Petrified forest discovered

R. Baldwin

Apr 23, 2007, 9:56:02 AM4/23/07
NPR announced today that a petrified forest has been found on private
property near Yakima. Apparently the trees were standing when buried by a
lava flow. Has anyone seen an article about this?

Lorentz

Apr 23, 2007, 11:52:19 AM4/23/07
On Apr 23, 9:56 am, "R. Baldwin" <res0k...@nozirevBACKWARDS.net>
wrote:

> NPR announced today that a petrified forest has been found on private
> property near Yakima. Apparently the trees were standing when buried by a
> lava flow. Has anyone seen an article about this?

Wouldn't they more likely be buried by ash? Or buried by ash, which
was then covered with lava? I didn't think that lava directly applied
left very much.

edwar...@verizon.net

Apr 23, 2007, 12:26:39 PM4/23/07
wrote:
> NPR announced today that a petrified forest has been found on private
> property near Yakima. Apparently the trees were standing when buried by a
> lava flow. Has anyone seen an article about this?
And here's an article about an entire buried fossil forest in Illinois

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070423/sc_livescience/ancientrainforestrevealedincoalmine

"...The largest ever found, the fossil forest covers an area of about
40 square miles, or nearly the size of San Francisco. This ancient
assemblage of flora is thought to be one of the first rainforests on
Earth, emerging during the Upper Carboniferous, or Pennsylvanian, time
period that extended from about 310 million to 290 million years ago.

A reconstruction of the ancient forest showed that like today's
rainforests, it had a layered structure with a mix of plants now
extinct: Abundant club mosses stood more than 130-feet high, towering
over a sub-canopy of tree ferns and an assortment of shrubs and tree-
sized horsetails that looked like giant asparagus.

Flash freeze

The scientists think a major earthquake about 300 million years ago
caused the region to drop below sea level where it was buried in mud.
They estimate that within a period of months the forest was buried,
preserving it "forever." ...

mel turner

Apr 23, 2007, 12:53:48 PM4/23/07
"R. Baldwin" <res0...@nozirevBACKWARDS.net> wrote in message

> NPR announced today that a petrified forest has been found on private
> property near Yakima. Apparently the trees were standing when buried by a
> lava flow. Has anyone seen an article about this?

No, but a Google News search finds several:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=%22petrified+trees%22&filter=0

Thanks for the info!
cheers

Pip R. Lagenta

Apr 23, 2007, 12:51:56 PM4/23/07

<http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/288706047568323>

--
內躬偕爻,虜,齯滌`偕爻,虜,齯滌`偕爻,虜,齯滌`偕爻,虜,齯滌`偕爻,
Pip R. Lagenta Pip R. Lagenta Pip R. Lagenta Pip R. Lagenta

-- Pip R. Lagenta
President for Life
International Organization Of People Named Pip R. Lagenta
(If your name is Pip R. Lagenta, ask about our dues!)
<http://home.comcast.net/~galentripp/pip.html>
(For Email: I'm at home, not work.)

Paul Ciszek

Apr 23, 2007, 7:03:53 PM4/23/07

In article <1177345599.4...@b58g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

<edwar...@verizon.net> wrote:

>http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070423/sc_livescience/ancientrainforestrevealedincoalmine
>
>"...The largest ever found, the fossil forest covers an area of about
>40 square miles, or nearly the size of San Francisco. This ancient
>assemblage of flora is thought to be one of the first rainforests on
>Earth, emerging during the Upper Carboniferous, or Pennsylvanian, time
>period that extended from about 310 million to 290 million years ago.
>
>A reconstruction of the ancient forest showed that like today's
>rainforests, it had a layered structure with a mix of plants now
>extinct: Abundant club mosses stood more than 130-feet high, towering

!!!

Did these club mosses develop something like heartwood?

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

Frank J

Apr 23, 2007, 7:13:16 PM4/23/07
wrote:
> NPR announced today that a petrified forest has been found on private
> property near Yakima. Apparently the trees were standing when buried by a
> lava flow. Has anyone seen an article about this?

Just a brief news story. I await the analysis by scientists. And of
course by Ed Conrad.

edwar...@verizon.net

Apr 23, 2007, 7:32:38 PM4/23/07

Funny--I was just thinking about Ed for the first time in several
years. There was a recent post here on determining whether birds were
warm or cold blooded by examining the structure of their haversian
canals. Ed gave me a whole new perspective on the coal in my furnace--
it might be a relative!

Harry K

Apr 23, 2007, 11:14:54 PM4/23/07
On Apr 23, 6:56 am, "R. Baldwin" <res0k...@nozirevBACKWARDS.net>
wrote:

> NPR announced today that a petrified forest has been found on private
> property near Yakima. Apparently the trees were standing when buried by a
> lava flow. Has anyone seen an article about this?

Yes. It was in my daily newspaper Spokesmanreview, Spokane WA
yesterday (4-22-07) Might have been Saturday's. Per that article the
land owner had been searching for it over a period of years. Article
reads as if he knew it existed but didn't explain how he knew.

Harry K

Nic

Apr 23, 2007, 11:54:19 PM4/23/07
On 24 Apr, 00:03, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> In article <1177345599.479745.256...@b58g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>
> <edward_...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070423/sc_livescience/ancientra...

> >"...The largest ever found, the fossil forest covers an area of about
> >40 square miles, or nearly the size of San Francisco. This ancient
> >assemblage of flora is thought to be one of the first rainforests on
> >Earth, emerging during the Upper Carboniferous, or Pennsylvanian, time
> >period that extended from about 310 million to 290 million years ago.
>
> >A reconstruction of the ancient forest showed that like today's
> >rainforests, it had a layered structure with a mix of plants now
> >extinct: Abundant club mosses stood more than 130-feet high, towering
>
> !!!
>
> Did these club mosses develop something like heartwood?

Well trumped.

JTEM

Apr 24, 2007, 2:10:59 AM4/24/07
"R. Baldwin" <res0k...@nozirevBACKWARDS.net> wrote:

Two stories, apparently about two different forests.

The one you're talking about at 15 million years old:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/12769514/detail.html

and this was estimated at about 300 million years old:

http://tinyurl.com/2bt2bl

Klaus

Apr 24, 2007, 8:00:51 AM4/24/07

You need a diamond blade to cut it.
Klaus

Robert Carnegie

Apr 24, 2007, 9:13:41 AM4/24/07

They took all the trees, and put 'em in a tree museum...

eerok

Apr 24, 2007, 5:32:58 PM4/24/07

And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see em

--
"The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
- George Bernard Shaw

Perplexed in Peoria

Apr 24, 2007, 6:43:55 PM4/24/07

"eerok" <ee...@addr.invalid> wrote in message news:597bc9F...@mid.individual.net...

> Robert Carnegie wrote:

> >> Two stories, apparently about two different forests.
> >>
> >> The one you're talking about at 15 million years old:
> >>
> >> http://www.kirotv.com/news/12769514/detail.html
> >>
> >> and this was estimated at about 300 million years old:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/2bt2bl
>

> > They took all the trees, and put 'em in a tree museum...
>

> And they charged the people
> A dollar and a half just to see em

Yeah, but I'm glad I wasn't in the neighborhood when they paved the parking lot!

Shane

Apr 24, 2007, 9:53:11 PM4/24/07

Taxi !

Paul Ciszek

Apr 25, 2007, 1:30:14 AM4/25/07

In article <1177386859.2...@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

Nic <harris...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 24 Apr, 00:03, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
>> In article <1177345599.479745.256...@b58g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> <edward_...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070423/sc_livescience/ancientra...
>>
>> >"...The largest ever found, the fossil forest covers an area of about
>> >40 square miles, or nearly the size of San Francisco. This ancient
>> >assemblage of flora is thought to be one of the first rainforests on
>> >Earth, emerging during the Upper Carboniferous, or Pennsylvanian, time
>> >period that extended from about 310 million to 290 million years ago.
>>
>> >A reconstruction of the ancient forest showed that like today's
>> >rainforests, it had a layered structure with a mix of plants now
>> >extinct: Abundant club mosses stood more than 130-feet high, towering
>>
>> !!!
>>
>> Did these club mosses develop something like heartwood?
>
>Well trumped.

Seriously, what sort of support structure allowed them to grow that
tall?