liver

Paola Di Maio

Mar 7, 2016, 7:21:04 AM3/7/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for not changing the subject line in the previous reply to group
Getting difficult to read the replies, since nobody bothers trimming the posts :-)

Just a few more thoughts from reading the thread

- well, I d agree that the liver may not be that clearcut example, because as people say ou can take a liver and put it in a machine with appropriate I/O and may work, but without the context the liver doesnt have much of a purpose

- I guess the point I am trying to make is that from a socio technical systems viewpoint, whatever the system needs to function, must be within the boundary of the system.  (no problem if folks disagree)

- The example of taking the animal on the table on the moon works fine here: the environmental conditions, such as air, pressure, temperature, are all part of the system, if they impact the ability of the same to deliver its capability

= yes Mike Dee a system is a system, but the distinction I make (which works for me) and which I have not seen addressed in the thread is the importance of
open systems vs closed systems.
a closed system has everything that it needs to function within its boundary, and its dynamic equilibrium is regulated by some control mechamism )think of an aquarium, which needs certain supply of oxygen and temperature to keep the fish alive, these are all pre programmed)  But open systems, must self regulate via mechamisms of physical lawas (such as thermodynamics laws etc)

-  I make the choice to model a (closed) system as a self contained unit capable of delivery a function/capability,  and to consider an SOS a system made up of more than one system, affording a new capability altogether

=  Can you plese provide a reference for who says that a SOS exists when the systems is made of do not afford their original capabliity ??(not sure I read that right)  I would disagree with that , but I woud accept that maybe there are more than one type of SOS, in which case what you describe may be one type of SOS based on one definition only

= Bottom line:  its all about deifinitions and boundary settings, which is an exercise in ontological modelling. I joineds this group with the intent to help evise a systems ontology (an ontology of systems?) maybe the world still needs that?

Many greetings

PDM

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 5:07 PM, <syss...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
joseph simpson <jjs...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 08:43AM -0800

Yiannis:

Excellent... can you elaborate on the competition purpose, form and content?

No apologies needed... everyone is very busy..

We appreciate your involvement and participation.

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe

--
Joe Simpson
“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people

Team:

During our last Structural Modeling video conference, Kevin Dye raised a
number of interesting questions relating to the current form and content of
our structuring modeling work. In essence these questions relate to the
history of structural modeling and the types of work developed by certain
individuals in the past.

I sent out three very early papers related to structural modeling. Two
papers from the early 1960's written by Donald V. Steward and one paper
from the early 1970's written by John N. Warfield who referenced Steward's
earlier work. These papers and a few others from this early era may be a
good place to start the evaluation of structural modeling matrix
techniques. We will see where the team would like to go in this area.

Attached is our first cut a outlining an Adaptive Total Strict Partial
Order (ATSPO) structural modeling approach. This approach includes much of
the work by Warfield with the methods further developed, interfaces better
defined and some missing connections filled in, where necessary, to support
this specific work.

The plan is to continue to develop this draft as the current web
application work continues.

Please let us know if you have any comments, questions and/or concerns.

Take care, be good to yourself and have fun,

Joe

--
Joe Simpson
“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people
attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends
on unreasonable people.”
George Bernard Shaw
joseph simpson <jjs...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 07:58PM -0800

Team:

I have attached an updated document that contains the required Figure.

Take care and have fun,

--
Joe Simpson
“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people
attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends
on unreasonable people.”
George Bernard Shaw
"Mike Dee" <mdee...@gmail.com>: Mar 06 06:39PM -0500

Len:

If you are attempting to come up with a generalized theory (say SoS, etc) then it has to be valid across fields, eh? In Wymore, there is no distinction between whether a “Technology Constraint” represents a set of hardware, software, function, nut, bolt, human role, or human individual. A “Technology Constraint” is merely a restriction on what the system implementation may consist of. If I design a human based “SoS”, and define that a role exists in the that will become part of the SoS, then we have a function based Constraint. If you are more specific and say something like “Fred will do [something]” then the Technology Constraint is on the implementation itself.

Either way, SoS places constraints on what you may build your system from (forgive the English), whether people, rabbits, or GPS satellites. Still, I see no purpose for the SoS distinction, and maintain that Wymore’s definitions cover everything you are chatting about. A system is a system, or am I wrong?

Mar 7, 2016, 9:08:42 AM3/7/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Paola:  if you have a closed socio technical system then that implies that your system has no context, ergo no interaction with anything else. Therefore no perturbances from external sources are possible.  Can you identify any such socio technical system?

Sent from my iPhone

Jack Ring

Mar 7, 2016, 9:24:58 AM3/7/16
to Sys Sci
If one can be identified you better hurry — because it can’t breath.

Mike Dee

Mar 7, 2016, 12:33:09 PM3/7/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
The idea of closed systems is convenient for making closed form academic solutions possible, (like adiabatic compression for example) for putting bounds on an estimate, but again is limited in usefulness. All models are wrong (particularly closed system assumptions) but some are useful for making decisions.

Sent from my iPhone

Paola Di Maio

Mar 10, 2016, 7:28:29 AM3/10/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

>>MD Therefore no perturbances from external sources are possible. Can you >>>identify any such socio technical system?

I may have expressed incorrectly

Assume an extended system  with a boundary, that includes the techniical, social and environment.  What I purport (and happy to defend) is that
the technical capability can only be delivered if the human aspects and environmental aspects are also modelled as part of the system

So people or other social element,  oxygen, temperature, other factors should be modelled  as part of the system if they essential for the system to deliver its intended capability

to me its obvious, and rather simple. but please tell me whats wrong with my worldview.

SOS
regarding the usefulness vs redundancy of the term SOS, I think it convesy a different meaning from S alone

S, is a given set capable of delivering a function/capability

SOS is a set of sets capable of delivering a function/capability that S alone cannot perform

Do S and SOS behave in the same way?
It depends, imho, whether they are closed or open , I think

if S and SOS are both closed, then they behave similarly/same

if they are both open, then probably not (because their number and tyes of interactions are likely to differ)

doesnt sound too wild an hypothesis to me, but still an hypothesis til I run some experiments

no?

PDM

Paola Di Maio <paola....@gmail.com>: Mar 07 05:51PM +0530
Mike Dee <mdee...@gmail.com>: Mar 07 09:08AM -0500

Paola: if you have a closed socio technical system then that implies that your system has no context, ergo no interaction with anything else. Therefore no perturbances from external sources are possible. Can you identify any such socio technical system?

Sent from my iPhone

Jack Ring <jri...@gmail.com>: Mar 07 07:24AM -0700

If one can be identified you better hurry — because it can’t breath.

Mike Dee <mdee...@gmail.com>: Mar 07 12:33PM -0500

The idea of closed systems is convenient for making closed form academic solutions possible, (like adiabatic compression for example) for putting bounds on an estimate, but again is limited in usefulness. All models are wrong (particularly closed system assumptions) but some are useful for making decisions.

Sent from my iPhone

MDSE

Mar 10, 2016, 8:18:09 AM3/10/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
I think the idea of the closed system needs specification.  I'm not sure that there can be a truly closed system except that the observer (the person who defines what the system is and does) can ignore interactions with the exterior and simply declare the system to be closed.   I accept (graciously of course) your clarification of  socio technical systems.  Now I know!  Thx

Sent from my iPhone
--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

Lenard Troncale

Mar 10, 2016, 2:16:09 PM3/10/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

We in SPT have been saying this for many years. Unless the observer finds it useful to artificially "close" the system, all systems are open. This is often presented as "controlling the variables" for reductionist research to be successful.

It is quite interesting historically that Ludwig von Bertalanffy (founder of general systems approaches) got a lot of attention and approbation for even pointing out that there were open systems (to some degree Prigogine's Nobel Prize was for that too, in chemistry).

For many years it was very useful in science to imagine and work on closed systems. It was the beginning of many important formulae which require an "ideal" systems to calculate to discover the relationships between the key parameters. One could read "ideal" as "closed" in many cases. The ideal gas law came out of it. And so on. Now in the era of open and complex systems, we are trying to figure out other new and powerful patterns. So closed is going by the wayside except when it is useful in several reductionist and engineering special cases, as it will always have to be.

Len

Mike Dee

Mar 10, 2016, 5:34:07 PM3/10/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Len:  That’s good to know.   In engineering (as in science I would suppose) we must be very careful of what we leave out of system models.   My concern is the purposeful abuse of half-baked models for use in moving public opinion (i.e. politics).   For this we depend upon the honest of scientists (and engineers of course), and I’m not sure the record is all that good.

Sigh…

Mar 11, 2016, 6:57:08 AM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:11 PM, <syss...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
MDSE <michael....@gmail.com>: Mar 10 08:18AM -0500

I think the idea of the closed system needs specification.

If I remember correctly, the notion of open and closed system is well defined
in literature

there should be references here,

or here

(*  I researched this long time ago its goint to take me time to retrieve my author copy of this paper but if someone wants it desperately I can dig it up somewhere)

Yes, models are notional, and yes, closed and open are not necessarily discrete but fuzzy notions

The metaphore I use to distinguish closed vs open is indeed the aquarium vs the open waters,
where regulation of the variables does not take place naturally but by some engineered control mechanism as Len says

I am sure there are exceptions

PDM

Lenard Troncale <lrtro...@cpp.edu>: Mar 10 07:16PM

Mike Dee <mdee...@gmail.com<mailto:mdee...@gmail.com>>: Mar 07 09:08AM -0500

Paola: if you have a closed socio technical system then that implies that your system has no context, ergo no interaction with anything else. Therefore no perturbances from external sources are possible. Can you identify any such socio technical system?

Sent from my iPhone

Jack Ring <jri...@gmail.com<mailto:jri...@gmail.com>>: Mar 07 07:24AM -0700

If one can be identified you better hurry — because it can’t breath.

Mike Dee <mdee...@gmail.com<mailto:mdee...@gmail.com>>: Mar 07 12:33PM -0500

The idea of closed systems is convenient for making closed form academic solutions possible, (like adiabatic compression for example) for putting bounds on an estimate, but again is limited in usefulness. All models are wrong (particularly closed system assumptions) but some are useful for making decisions.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top<x-msg://7/#436773386_digest_top>
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page<https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/syssciwg/join>.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/syssciwg.

The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---
<x-msg://7/#436773386_digest_top> Back to top

You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/syssciwg/join> group membership page.

Steven Krane

Mar 11, 2016, 8:11:45 AM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Is a pond made by a beaver an engineered control mechanism or takes place naturally?

MDSE

Mar 11, 2016, 8:38:32 AM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Anything in the physical realm, whether it was created by man or not is a part of reality.   This differentiates man's conceptualization (models) from the real world; theory from reality.  I find the term "natural" to be misleading.  If a beaver builds a dam is it natural?  If people build a dam ( say to catch fish for primal tribesmen) is it natural?   If people build a dam to generate electricity is it natural?   Is mans propensity for making tools natural?  Does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone

MDSE

Mar 11, 2016, 8:41:02 AM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
The notions of open and closed are well worn conceptualizations.   Use where useful, but beware.  At the root of all mistakes will be lurking the assumptions.

Sent from my iPhone

Steven Krane

Mar 11, 2016, 8:50:19 AM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
As are natural and artificial.  Perhaps the distinction is more interesting if you believe people came into this world rather than out of it.  I recognize beavers as kin. :)

MDSE

Mar 11, 2016, 11:45:11 AM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone

Lenard Troncale

Mar 11, 2016, 1:47:05 PM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. From a biologists point of view the following....

Anything a beaver, or even army ants, or colonial termites make is natural because it is made by a natural entity. Presumably evolution has very strongly selected for that which is made by them by eliminating many other alternatives as they arose. This ensures that at least for the near term, such innovations are fit within the environment. Until the environment changes which it usually does in the very long term.

But then why make a distinction for humans? We have evolved also. We are natural entities. Why wouldn't anything we make be burdened with the term "artificial" than any other thing made by a tool- using social organism? Persons focusing only on these aspects would see the natural vs artificial controversy as empty and unnecessary.

Now, I did not make up that distinctions but do use it often. All human systems, including our socio-economic and socio-political institutions I consider immature artefacts. In fact, it was Nobel Laureate Herbert Simon, in whose honor NECSI grants an annual award, and whose famous book was titled, "Sciences of the Artificial" who first popularized use of the term.

Perhaps it is because scientists realize that anything man makes can be engineered so quickly that it is not subject to natural selection and evolution at first and then not even for a very long time afterward if at all. So products that reflect more greed than adaptation to context, more arrogance than fit within natural parameters, surround our civilization. This might give some meaning to artificial. Further, the distinction might lead to a regime in which prescription and values become an important part of the process, recycling and fit in environment and cost:benefit an important part of the process in addition to making a buck.

Len

Jack Ring

Mar 11, 2016, 3:34:30 PM3/11/16
to Sys Sci
If a beaver builds a dam to irritate beavers downstream is that natural (or political)?

Jack Ring

Mar 11, 2016, 3:54:59 PM3/11/16
to Sys Sci
On Mar 11, 2016, at 11:46 AM, Lenard Troncale <lrtro...@cpp.edu> wrote:

Anything a beaver, or even army ants, or colonial termites make is natural because it is made by a natural entity.

Then when a human comes along and labels it ‘system’ that label is artificial.
I have asked many beavers, ants and termites none of which had ‘system’ in their vocabulary.
Do not confuse the map with the territory.
Only humans invent Gods and ‘systems.'

MDSE

Mar 11, 2016, 6:58:44 PM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
So in good humor but quite seriously I don't understand the need for the term 'natural'.  But does that make man "unnatural"?  I can understand the differentiating term "man made" but that has nothing to do with nature or not-nature.  Ain't this fun!

Sent from my iPhone

Aleksandar Malečić

Mar 11, 2016, 8:09:00 PM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com
It can't be resolved without at least mentioning what we think about reality we are a part of: do we have free will, are we deterministic, are we purposeful and why.

Aleksandar

Mike Dee

Mar 11, 2016, 8:12:43 PM3/11/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Or better yet…  Is it man’s nature to build and modify nature?

Aleksandar Malečić

Mar 12, 2016, 5:54:10 PM3/12/16
to syss...@googlegroups.com

Or possibly, it is nature's nature to build and modify itself.....    seemingly axiomatic

Brian Josephson's "A Structural Theory of Everything" (the title of his paper), David Deutsch's Constructor Theory/Universal Constructor (more papers with or without Chiara Marletto), and Len Troncale's Systems Process Theory are seemingly the same idea expressed three (Does von Bertalanffy make it four?) times about systems going all (or at least a very long) way down. If further elaborated in wrong hands, the outcome would be a mess that no one would want to publish.

Aleksandar

Jack Ring

Mar 15, 2016, 3:50:24 AM3/15/16
to Sys Sci