Proselytizers

Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson

Apr 9, 2004, 2:11:58 PM4/9/04
Slightly off topic, but since many people here obviously do not suffer
proselytizers lightly, I'd like to see what kind of unique and wondrous
stories people have of door knockers, street preachers, office prophets, and
well meaning relatives. I have a few interesting ones myself and I bet even
practicing Christians have been confronted by Mormons and J-Dubs.

Tim Norfolk

Apr 9, 2004, 2:37:36 PM4/9/04
>"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" spam...@nospam.com wrote :

Nothing too good. I recently moved from a comfortable suburb, where I had a JW
Kingdom hall and a Baptist chruch within a couple of blocks.

The JW's used to come by, and I would offer a few pleasant comments. A few
years after I moved there, they sent a team of 3 adults to my door including a
"scientist" (read pharmacist), to discuss the Young Earth, fossils, and
evolution. After a spirited discussion in the pouring rain for 2 hours, they
didn't send anyone else for 10 years.

Right after the Baptist church was built, they sent a couple of nice young men
to my door, who asked me if I believed that the Bible was the Holy Word of God.
I replied that I thought it was a bunch of campfire stories by a bunch of
goatherders, assembled and edited by a committee of middle-managers, and I
tend not to take committee-generated work as correct. They got this shocked
look on their faces, and left at great speed.

It is rather interesting that I have moved to the country, where there are even
more fundamentalist churches, yet the people I deal with are much less inclined
to try this sort of thing. In my cub scout den, I was amazed to find out that,
out of 6 boys, only my son goes to church (UU), with one of the others in
Catholic Sunday school.

--irascible since 1957

Frank Reichenbacher

Apr 9, 2004, 3:15:35 PM4/9/04

"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I lived in a one-bedroom mountain cabin in a small town in Arizona when I
was in college. I got married just after the end of my freshman year and
naturally threw a party the night before the wedding. The so-called "party"
turned into a drunken bash-everything-in-sight (except the stereo) and
drink-until-you-can't-throw-up-anymore "party".

We left the front door open, only the screen door was closed. There were six
of us sleeping and in various stages of still being drunk lying in pools of
popcorn, beer, and vomit on the couch, the bed, the floor and the back
porch. My dog, only two months old and absent any kind of brains or
discipline, happily ate all of the food it could find and then added its own
vomit and several piles of dog shit to the ambience. Somebody may have let
it drink several cans of beer.

I was awakened at 7:00 AM the following morning by two JWs at the screen
door. An attractive woman in her early thirties and her little girl. Both
were dressed in their most immaculately conservative JW outfits, including
bonnets and spotless white gloves.

I stumbled to the door wearing only a pair of pants, groaning and holding my
head, which weighed 70 pounds. I flung open the screen door prepared to hurl
the most vile verbal abuse I could muster in the direction of the miscreant
who dared awaken me from my much-needed slumber.

I had never seen a JW before, but I somehow knew exactly why this woman had
come to my door.

I didn't shout at them, of course, that would have caused my head to
explode. She introduced herself and her daughter and then asked me if I knew
that I was a sinner (pretty obvious, eh?) and gave me a couple of
Watchtowers. They wanted to discuss the requirements for eternal salvation
through the screen door, but there was no way I could stand without fainting
for more than thirty seconds. So I stumbled back to the couch, shoving my
best man to the floor, and sat still with my eyes closed to let the head
spins subside. The dog came in from the porch and peed on the drapes, again.

Mrs. JW and her daughter actually followed me inside. Amazingly, they made
no comment whatsoever about the condition of the house or the drunks lying
about, and the mother appeared not to notice anything amiss at all.

They stood together, the daughter practically inside her mother's dress
casting extremely nervous glances in every direction, exactly in the center
of the house. None of my house guests awoke, although one of them farted and
groaned. After several hours of polite banter (which actually took two or
three minutes), they were made to understand that they had come at a bad
time. Fortunately, they soon took the hint. She made some parting remarks
about coming to meetings and I said yeah maybe and then they were mercifully
gone.

Frank

Hank

Apr 9, 2004, 4:03:25 PM4/9/04

Two work-related stories - First, a guy at work got a little "huffy" with me
when, in the middle of a spectacularly bad day, I used the lord's name in vain.
He wasn't *too* bad about it, but he made his point and went back to work.
Weeks later, I found out that this (married) man was having an affair with one
of the secretaries.

In a second similar situation, another guy got huffy following another outburst
of mine (is there a pattern here?) This particular guy regularly boasted how he
was engaged to a rich girl and openly hinted that the money was all he wanted.
Much later at a somewhat wild party at another friend's house, this guy's best
buddy staggers out of one of the bedrooms in his underwear and invites any guy
present to join the two of them in "servicing" a young woman who was unwise
enough to get drunk with them.

--
Assimilate a pitiful little species like you? I think not! - Q of Borg

Ken Shaw

Apr 9, 2004, 5:01:40 PM4/9/04

Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson wrote:

On State street in the Loop there has been a succession of street
preachers using a portable PA system to make themselves heard. One day I
was crossing the street in front of Marshall Fields when I hear this
preacher start calling a woman in a miniskirt jezebel, whore of babylon,
harlot etc. She walked right up to him and put her foot through his
speaker. Next time I saw the portable PA it was jury rigged together and
was being used by a different and very polite preacher.

Ken

Bobby D. Bryant

Apr 9, 2004, 5:26:02 PM4/9/04
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:37:36 +0000, Tim Norfolk wrote:

> The JW's used to come by, and I would offer a few pleasant comments. A
> few years after I moved there, they sent a team of 3 adults to my door
> including a "scientist" (read pharmacist), to discuss the Young Earth,
> fossils, and evolution. After a spirited discussion in the pouring rain
> for 2 hours, they didn't send anyone else for 10 years.

Second-hand story:

A friend says that when he lived in Florida he got tired of the JWs and
told them he was a satanist. Then, years later and after moving to
another state, they supposedly still skip his house.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Richard Forrest

Apr 9, 2004, 5:40:25 PM4/9/04
"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<yIBdc.20272$TS3....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...

When my kids were much younger we had a couple of Mormons knocking on
the door, and as they were very keen to talk I let them offered to
makethem cups of tea (by which you will surmise that we are in
England). Of course they politely refused.
I had the impression that they were rather lonely, and they seemed to
enjoy the atmosphere of chaos that having six young children in the
house generates. They became regular visitors, but appart from a few
desultory attempts to turn the conversation to religious matters, on
which I made it very clear that I thought that their version of
American history was completely unsupported by any evidence, they were
quite happy to play with the kids. One of them told me that it was
like being at home - they both came from large families. They were
nice, clean-cut American teenagers (they were both 18) a long way from
home and in a strange country.
They were regular visitors for about three months; they were great
with the kids, trustworthy, and enjoyed being in pur home. Then they
came again with one of the heavyweights from their Church, who
preached at me for an hour, but got rather defensive when I showed
that I had a greater knowledge and understanding of the archaeological
evidence he was pressing on me than he did.
After that, we didn't see them again.

RF

Nivlem

Apr 9, 2004, 5:51:16 PM4/9/04

Mine from the other day: There was a knock on my door. Those are
relatively rare. I live at the end of a heavily rutted dirt road in a
semi-rural area. My house could just as easily be a barn as a dwelling.
It was about 10 AM, but I wasn't up yet. Fuck morning people. So I
pulled on a pair of thrice-worn jeans and stumbled to the door. Upon
opening it, I discovered two very conservatively dressed middle-aged
ladies. They wanted to talk to me about Jayzuz. Brave, I guess. Picture
your reaction if a large, muscular, hung-over-looking man with his
entire chest and upper arms covered in tattooing came to the door of a
ramshackle house with a black and not exactly gleaming Harley parked on
the lawn, such as it is. I'm sure they spotted the chaos inside when I
opened the door. I should clean my house, soon, I think. Maybe today.
Maybe not. Depends on how much self-discipline I can scrape together, I
suppose. Usually not a lot. Anyway, they didn't bat an eye. I told them
I wasn't awake yet, didn't want to discuss anything like that, and no,
they had better not leave any literature. They turned and left. Then my
landlord came around the corner. He wanted to know who the people were.
"Jehova's Winesses", I said. He said, "How dare they!. Thoughtless,
presumptuous arrogant...", or something like that. Probably not an exact
quote. If I haven't had coffee yet, my brain doesn't work very well.
Then he intercepted them on their way to their car and began to berate
them for trespassing. I loved it.

Dan Luke

Apr 9, 2004, 7:20:22 PM4/9/04
"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" wrote:
> ...like to see what kind of unique and wondrous

> stories people have of door knockers, street preachers,
> office prophets, and well meaning relatives.

An ex-significant other of mine was interrupted by two Mormons as she
was preparing to shower. Stark naked, she invited them in. The two young
men bumped into each other in confusion for a few moments and then fled.
Blessed be her memory.
--
Dan
(remove pants to reply by email)

David Wise

Apr 9, 2004, 8:19:58 PM4/9/04
"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<yIBdc.20272$TS3....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...

We get very few door-to-door proselytizers here. The only notable
experience I had was this (roughly from memory):
Her: Would you like to discuss the Bible with us?
Me: No thank you. We're not Christians.
Her (spotting an opportunity): Oh, would you like to learn about
Christianity?
Me: I have already. That is why we're not Christians.
Her (departing as quickly as she could): Have a good day.

I read this story by a scientist who often spoke at a local atheist
group. He would get door-to-door proselytizers very frequently and
would deal with them politely through rational discussion. Then one
day while he was in the shower, there was a frantic-sounding ringing
of his doorbell and knocking on the door. Thinking that there was
some emergency like a car accident, he grabbed his towel and ran to
the front door. But when he opened it, it was just yet another pair
of door-to-door proselytizers. He was so furious, that he used very
colorful and graphic language (read "a stream of obscenities")
describing what low kinds of life they were, and then he slammed the
door on them. After that, no other door-to-door proselytizers stopped
there. Of any church/organization; and he used to get the full range
of variety before. Then one day he noticed a red thumbtack stuck in
his doorjamb. He realized that it was a "hobo sign", a signal from
one vagrant to all the others what kind of a reception to expect at
this house and, in this case, to avoid it.

When I was a paperboy, I noticed thumbtacks of various colors in the
doorjambs of some of my customers' houses, but until I had read this
story I never realized what they were there for.

Another story was told to me by a fellow student, Mike, who lived down
the street from a Kingdom Hall, which meant two things: 1) their
miniscule parking lot would always overflow and rob all the neighbors
of street parking, and 2) the neighbors got a steady stream of
door-to-door proselytizers as the JWs would have their trainees work
the neighborhood.

One day, Mike answered the door to find yet another door-to-door
proselytizers. A linguistics major with a knack for Sanskrit, Mike
wore a Hindu medallion with Sanskrit written on it. The JW pointed to
it and denounced it as being of the Devil. Mike offered to buy every
single copy of The Watchtower the guy had if he could tell Mike what
it said. Needless to say, Mike didn't have to buy any and the JW just
left without saying a word.

In yet another story, JWs rang the doorbell of a Catholic, who offered
to buy a copy of The Watchtower if they bought copies of his Catholic
booklets. Again, no sale.

Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson

Apr 9, 2004, 8:34:49 PM4/9/04
"Richard Forrest" <ric...@plesiosaur.com> wrote in message

There are two types of proselytizing stories that people have. Horror
stories and Comedies.

One horror story I have happened to my sister-in-law. My mother-in-law is a
rather single-minded fundy determined to convert all of her family by any
means possible. She once told one of her sons (she has twelve sons and
daughters) that she prayed that the cruise he and his wife were on would
sink so that they would find Jesus in their last moments and be saved. Well,
a different son and his long time live in girlfriend decided they would get
married. Mom-in-law invited her soon to be daughter-in-law to lunch so that
they could make wedding announcements and stuff envelopes. At least that's
what she told her. When she got to M-i-L's house she was confronted by
several church members and M-i-L's minister and cornered in what can only be
described as a guerilla conversion attempt. They waved bibles and begged her
to come to Jeeezuhs while blocking the door and not allowing her to leave.
She finally got out and ran to her car in tears, only to find it blocked by
their cars. Luckily she had her cell phone and called her fiancé, who left
work to save her and had to threaten the bible-thumpers with calling the
police before they let her go. MiL was unrepentant and said that the story
was overblown.

The comedy I have is similar to other stories where people answer the door
nude, but in mine I run after them (I lived in an apartment complex) yelling
"Why should I be ashamed of my body? This is how god made me!"

rich hammett

Apr 9, 2004, 8:34:25 PM4/9/04
Sen jälkeen, kun Perry Mason oli pahoinpidellyt
häntä, Dan Luke yllätti tuomarin todistamalla:

Sounds like a legend. I WAS one of those door-to-door mormons,
and I was known to have extended discussions with scantily-clad
women at the door or in their homes. They don't seem so uptight
about that kind of thing in Finland.

rich
--
-to reply, it's hot not warm
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

macaddicted

Apr 9, 2004, 8:46:11 PM4/9/04

I recently had a couple of Mormons come to the door. One of them
physically rocked back on his heels when I told him I was working on a
degree in theology at the local RC seminary.

I always try to use the "force" for good, but there are times....

--
macaddicted
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Alan Jeffery

Apr 9, 2004, 9:00:53 PM4/9/04

"Dan Luke" <c17...@pantsbellsouth.net> wrote in message

Ah, so now I understand the significance of your sig - finally.

Alan Jeffery

---

Dan Luke

Apr 9, 2004, 9:17:15 PM4/9/04

"rich hammett" wrote:
> > An ex-significant other of mine was interrupted by two Mormons as
she
> > was preparing to shower. Stark naked, she invited them in. The two
young
> > men bumped into each other in confusion for a few moments and then
fled.
> > Blessed be her memory.
>
> Sounds like a legend. I WAS one of those door-to-door mormons,
> and I was known to have extended discussions with scantily-clad
> women at the door or in their homes. They don't seem so uptight
> about that kind of thing in Finland.

Well, I only have her testimony; sadly, I wasn't there. Still, I
believed her: she was never one to miss such an opportunity.

Bigdakine

Apr 9, 2004, 9:56:50 PM4/9/04
>ubject: Re: Proselytizers
>From: Ken Shaw non...@your.biz
>Date: 4/9/04 11:01 AM Hawaiian Standard Time

Ahhh., I remember walking out of Wrigley Field after a Cub's game, and there
were a few religious nuts, telling me I'd burn in hell.

For going to a baseball game?

I just said," yeah, but the Cubs won"..

Stuart
Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
"To err is human, but to really foul things up
requires a creationist"

Dan Luke

Apr 9, 2004, 10:11:38 PM4/9/04

"Alan Jeffery" wrote:
> Ah, so now I understand the significance of your sig - finally.

Huh?

Ken Shaw

Apr 9, 2004, 10:11:53 PM4/9/04

I occasionally encounter them there on Sundays complaining about people
watching baseball on Sunday. Of course with recent Cubs success I
anticipate some will be there complaining about the deal with the devil
that cubs fan have made.

On that note, I have always considered the inability of the Cubs and Red
Sox to win a World Series to be proof that there is no devil since old
scratch could pick up a whole lot of souls wholesale for one little
world series pennant.

Ken

AC

Apr 9, 2004, 10:29:24 PM4/9/04

Most of the JWs where I live know who I am, and generally don't bother me.
I just say no thank you, and don't give them a chance to stick magazines in
my hands. My wife feels sorry for those standing on the streetcorner and
takes the mags, but I tell her that's probably the worst thing you can do.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

Lilith

Apr 9, 2004, 11:29:49 PM4/9/04
"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<yIBdc.20272$TS3....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...

I've run into several. Got a lot of stories, mostly mundane kinds of
"Oh, those wacky JW's" and preachers who haunted college campuses. One
of my most favorite moments, though, was when a group of gay teenagers
happened to pass by a preacher doing his thing on Boston Common. They
all were very vocal in their debate of the (rather) fundamentalist
preacher, and at one point, two of the guys yelled "I'm SAVED" and
fell over in a dead "faint" in front of the preacher, writhing and
crawling up his pantlegs. It was kind of funny to see him back off and
walk away.

Adam Marczyk

Apr 9, 2004, 11:58:37 PM4/9/04
"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

My sophomore year in college, we had a genuine fire-and-brimstone
bible-thumping preacher come up from the South to visit our campus. (He
explained that he did this rather than preach nearer to where he lived
because there was more sin in the Northeast. He also mentioned that because
our university is public he had every right to be there, but said he was
probably going to get arrested at Cornell, which was his next stop.) He was
practically rabid, standing outside the university union screaming about
homosexuals, rappers who use obscene language, women who wear revealing
clothing, women who have the nerve to demand equal rights, those evil
atheist evolutionists, and other boogeymen of the far right. He was there
for a few days and attracted quite a large crowd of people, mainly to mock
him, but didn't succeed in winning any converts.

He didn't come back the next year, and while looking through some
religion-related news stories on the net I found out why: he had been
arrested for offering a boy $20 for sex.

--
"We have loved the stars too fondly | a.a. #2001
to be fearful of the night." | http://www.ebonmusings.org

SOGGYNETNUT

Apr 10, 2004, 12:41:22 AM4/10/04
I have given JWs a hard time about JWs attitudes towards science and evolution
.
They came into my house . We talked for a while and then they left . I realised
they had taken their shoes off out of biblical tradition of condeming someone
to hell .
They had confused rejecting Jesus with rejecting literal creationism .They had
attempted to go through the motions of " shaking the dust from their sandles
and smiting me . ( this is instructed in the bible to do this to non believers
)Despite me explaining theistic evolution.They always skipped my home after
that .

Initialy I gave this guy a phamplet on local fossils . He was terrified to
recieve this . Accepting other literature is grounds for dissmissal
disenfellowship in their strict rules . He took it with shaking hands , talk
about mind control !!!

Steven Carr

Apr 10, 2004, 3:01:05 AM4/10/04
On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:40:25 +0000 (UTC), ric...@plesiosaur.com
(Richard Forrest) wrote:

>When my kids were much younger we had a couple of Mormons knocking on
>the door, and as they were very keen to talk I let them offered to
>makethem cups of tea (by which you will surmise that we are in
>England). Of course they politely refused.

The Mormon inability to drink tea explains why they make little
headway in England.

>I had the impression that they were rather lonely........

They were a long way from home.

I met some in Germany, and , as it was near Christmas, we were talking
about family values. Mormons are very keen on family values.

I offered them my mobile so that they could ring their family , free,
to tell them how they were getting on.

To my amazement, they refused, explaining that their Church forbad
them ringing their families.

Any church which stops people talking to their mothers is a wicked
thing.

<skip>

Steven Carr
ste...@bowness.demon.co.uk
http://www.bowness.demon.co.uk/

Steven Carr

Apr 10, 2004, 3:06:00 AM4/10/04
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 04:41:22 +0000 (UTC), soggy...@cs.com
(SOGGYNETNUT) wrote:

<skip>

>Initialy I gave this guy a phamplet on local fossils . He was terrified to
>recieve this . Accepting other literature is grounds for dissmissal
>disenfellowship in their strict rules . He took it with shaking hands , talk
>about mind control !!!

Indeed it is.

One of the JW booklets referenced a certain book. I already had that
book, so offered to give it to the JW's to read, without telling them
that their booklet referenced it.

They refused to read the book their own literature referenced.

Frank J

Apr 10, 2004, 9:55:42 AM4/10/04
"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<yIBdc.20272$TS3....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...

To the ones who come to the door (at most once a year) I just say
politely that I'm not interested, and they politely go away. But I did
have one interesting run-in at work in 1975, when this guy, out of the
blue came to me and said "Do you know that JC is real?!" I said
something like "yeah, whatever."

I said this to humor him, because even in my youth I knew that he
wasn't going to say what he meant in plain English (e.g. "there was a
historical J," in which case I'd have said "I guess so," or "J did
rise from the dead," in which case I'd have said "I doubt it.")

But he pressed on using the same ambiguous phrasing, gave up after a
few rounds, and moved on the next target.

Dick C

Apr 10, 2004, 11:46:37 AM4/10/04
Ken Shaw wrote in talk.origins

> I occasionally encounter them there on Sundays complaining about people
> watching baseball on Sunday. Of course with recent Cubs success I
> anticipate some will be there complaining about the deal with the devil
> that cubs fan have made.
>
> On that note, I have always considered the inability of the Cubs and Red
> Sox to win a World Series to be proof that there is no devil since old
> scratch could pick up a whole lot of souls wholesale for one little
> world series pennant.

Not with the Red Sox. He has to honor his deal with the Yankees. Or is that
his minions play for the Yanks?
Besides, hell is where Mariners fans are. Mariners 0 and 4.

--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.

alexander.hudson

Apr 10, 2004, 11:48:33 AM4/10/04
The mormons that turned up at my door the other week were very polite, civil
and clean cut as you'd expect. I really don't mind talking to them but
refused to convert - they were a little taken aback that I knew something
about the religion and beliefs (apart from an interest in Comparative
Beliefs, my aunt and uncle are Mormons so I have the Book of Mormon .. a
21st birthday present ... and have some idea about Smith, Moroni (what can
anyone really add to that name) and the golden spectacles and all). They
left after talking for a bit but I'm surrounded here by various Christian
denominations, Baptist, Quaker, Christadelphian and Methodist so it's all
much of a muchness really.

Years ago I did go to a rabid kiwi ministers preaching at the local college.
It was classic conspiracy theory stuff and more than a little anti-semitic -
was quite scary to see the hall completely packed. Myself and friends
decided to play along so went as Men In Black in suits and shades and
earpieces, made copious notes and asides during the speech and talked in
code before walking out to a slight hush. We were quite warmly welcomed in
to the hall but there was a certain chill as we left.

"Steven Carr" <ste...@bowness.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Bob Casanova

Apr 10, 2004, 4:37:19 PM4/10/04
On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:01:40 +0000 (UTC), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Ken Shaw
<non...@your.biz>:

>Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson wrote:
>
>> Slightly off topic, but since many people here obviously do not suffer
>> proselytizers lightly, I'd like to see what kind of unique and wondrous
>> stories people have of door knockers, street preachers, office prophets, and
>> well meaning relatives. I have a few interesting ones myself and I bet even
>> practicing Christians have been confronted by Mormons and J-Dubs.
>>

>On State street in the Loop there has been a succession of street
>preachers using a portable PA system to make themselves heard. One day I
>was crossing the street in front of Marshall Fields when I hear this
>preacher start calling a woman in a miniskirt jezebel, whore of babylon,
>harlot etc. She walked right up to him and put her foot through his
>speaker.

Shame the PA speaker wasn't hung from the front of his
belt...

> Next time I saw the portable PA it was jury rigged together and
>was being used by a different and very polite preacher.

--

Bob C.

Reply to Bob-Casanova @ worldnet.att.net
(without the spaces, of course)

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"
- Isaac Asimov

Alan Jeffery

Apr 10, 2004, 5:26:43 PM4/10/04

> "Alan Jeffery" wrote:
> > Ah, so now I understand the significance of your sig - finally.
>
> Huh?

"Remove "pants" ......"

I know what it *really* means. But, obviously, if you need to explain. Oh
well.

Andrew Arensburger

Apr 13, 2004, 6:18:20 PM4/13/04
Frank J <fn...@comcast.net> wrote:
> But I did
> have one interesting run-in at work in 1975, when this guy, out of the
> blue came to me and said "Do you know that JC is real?!" I said
> something like "yeah, whatever."

1975, huh? It would make a better story if you had said,
"Jimmy who?"

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy University of Maryland
arensb.no-...@umd.edu Office of Information Technology

mvillanu

Apr 13, 2004, 9:29:51 PM4/13/04
rich hammett <bubba...@warmmail.com> wrote in message news:<107egaa...@corp.supernews.com>...

> Sen jälkeen, kun Perry Mason oli pahoinpidellyt
> häntä, Dan Luke yllätti tuomarin todistamalla:
> > "Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" wrote:
> >> ...like to see what kind of unique and wondrous
> >> stories people have of door knockers, street preachers,
> >> office prophets, and well meaning relatives.
>
> > An ex-significant other of mine was interrupted by two Mormons as she
> > was preparing to shower. Stark naked, she invited them in. The two young
> > men bumped into each other in confusion for a few moments and then fled.
> > Blessed be her memory.
>
> Sounds like a legend. I WAS one of those door-to-door mormons,
> and I was known to have extended discussions with scantily-clad
> women at the door or in their homes. They don't seem so uptight
> about that kind of thing in Finland.

In that case how can I convert to JCLDS, and how can I get sent to Finland.

mvillanu

Apr 13, 2004, 9:42:05 PM4/13/04
"Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<yIBdc.20272$TS3....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> Slightly off topic, but since many people here obviously do not suffer
> proselytizers lightly, I'd like to see what kind of unique and wondrous

> stories people have of door knockers, street preachers, office prophets, and
> well meaning relatives. I have a few interesting ones myself and I bet even
> practicing Christians have been confronted by Mormons and J-Dubs.

Back in college I had a roommate who was actually interested in
getting into Christianity.

I got home one evening and there he was with another student, and they
were both reading the Bible with the student there telling him what it
says and doing his best to recruit my roommate.

I was about to ignore this and just head on up to my room until I
heard the recruiter say something like "And with this evolution thing,
you can't really trust it. They say they can carbon date fossils to
millions of years ago, but if you carbon date a penny you also get
millions of years even though the penny says 1996!"

Since the lease was barely starting out, and I didn't really feel like
starting an argument that would make the rest of the year awkward
between my roommate and I, I just left and went back to school.

Eros

Apr 13, 2004, 10:10:37 PM4/13/04
"Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.04.09....@mail.utexas.edu>...
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:37:36 +0000, Tim Norfolk wrote:
>
> > The JW's used to come by, and I would offer a few pleasant comments. A
> > few years after I moved there, they sent a team of 3 adults to my door
> > including a "scientist" (read pharmacist), to discuss the Young Earth,
> > fossils, and evolution. After a spirited discussion in the pouring rain
> > for 2 hours, they didn't send anyone else for 10 years.
>
> Second-hand story:
>
> A friend says that when he lived in Florida he got tired of the JWs and
> told them he was a satanist. Then, years later and after moving to
> another state, they supposedly still skip his house.

That's probably because of the dripping red pentagram on the front
door and the charred inverted cross, with dead animals nailed to it,
in the front garden.

EROS.
"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy
nailed to two pieces of wood." --George Carlin

thelodger

Apr 14, 2004, 6:39:41 PM4/14/04
In article <ab0de77f.04041...@posting.google.com>, Eros wrote:
> "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbr...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.04.09....@mail.utexas.edu>...
>> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:37:36 +0000, Tim Norfolk wrote:
>>
>> > The JW's used to come by, and I would offer a few pleasant comments. A
>> > few years after I moved there, they sent a team of 3 adults to my door
>> > including a "scientist" (read pharmacist), to discuss the Young Earth,
>> > fossils, and evolution. After a spirited discussion in the pouring rain
>> > for 2 hours, they didn't send anyone else for 10 years.
>>
>> Second-hand story:
>>
>> A friend says that when he lived in Florida he got tired of the JWs and
>> told them he was a satanist. Then, years later and after moving to
>> another state, they supposedly still skip his house.
>
> That's probably because of the dripping red pentagram on the front
> door and the charred inverted cross, with dead animals nailed to it,
> in the front garden.

I am a former JW myself and used to avoid a door that had a dead cat hanging
on it with a string around it's neck. I think it's a pretty good way to
keep the JW's away...

Lodger

AC

Apr 14, 2004, 7:09:42 PM4/14/04

And damn near anyone else.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

lodger

Apr 14, 2004, 9:28:14 PM4/14/04
In article <slrnc7rh8s.q4....@alder.alberni.net>,
AC <mightym...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I bet it doesn't get rid of those damn magazine selling kids who claim
to be competing in a competition for a trip to Europe...

Lodger

--
Lodger

"If Jack Kerouac had a Gameboy he never would have written 'On the Road"
- The Citizen Harold

Larry C. Lyons

Apr 14, 2004, 9:56:39 PM4/14/04
For that you need to hang the burnt and blood soaked corpse of a
magazine peddler on your door.

larry

--

Larry C. Lyons

Life is Complex. It has both real and imaginary parts.
Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is done.

lodger

Apr 14, 2004, 10:11:07 PM4/14/04
In article <R_lfc.33656$F9.2...@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,

Thanks Larry! Talk about your good advice... I'll have to give that a
try! :-)

John Wilkins

Apr 14, 2004, 10:12:38 PM4/14/04
Larry C. Lyons <Larry...@someoneElse.Invalid> wrote:

Only if it's by the heels.
--
John Wilkins
john...@wilkins.id.au http://www.wilkins.id.au

Frank F. Smith

Apr 14, 2004, 10:55:47 PM4/14/04
On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:11:58 +0000 (UTC), "Here's To You, Mr.s
Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Slightly off topic, but since many people here obviously do not suffer
>proselytizers lightly, I'd like to see what kind of unique and wondrous
>stories people have of door knockers, street preachers, office prophets, and
>well meaning relatives. I have a few interesting ones myself and I bet even
>practicing Christians have been confronted by Mormons and J-Dubs.

One acquaintence of mine would greet door-to-door proselytizers with:
"This really isn't a convenient time right now. Could you come back
sometime when I'm not home?"
--
Frank F. Smith
email: frankf at zoom hyphen dsl dot com

Larry C. Lyons

Apr 14, 2004, 11:39:08 PM4/14/04
lodger wrote:

It worked for me. Or was I supposed to say that. I guess I'll have to
pull another midnight move now.

Bobby D. Bryant

Apr 15, 2004, 5:45:40 AM4/15/04
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:55:47 +0000, Frank F. Smith wrote:

> One acquaintence of mine would greet door-to-door proselytizers with:
> "This really isn't a convenient time right now. Could you come back
> sometime when I'm not home?"

LoL.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Rodjk

Apr 15, 2004, 11:12:09 AM4/15/04
Andrew Arensburger <arensb.no-...@umd.edu> wrote in message news:<c5hp26$oc8$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...

> Frank J <fn...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > But I did
> > have one interesting run-in at work in 1975, when this guy, out of the
> > blue came to me and said "Do you know that JC is real?!" I said
> > something like "yeah, whatever."
>
> 1975, huh? It would make a better story if you had said,
> "Jimmy who?"

Connors...

Rodjk #613

Richard S. Crawford

Apr 15, 2004, 11:39:16 AM4/15/04
Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson wrote:

> Slightly off topic, but since many people here obviously do not suffer
> proselytizers lightly, I'd like to see what kind of unique and wondrous
> stories people have of door knockers, street preachers, office prophets, and
> well meaning relatives. I have a few interesting ones myself and I bet even
> practicing Christians have been confronted by Mormons and J-Dubs.

I personally used to live in an apartment complex where my mom, my
sister and I were the only non-JW's in a cul de sac full of them. They
were nice people; Saul and Paul were two of my very best friends.

They never tried proselytizing to my family or me. I guess that they
figured you just don't shit where you eat.

lodger

Apr 15, 2004, 2:06:02 PM4/15/04
In article <c5mabh$hsf$3...@woodrow.ucdavis.edu>,
"Richard S. Crawford" <rscrawf...@mossREMOVEWATERFOWLroot.com>
wrote:

Unless they have been assigned the territory they live in to "work" they
wouldn't bother. They'd instead try to set a good Christian example to
help make "a good Witness to the world" that way. JW's only work the
territory they're assigned, but if an opening appears in a conversation
they may try to steer the subject to religious topics.

Richard S. Crawford

Apr 15, 2004, 2:19:24 PM4/15/04
lodger wrote:

Ah, I see.

Of course, we were all only 7 or 8 at the time. That may have had
somethng to do with it.

Rich Mathers

Apr 15, 2004, 2:51:10 PM4/15/04

Rodjk wrote:

No. Carter I'm sure.

Walter Bushell

Apr 19, 2004, 5:44:46 PM4/19/04
In article <HiKdc.172$yj...@news02.roc.ny>,
"Adam Marczyk" <ebon...@deletethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Here's To You, Mr.s Robinson" <spam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > Slightly off topic, but since many people here obviously do not suffer
> > proselytizers lightly, I'd like to see what kind of unique and wondrous
> > stories people have of door knockers, street preachers, office prophets,
> and
> > well meaning relatives. I have a few interesting ones myself and I bet
> even
> > practicing Christians have been confronted by Mormons and J-Dubs.
>

> My sophomore year in college, we had a genuine fire-and-brimstone
> bible-thumping preacher come up from the South to visit our campus. (He
> explained that he did this rather than preach nearer to where he lived
> because there was more sin in the Northeast. He also mentioned that because
> our university is public he had every right to be there, but said he was
> probably going to get arrested at Cornell, which was his next stop.) He was
> practically rabid, standing outside the university union screaming about
> homosexuals, rappers who use obscene language, women who wear revealing
> clothing, women who have the nerve to demand equal rights, those evil
> atheist evolutionists, and other boogeymen of the far right. He was there
> for a few days and attracted quite a large crowd of people, mainly to mock
> him, but didn't succeed in winning any converts.
>
> He didn't come back the next year, and while looking through some
> religion-related news stories on the net I found out why: he had been
> arrested for offering a boy $20 for sex.

How's the saying go 15 will get you twenty, ten will get you fifty?

Walter Bushell

Apr 19, 2004, 6:01:03 PM4/19/04
In article <c594f1$mqq$1...@titan.btinternet.com>,
"alexander.hudson" <alexande...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
<Snip>

> Moroni (what can
> anyone really add to that name) and the golden spectacles and all).

<Snip>

Plural of moron?

Seriously, for a mind control kult, you have to have something
impossible to believe. The more impossible the better. If you get
somebody to publicly avow something they know is false, you have them
hooked. Nothing beats trying to prove you are right when you know you
are wrong to instill fanaticism.

Joe Smith certainly over fulfilled his quota.