New Release?

1 view

Bradley Neuberg

Jun 24, 2010, 1:27:02 AM6/24/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com, Bruce Duncan
Bruce Duncan from visualmining.com and Rick Masters have been on a tear lately, checking in a huge number of patches and fixes. I was thinking about putting out a new release next week with a corresponding blog post and announcement. What do people think?

Bruce, since you've submitted so many patches this go round, want to find a D&D monster name to give the next release? The old school ones are the best; here's a page with a nice list:

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm

Bradley Neuberg

Jun 24, 2010, 1:54:51 AM6/24/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Dengler
+ Patrick Dengler

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Michael Neutze <mne...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 24 June 2010 07:27, Bradley Neuberg <bradn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruce Duncan from visualmining.com and Rick Masters have been on a tear
> lately, checking in a huge number of patches and fixes. I was thinking about
> putting out a new release next week with a corresponding blog post and
> announcement. What do people think?

Absolutely, it's a pleasure to see so much activity and progress and a
big thanks to Rick and Bruce.

Just wanted to add a thing: Yesterday's release of ie9 platform
preview #3 made some - to me at least considerable - progress in the
SVG space. From my limited testing so far it now seems to support the
viewbox attribute and with that renders a lot of the standard svg +
xhtml examples right out of the box. On the other hand it seems SVG
Web doesn't yet cope with ie9, oder does it? Not sure how much work
that would be.

Yeah, I haven't done any work for IE 9 to go native yet. I have a feeling it might be quite tricky. I don't have a testing setup for IE 9 yet. Getting SVG Web to use native support on IE 9 is important though and its up there on my list. Are there any Microsoft people on the list? A patch to SVG Web that had it work with native support in IE 9 would be a nice submission by them, especially if its something we could announce at SVG Open 2010. I could do it but it would happen faster and be a nice touch by Microsoft if they submitted a patch. I've CCed Patrick Dengler on this email.

Also with regard to the SVGopen timeframe (August 30th), maybe one
release now and another just before SVGopen?

That's a possibility.

Michael

> Bruce, since you've submitted so many patches this go round, want to find a
> D&D monster name to give the next release? The old school ones are the best;
> here's a page with a nice list:
>
> http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm

Bruce Duncan

Jun 24, 2010, 12:01:49 PM6/24/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
I think its a great idea.  It actually coincides with the end of our current development cycle as well (tuesday).  There are a couple more issues i'd really like to resolve by then, however :)  Specifically, 514 and maybe 417.

For the name, I think I'd have to choose Owlephant as it is a pretty neat looking creature, and the name reminded me of Tolkien's Oliphaunt.

bruce

On 6/24/2010 1:25 AM, Bradley Neuberg wrote:
Bruce Duncan from visualmining.com and Rick Masters have been on a tear lately, checking in a huge number of patches and fixes. I was thinking about putting out a new release next week with a corresponding blog post and announcement. What do people think?

Bruce, since you've submitted so many patches this go round, want to find a D&D monster name to give the next release? The old school ones are the best; here's a page with a nice list:

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm

Best,
  Brad

Bradley Neuberg

Jun 24, 2010, 12:03:52 PM6/24/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com

Owlephant it is! I can hold off a release till mid July if that works for you.

On Jun 24, 2010 9:01 AM, "Bruce Duncan" <bdu...@visualmining.com> wrote:

I think its a great idea.  It actually coincides with the end of our current development cycle as well (tuesday).  There are a couple more issues i'd really like to resolve by then, however :)  Specifically, 514 and maybe 417.

For the name, I think I'd have to choose Owlephant as it is a pretty neat looking creature, and the name reminded me of Tolkien's Oliphaunt.

bruce

On 6/24/2010 1:25 AM, Bradley Neuberg wrote:

> Bruce Duncan from visualmining.com and Rick Mas...

To post t...

R. Masters

Jun 24, 2010, 10:37:23 PM6/24/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com

Yes, a release in the near future would be great. There is at least one bug I'd like to work on this weekend so as long as it is no sooner than Monday, that would be fine.

I'd also like to note the contributions of Ken Stacey from svgmaker.com to this release. He significantly overhauled SMIL and text placement.

Regards,
Rick

Bruce Duncan

Jun 24, 2010, 10:45:11 PM6/24/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
I want to second the kudos to Ken Stacey, as well as everyone else who contributed to this release.  Really good stuff.

As for a date for a release, anytime after Wednesday is fine with me.

bruce

swmksks

Jun 25, 2010, 12:20:49 AM6/25/10
to SVG Web
Thanks for the mention! There has been a lot of activity recently and
I think a release is a great idea.

I've been quietly working away on animateMotion plus a collection of
SMIL performance tweaks but that won't be ready for a few weeks.

Ken

Bruce Duncan

Jun 25, 2010, 12:32:19 AM6/25/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Thats great, Ken! Speaking for myself, any improvement to the
performance/perceived frame rate of the animations would be greatly
appreciated!

bruce

Bradley Neuberg

Jun 25, 2010, 1:15:32 AM6/25/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your help Ken! Maybe we can do a release mid July that has the work you are cooking up plus everything else instead of one next week? We shall call it Owlephant!

swmksks

Jun 25, 2010, 5:35:02 AM6/25/10
to SVG Web
Brad, I wouldn't want the release delayed on my account. My time
estimate includes one week vacation (starting two hours ago!). Even
when I'm done, there will need to be a review and some testing. I
think that there are a lot of patches which are release worthy
already. However, SVG Open timing may figure in the equation too.

Ken

On Jun 25, 3:15 pm, Bradley Neuberg <bradneub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all your help Ken! Maybe we can do a release mid July that has
> the work you are cooking up plus everything else instead of one next week?
> We shall call it Owlephant!
>
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Bruce Duncan <bdun...@visualmining.com>wrote:
>
> > Thats great, Ken!  Speaking for myself, any improvement to the
> > performance/perceived frame rate of the animations would be greatly
> > appreciated!
>
> > bruce
>
> > On 6/25/2010 12:20 AM, swmksks wrote:
> > > Thanks for the mention!  There has been a lot of activity recently and
> > > I think a release is a great idea.
>
> > > I've been quietly working away on animateMotion plus a collection of
> > > SMIL performance tweaks but that won't be ready for a few weeks.
>
> > > Ken
>
> > --
> > .

Bradley Neuberg

Jun 25, 2010, 12:54:35 PM6/25/10
to svg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken the work you are doing sounds great; putting out a release mid July is fine. Let's do that.