Talk dot origins archive web?

1 view

Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al)

Dec 11, 2008, 6:59:25 PM12/11/08
Anyone else noticed the talk.origins website is currently experiencing
an extinction event?

Friar Broccoli

Dec 11, 2008, 7:14:09 PM12/11/08
On Dec 11, 6:59 pm, "Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al)"

<alwh...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Anyone else noticed the talk.origins website is currently experiencing
> an extinction event?

I cannot reach it right now.

John S. Wilkins

Dec 11, 2008, 7:27:15 PM12/11/08
Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al) <alw...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Anyone else noticed the talk.origins website is currently experiencing
> an extinction event?

The host ISP has changed its configuration, and conseqently we can't
resubscribe for the domain name because the contact email was under that
domain. We are looking into a new domain name and host. I'll keep you
all advised as Wesley sends me information.
--
John S. Wilkins, Philosophy, University of Sydney
scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al)

Dec 11, 2008, 7:30:59 PM12/11/08
On Dec 12, 10:27 am, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al) <alwh...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Anyone else noticed the talk.origins website is currently experiencing
> > an extinction event?
>
> The host ISP has changed its configuration, and conseqently we can't
> resubscribe for the domain name because the contact email was under that
> domain. We are looking into a new domain name and host. I'll keep you
> all advised as Wesley sends me information.

Ow.
Seems to me there's an issue with that domain rego people if they
don't have alternate methods of changing things. That said, been
there before, domain rego "authorities" do tend to be incredibly
annoying and convoluted.

John S. Wilkins

Dec 11, 2008, 7:37:40 PM12/11/08
Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al) <alw...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Yes, we've had trouble with them before, but Wesley has always been able
to sort it out. The problem is we can't access them by anything other
than email, as they have not responded to telephone calls, and we don't
have an independent email address registered. So it's partly our
mistake.

Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al)

Dec 11, 2008, 8:23:40 PM12/11/08

Yes, but, considering they publish a phone number... As a customer
you shouldn't have to cover every eventuality when they clearly have
alternate contact methods. So many of the domain registrars are
really dodgy little outfits. grumble...

Alternate access for desperate peoples: Is there an IP? Or is it a
multi-domain based publishing over fewer IPs?
I'm askin for www.richarddawkins.net/forum, where, unsurprisingly,
it's used as reference material for the creationist debunking, as it
is where-ever creationist debunking goes on. :-)

There's a domain registrar in the building here, but I don't think
talk.origins.qld.gov.au has the same feel as a dot org.

Al

AC

Dec 12, 2008, 1:53:30 PM12/12/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:27:15 +1000,
John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
> Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al) <alw...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else noticed the talk.origins website is currently experiencing
>> an extinction event?
>
> The host ISP has changed its configuration, and conseqently we can't
> resubscribe for the domain name because the contact email was under that
> domain. We are looking into a new domain name and host. I'll keep you
> all advised as Wesley sends me information.

Can't you simply write on the appropriate letterhead to the registrar? When
I was working for an ISP we used to have to do that on the odd occasion,
because an ISP went broke or was being rather nasty. The owner of the
domain is still the owner of the domain, regardless of hosting company.

--
Aaron Clausen mightym...@gmail.com

AC

Dec 12, 2008, 1:55:50 PM12/12/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:37:40 +1000,
John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:
> Dogmantic Pyrrhonist (AKA Al) <alw...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> > The host ISP has changed its configuration, and conseqently we can't
>> > resubscribe for the domain name because the contact email was under that
>> > domain. We are looking into a new domain name and host. I'll keep you
>> > all advised as Wesley sends me information.
>>
>> Ow.
>> Seems to me there's an issue with that domain rego people if they
>> don't have alternate methods of changing things. That said, been
>> there before, domain rego "authorities" do tend to be incredibly
>> annoying and convoluted.
>
> Yes, we've had trouble with them before, but Wesley has always been able
> to sort it out. The problem is we can't access them by anything other
> than email, as they have not responded to telephone calls, and we don't
> have an independent email address registered. So it's partly our
> mistake.

As I said earlier, there are mechanisms in place to move registration, even
if your registrar has become non-responsive. The rules were (at least a
couple of years ago) a letter written on some sort of official letterhead.
If you talk to another registrar they will probably have the procedure for
you. The owner of the domain is still the owner of the domain, not the
registrar or the hosting company.

--
Aaron Clausen mightym...@gmail.com

John S. Wilkins

Dec 12, 2008, 9:32:02 PM12/12/08
AC <moj...@telus.net> wrote:

We are temporarily at

http://toarchive.org/

until the talkorigins.org domain is sorted out. Lunarpages are being
unresponsive.

John S. Wilkins

Dec 12, 2008, 9:32:05 PM12/12/08
AC <moj...@telus.net> wrote:

I've passed that on to Wesley.

Wesley R. Elsberry

Dec 13, 2008, 12:28:44 AM12/13/08
In <1irvzx7.1tymhpzq9o7hgN%jo...@wilkins.id.au> on Friday 12 December 2008

09:32 pm, John S. Wilkins wrote:

> We are temporarily at
>
> http://toarchive.org/
>
> until the talkorigins.org domain is sorted out. Lunarpages are being
> unresponsive.

It's our registrar, joker.com, that is unresponsive. Lunarpages has been
fine this time around, and got the primary domain switched over during a
twenty-minute phone conversation with tech support.

--
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." -- Dorothy Parker

Wesley R. Elsberry

Dec 13, 2008, 12:30:23 AM12/13/08
In <1irw01k.ta1jjw1csnofvN%jo...@wilkins.id.au> on Friday 12 December 2008

09:32 pm, John S. Wilkins wrote:

> AC <moj...@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:27:15 +1000,
>> John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

>> > The host ISP has changed its configuration, and conseqently we can't
>> > resubscribe for the domain name because the contact email was under
>> > that domain. We are looking into a new domain name and host. I'll keep
>> > you all advised as Wesley sends me information.
>>
>> Can't you simply write on the appropriate letterhead to the registrar?
>> When I was working for an ISP we used to have to do that on the odd
>> occasion,
>> because an ISP went broke or was being rather nasty. The owner of the
>> domain is still the owner of the domain, regardless of hosting company.
>
> I've passed that on to Wesley.

Yes, thanks. Correspondence, though, takes a while. The domain name switch
let us serve pages again on a shorter schedule. That should help while the
correspondence happens.

Earle Jones

Dec 14, 2008, 12:22:41 AM12/14/08
In article <D-GdncOG74Nv3t7U...@cablespeedmi.com>,

"Wesley R. Elsberry" <wels...@inia.cls.org> wrote:

> --
> "You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." -- Dorothy Parker

*
"Sorry that my karma ran over your dogma."

earle
*