-- Tuesday, 9/211/10 -- FRUITLESS EFFORTS -- 1 Samuel 1:5, 20

J.R. & Bonnie Ricks

Sep 20, 2010, 6:11:37 PM9/20/10
to takea...@googlegroups.com

Take a Minute is a daily devotional ministry of

Dogwood Ministries, Inc.

If you need prayer… contact our partners in ministry…

 SJ Ministries - Ministry of Prayer

Or simply send your request to SJMini...@aol.com

All other requests, please see the end of the devotional

for Dogwood Ministries addresses

FRUITLESS EFFORTS -- 1 Samuel 1:5, 20 NIV

But to Hannah he gave a double portion because he loved her, and the LORD had closed her womb. 1 Samuel 1:5 NIV

So in the course of time Hannah conceived and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, saying, "Because I asked the LORD for him."  1 Samuel 1:20 NIV

Hannah was barren.  "…the LORD had closed her womb."  No matter what she did, she remained barren.  Nothing in her life that was "of man" worked.  Peninnah ridiculed her.  Elkanah couldn't understand why she was upset.  Eli misunderstood her.  And her own efforts still left her childless.  Every effort was fruitless.  Until she turned to God in prayer.

So many times you and I feel like we're at a standstill.  We're doing everything we can to make things happen, but we're at a dead end.  Nothing works, no matter what we try.  We feel like we ought to be covered with bruises from all the brick walls we keep running into.  Even in ministry for the Lord this can happen.  A person you've prayed for and witnessed to for years seems not to have moved an inch in the Lord's direction.  A ministry you're absolutely certain that God called you to seems to be stymied and has not grown an inch.

What did Hannah do?  She turned to the Lord with sincere and honest prayer.  She poured her heart out to Him.  In fact, her prayer was so fervent, Eli thought she was drunk!  But that prayer opened the door for Hannah to have the child she longed for so desperately.  Sincere communication with God Almighty was the key to ending her childless days.  You should notice that she did not return to Ramathaim and suddenly find herself pregnant.  The scripture says that "... in the course of time..." she conceived and bore Samuel.

The point is – our God wants your prayers.  He wants to hear from you daily on a sincere and personal level.  He wants you to come to Him with all your thoughts, all your desires, all your needs – and especially, with all your love.  Not just when you have a problem… with all things… at all times… in sincerity and honesty and love and a willingness to accept His will.  You never know… It could be - just as it was with Hannah - that may be all He is waiting for.

Donations to Dogwood Ministries:  http://www.dogwoodministries.org

Personal correspondence to Bonnie Ricks:  bon...@dogwoodministries.org

Personal correspondence to J.R. Ricks: j...@dogwoodministries.org

image001.jpg