 8:24:44 PM8/8/09
On Aug 7, 9:59 pm, Paul J Gans <g...@panix.com> wrote:
> Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:
> >In article <1j43x97.vadvsekfls3tN%j...@wilkins.id.au>,

> > j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> >> I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...
> >Has the Howerfest been scheduled?
>
> I'm taking names.  Yours is on the list.
>
> --
>    --- Paul J. Gans

Sign me up.

Chris

John McKendry

Aug 8, 2009, 8:41:13 PM8/8/09

Perhaps, but we have good reason to believe that you are neither
an accurate judge nor an accurate reporter of what Dana thinks,
so I, for one, will wait to hear it from him. On the other hand,
we do have reason to believe that Dana has both the self-awareness
to recognize that he is acting childishly, and the self-respect
to realize that it doesn't reflect well on him. There is a good
chance that Dana will stop embarrassing himself. I am pretty
sure that nobody is going to say the same about you.

John

el cid

Aug 8, 2009, 9:27:32 PM8/8/09

> Dana will not appreciate your motherly protection.

I'm OK with that. If I start posting to talk.origins
looking for love, hopefully a large oak tree branch
will fall will crash through my roof while I sleep
and put me out of my misery. But I also don't seem
to see my net.nanny etiquette reproaches as motherly
though I expect they cause some to think thoughts
formed from the root of the word. I tire of the
role, as would Sisyphus, but may have a few needles
left in my pin cushion.

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 8, 2009, 5:32:30 PM8/8/09
Ray Martinez wrote:

Just for kicks Wilkins should have this printed on the dust cover as a
review from a "critic".

John S. Wilkins

Aug 8, 2009, 9:35:19 PM8/8/09
Caranx latus <kar...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Sapient Fridge wrote:
> > In message <1j43v9n.tzdz8l42b6bmN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>, John S. Wilkins
> > <jo...@wilkins.id.au> writes
> >> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPref...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I see you're on Amazon already:
> >
> > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Species-History-Idea-Systematics/dp/0520260856
>
> The drawings on the cover... those aren't by <gasp/> Haeckel, are they?

Yes they are... the guy was a genius.

> > On a side note, I've just found out that I've turned up in a book:
> >
> > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spam-Kings-High-Rolling-Hucksters-Enlargements/d
> > p/0596007329
> >

> > (yes, as Sapient Fridge - and I'm in the index :-)

Fame at last!

John S. Wilkins

Aug 8, 2009, 9:35:21 PM8/8/09
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ray Martinez wrote:
>
> > On Aug 6, 11:47 pm, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
> >> Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> >> meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> >> like to announce that
> >>
> >> Species: A history of the idea
> >>
> >> has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
> >>
> >> You can order copies from here:
> >>
> >> http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/11391.php
> >>
> >> The Acknowledgments list a number of familiar names:
> >>
> >> "In alphabetical order, Noelie Alito, Mike Dunford, Malte Ebach, Greg
> >> Edgcombe, Dan Faith, Michael Ghiselin, Paul Griffiths, Colin Groves,
> >> John Harshman, Jody Hey, Jon Hodge, David Hull, Jon Kaplan, Mike S.-Y.
> >> Lee, Murray Littlejohn, Brent Mishler, Larry Moran, Staffan

> >> M�ller-Wille, Ian Musgrave, Gary Nelson, Mike Nor�n, Gordon McOuat,

That price *is* the reduced price. These things can often cost up to
$US80 or more.

John S. Wilkins

Aug 8, 2009, 9:58:11 PM8/8/09
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Alas, it came too late.

Paul J Gans

Aug 8, 2009, 9:57:54 PM8/8/09
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:

>> Walter Bushell <pr...@panix.com> wrote:

>>>Has the Howerfest been scheduled?
>>
>> I'm taking names. Yours is on the list.
>>

>New York is so far away and I've got my dog for whom to find a babysitter.
>Oh, and if I don't get laid off this upcoming fiscal year there's that work
>thingy.

>Late October is a fitting date for a Howlerfest though. Will any resident
>vampires, zombies, or other assorted ghouls be attending?

I dunno. If they need darkness, New York at night is not the
best place for them...

Paul J Gans

Aug 8, 2009, 10:00:17 PM8/8/09
Richard Harter <c...@tiac.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:41:26 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <ga...@panix.com>
>wrote:

>>John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

>>>I'll be there in late October, staying at Matt and Cathy's, so yes...
>>

>>Well, sounds like we need to organize a Wilkinsfest...
>>
>>Anyone interested?

>Definitely interested. I can make no promises.

You have been added to the preliminary list.

Walter Bushell

Aug 8, 2009, 10:02:56 PM8/8/09
In article <4a7dfcbd....@text.giganews.com>,
c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 02:38:56 +0000, *Hemidactylus* <ecph...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Richard Harter wrote:

> >> Excellent! Though I must admit to be confused. Why would a philosopher
> >> who notoriously has but litel gold in cofre write a book on money.
> >>
> >Speaking of those writing books on economics, was Adam Smith really that
> >upset when you gave him that scathing review of _Wealth of Nations_? To be
> >fair you were never that harsh on David Hume's work.
>
> Smith was quite upset. The truth is that he paid me to publish a favorable
> review. When he objected, I told him that as it was, I had praised it much
> higher than it deserved. For some trifling reason he took exception to
> this. He wanted his money back. He was even more upset when I quoted
> chapter and paragraph from his book and kept the money.
>
> He took it well enough though. He told me afterwards that if I predeceased
> him he would water my grave.

Authors who are really upset will offer to fertilize the grave too.

Ernest Major

Aug 8, 2009, 10:20:08 PM8/8/09
In message
<0769800e-d4ba-4524...@l35g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, Ray
Martinez <pyram...@yahoo.com> writes
What was that you were saying about ad-hominem betokening an inability
to refute?
--
alias Ernest Major

raven1

Aug 8, 2009, 11:16:02 PM8/8/09

OK, I take back what I said before about you being magnanimous. You're
a real dick.

raven1

Aug 8, 2009, 11:14:33 PM8/8/09
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:50:57 -0700 (PDT), Ray Martinez
<pyram...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Aug 7, 5:56 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:
>> raven1 <quoththera...@nevermore.com> wrote:

>> > Congratulations, John! Maybe Ray's paper will be next...
>>
>> I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
>> tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...
>> --
>> John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydneyhttp://evolvingthoughts.net
>> But al be that he was a philosophre,
>> Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre
>
>John: as a reminder my work will be published on-line so everyone can
>have access to the refutation of evolution immediately.

I won't hold my breath. IMO, the likelihood of you ever publishing
your paper is roughly the same as my chances of playing Center for the
New York Knicks. Come on, Ray, either publish it already, or stop
talking about it. You've had more than sufficient time to prepare it,
yet we haven't even seen an abstract

>Again: there is nothing wrong with publishing to make money. We know
>that you spent a lot of time researching and writing. I hope you make
>some money.

All sarcasm aside, that's very magnanimous of you. I hope so too.

raven1

Aug 8, 2009, 11:17:13 PM8/8/09

And me as well.

raven1

Aug 8, 2009, 11:18:52 PM8/8/09
<m.co...@starpower.net> wrote:

>On Aug 8, 12:31 am, el cid <elcidbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 11:49 pm, c...@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:

>> > Are you saying he had the mettle but not the credit?
>>
>> Nothing of the sort. I think he's grand. Though while I hate to
>> buck the trend, I am recalling a Canadian who thought
>> some of the ideas were a bit loonie.
>
>Bah! This punfest is nothing new. I'm Fed up with the usual script.
>I have no yen for this. Mark my word, let me be frank: I'll have my
>pound of flesh. I'm no lira. I'll sweep the floor in time. I'll
>have you for dinar! You'll be unbearably dolorous. I'll make you
>pay, so let the rue-bell chime! Why, you're...Oh! I've got to go...

I think we've pounded this one into the ground.

John S. Wilkins

Aug 8, 2009, 11:30:01 PM8/8/09
raven1 <quotht...@nevermore.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 22:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Mitchell Coffey
> <m.co...@starpower.net> wrote:

> >> Nothing of the sort. I think he's grand. Though while I hate to
> >> buck the trend, I am recalling a Canadian who thought
> >> some of the ideas were a bit loonie.
> >
> >Bah! This punfest is nothing new. I'm Fed up with the usual script.
> >I have no yen for this. Mark my word, let me be frank: I'll have my
> >pound of flesh. I'm no lira. I'll sweep the floor in time. I'll
> >have you for dinar! You'll be unbearably dolorous. I'll make you
> >pay, so let the rue-bell chime! Why, you're...Oh! I've got to go...
>
> I think we've pounded this one into the ground.

Sterling observation. Let's bring it to a drachmatic end.

--
John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net
But al be that he was a philosophre,

Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

John S. Wilkins

Aug 8, 2009, 11:29:57 PM8/8/09
raven1 <quotht...@nevermore.com> wrote:

Me too.

Earle Jones

Aug 8, 2009, 11:55:00 PM8/8/09
In article <1j43ovh.eez2b91i95m16N%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,
jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> raven1 <quotht...@nevermore.com> wrote:

> > On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:47:26 +1000, jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
> > Wilkins) wrote:
> >
> > >Since so many people in this group have either endured my interminable
> > >meanderings about its subject matter, or have in fact helped, I would
> > >like to announce that
> > >
> > >Species: A history of the idea
> > >

> > >has now been released. I have Copy Number One in my hand right now.
> >

> > Congratulations, John! Maybe Ray's paper will be next...
>
> I was worried the printers wouldn't be able to do mine because they were
> tied up with Ray's paper. I was lucky to scrape in...

*
The one thing that your book has in common with Ray's 'paper' is that
they both come from "Down Under".

earle
*

el cid

Aug 8, 2009, 11:54:04 PM8/8/09
On Aug 8, 11:30 pm, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

Let's be real. It will end in ruble, and not till kwanza.

It is loading more messages.