Another solution for "Add-in (C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\vpmsece4.dll) cannot be loaded" error

vtf...@hotmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 10:24:17 AM2/9/09
After uninstalling Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 from my Windows XP Pro
Service Pack 3 machine, every time I started Outlook 2007 Service Pack
1, I received the following notification:

The Add-in "Symantec AntiVirus 10.1" (C:\Program Files\Symantec
AntiVirus\vpmsece4.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by
Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no
update is available, please uninstall the Add-in.

Symantec boards suggested searching through the registry for
"extend.dat" and/or disabling the add-in via Outlook (Tools, Trust
Center, Add-ins). In my case, neither entry existed.

My solution was to search for "extend.dat" on my machine. It's located
under C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook. You must have the "show hidden files" option
enabled in Windows Explorer to navigate to this location.

Close Outlook. Rename the extend.dat file to extend.OLD Restart
Outlook.

Hope this solution helps others.

Cheers,
Phil