Sybase tools (PowerScript parsing)

Pavel Karady

Feb 1, 2006, 7:12:32 AM2/1/06
Greetings,

1. Does Sybase offer an API for PowerBuilder, which contains a parser for
PowerScript?

or

2. Does Sybase offer a tool to generate something like Developer's Handbook,
such, when the code is not object-oriented (it's classic structural
programming only), still can generate a list or index of user-defined
functions, from where are this functions called, list or index of database
items which the function is related with, a tool, that generates the
functionality model of a certain program?

Thanks

Pavel

wizardofnet

Feb 1, 2006, 9:10:41 AM2/1/06
why seperate tool?
did you check the edit source feature of the code as a "3GL
like" structured way of giving all functions and event code
of all controls as in one big text file help you?
if you dont know howto right click on any pb object and
select edit source...voila..

Terry Voth

Feb 1, 2006, 10:27:51 AM2/1/06
No, there is no API. The closest you'll get is the PowerScript LibraryExport(),
which gives you the syntax. Nothing is available from Sybase to automagically
parse it. I had a brief look at ANTLR to do something like this, but I never got
past the preliminary review stage.

Sybase had the Advanced Developer Toolkit, which does some of what you're after.
The source is available on CodeXchange
(http://powerbuilder.codexchange.sybase.com). I also thought there was a
documenter project on CX, but I can't find it this morning. PBDoc is a
commercial tool from http://www.pbdr.com. And, PBL Peeper (see below) does a lot
of what you're after.

Good luck,

On 1 Feb 2006 04:12:32 -0800,
in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Pavel Karady <pavel_ns.ns_karady@ns_kogerusa.com> wrote:

*********************************
Click once a day to help the hungry
http://www.thehungersite.com
*********************************
User Manual
===========
TeamSybase <> Sybase employee
Forums = Peer-to-peer
Forums <> Communication with Sybase
IsNull (AnswerTo (Posting)) can return TRUE
Forums.Moderated = TRUE, so behave or be deleted
*********************************

PB Futures updated Nov 14/2005
See the PB Troubleshooting & Migration Guides at the Sandbox
^ ^
o o
=*=

Doug Porter

Feb 1, 2006, 10:49:56 AM2/1/06
It would be nice to see at least the datawindow syntax spec released by Sybase but from what Jim O'Neil said a while back regarding
datawindow syntax as XML doesn't seem like there is any push internally to make that happen.

Doug Porter
DailyAccess Corporation

Chris Pollach

Feb 1, 2006, 12:12:16 PM2/1/06
Pavel

1) Yes, it's called ORCA - "Open Repository Case API".

2) Check out the tool called VisualExpert from Novalys.

Regards ... Chris

"Pavel Karady" <pavel_ns.ns_karady@ns_kogerusa.com> wrote in message

Pavel Karady

Feb 2, 2006, 3:21:36 PM2/2/06
Thank very much for everyone who responded. Your posts were appreciated.

Pavel