Red Cross: African Flood Losses Getting Worse -- "It's consistent with predictions of Global Warming"

john fernbach

Sep 29, 2007, 11:28:30 AM9/29/07
>From IC Publications, African Business

http://www.africasia.com/services/news/newsitem.php?area=africa&item=070928163216.r513x7mg.php

28/09/2007 GENEVA, Sept 28 (AFP)

Africa flood relief needs surge in three years: Red Cross

The Red Cross said Friday that it had observed a "worrying" eightfold
increase since 2004 in the number of African flood disasters it has to
deal with.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
said the number of floods in Africa where the movement provided relief
aid jumped from five in 2004 to 32 in 2006.

By mid September, with widespread flooding stretching across more than
20 countries from west to east Africa, the number of floods on the
continent that mobilised Red Cross aid so far this year stood at 42.

"While the figures only cover those flooding situations that the Red
Cross and Red Crescent responded to, they still make worrying
reading," Federation acting policy director Encho Gospodinov said.

The floods are consistent with predictions of climate change,
according to Gospdinov, raising the risk of both drought and flooding
in different parts of Africa.

"We welcome debate on the issue, and look forward to discussing next
steps with our humanitarian partners," he said after this week's
meeting on climate change at the United Nations in New York.

"But our statistics are a stark reminder that we must move from words
to action if more suffering is to be reduced," he added.

Hundreds of thousands of people have been affected and at least 300
have died in the latest, widespread flooding since heavy rains began
sweeping across the continent two months ago, according to figures
based on reports by hospital, government and humanitarian sources and
compiled by AFP.