I've finally managed to install Sybase ASE 12.5 on Windows XP Home Edition!

enrique_saenz

Aug 8, 2003, 12:10:22 PM8/8/03
I know there are more people trying to install ASE 12.x on
WinXP (any version) and they are having any kinf of
problems...

First, I thougth it was impossible to install it on XP, but
some people keep saying they have it running on XP, but they
didn't remember how they installed it.

There are different kind of problems, some people just can't
start the installer, others, like me, managed to run the
installer (replacing java runtime environment JRE), but
cannot configure the server properly.

In my case Sybase gave an error related to the connection
with the server, after rebooting the PC and running Syconfig

The solution to all the installation problems is really
simple, you don't have to config any file manually nor
something else.

The only thing you must change is JRE, because the version
bundled with ASE has a bug with Pentium IV processors. But,
you must have in mind the following when doing the change:

If you restart the PC, keep in mind that sybase has a
restart.bat program, that resumes installation, and creates
the server.

BEFORE YOU RESTART THE PC, you MUST replace the folder
%SYBASE%\SHARED1_0\jre-1.2.2 with the updated JRE, because
if you don't do this, you will get an error after restaring.

And this is what people at Sybase, didn't tell us:

IS NOT THE SAME THING to run Syconfig automatically before
all other windows xp services starts, than running it
manually from command prompt.

If you don't manage to restart the pc, and resume
installation without errors, forget it. You must start from
the beginning again.

I hopes this helps more people. Sorry for my English, this
is not my first languange, because I'm from Argentina.

Enrique