NOAA urges air quality awareness but NWS is unaware of climate change

Patrick

Apr 29, 2007, 8:53:21 PM4/29/07

Patrick

Apr 30, 2007, 5:33:20 PM4/30/07
Deputy Director of the National Weather Service said:

... "I'm not really a climate change expert, so I can't offer much
insight here." ...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20030801.html

Al Bedo

Apr 30, 2007, 7:43:47 PM4/30/07

A wise man indeed.

As idiots here will remind you, climate is not weather.

And climate change is not climate.

Holding a degree in Meteorology, I can tell you that
the climatologists were the ones everyone looked down
on because they didn't take the copious differential equations
requiring dynamics courses.

I guess this is their revenge.

Exxon Liars & Thieves

Apr 30, 2007, 9:33:52 PM4/30/07

We still look down on you, Al Bedo, but you've given us lots of new
reasons.

Scientists' Report Documents ExxonMobil's Tobacco-like Disinformation
Campaign on Global Warming Science -- Oil Company Spent Nearly $16
Million to Fund Skeptic Groups, Create Confusion
http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/ExxonMobil-GlobalWarming-tobacco.html

Patrick

Apr 30, 2007, 9:52:16 PM4/30/07
On Apr 30, 4:43 pm, Al Bedo <c...@dark.side.of.the.moon> wrote:

Many State Climatologists ... Michaels, Taylor and others ... who have
spoken falsely and publicly about climate change have meteorology and
weather record keeping backgrounds, not climate science.

My background was in hydrology and civil / environmental engineering.
My experience was in hydrologic modeling and river forecasting.

When I wrote the e-mail to NWS staff below I had 24 years of
experience in hydrologic modeling and flood prediction. The reply by
my supervisor, the Hydrologist in Charge of NWS North Central River
Forecast Center is also below.
What, if anything, would you have said in Feb 2000, knowing what you
know now.
Also see:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/patneuman2000/albums

___

Subject: Effects of global warming on spring flood outlook procedures
To NCRFC staff, MSP WFO staff
Author: Pat Neuman at W-CR-MSR
Date: 2/28/2000 09:29

Scientists are convinced that global warming is occurring. There is a
recent report by NOAA that global warming could be accelerating. The
report was referenced by the presenter at the weather briefing this
morning.

Global warming has large implications regarding spring flood outlook
procedures and the use of ESP. Can we get together and discuss this
sometime?

Perhaps there are others from NCRFC or the WFO that could take part in
the discussion.

Pat
____

___________________________________

Subject: Re: Effects of global warming on spring flood outlook
procedures

Author: Dean Braatz at W-CR-MSR
Date: 2/28/00 11:03 AM

Pat.... Again, let me say we have to walk lightly on this issue.
Its beyond the scope of our operational mission in this office.
Dean
___________________________________

Eric Swanson

May 1, 2007, 7:55:20 AM5/1/07
In article <46367f34$0$514$815e...@news.qwest.net>, c...@dark.side.of.the.moon
says...

>Holding a degree in Meteorology, I can tell you that
>the climatologists were the ones everyone looked down
>on because they didn't take the copious differential equations
>requiring dynamics courses.

Let's see, Al the Sock Puppet now claims to have a degree in some science
field, while he hides behind a fake name. So, tell us, "Al", where did you get
this degree and what year was it? Oh, sorry, you will need to give your name,
like any honest person, so that we can verify your credentials.

Tell us also what you have done with your education and your differential
equations. Do you use them for hand calculations to forecast tomorrow's
weather? Or, do you use the lastest computer model simulation results based
on math and carefully collected weather data to make a forecast? If you go
for the second answer, did you write the code for the forecast model? And,
are you aware that the folks who study climate are likely to be the same ones
that wrote the weather models you are depending on? You know, the same guys
that taught you what you think you know about weather.

>I guess this is their revenge.

I guess all arrogant idiots need an occasional reminder of the limits of
their knowledge.

--
Eric Swanson --- E-mail address: e_swanson(at)skybest.com :-)

Fast Pat

May 1, 2007, 10:16:05 AM5/1/07
On Apr 30, 4:43 pm, Al Bedo <c...@dark.side.of.the.moon> wrote:

--
Al Bedo wrote
> A wise man indeed.

Why did the Dep. Director of NOAA's NWS fail to give Heather a link to
NOAA's laboratory in Boulder which shows:

"Very carefully calibrated measurements have confirmed that CO2 is
increasing in the atmosphere and that human activities are the primary
cause. CO2 measurements, started by Charles D. Keeling of the Scripps
Institution of Oceanography, have been taken directly from the
atmosphere over the last ~50 years. CO2 trends for earlier times have
been derived from measurements of CO2 in air trapped in bubbles in
polar ice and in mountain glaciers."

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/infodata/faq_cat-3.html#45

and:

"The oceans and land vegetation are absorbing about half of our
emissions; the other half remains airborne for 100 years or longer.
This is what is causing the rapid buildup of CO2, a buildup that
dwarfs natural fluctuations.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/infodata/faq_cat-1.html#23

and:

Mauna Loa measured CO2:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/Photo_Gallery/GMD_Figures/ccgg_figures/tn/co2_mm_mlo.png.html

Deputy Director of the National Weather Service, John E. Jones, Jr.
said:

"Heather, I'm not really a climate change expert, so I can't offer
much insight here. I can tell you that under the President's
leadership this week, more than 30 nations came together here in
Washington, D.C. to establish an Earth observation system aimed at
providing scientific data needed to understand our climate." ...

NWS has about 5,000 scientists with access to climate change
information and references but they've been giving the public nothing
- misleading the public on global warming by acting like idiots.

Harold Brooks

May 1, 2007, 12:10:41 PM5/1/07
In article <1178028965.3...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, npat1
@juno.com says...

> On Apr 30, 4:43 pm, Al Bedo <c...@dark.side.of.the.moon> wrote:
> > Patrick wrote:
> > > Deputy Director of the National Weather Service said:
> >
> > > ... "I'm not really a climate change expert, so I can't offer much
> > > insight here." ...
> >
> > >http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20030801.html
> >
> > A wise man indeed.
> >
> > As idiots here will remind you, climate is not weather.
> >
> > And climate change is not climate.
> >
> > Holding a degree in Meteorology, I can tell you that
> > the climatologists were the ones everyone looked down
> > on because they didn't take the copious differential equations
> > requiring dynamics courses.
> >
> > I guess this is their revenge.
>
> --
> Al Bedo wrote
> > A wise man indeed.
>
> Why did the Dep. Director of NOAA's NWS fail to give Heather a link to
> NOAA's laboratory in Boulder which shows:

Two simple reasons come to mind:

1) As he said, he's not a climate change expert, so he might not have
been familiar with the resources available, especially those that aren't
in his line office (ESRL is part of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research,
not NWS).

2) Perhaps more importantly, he wasn't clairvoyant at the time. The
interactive forum you referenced is dated August 1, 2003. ESRL, which
hosts the links you cite here, didn't come into existence until October
2005. He might not have been able to anticipate the link structure that
would be created a couple of years after the forum.

--
Harold Brooks
hebro...@hotmail.com

Patrick

May 1, 2007, 4:22:06 PM5/1/07
On May 1, 9:10 am, Harold Brooks <hebrook...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <1178028965.390668.278...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, npat1
> >http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/Photo_Gallery/GMD_Figures/ccgg_figures/t...

> > Deputy Director of the National Weather Service, John E. Jones, Jr.
> > said:
>
> > "Heather, I'm not really a climate change expert, so I can't offer
> > much insight here. I can tell you that under the President's
> > leadership this week, more than 30 nations came together here in
> > Washington, D.C. to establish an Earth observation system aimed at
> > providing scientific data needed to understand our climate." ...
>
> > NWS has about 5,000 scientists with access to climate change
> > information and references but they've been giving the public nothing
> > - misleading the public on global warming by acting like idiots.
>
> --
> Harold Brooks
> hebrook...@hotmail.com

---

Reply to Harold Brooks - The Deputy Director of NWS failed to inform
the public caller in 2003 that the Lab in Boulder had the best
information on CO2 and global warming in NOAA. Please don't be silly.

Harold Brooks

May 1, 2007, 7:05:06 PM5/1/07
In article <1178050926.6...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, npat1

The Deputy Director of NWS said that he wasn't a climate change expert.
I would rather have people who don't know what they're talking about say
they don't know rather than make a statement they are unqualified to
make. He chose to give an honest answer about what he knew.

If you have information that the Deputy Director of the NWS, who came
out of aviation forecasting knew about the climate information at non-
NWS part of NOAA, that would be relevant. Otherwise, you're just
guessing about what he knew off the top of his head for a live
interview.

Harold

--
Harold Brooks
hebro...@hotmail.com

Message has been deleted

Patrick

May 1, 2007, 9:41:39 PM5/1/07
On May 1, 4:05 pm, Harold Brooks <hebrook...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <1178050926.659920.235...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, npat1
> hebrook...@hotmail.com

--------

Mr. Brooks,

The Deputy Director of NWS allowed his Meteorologists in Charge (MICs)
of local NWS offices (120 offices in the U.S.) to give false and
misleading information to the public on global warming in 2003, before
2003 and after 2003. See comment below by the MIC at Duluth National
Weather Service office in 2006 below.

Northland Scientists Have Different Opinions On Global Warming

May 15, 2006 - Posted 10:53 a.m. - Global warming has been a hot topic
for a number of years now.

Meteorologist Dave Anderson talked to several Northland scientists to
see if consensus has been reached.

Recently, a group called Environmental Defense teamed up with the Ad
Council to make a series of public service announcements warning
people of the dangers of global warming.

To learn about those dangers myself, I talked to three of our area's
weather professionals.

I found they had three different opinions.

Mike Stewart is the meteorologist in charge of the Duluth National
Weather Service office.

He tells us that global warming has not yet been proved or disproved.

"Bottom line is we're not really sure what is causing global warming
or if it is even going on," said Stewart. ...

[...]

Meteorologist Dave Anderson, the Northland's NewsCenter.
http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/

Patrick

May 2, 2007, 6:30:55 AM5/2/07

--

Reply to kT,

It will not be easy and may not be fruitful to "... investigate ... "

NWS policy has been to give no comments to media on global waming
since 1992 and document nothing. Messages about climate and hydrologic
change by NWS staff were ignored - as shown by an e-mail (below) from
a Senior Hydrologist at the NWS North Central River Forecast Center -
a no reply from the NWS Deputy Director.

May 2, 2007, 6:58:13 AM5/2/07
On Apr 30, 6:33 pm, Exxon Liars & Thieves
> Million to Fund Skeptic Groups, Create Confusionhttp://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/ExxonMobil-GlobalWarming-tob...

I believe that NWS is as much at fault for the disinformation campaign
on global warming as was/is ExxonMobile, and NWS disinformation was at
tax payer expense.

Patrick

May 2, 2007, 7:03:59 AM5/2/07

--

Eric,

tried giving reminders to NWS management on the limits on their
knowledge of climate change but that didn't work, as shown by the e-
mail below to me from my NOAA NWS NCRFC supervisor.

== >From "Daniel Luna" <daniel.luna@...>
Date Tuesday, February 1, 2005 8:48 pm
To Pat Neuman <pat.neuman@...>
Cc <gary.foltz@...>, <john.halquist@...>, <cheryl.p.jordan@...>
Subject Re: 2005 AOP
Pat, Please come and speak with me concerning your questions, if you
still have questions. I do not want to engage in a "long winded, never-
ending" e-mail thread. The bottom line is you were told many times to
stop working in this area and that still holds true and will continue
to hold true until you are directed otherwise.
thanks danl ----
==