Make it easier to find the peaks in Profiling Results

Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]

Aug 18, 2007, 9:28:38 AM8/18/07
A claim: Nobody cares about the zeroes, only the peaks.

A simple suggestion: In the ms. and % columns of the Profiling Results
display, do not show zero entries as 0. Show them as dash - or empty
spaces, so that non-zero values will stand out when scrolling down
through very large blocks of text.

A better suggestion: Provide some mechanism to quickly find the peaks,
better than scrolling down through large blocks of text trying to keep
an eye out for big percentages. I suggest that ALL lines should be
initially hidden as "-- show xx hidden lines --" EXCEPT for the lines
with non-zero % values. The user could then click on the "-- show ..."
lines to see the surrounding text.

Right now, finding peaks in the Profiling Results display is quite
time consuming. It is also very frustrating when you scroll wayyy down
through a huge procedure, only to find that 100% of the time is
showing against a CALL to another procedure... the time spent looking
at the calling procedure was a complete waste since the called
procedure is the one that should be examined.

Breck

PS I have a fond spot in my heart for profilers, having written the
HotSpotter Profiler for Turbo Pascal back in the DOS days. BC

--
Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services