In the News: The universe has a designer, speakers say

Jason Spaceman

Apr 21, 2007, 2:59:28 AM4/21/07
From the article:
Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin

DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
Methodist University in Dallas.

Once an avowed atheist and journalist who investigated the evidence
for Christianity and creation prior to his conversion, Strobel said
all materialistic theories have failed to explain the origin of life
or how any part of the universe became habitable.

"The universe is fine-tuned on a razor's edge in a way that defies
chance. It is better explained by the existence of a Creator," Strobel
said. "It seems logical and rational that, if there is a God, that He
would leave evidence behind for us to find Him."

Strobel was joined by noted scientists Stephen Meyer, Jay Richards and
Michael Behe for the "Darwin vs. Design" presentation of the Center
for Science & Culture at the Discovery Institute, a Seattle-based
group of researchers exploring the worldview implications of science.
The Christian Legal Society at SMU's Dedman Law School sponsored the
April 13-14 sessions.

Not everyone, however, welcomed the scientists proposing Intelligent
Design. At least three SMU professors lodged protests against the
conference, which they claimed would promote a "mystical world view"
lacking scientific credibility.

Seven students also protested inside the conference, holding up signs
with questions related to Darwinian evolution. SMU police escorted two
students out of the conference after the students attempted to move
closer to the stage where Strobel, Meyer, Richards and Behe were
speaking to an audience of more than 1,500.

Read it at http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/BPnews.asp?ID=25462

J. Spaceman

SJAB1958

Apr 21, 2007, 3:12:31 AM4/21/07
On 21 Apr, 07:59, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:
> From the article:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-------------
> Read it athttp://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/BPnews.asp?ID=25462
>
> J. Spaceman

Strobel, Meyer, Richards and Behe are all well known IDiots and their
conjecture about a designer and this designer allegedly being the
Biblical/Christian God is only a religious belief and can never be
declared as a scientific theory.

snex

Apr 21, 2007, 3:41:27 AM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 1:59 am, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:

there is no evidence that lee strobel was ever an atheist. it is just
another lie he tells to make his position look stronger. (look guys i
was once on their side but when i examined the evidence i found i was
wrong!)

what a crock of horseshit. he claims to believe the bible and yet
disobeys its commands to not bear false witness.

Rolf

Apr 21, 2007, 5:51:16 AM4/21/07

"SJAB1958" <bal...@hotmail.com> skrev i melding

> On 21 Apr, 07:59, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
> > From the article:

-­-------------
> > Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin
> >
> > DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> > whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> > God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> > during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> > Methodist University in Dallas.
> >
> > Once an avowed atheist and journalist who investigated the evidence
> > for Christianity and creation prior to his conversion, Strobel said
> > all materialistic theories have failed to explain the origin of life
> > or how any part of the universe became habitable.

If by "any part of the universe" the author is referring to our solar system
and planet Earth, I believe James Lovelock have made a sound argument for
how and why this planet became habitable. Basically, we are living on a
planet made habitable for 'advanced' life forms because the early life forms
contributed to modifying the environment, creating a suitable biosphere.

In essence something like a bootstrap operation. Without biological life,
our planet would not have a breathable oxygen atmosphere. And the overall
global climate also is a result of the interaction between life and it's
environment.

I don't believe Strobel knows what he is writing about. Especially about
'materialistic theories' to explain the origin of life. As far as I can
tell, science have not attempted to explain - in every detail - the origin
of life. Instead, science have shown how it thinsk life could have evolved,
and science knows no reason why it could not, even if not every detail of
the process is known.
Leave alone knowable, we are dealing with invisible, non-detectable events
between 3 and 10 billion years ago

We may however with certinty declare that we do not know that any
supernatural forces did it. Supernature, including Yahweh and similar gods
per definition is non-detectable and will forever remain so.

> > "The universe is fine-tuned on a razor's edge in a way that defies
> > chance. It is better explained by the existence of a Creator," Strobel
> > said. "It seems logical and rational that, if there is a God, that He
> > would leave evidence behind for us to find Him."

And his evidence is: absence of evidence.

Alexander

Apr 21, 2007, 6:46:01 AM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 7:59 am, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
wrote:

Well ok - let's for a crazy moment just assume that ID is true - there
_is_ evidence for design and that at some point we were definitely
'designed'. What can the science of ID tell us next?

Who the designer is?

Er ... no - apparently the identity of the designer is not discernible

The nature of the designer?

Um ... no again as there is no way of deciding how to test for the
nature of an unknown and indiscernible designer.

How the designer designed?

Er ... sorry ... another blank. It does look remarkably like
naturalistic evolution but we'll gloss over that and move on.

When the designer designed?

Um ... might have been ... you know ... about the same time as ...
um ... other stuff got made ... kinda.

Can ID tell us anything other than 'we were designed by some unknown
designer at an unknown point in time by methods that are not known to
us'?

Er ... no .... it can't.

Well that's going to be a short lesson plan anyway.

Jeffrey Turner

Apr 21, 2007, 7:37:40 AM4/21/07
Jason Spaceman wrote:

> From the article:
> Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin
>
> DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> Methodist University in Dallas.

Surprise. What an amazing coincidence. A true revelation. I am
convinced. Was the process "hocus pocus" or "alla kazaam"?

> Once an avowed atheist and journalist who investigated the evidence
> for Christianity and creation prior to his conversion, Strobel said
> all materialistic theories have failed to explain the origin of life
> or how any part of the universe became habitable.

Which proves it was "presto change-o."

> "The universe is fine-tuned on a razor's edge in a way that defies
> chance. It is better explained by the existence of a Creator," Strobel
> said. "It seems logical and rational that, if there is a God, that He
> would leave evidence behind for us to find Him."

Hallelujah. Do you have a bone, or just a fingerprint? Scat?

> Strobel was joined by noted scientists Stephen Meyer, Jay Richards and
> Michael Behe for the "Darwin vs. Design" presentation of the Center
> for Science & Culture at the Discovery Institute, a Seattle-based
> group of researchers exploring the worldview implications of science.
> The Christian Legal Society at SMU's Dedman Law School sponsored the
> April 13-14 sessions.

The Christian Legal Society is a scientific organization?

> Not everyone, however, welcomed the scientists proposing Intelligent
> Design. At least three SMU professors lodged protests against the
> conference, which they claimed would promote a "mystical world view"
> lacking scientific credibility.

Cads and spoilsports.

> Seven students also protested inside the conference, holding up signs
> with questions related to Darwinian evolution. SMU police escorted two
> students out of the conference after the students attempted to move
> closer to the stage where Strobel, Meyer, Richards and Behe were
> speaking to an audience of more than 1,500.
>
> Read it at http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/BPnews.asp?ID=25462

An audience of 1,000? I hope the take was good.

--Jeff

--
We can have democracy or we can have
great wealth concentrated in the hands

Rolf

Apr 21, 2007, 9:25:38 AM4/21/07

--------------
> Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin
>
> DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right,

i.e. the way Behe or Dembski says it should be done

Ron O

Apr 21, 2007, 9:39:51 AM4/21/07
wrote:

> From the article:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-------------
> Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin
>
> DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> Methodist University in Dallas.
>
> Once an avowed atheist and journalist who investigated the evidence
> for Christianity and creation prior to his conversion, Strobel said
> all materialistic theories have failed to explain the origin of life
> or how any part of the universe became habitable.

Another avowed atheist that switched for evidence that even the ID
scam artists are calling "premature." You have to wonder about guys
like this. Aren't these the guys that have been lying about having
something to teach about intelligent design for over a decade? I
wonder what would keep them from lying about being a former atheist?

SNIP:

Ron Okimoto

Cheezits

Apr 21, 2007, 10:23:19 AM4/21/07
Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> quoted:

> DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> Methodist University in Dallas.
[etc.]

<ROFL> "Just happen", gee, what a coincidence! I guarantee that to these
clowns "science done right" means "first, accept that the Bible is
Absolute Truth". In other words, if you start by believing in the God of
the Bible, then all scientific evidence "points to", surprise, the God of
the Bible. And that proves the universe has a designer.

Sue
--
"It's not smart or correct, but it's one of the things that
make us what we are." - Red Green

Grandbank

Apr 21, 2007, 10:24:17 AM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 4:37 am, Jeffrey Turner <jtur...@localnet.com> wrote:

(snip)

> Hallelujah. Do you have a bone, or just a fingerprint? Scat?

Scat? The DI, of course!

KP

CreateThis

Apr 21, 2007, 11:38:59 AM4/21/07
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 02:59:28 -0400, Jason Spaceman
<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:

>... "It seems logical and rational that, if there is a God, that He

>would leave evidence behind for us to find Him."

If it's "logical and rational" that He wants us to find Him, why the
fuck doesn't He just introduce Himself? What's the logical rationale
for all the games?

"It seems logical and rational" to me that these people are all
dimwits.

CT

Frank J

Apr 21, 2007, 12:49:56 PM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 9:39 am, Ron O <rokim...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 1:59 am, Jason Spaceman <notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
> > From the article:
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------限-------------

> > Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin
>
> > DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> > whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> > God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> > during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> > Methodist University in Dallas.
>
> > Once an avowed atheist and journalist who investigated the evidence
> > for Christianity and creation prior to his conversion, Strobel said
> > all materialistic theories have failed to explain the origin of life
> > or how any part of the universe became habitable.
>
> Another avowed atheist that switched for evidence that even the ID
> scam artists are calling "premature." You have to wonder about guys
> like this. Aren't these the guys that have been lying about having
> something to teach about intelligent design for over a decade? I
> wonder what would keep them from lying about being a former atheist?
>
> SNIP:
>
> Ron Okimoto

This is yet another thing that drives me nuts. I constantly hear
"they're just fundies", but almost no one ever suggests, even half
seriously, that these scam artists might *still be atheists.* Ignoring
for the moment that atheists tend to lie less, if anything, than
theists (& I say that as a theist!), atheists do not think that they
will be punished after death, so why not lie, pretend to be a theist,
and get a kick out of peddling the stuff that most people eat up?

Lexington Victoria-Rice

Apr 21, 2007, 1:25:55 PM4/21/07
Except you forgot one Q & A:

What is the scientific evidence that you *do* have?

We don't like evolution because (1)it comes from a naturalistic
philosophy (2) bombardier beetles couldn't have evolved,
(3)bloodclotting couldn't have evolved (4) bacterial flagella are
completely new "mousetrap" structures that couldn't have evolved and (5)
Hitler believed in eugenics.

--
"Fundamentalists can kiss my left behind."

Some bumper sticker or t-shirt.

Lexington Victoria-Rice

Apr 21, 2007, 1:29:52 PM4/21/07
Cheezits wrote:
> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> quoted:
>> DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
>> whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
>> God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
>> during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
>> Methodist University in Dallas.
> [etc.]
>
> <ROFL> "Just happen", gee, what a coincidence! I guarantee that to these
> clowns "science done right" means "first, accept that the Bible is
> Absolute Truth". In other words, if you start by believing in the God of
> the Bible, then all scientific evidence "points to", surprise, the God of
> the Bible. And that proves the universe has a designer.
>
> Sue

Well, of course, by dismissing any evidence that doesn't fit with the
Bible for being faulty, then you are left with nothing but bible
science. From there it is just a matter of applying Holmes: "Once you
have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how
improbable, must be the answer."

Ergo, God.

Message has been deleted

loua...@yahoo.com

Apr 21, 2007, 2:10:36 PM4/21/07
wrote:

> From the article:
> Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin
>
> DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> Methodist University in Dallas.

In other news: the Tobacco Institute issued a strongly worded
statement today condemning the American Cancer Society as "a bunch of
weenies who are just out to ruin one of the products that made America
great. With their godless liberal biases which completely invalidate
all their research. What a rotten bunch of people."

> Read it athttp://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/BPnews.asp?ID=25462

Desertphile

Apr 21, 2007, 5:17:38 PM4/21/07

The "former atheist who became a theist after looking at the
evidence" pretense is also blasphemy: it is used to deny faith in
god.

--
http://desertphile.org
"I've hired myself out as a tourist attraction." -- Spike

Desertphile

Apr 21, 2007, 5:25:33 PM4/21/07
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:23:19 GMT, Cheezits
<Cheez...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> quoted:
> > DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> > whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> > God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> > during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> > Methodist University in Dallas.
> [etc.]

> <ROFL> "Just happen", gee, what a coincidence! I guarantee that to these
> clowns "science done right" means "first, accept that the Bible is
> Absolute Truth". In other words, if you start by believing in the God of
> the Bible, then all scientific evidence "points to", surprise, the God of
> the Bible. And that proves the universe has a designer.

It is exactly like someone who works for the tobacco industry who
performs a study on tobacco smoking, and the study "just happens"
to show tobacco-smoking to be healthy and harmless.

Lee Jay

Apr 21, 2007, 5:36:18 PM4/21/07
On Apr 21, 12:59 am, Jason Spaceman

<notrea...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:
> From the article:
> Posted on Apr 20, 2007 | by Gregory Tomlin
>
> DALLAS (BP)--Science, when done right, points powerfully to a designer
> whose characteristics "just happen to match the descriptions of the
> God of the Bible," author and Christian apologist Lee Strobel said
> during a conference on the theory of Intelligent Design at Southern
> Methodist University in Dallas.

Allow me to translate the words, "when done right" for you.

Ahem. "...when contorted in a highly dishonest and non-linear fashion
by lying religious fundamentalists [do we need the redundancy? --ed.]
with political agendas and absolutely no clue at all about how science
works or what science does..."

Lee Jay

Desertphile

Apr 22, 2007, 12:34:00 PM4/22/07

Wow: that's so very Creationist life-like, you could get a job as
a translator to other countries---- countries where Fundamentalist
Theofascist Lunatics are not common, yet countries where they wish
to understand Americans, Bush2, the Bush2 Regime, etc. There must
be big money awaiting you.... :-)