would you ...

Milktree

Jul 28, 2010, 3:53:05 PM7/28/10
to SV/DL List

... go to a shop called:

- Muffler Bearings
- Blinker Fluid
- Squid's (note where the apostrophe is)
- Cycle Arts

If you have a strong reaction to any of those, what is it?

If you have a mild reaction, what do those names make you think of?

-Will

Jim Stewart

Jul 28, 2010, 4:23:29 PM7/28/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com
Milktree wrote:

> ... go to a shop called:
>

> - Muffler Bearings
> - Blinker Fluid
> - Squid's (note where the apostrophe is)

Sure!

> - Cycle Arts

Nope...

-js

Vincenzo

Jul 29, 2010, 10:56:02 AM7/29/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com

> > ... go to a shop called:
(...)

> > - Cycle Arts

> > Nope...

> -js

Sounds too much like a combined Aprilia\Ducati\Harley dealership?

-Vincenzo

Nuova grafica e nuove funzionalità! Crea subito Gratis la tua nuova Casella di Posta Katamail

Chris Weiss

Jul 29, 2010, 1:49:25 PM7/29/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com
Or someone that specializes in Lucite rims for Hayabusas ;)

> --
> This is the SV/DL Riders mail list.
> Moderators: Beth <hackt...@gmail.com>, Jim <j...@strappe.com>, Steve
> <stev...@gmail.com>

-Chris

Paul Danger Kile of DangerIsMyMiddleName.com

Jul 30, 2010, 5:59:54 PM7/30/10
to SV/DL Riders
I don't know what a "Cycle Arts" is, but I saw it mentioned in-a-bad-
light on one of the boards. (OK, OK, I confess, it was a Ducati
board). If Jim Stewart says to stay away, then I will stay away.

As for the other shop names: we get all excited when racing comes to
the Isle of Man, and that's pronounced the same as "I love man." Not
that there is anything wrong with that. Right? Right? [cricket sound
effect]

The most poorly named products are often the common ones. I list some
here: http://dangerismymiddlename.com/archives/356, please give me
some more ideas, and I will update the page. No, this is not as funny
as listing all of the punny hair salon names: whether it's "Sheer
Perfection", "A Cut Above", "US Hair Force", or "Curl Up And Dye", but
these names have always just seemed wrong to me.

Thumper Ray

Jul 30, 2010, 6:14:31 PM7/30/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com
How about a drug pronounced "ass effects" that has flatulence listed as the third most common side effect and constipation as number five. Ass effects indeed.

John

Jul 30, 2010, 8:01:56 PM7/30/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com
I always thought that "Hydrox" was a peculiar name for a cookie... Sounds
very chemical.

John McMahon

Donlon McGovern

Jul 30, 2010, 10:58:30 PM7/30/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, and with all that sodium they could call them Sodium Hydroxides but
then that would be a little caustic...
dm

Donlon McGovern

Aug 1, 2010, 12:35:34 AM8/1/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com
Polyethelene Glycol is know to woodworkers as PEG. It it used to stabilize
green wood so that it does not check but it is rather messy to work with and
it leaks out, just like people do when taking Miralax...So, unless you need
to run a blockade, or blockage, never chew on a piece of wood treated with
PEG.
dm

Aug 1, 2010, 1:04:02 AM8/1/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com
Paul Danger Kile of DangerIsMyMiddleName.com wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2:53 pm, Milktree <milkt...@mahonkin.com> wrote:
>> If you have a strong reaction to any of those, what is it?
>>
>> If you have a mild reaction, what do those names make you think of?
>>
>> -Will
>
> -- Muffler Bearings: like a snipe hunt.
> -- Blinker Fluid: same. Nobody ever played those pranks on me,
> although I vaguely remember something similar: either at GM, or during
> my very short garbage hauling career.
> -- Squid's: I know what a squid is (animal and rider), but I don't get
> it.
> -- Cycle Arts: despite what I said earlier I don't know what "Cycle
> Arts" is.
> My reaction is mostly "I don't get it". I suspect that this is more a
> reflection of my lack-of-imagination than anything else though. Are
> there any shops with these names, and if-so, then 3 of the 4 must be
> meant-as-jokes, correct? Or am I so not-getting-it that my asking is
> almost-like falling for it?
>
> PDK

I'm with you except for Squid's. (Note the apostrophe!)

Somebody who calls himself (herself) Squid and opens a saloon is someone
I'd like to meet. And first off, "where did the name come from?"

But then, I'm a bit strange...

-js

Paul Danger Kile of DangerIsMyMiddleName.com

Aug 1, 2010, 12:14:27 AM8/1/10
to SV/DL Riders
Oh these are really good. I will credit y'all with the ideas.

I was actually able to Google the correct spelling of AcipHex by
typing it in phonetically: not a good sign.

The AcipHex suggestion reminded me that my wife once suggested a
polyethylene-glycol-electrolyte-solution called GoLYTELY. This stuff
makes everything in your digestive system come out really, really
fast: "go" "lightly" indeed.

Yes. Polyethylene-glycol is the stuff in Miralax: which _does_ work
mildly, but the same cannot be said about GoLYTELY.

On another note: the word polyethylene-glycol-electrolyte-solution
sounds to me like something that you could make by melting a full
bottle of Gatorade.

Paul Danger Kile of DangerIsMyMiddleName.com

Aug 1, 2010, 12:47:18 AM8/1/10
to SV/DL Riders
On Jul 28, 2:53 pm, Milktree <milkt...@mahonkin.com> wrote:
> If you have a strong reaction to any of those, what is it?
>
> If you have a mild reaction, what do those names make you think of?
>
>         -Will

Thumper Ray

Aug 1, 2010, 11:45:35 AM8/1/10
to sv-dl-...@googlegroups.com

> I'm with you except for Squid's. (Note the apostrophe!)
>
> Somebody who calls himself (herself) Squid and opens a
> saloon is someone I'd like to meet. And first off, "where
> did the name come from?"

Most accounts say it's (not the apostrophe!) a contraction of Squirrely Kids.
Ray-Bob

Paul Danger Kile of DangerIsMyMiddleName.com

Aug 3, 2010, 5:01:45 AM8/3/10
to SV/DL Riders
I am aware of that explanation and I like it. It _feels_ right.

One of those California magazines (Motorcyclist? Cycle World?) claimed
that they are squids, because they don't handle corners well. They
ride the way that a squid moves: quickly race in this direction, go
real slow, quickly race in that direction, go real slow.

That said, if these are shop names, then I would assume that the
apostrophe referred to ownership, and that the owner wanted to be
called "squid". If it were a bike shop, then I would expect there to
be things like helmet mohawks and carbon fiber looking bumper stickers
there.