North Carolina Creationism bill?

Darren Garrison

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
A while back (a year or two?) there was a bill submitted in the North
Carolina legislature pertaining to the teaching of Creationism in NC
schools-- there was a thread here in talk.origins about it suggesting
letter writing/ e-mail the NC legislators. That bill was later
withdrawn by the person who submitted it (IIRC.) Anyone have more
info on the details of this, or the URL of a web site with details on
this (such as WHY this bill was withdrawn?)

fwa...@chi1.uncfsu.edu

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <35eb21d7...@news.greenville.infi.net>,

This bill passed the House but was not brought up for vote during the long
session of the Senate. My wife (who is much more politically active than I
am) tells me it is still technically possible for it to be brought up during
the short session. I don't think this will happen. I think the creationist
sympathisers don't have much power in the senate.

After that bill passed the House, I made up an email letter and sent it to
about half the State Senators. About a week later I got an email from plant
pathologist and creationist Gerald Van Dyke of NC State University, the first
sentence of which read: "Well I see you are up to your usual tricks, trying
to fool people with your high sounding science rhetoric." One of the senators
I emailed had forwarded it to him.

After a few exchanges, I challanged him to a debate on the web. After a few
more I told him to put up or shut up. And he shut up.

Floyd