Re: PB10 & 11 running in ultimate vista 64 bit trying to connect to oracle 11g 64 bit database

jorgegonzalez

Feb 28, 2008, 4:25:52 AM2/28/08
> I am running both pb and oracle 11g in ultimate vista 64
bit

when I try connecting from pb 10 or 11 using the native
> driver to an oracle 11g 64 bit database i get this error:
> oracle library oci.dll could not be loaded.when i use an
> oracle odbc driver i get this message: data source name
> not found and no default driver specified. when i trying
> connecting from visual studio 2008 i get this message:
> attempt to load oracle client libraries threw
> badimageformatexception. this problem will occur when
> running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit oracle client
> components installed.

jorgegonzalez

Feb 28, 2008, 4:21:46 AM2/28/08

Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)

Feb 28, 2008, 8:17:56 AM2/28/08
PB is 32 bit and requires 32 bit client libraries. What you are
describing suggests that the Oracle client software is not 32 bit (or
cannot be run in 32 mode on a 64 bit OS). As for ODBC, you need to make
sure that you are running the 32 bit version DSN and driver from the 32
bit driver manager. The trick is that odbcad32.exe is the executable
name for both the 32bit and 64bit version of the driver manager. Launch
the ODBC administrator that is hosting your DSN and check Task Manager
to verify that you are running a 32 bit version (32 apps are marked with
an *).

jorgegonzalez

Feb 28, 2008, 12:48:28 PM2/28/08
Thanks Chris. I think you are right. I ran msinfo32.exe and
oci.dll is memory. I did install mssql 2005 64 bit developer
edition and powerbuilder 10 and 11 were able to connect to
it.

Jorge

Mar 2, 2008, 7:17:34 PM3/2/08
I finally figured out how to connect to Oracle 64 bit from a
32 bit application. Here are the steps. Assuming Oracle 64
is already installed:

1. Download the Oracle 11g 32 bit odac.
2. Unzip it into a temporary folder.
3. Run the setup. Install the insta-client without mdac.
The client will install in a subfolder called client_1 under
the
<drive>:jagonzo\product\11.1.0\ folder. For me this is fine.
4. Copy the tnsnames.ora file from the
<drive>:\app\jagonzo\product\11.1.0\db_1\NETWORK\ADMIN to
the clients
D:\app\jagonzo\product\11.1.0\client_1\Network\Admin folder.
I also copied the listener and sqlnet files to this folder.
5. That's it.