One more GSoC Introduction

weralwolf

Mar 22, 2011, 8:17:54 PM3/22/11
to sympy
Hello

I am 3nd year bachelor student of physical faculty of KNU Taras
Shevchenko, Kiev in cosmological physics specialization.

I have experience of: working on Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch, but
currently work with Ubuntu 10.04, solving physical problems, mostly
use C++ and Python. Also for 3.5 years I work as PHP-developer.

I am deeply interested in quantum physics and intent on contributing
to the community even after GSoC ends. I have experience in solving
quantum physics problems and haven good theoretical basics. One of my
ideas to implement calculation quantum corrections in disturbance
theory. But also want to increase functionality on physics module in
SymPy.

Please help me on how to start working for above.

Regards,
Anatolii Koval

Ondrej Certik

Mar 22, 2011, 8:21:01 PM3/22/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com, weralwolf
HI Anatolii,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM, weralwolf <wera...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am 3nd year bachelor student of physical faculty of KNU Taras
> Shevchenko, Kiev in cosmological physics specialization.

Welcome!

> I have experience of: working on Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch, but
> currently work with Ubuntu 10.04, solving physical problems, mostly
> use C++ and Python. Also for 3.5 years I work as PHP-developer.
>
> I am deeply interested in quantum physics and intent on contributing
> to the community even after GSoC ends. I have experience in solving
> quantum physics problems and haven good theoretical basics. One of my
> ideas to implement calculation quantum corrections in disturbance
> theory. But also want to increase functionality on physics module in
> SymPy.

Can you write a few more words about the project? Which disturbance
theory, how the corrections would be calculated and how sympy would be
used, and which features will be improved?

Ondrej

weralwolf

Mar 22, 2011, 8:43:40 PM3/22/11
to sympy
> Can you write a few more words about the project? Which disturbance
> theory, how the corrections would be calculated and how sympy would be
> used, and which features will be improved?
>
> Ondrej
Thanks for questions, Ondrej.
Perturbation theory comprises mathematical methods that are used to
find an approximate solution to a problem which cannot be solved
exactly, by starting from the exact solution of a related problem.
Perturbation theory is applicable if the problem at hand can be
formulated by adding a "small" term to the mathematical description of
the exactly solvable problem. For example if we should calculate
approximation for hydrogen atom in magnetic field using eigenfunctions
and energy levels calculate without field.
Corrections will be calculated due to classic theory through
perturbation matrix elements. More about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perturbation_theory_(quantum_mechanics) .
SymPy will be used as tool set for it, because there implemented large
part of required functionality.
Also I want implement working with creation and annihilation operators
which will be good improvement, cause it simplify many calculations in
quantum theory.
Anatolii

Ondrej Certik

Mar 22, 2011, 9:51:58 PM3/22/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com
HI Anatolii,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM, weralwolf <wera...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you write a few more words about the project? Which disturbance
>> theory, how the corrections would be calculated and how sympy would be
>> used, and which features will be improved?
>>
>> Ondrej
> Thanks for questions, Ondrej.
> Perturbation theory comprises mathematical methods that are used to
> find an approximate solution to a problem which cannot be solved
> exactly, by starting from the exact solution of a related problem.
> Perturbation theory is applicable if the problem at hand can be
> formulated by adding a "small" term to the mathematical description of
> the exactly solvable problem. For example if we should calculate
> approximation for hydrogen atom in magnetic field using eigenfunctions
> and energy levels calculate without field.
> Corrections will be calculated due to classic theory through
> perturbation matrix elements. More about
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perturbation_theory_(quantum_mechanics) .

Oh, I didn't know you meant perturbation theory by "disturbance
theory". I know what perturbation theory is. I even have some notes
here:

http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/quantum/qm.html#systematic-perturbation-theory-in-qm

> SymPy will be used as tool set for it, because there implemented large
> part of required functionality.
> Also I want implement working with creation and annihilation operators
> which will be good improvement, cause it simplify many calculations in
> quantum theory.

There already is some implementation of the annihilation and creating
operators in sympy.physics.quantum, but it surely needs improvements.
Perturbation theory would be really cool, as those calculations are
really tedious to do by hand.

Definitely, I think lots of people would be interested in such a
project. I would suggest you to try to play with the current quantum
module in sympy and then see (in details) what things to improve and
what exact steps would have to be done to implement the perturbation
theory.

Ondrej

Ondrej Certik

Mar 22, 2011, 9:54:36 PM3/22/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> HI Anatolii,
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM, weralwolf <wera...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can you write a few more words about the project? Which disturbance
>>> theory, how the corrections would be calculated and how sympy would be
>>> used, and which features will be improved?
>>>
>>> Ondrej
>> Thanks for questions, Ondrej.
>> Perturbation theory comprises mathematical methods that are used to
>> find an approximate solution to a problem which cannot be solved
>> exactly, by starting from the exact solution of a related problem.
>> Perturbation theory is applicable if the problem at hand can be
>> formulated by adding a "small" term to the mathematical description of
>> the exactly solvable problem. For example if we should calculate
>> approximation for hydrogen atom in magnetic field using eigenfunctions
>> and energy levels calculate without field.
>> Corrections will be calculated due to classic theory through
>> perturbation matrix elements. More about
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perturbation_theory_(quantum_mechanics) .
>
> Oh, I didn't know you meant perturbation theory by "disturbance
> theory". I know what perturbation theory is. I even have some notes
> here:
>
> http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/quantum/qm.html#systematic-perturbation-theory-in-qm

I sent a wrong link, I meant this:

http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/quantum/qm.html#perturbation-theory

>> SymPy will be used as tool set for it, because there implemented large
>> part of required functionality.
>> Also I want implement working with creation and annihilation operators
>> which will be good improvement, cause it simplify many calculations in
>> quantum theory.
>
> There already is some implementation of the annihilation and creating
> operators in sympy.physics.quantum, but it surely needs improvements.
> Perturbation theory would be really cool, as those calculations are
> really tedious to do by hand.
>
> Definitely, I think lots of people would be interested in such a
> project. I would suggest you to try to play with the current quantum
> module in sympy and then see (in details) what things to improve and
> what exact steps would have to be done to implement the perturbation
> theory.

Also, try to do some simple perturbation theory calculation by hand,
using sympy to do the calculations (guiding it by hand) and see if
sympy can handle the integrals and matrices and produce something
useful. Post here the script, and then we can see what features are
missing.

Ondrej

Brian Granger

Mar 23, 2011, 2:44:22 AM3/23/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com, Ondrej Certik
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

Yes, we would be interested in perturbation theory, especially in an
abstract sense, so a wide range of system, from single particle
non-relativistic to many particle rel. could be treated. I would
check out the existing code, especially the second quantization stuff
and see what you think could be done.

Cheers,

Brian

> Ondrej
>
> --

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics
bgra...@calpoly.edu
elli...@gmail.com

Jeron Smuta

Mar 23, 2011, 2:09:42 PM3/23/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I place example code into "GSoC Introduction. Perturbation theory" discussion, cause I can't view this or another discussions posted by my or anyone else after 22.03.11