Changing hosting again

Luca Bruno

May 22, 2009, 5:48:29 PM5/22/09
to syx-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I've uploaded the new version of the website on http://syx.netsons.org, with
fixed images and so on.
Unfortunately netsons.org started adding propaganda over the website, for
each page, which leads the navigation to be very boring.

I'm going to move all the syx platform to berlios.de. After all, I always
used it and never bothered me. In my opinion it's the more stable and
efficient free hosting out there.
Actually, we'll use berlios.de for the website and the downloads. The other
services will stay on their current providers as they're more user-friendly
than berlios.
This will happen very soon this week.

Any hints? What about the website? Any better hosting?

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards,

--
http://syx.googlecode.com - Smalltalk YX
http://lethalman.blogspot.com - Thoughts about computer technologies

signature.asc

Krzysztof Kowalczyk

May 22, 2009, 9:05:59 PM5/22/09
to syx-d...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Luca Bruno <letha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going to move all the syx platform to berlios.de. After all, I always
> used it and never bothered me. In my opinion it's the more stable and
> efficient free hosting out there.
> Actually, we'll use berlios.de for the website and the downloads. The other
> services will stay on their current providers as they're more user-friendly
> than berlios.
> This will happen very soon this week.
>
> Any hints? What about the website? Any better hosting?

I can recommend Google's App Engine. Their free quota is big enough
for decently popular web sites, you can treat is a pure static html
site or add more advanced features with their sever-side python
processing. I've been using it for hosting http://forums.fofou.org/
for almost a year and my blog (http://blog.kowalczyk.info/) for
several months. It's free, it works, it's easy to update - I wrote
more about it at
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/article/App-Engine-as-generic-web-host.html

Krzysztof Kowalczyk

Luca Bruno

May 23, 2009, 4:46:29 AM5/23/09
to syx-d...@googlegroups.com

It says "Read about using appcfg.py to upload and deploy one." in the
dashboard but appcfgpy.html doesn't exist. This demonstrates again (after
SVN) that google is not such reliable. The only reason I'd like to port syx
to berlios is the 100% reliability of the service.
Another reason is that berlios offers cgi, so I was thinking it was possible
to run syx in there, but I'm not sure of.

Anyway I'll wait a couple of days.

signature.asc

ZuLuuuuuu

May 23, 2009, 5:53:34 PM5/23/09
to Syx general discussion
Will it be something like berlios.de/project_name?

Although I've never used BerliOS before, I guess relying on a big
project hosting site like it might be a good idea. It would be even
better if it let us do it with CGI scripting in Syx. Though I don't
know anything about what other hosting features BerliOS provides.

Since I don't contribute to the project much, I can't have much to say
but just an opinion: this might be a chance to transfer the whole
project to another project hosting site which provides complete
solutions like BerliOS, Sourceforge or Savannah so that everything is
in one place instead of using different urls for web site, code
hosting, mailing list etc... I guess most project hosting sites now
provide GIT support (at least the ones I counted above).

Currently:

http://repo.or.cz/w/syx.git - For code hosting
http://code.google.com/p/syx - For bug tracking
http://syx.netsons.org - For web hosting

Pretty messy isn't it :)

On May 23, 11:46 am, Luca Bruno <lethalma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 06:05:59PM -0700, Krzysztof Kowalczyk wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Luca Bruno <lethalma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm going to move all the syx platform to berlios.de. After all, I always
> > > used it and never bothered me. In my opinion it's the more stable and
> > > efficient free hosting out there.
> > > Actually, we'll use berlios.de for the website and the downloads. The other
> > > services will stay on their current providers as they're more user-friendly
> > > than berlios.
> > > This will happen very soon this week.
>
> > > Any hints? What about the website? Any better hosting?
>
> > I can recommend Google's App Engine. Their free quota is big enough
> > for decently popular web sites, you can treat is a pure static html
> > site or add more advanced features with their sever-side python
> > processing. I've been using it for hostinghttp://forums.fofou.org/
> > for almost a year and my blog (http://blog.kowalczyk.info/) for
> > several months. It's free, it works, it's easy to update - I wrote
> > more about it at
> >http://blog.kowalczyk.info/article/App-Engine-as-generic-web-host.html
>
> It says "Read about using appcfg.py to upload and deploy one." in the
> dashboard but appcfgpy.html doesn't exist. This demonstrates again (after
> SVN) that google is not such reliable. The only reason I'd like to port syx
> to berlios is the 100% reliability of the service.
> Another reason is that berlios offers cgi, so I was thinking it was possible
> to run syx in there, but I'm not sure of.
>
> Anyway I'll wait a couple of days.
>
> --http://syx.googlecode.com- Smalltalk YXhttp://lethalman.blogspot.com- Thoughts about computer technologieshttp://www.debian.org- The Universal Operating System
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Luca Bruno

May 23, 2009, 6:17:40 PM5/23/09
to syx-d...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 02:53:34PM -0700, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Will it be something like berlios.de/project_name?
>
> Although I've never used BerliOS before, I guess relying on a big
> project hosting site like it might be a good idea. It would be even
> better if it let us do it with CGI scripting in Syx. Though I don't
> know anything about what other hosting features BerliOS provides.
>
> Since I don't contribute to the project much, I can't have much to say
> but just an opinion: this might be a chance to transfer the whole
> project to another project hosting site which provides complete
> solutions like BerliOS, Sourceforge or Savannah so that everything is
> in one place instead of using different urls for web site, code
> hosting, mailing list etc... I guess most project hosting sites now
> provide GIT support (at least the ones I counted above).
>
> Currently:
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/syx.git - For code hosting
> http://code.google.com/p/syx - For bug tracking
> http://syx.netsons.org - For web hosting
>
> Pretty messy isn't it :)

The website URL will be syx.berlios.de.
And... yes, it's definitely messed up :)
The idea is to transfer everything to berlios
as it has mailing lists, git and the bug tracker. I'll port the current git
hosting to berlios as soon as I can, while the ML and the bug tracking can
stay there for both "compat" and user-friendness. In other words, syx is
currently known to be on googlecode, so for the next 2-3 releases we
can't completely drop google.
And think syx wouldn't have been such publicized and active (in the past
months) if it was first-released on berlios, so google gave a good sprint
for propaganda in my opinion.

signature.asc

Luca Bruno

May 23, 2009, 6:30:27 PM5/23/09
to syx-d...@googlegroups.com
Another reason for swithing git to berlios is that they allow to create git
hooks. Actually I send email updates to syx-commit with a simple script and
emailing CIA after each local commit. That wouldn't happen anymore with
server-side hooks.
signature.asc

ZuLuuuuuu

May 24, 2009, 2:34:26 AM5/24/09
to Syx general discussion
It is certainly true that Google Code is more user friendly. I wish
GitHub had more features, because it is the most user friendly (and
actually the only beautiful) project hosting site I've ever seen :)

The main thing I don't like about Google services is that they require
you to use Google email for the most of the time (they allow you to be
a member of a Google Group with a custom mail address but it was
problematic last time I tried that). So people think that I'm using my
Google email actively and send mail to there instead of my real email
address :) That's was the main reason why I started to move my
projects away from Google Code.

On May 24, 1:17 am, Luca Bruno <lethalma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 02:53:34PM -0700, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
>
> > Will it be something like berlios.de/project_name?
>
> > Although I've never used BerliOS before, I guess relying on a big
> > project hosting site like it might be a good idea. It would be even
> > better if it let us do it with CGI scripting in Syx. Though I don't
> > know anything about what other hosting features BerliOS provides.
>
> > Since I don't contribute to the project much, I can't have much to say
> > but just an opinion: this might be a chance to transfer the whole
> > project to another project hosting site which provides complete
> > solutions like BerliOS, Sourceforge or Savannah so that everything is
> > in one place instead of using different urls for web site, code
> > hosting, mailing list etc... I guess most project hosting sites now
> > provide GIT support (at least the ones I counted above).
>
> > Currently:
>
> >http://repo.or.cz/w/syx.git- For code hosting
> >http://code.google.com/p/syx- For bug tracking
> >http://syx.netsons.org- For web hosting
>
> > Pretty messy isn't it :)
>
> The website URL will be syx.berlios.de.
> And... yes, it's definitely messed up :)
> The idea is to transfer everything to berlios
> as it has mailing lists, git and the bug tracker. I'll port the current git
> hosting to berlios as soon as I can, while the ML and the bug tracking can
> stay there for both "compat" and user-friendness. In other words, syx is
> currently known to be on googlecode, so for the next 2-3 releases we
> can't completely drop google.
> And think syx wouldn't have been such publicized and active (in the past
> months) if it was first-released on berlios, so google gave a good sprint
> for propaganda in my opinion.

Luca Bruno

May 28, 2009, 5:56:09 PM5/28/09
to syx-d...@googlegroups.com
The migration has happened, you can find the homepage at http://syx.berlios.de.
Also the GIT repository has been migrated and I've added a couple of hooks
for announcing commits in the syx-commit ML.
If nobody is contrary to this choice, I'll officialize the migration
tomorrow.
IMPORTANT: for the members of syx which are registered in googlecode,
and for those who want to contribute, please ask me for commit access.

[PS, some news from the object branch]
You know the object branch contains a new object structure, a new memory
management and therefore a new garbage collector. It's still under heavily
development but currently works good enough to be merged in the next release.
Things do get done are:
- Port the new memory management to windows
- Test processes serialization in the image, much critical
- Object finalization
- Improve get_class() performance
- Fix object/pointer recognizing

Objects are now allocated in a huge data stack instead of get malloc'd. The
garbage collector does mark and compact. Contributed code is welcome in
order to get the above things done for the next release.

signature.asc

ZuLuuuuuu

May 29, 2009, 2:34:26 AM5/29/09
to Syx general discussion
Looks good.

A small note: http://syx.berlios.de/sources.html has some links to the
old repository under "Obtain the sources" section.

On May 29, 12:56 am, Luca Bruno <lethalma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The migration has happened, you can find the homepage athttp://syx.berlios.de.
> Also the GIT repository has been migrated and I've added a couple of hooks
> for announcing commits in the syx-commit ML.
> If nobody is contrary to this choice, I'll officialize the migration
> tomorrow.
> IMPORTANT: for the members of syx which are registered in googlecode,
> and for those who want to contribute, please ask me for commit access.
>
> [PS, some news from the object branch]
> You know the object branch contains a new object structure, a new memory
> management and therefore a new garbage collector. It's still under heavily
> development but currently works good enough to be merged in the next release.
> Things do get done are:
> - Port the new memory management to windows
> - Test processes serialization in the image, much critical
> - Object finalization
> - Improve get_class() performance
> - Fix object/pointer recognizing
>
> Objects are now allocated in a huge data stack instead of get malloc'd. The
> garbage collector does mark and compact. Contributed code is welcome in
> order to get the above things done for the next release.

Michael Heinrich

May 29, 2009, 1:24:47 PM5/29/09
to syx-d...@googlegroups.com
I second that!

Another small note: the date on the home page states "at: 20 August 2008". Possibly we can update the date to a newer one?

Michael