Cat

1 view

Elspeth

Jan 28, 2001, 11:17:46 AM1/28/01
Pretty little kitty cat
hiding in the grass,
silent in the grass,
what is it you see?

Can you see a little rat
creeping through the weeds,
waking up the weeds
underneath the tree?

Lickety-brindle! After that!
Spring up in the air,
aiming through the air,
pouncing where you see:

It's a birdy, silly cat,
flapping to the sky,
flying in the sky
up into the tree.

Elsie

in my tree

Ace Lightning

Jan 28, 2001, 6:25:24 PM1/28/01

when i'm lying in bed, under the covers, and i move my
feet, my cat does that to my toes.

mathew

Jan 28, 2001, 10:30:08 PM1/28/01
Here's my cat poem, a repost from 1992:

"Cat Poem"

as we were walking
strolling
talking
I noticed that a cat was stalking
chasing
catching birds
the birds were jumping
flying
falling
dying

my actions too were wounding
killing
unfulfilling
that night you were sitting
sighing
wishing
crying
as the anger I was feeling
voicing
venting
showed that I was unrepenting
no time now for joking
sharing
caring
giving
love released no longer living

mathew

Blair P. Houghton

Jan 30, 2001, 5:08:37 AM1/30/01
Ace Lightning <acelig...@monmouth.com> wrote:

>when i'm lying in bed, under the covers, and i move my
>feet, my cat does that to my toes.

Toe mice.

Only some cats are zoned for it.

--Blair
"Them, and the NY Giants,
though they should have
been thinking bigger."

Ace Lightning

Jan 30, 2001, 1:22:47 PM1/30/01
"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
>>when i'm lying in bed, under the covers, and i move my
>>feet, my cat does that to my toes.
>Toe mice.
>Only some cats are zoned for it.

it's especially bad when he's sleeping by my feet. when
a cat sleeps, about the only function that is still
active is "pounce".

and my cat's name is Loki.

Louise R. Howard

Jan 30, 2001, 2:19:34 PM1/30/01
In article <3A770677...@monmouth.com>,

Ace Lightning <acelig...@monmouth.com> wrote:
>it's especially bad when he's sleeping by my feet. when
>a cat sleeps, about the only function that is still
>active is "pounce".
>and my cat's name is Loki.

I once tangled with a cat named Loki.
He belonged to a dear friend of mine
who I called about three times a week.
One Saturday, I was having a typical
mid-20s crisis and needed my favorite
married X-boyfriend to give me some
sage advice. I called. The phone was
answered, but no one human was on the
other end of the line. I heard Loki
batting the phone and purring at it.
I conversed with Loki for about 15 minutes.

He was just what I needed.

-Louise
I tried cal

LauryB

Jan 30, 2001, 9:17:04 AM1/30/01
mathew <me...@pobox.com> mewed
| "Cat Poem"
| <etc>
Well I, for one, saw nothing which rhymes with icosahedron.

Ace Lightning

Jan 30, 2001, 4:16:46 PM1/30/01
"Louise R. Howard" wrote:
>>and my cat's name is Loki.
>I once tangled with a cat named Loki.
>He belonged to a dear friend of mine
>who I called about three times a week.
>One Saturday, I was having a typical
>mid-20s crisis and needed my favorite
>married X-boyfriend to give me some
>sage advice. I called. The phone was
>answered, but no one human was on the
>other end of the line. I heard Loki
>batting the phone and purring at it.
>I conversed with Loki for about 15 minutes.
>He was just what I needed.

cats are very wise. they know more than we do
about many things. nobody ever had to teach a
cat how to relax, for instance. they understand
a number of human languages, including French
and Chinese - they think English is ugly, but
they understand it. however, they generally
refuse to speak in any language but their own.
learn to understand them, and they will give
you excellent advice.

just don't let them pounce on, kill, and eat
your toes when you're sleeping.

Scott Dorsey

Jan 31, 2001, 10:26:05 AM1/31/01
Louise R. Howard <god...@crystal.palace.net> wrote:
>I heard Loki
>batting the phone and purring at it.
>I conversed with Loki for about 15 minutes.
>
>He was just what I needed.

1-900-DIAL-CAT

I see a great need.
--scott

Doctor Morpheus

Jan 31, 2001, 12:56:33 PM1/31/01
Ace Lightning wrote:

> cats are very wise.

This is very curiously true. Some aspects of their intelligence are
trully fascinating.

When I was in chicago, one day as I was watching a formula race or
something such, my male was following the images of the cars on the big
screen tv that was lying on the floor, sitting on his back legs. The
camera followed 3 or 4 cars and eventually it regressed, forcing the car
images to slide out of view to the left. The male nonchallantly walked
towards the left side of the tv box and curiously was trying to figure
out where the little cars went, looking behind it.

I guess this shows that a cat's visual stimulus is not quite 2D.
--
Ioannis Galidakis
<http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/>

Ace Lightning

Jan 31, 2001, 3:18:34 PM1/31/01
Doctor Morpheus wrote:
>> cats are very wise.
>This is very curiously true. Some aspects of their intelligence are
>trully fascinating.

well, "wisdom" and "intelligence" are not exactly the same
thing. but cats *are* highly intelligent, unquestionably.

>When I was in chicago, one day as I was watching a formula race or
>something such, my male was following the images of the cars on the big
>screen tv that was lying on the floor, sitting on his back legs. The
>camera followed 3 or 4 cars and eventually it regressed, forcing the car
>images to slide out of view to the left. The male nonchallantly walked
>towards the left side of the tv box and curiously was trying to figure
>out where the little cars went, looking behind it.
>I guess this shows that a cat's visual stimulus is not quite 2D.

my Loki (who is a former male) is not allowed outdoors.
naturally, being a cat, he *wants* to go out, and he will
often stand by a door and meow loudly, or even sometimes
come to where a human is, meow till he has the human's
attention, then *lead* the human to the door, making his
desire clear with more meowing and such clues as looking
back and forth between the human and the door, or pawing
at the door. i have also seem him attempt to open doors
and windows himself. now, these all require different
physical maneuvers to open - a window has to be slid
upwards, a regular door has a knob that must be turned,
the patio door has a latch that must be slid down while
sliding the whole door sideways, and the front door has
a thumb latch. i've seen Loki attempt to operate all of
these doors, in ways that make it obvious that he clearly
understands *what* physical motions they require - it's
just that he has no thumbs, and his paw-pads are too smooth
for him to turn a doorknob.

if cats had opposable thumbs, *they'd* be the dominant
species on this planet...

Kate Orman

Jan 31, 2001, 4:19:06 PM1/31/01
Diagram:

. | O

The Key:

At left: Inkling, a newly arrived kitten the size of a punctuation mark,
arching, hissing, threatening lawsuits etc

At centre: glass door

At right: Mog, a long time resident of the neighbourhood and verified Cat
Without Gorm, staring cheerfully in through the glass and thinking, "What
*iz* that littul thang? Iz that a *cat*?" etc

Kate Orman

Jan 31, 2001, 4:22:25 PM1/31/01
In article <3A787319...@monmouth.com>,
Ace Lightning <acelig...@monmouth.com> wrote:

>well, "wisdom" and "intelligence" are not exactly the same
>thing.

Oh, like "charisma" and "comeliness". (Cats have both, natch.)

__

Kate Orman <kor...@zip.com.au> | http://www.zip.com.au/~korman/
The member for Vacuoles

Kate Orman

Jan 31, 2001, 4:23:28 PM1/31/01
In article <959aqd$eaa$1...@panix3.panix.com>,

Scott Dorsey <klu...@panix.com> wrote:
>Louise R. Howard <god...@crystal.palace.net> wrote:
>>I heard Loki
>>batting the phone and purring at it.
>>I conversed with Loki for about 15 minutes.
>>
>>He was just what I needed.
>
>1-900-DIAL-CAT
>
>I see a great need.

"Dial now. You'll get a great knead."

Ace Lightning

Jan 31, 2001, 4:31:16 PM1/31/01
Kate Orman wrote:
>>well, "wisdom" and "intelligence" are not exactly the same
>>thing.
>Oh, like "charisma" and "comeliness". (Cats have both, natch.)

as well as agility, speed, and a constantly shifting array of
magical abilities.

most cats are far too clever to play RPG's, though.

Ace Lightning

Jan 31, 2001, 4:32:09 PM1/31/01
Kate Orman wrote:
>>>I conversed with Loki for about 15 minutes.
>>>He was just what I needed.
>>1-900-DIAL-CAT
>>I see a great need.
>"Dial now. You'll get a great knead."

has a cat of your acquaintance figured out how to
do that over the phone now?

sir rick the cockroach

Jan 31, 2001, 5:01:27 PM1/31/01
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:31:16 GMT, Ace Lightning
<acelig...@monmouth.com> wrote:

>Kate Orman wrote:
>>>well, "wisdom" and "intelligence" are not exactly the same
>>>thing.
>>Oh, like "charisma" and "comeliness". (Cats have both, natch.)
>
>as well as agility, speed, and a constantly shifting array of
>magical abilities.

Of course, all of that disapears when you place a strip of masking
tape on it's forehead and let it dangle between it's eyes.

This is my .sig. Witty, non?

Kate Orman

Feb 1, 2001, 7:25:03 AM2/1/01
In article <3A788458...@monmouth.com>,

Ace Lightning <acelig...@monmouth.com> wrote:
>Kate Orman wrote:

>>>1-900-DIAL-CAT
>>>I see a great need.

>>"Dial now. You'll get a great knead."

>has a cat of your acquaintance figured out how to do that over the phone
>now?

"I'm pushing my paws against your thigh... my claws are going in... out...
in... out..."

Ace Lightning

Feb 1, 2001, 3:02:51 PM2/1/01
Kate Orman wrote:
>>>"Dial now. You'll get a great knead."
>>has a cat of your acquaintance figured out how to do that
>>over the phone now?
>"I'm pushing my paws against your thigh... my claws are going in...
>out... in... out..."

ooohh.... purrrrrrrrrr.....

LAW

Feb 1, 2001, 3:47:32 PM2/1/01

"Ace Lightning" <acelig...@monmouth.com> wrote in message

> if cats had opposable thumbs, *they'd* be the dominant
> species on this planet...

one of my greatest fears is that my cats will learn how to make fire some
day while i'm away. i know they are capable...
--
spirit shaman girl
bringer of weather and wildlife

Ace Lightning

Feb 1, 2001, 3:55:01 PM2/1/01
LAW wrote:
>>if cats had opposable thumbs, *they'd* be the dominant
>>species on this planet...
>one of my greatest fears is that my cats will learn how to make
>fire some day while i'm away. i know they are capable...

just be glad that lighters are nearly impossible to work
without thumbs... and hope that none of your feline associates
are natural pyrokinetics...

>spirit shaman girl
>bringer of weather and wildlife
>free estimates

nice .sig...

LAW

Feb 1, 2001, 4:12:18 PM2/1/01
> LAW wrote:

> just be glad that lighters are nearly impossible to work
> without thumbs... and hope that none of your feline >associates are
natural pyrokinetics...

"Look, you, look! When the sun comes through the window juuuust right...
Quick! Push the magnifying glass to the edge of the coffee table, here!"

i sometimes come home to my possessions being oddly re-arranged.

i think they also may be trying to learn how to read. this worries me as
much as the fire. thank goodness again for the limitations of being
thumbless...though with a little practice, a tail *could* turn a page. oh
great. how many hours left at work? must. get. home. soon.

> >spirit shaman girl
> >bringer of weather and wildlife
> >free estimates
>
> nice .sig...

thanks! there's even a t.b oldbie story behind it...
but it'll cost you.

Ace Lightning

Feb 1, 2001, 4:39:37 PM2/1/01
LAW wrote:
>>just be glad that lighters are nearly impossible to work
>>without thumbs... and hope that none of your feline associates are
>>natural pyrokinetics...
>"Look, you, look! When the sun comes through the window juuuust right...
>Quick! Push the magnifying glass to the edge of the coffee table, here!"

good thing i don't own a magnifying glass...

>i sometimes come home to my possessions being oddly re-arranged.

in my home, *everyone's* possessions are oddly rearranged
on a random but daily basis. and, of course, any time anyone
hears a clank, crash, or other suspicious noise, it's usually
followed by the sound of a four-footed creature dashing madly
away from the mayhem. and i haven't been able to accept a gift
of flowers for birthday, anniversary, or Valentine, since i
can't remember when.

>i think they also may be trying to learn how to read. this worries me as
>much as the fire. thank goodness again for the limitations of being
>thumbless...though with a little practice, a tail *could* turn a page. oh
>great. how many hours left at work? must. get. home. soon.

hey, at least if they learn to read, they might find out why
it's unwise to use the magnifying glass as you describe.

>>>spirit shaman girl
>>>bringer of weather and wildlife
>>>free estimates
>>nice .sig...
>thanks! there's even a t.b oldbie story behind it...
>but it'll cost you.

name your price...

LAW

Feb 1, 2001, 4:55:21 PM2/1/01

> LAW wrote:

> >"Look, you, look! When the sun comes through the window juuuust right...
> >Quick! Push the magnifying glass to the edge of the coffee table, here!"
>
> good thing i don't own a magnifying glass...

interesting...i was going to block the windows so light couldn't get in, but
now you've got me thinking...

there might be another way!

> >i sometimes come home to my possessions being oddly re-arranged.
>
> in my home, *everyone's* possessions are oddly rearranged
> on a random but daily basis. and, of course, any time anyone
> hears a clank, crash, or other suspicious noise, it's usually
> followed by the sound of a four-footed creature dashing madly
> away from the mayhem. and i haven't been able to accept a gift
> of flowers for birthday, anniversary, or Valentine, since i
> can't remember when.

for one of my feline companions the act of dashing madly occurs immediately
upon exiting the litter box.

"crazy human! don't you *know* there are demons in there??? demons! i swear
it! run like hell!"

> >i think they also may be trying to learn how to read. this worries me as
> >much as the fire. thank goodness again for the limitations of being
> >thumbless...though with a little practice, a tail *could* turn a page. oh
> >great. how many hours left at work? must. get. home. soon.
>
> hey, at least if they learn to read, they might find out why
> it's unwise to use the magnifying glass as you describe.

or worse. though not maliciously intended, they have the *capacity* for
evil. too smart. not enough to do when the humans aren't home. bad
combination.

> >>nice .sig...
> >thanks! there's even a t.b oldbie story behind it...
> >but it'll cost you.
>
> name your price...

hang on, doing the currency conversion into quatloos...

LauryB

Feb 2, 2001, 2:55:39 AM2/2/01

Ace Lightning <acelig...@monmouth.com> simply purrrrrrrrred
Stoppit u2 or yowll get a bucket of cold water poured over yuo

Tomorrow is the lazy people's busiest day