swfobject 2.1 problem with IE6 and IE7 - J.parentNode is null

filemailAdmin

Aug 26, 2008, 5:14:31 PM8/26/08
to SWFObject
I am having a problem with the latest swfobject (v2.1) in IE6 and IE7
on this page:

http://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=DKSHFFDTJUZOSKN

The error I get is Line 6, char 1913 - J.parentNode is null or not an
object.

The ....swfobject.embedSWF.. code is not placed in the <head>, but we
are sucessfully doing it a similar way on other pages (in the <body>).

We are using .NET and some simple Ajax as well on the same
page...,maybe this is interfering ?

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this issue?

Thanks...

Njal Gjermundshaug
Filemail.com

Aran Rhee

Aug 26, 2008, 10:39:11 PM8/26/08
to swfo...@googlegroups.com
Njal.

There are multiple instances of swfobject.js on the page as well as the
Adobe embed js library.

In the <head>
<script src="/js/AC_OETags.js" language="javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/flex/swfobject.js"
language="javascript"></script>

In the body
<script type="text/javascript" src="/flex/swfobject.js"
language="javascript"></script>

You also have other js files which may be breaking things like:
<script type="text/javascript" src="/flex/swfformfix2.js"
language="javascript"></script>

My only suggestion is that you create a stripped down version of the page
without all the other5 stuff (ie only swfobject.js and your flash file).
Once you get that working, slowly add the other .js files / code back and
see what is causing the issue.

I have a suspicion that it is another .js file, not swfobject causing the
message ( you could quickly check this in the reverse by removing the flash
file and the two swfobject.js references and see if the error still occurs)

Aran

filemailAdmin

Aug 27, 2008, 4:30:22 AM8/27/08
to SWFObject
It worked after I removed the

<script type="text/javascript" src="/flex/swfobject.js"
language="javascript"></script>

in the <body>.

Can't believe I didn't see that..

Thanks a lot Aran! :)