HTTPS, IE8 and images

Matt Ellen

Jun 21, 2010, 3:25:59 PM6/21/10
to SVG Web
I've been working on a website for a while (although its looks still
leave a lot to be desired) that uses SVG Web.

I force flash rendering for uniformity across browsers.

The url is https://78.86.233.36/ although the certificate is self
signed, so I'll understand if you don't want to visit.
username: demo
password: demoPW1

The problem I'm having is that when I put an image (png, gif or jpg)
into the SVG then it won't render in IE8, but it does in Firefox
(3.6.3).

I am generating the images using php, but that shouldn't matter as the
site works in IE8 over regular HTTP.

I'm using r1115 of SVG Web.

Has anyone come across this before?

Bradley Neuberg

Jun 21, 2010, 4:59:16 PM6/21/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Can you show us the source? Are you using data: urls for the images?

Looks cool BTW! You should use pointer-events: none so that text doesn't get selected when you drag things (though I can't remember whether that is supported by SVG Web currently). If you drag too fast on an object it also becomes unselected.

Matt Ellen

Jun 25, 2010, 12:27:52 PM6/25/10
to SVG Web
I was always planning on putting this on github. Now's as good a time
as any.

http://github.com/Mellen/Ideaweb

It doesn't have code to set up the DB in there at the moment.

The file that generates the SVG is projectImage.php

It doesn't use data: urls, it's using xlink:href and pointing to a PHP
file. I'm using PHP to resize the images.

Thanks for the tip on the bugs.

On Jun 21, 9:59 pm, Bradley Neuberg <bradneub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you show us the source? Are you using data: urls for the images?
>
> Looks cool BTW! You should use pointer-events: none so that text doesn't get
> selected when you drag things (though I can't remember whether that is
> supported by SVG Web currently). If you drag too fast on an object it also
> becomes unselected.
>
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Matt Ellen <mojo-the-waf...@excite.com>wrote:
>
> > I've been working on a website for a while (although its looks still
> > leave a lot to be desired) that uses SVG Web.
>
> > I force flash rendering for uniformity across browsers.
>
> > The url ishttps://78.86.233.36/although the certificate is self
> > signed, so I'll understand if you don't want to visit.
> > username: demo
> > password: demoPW1
>
> > The problem I'm having is that when I put an image (png, gif or jpg)
> > into the SVG then it won't render in IE8, but it does in Firefox
> > (3.6.3).
>
> > I am generating the images using php, but that shouldn't matter as the
> > site works in IE8 over regular HTTP.
>
> > I'm using r1115 of SVG Web.
>
> > Has anyone come across this before?
>
> > --
> > .

Matt Ellen

Jun 25, 2010, 12:32:24 PM6/25/10
to SVG Web
My mistake, the code for the DB is in there!

On Jun 25, 5:27 pm, Matt Ellen <mojo-the-waf...@excite.com> wrote:
> I was always planning on putting this on github. Now's as good a time
> as any.
>
> http://github.com/Mellen/Ideaweb
>
> It doesn't have code to set up the DB in there at the moment.
>
> The file that generates the SVG is projectImage.php
>
> It doesn't use data: urls, it's using xlink:href and pointing to a PHP
> file. I'm using PHP to resize theimages.
>
> Thanks for the tip on the bugs.
>
> On Jun 21, 9:59 pm, Bradley Neuberg <bradneub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you show us the source? Are you using data: urls for theimages?
>
> > Looks cool BTW! You should use pointer-events: none so that text doesn't get
> > selected when you drag things (though I can't remember whether that is
> > supported by SVG Web currently). If you drag too fast on an object it also
> > becomes unselected.
>
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Matt Ellen <mojo-the-waf...@excite.com>wrote:
>
> > > I've been working on a website for a while (although its looks still
> > > leave a lot to be desired) that uses SVG Web.
>
> > > I force flash rendering for uniformity across browsers.
>
> > > The url ishttps://78.86.233.36/althoughthe certificate is self
> > > signed, so I'll understand if you don't want to visit.
> > > username: demo
> > > password: demoPW1
>
> > > The problem I'm having is that when I put an image (png, gif or jpg)
> > > into the SVG then it won't render inIE8, but it does in Firefox
> > > (3.6.3).
>
> > > I am generating theimagesusing php, but that shouldn't matter as the
> > > site works inIE8over regular HTTP.

Bradley Neuberg

Jun 25, 2010, 12:55:22 PM6/25/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Nice; do you have a demo running anywhere we can test?

Mojo

Jun 27, 2010, 2:41:41 PM6/27/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com

R. Masters

Jul 1, 2010, 2:29:55 PM7/1/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Mojo,

I've looked at the links you have provided. For the second or third time. The problem is that it is too difficult for us to figure out how to replicate your problem and fix it. You have not explained how one would encounter the problem with your application.

It is most efficient for us to debug a simple example in our own web server with code we build ourselves that we can instrument and debug. If you file an Issue (http://code.google.com/p/svgweb/issues/list) and attach brief instructions and the minimal amount of files and procedures to reproduce the problem, then you'll get your problem resolved much more quickly.

With respect to your particular problem, the only problem I have seen with image loading was when the image is too large or of a format that flash does not support. But that is only speculation at this point. You said it did not work on IE8 but you did not say if you tested it in other browsers in flash mode. You said it worked on firefox. Was that using native SVG support or flash? Does it work on IE6 or IE7, but not IE8 or was IE8 the only browser you tested in flash mode?

Regards,
Rick

P.S. For those who really want to make my life easier, please name your attached files like: i512.html and i512.svg but replace 512 with the Issue number and use src/svg.js as the path to SVG Web inside your examples.

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Mojo <mojo-th...@excite.com> wrote:
Sorry for sounding ignorant, but, what would you like a demo site to do?

The site I mentioned in the OP is a test site, if that's all you need.

Jul 1, 2010, 9:11:32 PM7/1/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
+1 on what Rick says; if you name your testing resources after the issue, such as issue552.html, it makes it much easier when we have several bug test files downloaded locally.

Matt Ellen

Jul 2, 2010, 10:10:22 AM7/2/10
to SVG Web
Sorry for not being clear enough.

I will submit an issue as soon as I figure out the minimum amount of
code.

Just in case rephrasing helps:

My SVG document is generated by PHP.
In it there are <image> elements that reference images generated by
PHP.
The generated form of the tag is something like <image width="80"
height="79" xlink:href="ideaimage.php?
idea_id=4&anti_csrf=36fad2f0755f50e4f7f202d4949a838536e4d244bb59987fc317c0b47be0cb67fd72d53b"></
image>
In IE8, over https, the images do not display. Everything else works
(wrt SVG).

Below is a table of tested browsers. (best viewed with a fixed width
font :))

browser | HTTPS | HTTP
--------------------------------------
IE8 | no images | images
Firefox 3.6.6 | images | images
Opera 10.6 | images | images
Chrome 5.0.375.99 | images | images

Hope that makes more sense than before!

On Jul 2, 2:11 am, Bradley Neuberg <bradneub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 on what Rick says; if you name your testing resources after the issue,
> such as issue552.html, it makes it much easier when we have several bug test
> files downloaded locally.
>
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM, R. Masters <gric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mojo,
>
> > I've looked at the links you have provided. For the second or third time.
> > The problem is that it is too difficult for us to figure out how to
> > replicate your problem and fix it. You have not explained how one would
> > encounter the problem with your application.
>
> > It is most efficient for us to debug a simple example in our own web server
> > with code we build ourselves that we can instrument and debug. If you file
> > an Issue (http://code.google.com/p/svgweb/issues/list) and attach brief
> > instructions and the minimal amount of files and procedures to reproduce the
> > problem, then you'll get your problem resolved much more quickly.
>
> > With respect to your particular problem, the only problem I have seen with
> > image loading was when the image is too large or of a format that flash does
> > not support. But that is only speculation at this point. You said it did not
> > work on IE8 but you did not say if you tested it in other browsers in flash
> > mode. You said it worked on firefox. Was that using native SVG support or
> > flash? Does it work on IE6 or IE7, but not IE8 or was IE8 the only browser
> > you tested in flash mode?
>
> > Regards,
> > Rick
>
> > P.S. For those who really want to make my life easier, please name your
> > attached files like: i512.html and i512.svg but replace 512 with the Issue
> > number and use src/svg.js as the path to SVG Web inside your examples.
>
> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Mojo <mojo-the-waf...@excite.com> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry for sounding ignorant, but, what would you like a demo site to do?
>
> >> The site I mentioned in the OP is a test site, if that's all you need.

Matt Ellen

Jul 2, 2010, 10:50:28 AM7/2/10
to SVG Web
Sorry, forgot to mention that flash rendering is forced through a meta
tag.

Bradley Neuberg

Jul 2, 2010, 2:14:33 PM7/2/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure that you are setting the MIME type correctly for the images when PHP generates them?

Bradley Neuberg

Jul 2, 2010, 2:15:44 PM7/2/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Also, for https, IE 8 made a breaking change where if you mix HTTP and HTTPS URLs on an HTTPS page it will silently ignore HTTP URLs. Make sure that everything on the page is truly HTTPS if the entire page itself is HTTPS (i.e. don't have "mixed content").

Matt Ellen

Jul 30, 2010, 1:26:02 PM7/30/10
to SVG Web
Sorry I've been so long in logging the issue.

It's taken me a while to pin down the minimum amount of code.

I've logged issue 532