Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Winfax unable to display animated fax machine in the status dialog.

Visto 0 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Jim Hagerbaumer

no leída,
14 dic 1997, 3:00:0014/12/97

Have the original Winfax 8.0 from the box and it has been running
marvelously after ironing out the initial bugs many months ago. Just
installed Office 97. Of course it messed up a number of my applications.
I've fixed most. Here's the Winfax problem.

When I open Winfax I get the error message: Winfax is unable to display
the animated fax machine in the status dialog. This may be due to
insufficient memory. Etc.

I have 64meg of RAM and a 16meg swapfile running on a P-133. I
reinstalled Winfax but the same error message pops. I do not want to
upgrade to 8.01 or 8.02. Can't imagine a need to since everything has
been so smooth. Great application!!! But I'm sure there is a simple
solution to this new problem. Could you please tell me what? Thanks
much.

-Jim Hagerbaumer

E. Caruso [Symantec]

no leída,
15 dic 1997, 3:00:0015/12/97

Jim,

Situation – WinFax displays an animated fax machine or answering machine in
the Status dialog when you send faxes and receive faxes or voice messages.
If you do not have the Windows Media Player installed on your computer, you
will not see the animations and a message appears explaining that you are
missing the AVI DLLs. This does not affect the sending or receiving
process; it affects the status animation display only.

Solution – Check that you have AVIFILE.DLL and AVIFIL32.DLL in the SYSTEM
subfolder of your Windows installation folder. If these files are not
installed, you will not be able to view the status animations. To install
these files, do one of the following:

Windows 95 Installation CD – Use a cabinet extractor utility (available on
many shareware Web sites) to extract these files from the cabinet files
(.CAB files) on the installation CD into your WINDOWS\SYSTEM subfolder.

Windows NT 3.51 and 4.0 Installation CD – Use the Expand utility to extract
these files from the main installation folder. Extract AVIFILE.DLL to both
your WINDOWS\SYSTEM subfolder and your WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 subfolder. Extract
AVIFIL32.DLL to your WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 subfolder.

For help on using the Expand utility, type EXPAND/? at a command prompt.

Solution – If AVIFILE.DLL and AVIFIL32.DLL are installed, check that you
have Video Compression Codecs and Media Player installed. Click the Windows
Start button, point to Settings, and click Control Panel. Double click
Add/Remove Programs. Click the Windows Setup tab. In the Components list,
click Multimedia and then click Details. Check for “Video Compression” and
“Media Player” in the list. If they are not present, install them.

Solution –If the previous two solutions do not solve the problem, the Video
MCI device may be corrupted or incorrectly associated. Symptoms of this
include:

a “no MCI devices installed” error when you run the Media Player, or an
MMSYSTEM error
double clicking an AVI file (such as FAX.AVI in the WinFax installation
folder) returns an MMSYSTEM error or brings up the Open With dialog.To fix
this problem, re-install the Media Player.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Eric Caruso [Symantec]
Online Services, Symantec Corporation

Please continue to post your messages to these discussion groups as we do
not provide support through private E-Mail.

VISIT OUR NEW DISCUSSION GROUPS:
http://service.symantec.com/news/index.html

Jim Hagerbaumer <hag...@megsinet.net> wrote in article
<3494554F...@megsinet.net>...

Jim Hagerbaumer

no leída,
16 dic 1997, 3:00:0016/12/97

Eric-

Thanks for your help. The problem seems to be related to the following error
message I get when trying to open an .avi file: MMSYSTEM281 This file could not

be played. Check the file name or install a driver that supports this type
file. Avi's worked OK prior to in installation of Office 97.

I have checked AVIFILE.DLL and AVIFIL32.DLL. I have Windows 95 (original
version). Both files are in the Windows\System folder. I even reinstalled them
from the .CAB files per your instructions to eliminate the possibility of one
or both being corrupted.

Video Compression and Media Player are installed. I removed Media Player as you

suggested and reinstalled it. Still no luck.

What do I do now?

-Jim

Jim Hagerbaumer

no leída,
16 dic 1997, 3:00:0016/12/97

Eric-

Problem solved I believe. I did a websearch which led to:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q136/9/83.asp

This page gives the cause and resolution of MMSYSTEM errors. I had to add the
Motion Video device using the Add New Hardware command in Control Panel and
then I also had to add the line avi=AVIVideo to the Win.ini file. The
instructions on the Microsoft support page were very clear.

I can now play fax.avi, and when I open Winfax the error message does not come
up, so I assume all is well. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

-Jim Hagerbaumer

E. Caruso [Symantec]

no leída,
16 dic 1997, 3:00:0016/12/97

Jim,

Glad to hear the problem is resolved and thanks for the link. I will pass
this on to others who have similar experiences.

Sincerely,

Eric Caruso [Symantec]
Online Services, Symantec Corporation

Please continue to post your messages to these discussion groups as we do
not provide support through private E-Mail.

VISIT OUR NEW DISCUSSION GROUPS:
http://service.symantec.com/news/index.html

Jim Hagerbaumer <hag...@megsinet.net> wrote in article

<3496E0CD...@megsinet.net>...

E. Caruso [Symantec]

no leída,
16 dic 1997, 3:00:0016/12/97

Jim,

Just read your later posting. Glad to hear you've resolved this. I will
pass your solution to others who have similiar problems.

Sincerely,

Eric Caruso [Symantec]
Online Services, Symantec Corporation

Please continue to post your messages to these discussion groups as we do
not provide support through private E-Mail.

VISIT OUR NEW DISCUSSION GROUPS:
http://service.symantec.com/news/index.html

Jim Hagerbaumer <hag...@megsinet.net> wrote in article

<3496A1B2...@megsinet.net>...