AutoPlay virus

Tom Rozic

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
Configuration Information:
Version: 5.0
Virus definitions: July 98
Os version: System 7.X
Formatting: HFS
Macintosh model: PowerMac

Apparently the virus is copying itself to CD-ROMs. How is this
possible? Does it sense when the computer is copying data to another
volume when the CD is burned, and then does it include itself? When
we load a CD with the DELB file on it, NAV brings up the alert
window. After pressing Deny, the virus still creates the DELBDesktop
Print Spooler extension.NAV has no effect.Now, the only way we can
clean out this extension is with ResEdit. Has anything changed with
this virus?

Brian Huberd

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Tom Rozic wrote:

Hello Tom,

The AutoStart worm is not writing itself to CDs, since by nature they
are a read-only media. Of course it is possible for AutoStart to be
inadvertantly written to CD-ROMs during the creation process with the
AutoStart worm files are present on the partition that is the source for
the CD itself. This can cause a tricky situation for the user with one
of these CDs. If it was a CD that you created, my best advice would be
to destroy the CD and re-burn another copy after cleaning the drive
partition with NAV. If the CD in question is a commercially available
CD, you may want to contact the vendor for their advice. If you have any
questions, please feel free to write.
--
Sincerely,

Brian Huberd [Symantec Corporation] Macintosh Technical
Support

Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion groups as

Symantec does not provide support via private email.

If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following
article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414

For links to our other technical support options, including newsletters,
Knowledge Base
support articles, our Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our main
support page:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/index.html