Welsh 2.0

Luistxo (Tagzania)

Oct 31, 2006, 3:04:52 AM10/31/06
to tagz...@googlegroups.com
A recent reference about Tagzania in Wales:

http://www.pingwales.co.uk/2006/10/27/Tagzania.html

We read there:

Web-savvy Welsh speakers are volunteering translation skills and some digital hwyl to help stake out the new wave of Web 2.0 services for the mother tongue.

Key sections of Tagzania, which lets users create and share map mash-ups with custom markers organised by tags, were recently translated into Welsh; now the site is also being used to publish Welsh-language cartographies of domestic and world locations.

"I translated it myself in about an hour," said Rhys Wynne, business officer at the Menter Iaith Caerffili language initiative, who localised core navigation and other elements for the Basque Country-based site in his spare time.

"l was reluctant to commit myself to something too big, but Tagzania's Luisxto Fernandex convinced me there wasn't a lot of work involved and, once he sent me the files, I saw it was quite easy."

They don't spell my name quite correctly, but at least the name of our Welsh contributor and Tagzanian user Rhys is well. Being Basque myself, this article makes me proud, seeing that another minority language can have some service in their language...

Rhys puts the article in context here: http://smilingunderbuses.blogspot.com/2006/10/wynne20.html

Anyone wants another language in Tagzania? It's easy, and it may give you celebrity status in your local 2.0 scene, as it has with Rhys ;-)

Luistxo Fernandez - Tagzania