Undergraduate Computer Engineering Student (introductory post + some questions)

Gregory Ksionda

Mar 28, 2011, 3:37:02 AM3/28/11
to sympy
First off, hey all. Got into the GSoC process a bit late, but hoping
to learn a lot and get into the open source scene regardless of what
happens with my GSoC efforts.

My name is Gregory Ksionda and I'm a junior undergraduate at the
University of Arizona studying computer engineering. I have taken the
token basic computer language intro classes (one in C and one in
Java), and have gotten some introduction to algorithms and such. I
have also taken Vector Calculus, ODE/PDE differential equations, and
Math for Engineers (which was basically differential equations using
complex numbers and matrices). As far as python experience goes, I
took a material science engineering class that used python for use in
solving various engineering math problems. The class went from
balancing chemical formulas to basic RLC circuit analysis to some
thermodynamics, with some math review on the side (differential
equations and how python does them).

So, I had a lot of fun with the python class, and after looking
through the GSoC projects here, being a part of the development of a
python math library sounds like a lot of fun to me. However, all my
experience thus far is purely academic, and so I am not sure exactly
what I am capable of doing as of yet. I have read through a lot of
material in the last couple days, and am a little bit at a loss of
where to start.

Talking with the community seems the best first step, so once again
hello all, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you give me.

Andy Ray Terrel

Mar 28, 2011, 1:29:54 PM3/28/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com, Gregory Ksionda
Hello Gregory,

For SymPy the first place to look is at the ideas page [0] and see if
there is a project that interests you. If you have an interest in
doing something that currently isn't implemented that would be a good
project as well. To get started coding, I would take a look at the
developer's guide [1]. If there is something that isn't documented
well enough, look at the tests (inside the test directory of each
source folder).

Also don't forget you need to have a patch submitted via github before
we will accept the application. You can find easy to fix issues at
[2].

-- Andy

[0] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2011-Ideas
[1] http://sympy.org/development.html