(70014)End of file found

Doug Renn

Feb 28, 2008, 11:15:37 AM2/28/08
to SwitchPipe
First, thanks for writing this! It's solved a number of problems for
me.

I've run into a problem with one application. The application allows
the user to upload a file via a form, does some parsing/processing of
the data, then redirects back to the index page. Processing the data
can take a few seconds and I've been randomly getting an apache proxy
error during this operation. The apache logs showed:

(70014)End of file found: proxy: error reading status line from remote
server localhost, referer: ...

It appears that the following line from receive_data

# If data's still coming in but no HTTP header has been found
within 5 seconds, close the connection
raise if (@request.start_time < (Time.now.to_i - 5))

is causing the connection to the back end to close before it's
actually finished. Increasing this to 15 seconds seems to have fixed
my problem.

Peter Cooper

Feb 28, 2008, 7:04:30 PM2/28/08
to SwitchPipe
Ah, yes. This is a problem. It's preventing possible [straggler
connections / DOS attacks/ other sorts of connection tie-ups] at the
cost of being extremely restrictive in terms of uploading. This should
be a user definable setting, as the general timeout time is :) Thanks
for raising it!

I would have thought that even on a long upload, the packets for the
start of the HTTP request would have been sent, so I might need to
look into why it's not finding that. Since the header of the HTTP
request should at least be in within 5 seconds.. so that might be a
bug.

Cheers,
Peter Cooper