Proposal: integrate the Create user interface

Henri Bergius

Nov 1, 2011, 10:12:48 AM11/1/11
to symfony-cmf-devs, d...@lists.midgard-project.org
Hi,

As you might know, we at the Midgard Project have recently joined the
Symfony CMF effort. As part of this, we've been working on:

* VIE, the on-site editing framework used in CMF
* Making the Midgard content repository available over PHPCR (https://
github.com/bergie/phpcr-midgard2)
* Porting our old frameworks, MidCOM and Midgard MVC to Symfony2
compatibility bundles
- https://github.com/bergie/MidgardMidcomCompatBundle
- https://github.com/bergie/MidgardMvcCompatBundle
* Porting MidCOM's toolbars service to Symfony2 (https://github.com/
bergie/MidgardToolbarBundle)
* Making sure Symfony2 can be run with AppServer-in-PHP (https://
github.com/bergie/MidgardAppServerBundle)

Once all of these are in production-ready state it should be possible
to run any existing Midgard websites with Symfony2, and also to run
any of the 150+ Midgard components inside your Symfony CMF website.

Now I would like to propose collaboration also on the user interface
level.

Last year we implemented a new kind of CMS user interface for Midgard
called Create, running fully on the browser JavaScript space. The VIE
library that is already usable in CMF was actually a side-effect of
this work. What Create provides is essentially fully-WYSIWYG, form-
free content management with powerful features related to workflow and
versioning.

Here are some posts telling more about Create:
http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/introducing_the_midgard_create_user_interface/
http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/midgard_create_and_vie_in_the_aloha_editor_conference/

The original implementation of Create was quite tightly integrated
into Midgard MVC:
https://github.com/midgardproject/midgardmvc_ui_create

Today I started extracting the actual user interface components from
it and making them generic. The new work can be found from:
https://github.com/bergie/create

Basically my proposal would be to combine this with the VIE and Hallo
work already happening inside Symfony CMF to build a comprehensive
reference/default CMS interface that can be shipped with the rest of
the CMF.

How would this sound?

/Henri

Lukas Kahwe Smith

Nov 1, 2011, 10:38:40 AM11/1/11
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com, d...@lists.midgard-project.org

On Nov 1, 2011, at 15:12 , Henri Bergius wrote:

> Here are some posts telling more about Create:
> http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/introducing_the_midgard_create_user_interface/
> http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/midgard_create_and_vie_in_the_aloha_editor_conference/
>
> The original implementation of Create was quite tightly integrated
> into Midgard MVC:
> https://github.com/midgardproject/midgardmvc_ui_create
>
> Today I started extracting the actual user interface components from
> it and making them generic. The new work can be found from:
> https://github.com/bergie/create
>
> Basically my proposal would be to combine this with the VIE and Hallo
> work already happening inside Symfony CMF to build a comprehensive
> reference/default CMS interface that can be shipped with the rest of
> the CMF.
>
> How would this sound?

Currently we already have some basic level of integration of hallo and VIE in the sandbox. We should merge our work with yours indeed.

As part of this we should work up a REST based API specification for this which will hopefully lead to collaboration with Drupal, TYPO3 etc. I am not sure if in the mean time we should already move this to the symfony-cmf github organization or launch this under the umbrella of a separate organization to maybe make it easier for other CMS to collaborate.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
sm...@pooteeweet.org

Henri Bergius

Nov 1, 2011, 11:02:40 AM11/1/11
to symfony-cmf-devs
Hi,

On Nov 1, 4:38 pm, Lukas Kahwe Smith <sm...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
> Currently we already have some basic level of integration of hallo and VIE in the sandbox. We should merge our work with yours indeed.

That would be great. The Create repository only includes the UI side
of things, and obviously needs server-side integration in form of a
Symfony2 bundle. I think the LiipVieBundle would be the way to go
here.

> As part of this we should work up a REST based API specification for this which will hopefully lead to collaboration with Drupal, TYPO3 etc.

Yes. This should work on two levels:

* REST API specification that any back-end can implement and that
Create supports by default
* Backbone.sync -like possibility of overriding the communications
interface with the back-end so that you can implement some other
protocol. We have for example some projects where all communications
between VIE-managed content and the server happen over WebSockets
instead of REST

The API would at least need to cover:
* Basic CRUD operations on content objects (including getting
collections of objects). This is now covered by Backbone.sync
* File attachments and links (I've been thinking of Web Intents here,
but it is probably now too early for that)
* Workflows (getting list of workflows applicable to a content object,
running a workflow)
* Revision history of an object (history list, fetching older
versions)

> I am not sure if in the mean time we should already move this to the symfony-cmf github organization or launch this under the umbrella of a separate organization to maybe make it easier for other CMS to collaborate.

Yeah, whatever is seen as the sufficient "neutral ground".

> Lukas Kahwe Smith

/Henri

Henri Bergius

Nov 1, 2011, 11:32:28 AM11/1/11
to symfony-cmf-devs
On Nov 1, 5:02 pm, Henri Bergius <henri.berg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * REST API specification that any back-end can implement and that
> Create supports by default
> * Backbone.sync -like possibility of overriding the communications
> interface with the back-end so that you can implement some other
> protocol. We have for example some projects where all communications
> between VIE-managed content and the server happen over WebSockets
> instead of REST

Tracking ticket: https://github.com/bergie/create/issues/2

David Buchmann

Nov 3, 2011, 8:33:52 AM11/3/11