Crash today from the back of the "A" ride

Keau

Aug 29, 2010, 12:59:58 AM8/29/10
to Swami's Cycling
From ST.com. The WC tri member with the Elite Razor should be
contacted for further questions.

Pic: http://i.pgu.me/TDRdB--q_original.png

Can anyone tell me if they saw this to help fill-in the gaps...

I was on Del Dios going south past Lake Hodges (N. San Diego county)
approx 9:30AM

Doozy bike accident this morning. I was riding solo after 50 miles
into my ride with friends (we parted ways for different routes home)
A string of triathletes in a drafting paceline flew by me on the
left. I remember one guy had a green kit with WCTri on the butt.
Think some guy clipped me...I Flew over the bars. Out for 5 min and
woke to being duct taped to a back board in the ambulance. Nobody
left any info. All my gear is shot (timex Global Trainer, Rudy Rydons
(ImpactX probably saved my left eye). Rudy Sterling helmet shot but
saved my life. Bike (Litespeed Saber) is toast.

Spending night or two in hospital. Severe concussion, occipital skull
fracture (CT just came back) chipped teeth, back injury, but alive.

Keau

Aug 29, 2010, 11:18:34 AM8/29/10
to Swami's Cycling
Updated status on Dave: CT scan indicates occipital skull fracture and
lumbar regio vertebral compression fracture.

"The guy who clipped me went down briefly but got back on the bike and
left me unconscious in the road. A CalTrain employee saw me in the
road and parked his truck to block traffic."

Absolutely unacceptable...

If you were involved or witnessed this crash, please reply.

Ryon Graf

Aug 29, 2010, 12:12:37 PM8/29/10
to keau...@gmail.com, Swami's Cycling
This is some serious stuff.  Did anyone see this?  Apparently the guy who clipped him went down too and left an unconscious man on the side of the road.

Ryon P. Graf
PhD Student, SBMRI Molecular Medicine
Stupack Laboratory (www.stupacklab.com)
Moores Cancer Center, UCSD
Lab Phone: (858) 822 2889

Ryan Hyslop

Aug 29, 2010, 3:21:33 PM8/29/10
to keau...@gmail.com, Swami's Cycling
Swamis,

My wife was third back in the group that saw the riders go down. She was the first rider to NOT go down. She was the one that called 911 and was there the ENTIRE time that the gentleman who fell was unconscious. From her vantage point, it appeared to be a tragic accident, but one without malice. The other riders left because an orthopedic surgeon was on the scene from the start and the paramedics told everyone to leave once they arrived. I do not know all of the riders involved and neither does she as she just got caught up in a paceline as she rode down Del Dios on her road bike.

This is a tragic accident and my sympathies go out to all that were involved. It is my understanding that there is some bashing going on in another forum. I can tell you that from my wife's vantage point, she did NOT see anyone get clipped and certainly did not see any intentional malice towards any rider. She regrets not calling the road ID number on the gentleman who was unconscious, but was more concerned with the matters at hand and helping any way she could.

What she did see were several riders on TT bikes doing over 35mph in their aero bars. I would submit that before anyone is bashed, some research should be done to determine the veracity of what actually happened. This is certainly only ONE vantage point. I would be happy to discuss what my wife saw in more detail with anyone, but as you can imagine she is a bit shaken up by seeing the tragedy firsthand and does not feel like discussing it with anyone.

Speedy recovery to all involved.

Ride safe,
Ryan Hyslop

Aug 29, 2010, 3:24:29 PM8/29/10
to keau...@gmail.com, Swami's Cycling
My wife's email to Dave:

"Hey Dave,

I am the woman who called 911 for you yesterday on Del Dios.  I was riding 2-people back from you when you crashed.  Unfortunately, I did not see anything happen that I can attribute to the cause of the crash so I am sorry I can't offer you any more information on that.  One our way back to the coast, talking to one of the other two riders that went down (who also didn't see anything happen), we discussed possibly that you hit one of those little white reflectors along the side of the road (but, again, I really don't know and this is my opinion).

From my vantage point,  all I saw was your body flying in the air and the two other guys in front of me tumbling over you.  Somehow I managed the avoid everyone and got my cell out first to call 911.  There was a group of about 5 of us who stayed with you until the paramedics came, one who was an orthopedic surgeon who attended to you, (stabilized your neck and wouldn't let you get up, etc) until they arrived.  The Cal Trans guy came up behind our group and put his truck behind us with his flashers and stepped out onto the road in a reflective vest to alert oncoming traffic.  Immediately after the crash, you were completely unconsious and laying in a slump on the side of the road.  As we waited for the ambulance to arrive, we kept trying to talk to you and you started to gain some awareness, asking what happened and how your bike was, etc.  I did not notice your RoadID until about the time that the medics arrived and my cell was on lock-down from having called 911, so I could not make that call to your wife.  Sorry I did not leave any contact information, while some of the medics were working on you and talking to the other riders who stopped, I was cleaning up debris from the bike lane.

I am really sorry that I don't have more information to offer you regarding what caused the crash, but please know that there were about 5 of us who stayed with you (2 of whom were riders that also went down) until the ambulance came and loaded you up.  After they arrived and started treating you, they told us they would take care of you and your bike and that we should carry on.

I hope you heal fast.

Julie"