PF Pompeii 40th Anniversary Edition

grill

Jun 19, 2012, 12:43:29 PM6/19/12
to SurroundSound
http://img710.imageshack dot us/img710/1337/pompeii22.jpg

More at AFG members area.

realafrica

Jun 20, 2012, 5:24:38 PM6/20/12
to SurroundSound
Link is no good.........
......and yes I did also try copy pasting the whole thing.

On Jun 19, 5:43 pm, grill <gr...@index.hu> wrote:
> http://img710.imageshackdot us/img710/1337/pompeii22.jpg
Message has been deleted

flytomars

Jun 21, 2012, 2:54:00 AM6/21/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
This looks a bit dodgy-
Is it privately made, or something sanctioned by the band? (I hardly believe the band dont have the cash for it)
I gather it is a project somewhat like the WYWH anniverssary that was done here?
Someone found a private copy of the film and wants to convert it? (to what? blu ray? DVD?)
Is there equipment that can decode this quad? (is it the same as QS / SQ or different? I read somewhere it is left / right /front center / rear?)
Why didnt the ultra expensive Yes blu ray have a quad decoded channel, instead it has a horrific upmix from the mono channel?
Also- I got the rolling stones DVD - ladies and gentlement- the rolling stones, it comes with a reproduction of the poster, which says - "for the first time ever- presented in quad sound!"  and this is from 1974, how does this bode with pompeii being done in 72?
So many questions, I hope all of them will get an answer here as this really interests me :)

grill

Jun 21, 2012, 5:49:59 AM6/21/12
to SurroundSound
dot = .
AFG = http://s7.zetaboards.com/Pink_Floyd/index/

$600 have been donated so far. They still need $400 by 25th July.
> > More at AFG members area.- Idézett szöveg elrejtése -
>
> - Idézett szöveg megjelenítése -

grill

Jun 21, 2012, 6:01:29 AM6/21/12
to SurroundSound
From AFG forum:

"A good friend and I have been working on this project for quite
sometime. We have contacted Adrian Maben (who has been very kind to
us) Paul Bertault, Phil Borak and others who were involved with the
original film ad quadraphonic mix. Our goal is to present the film as
it would have been back in the 70s. We have done a mad amount of
research trying to make this the best version release to date. We need
donations to transfer the quad soundtrack. It's on an oddball format
(4 Track CinemaScope) and we have to take it to a studio here in LA
for transfer. More details to come. Still at work!"

"The project is off to a great start, but we cant do it alone. We need
your guys' help!! Its going to cost us almost $1000 to get this thing
completed. We're well on our way, but we need donations! Anything you
can contribute would be welcome, even $1! I know every one in the
Floyd community is probably hurting financially right now (Thanks Rog,
for The Wall tour...) And just a disclaimer: I am not the one
spearheading this project, I am the middle man. One of the big reasons
I am involved with this project, is to impress a very cute girl at
work! That and I want to hear the infamous quad mix.....

John: There could very well be a blu-ray version of this that comes
out. We are transferring the audio at 192Khz/24 bit, and the
mastermind behind this project is a big blu-ray advocate. I will talk
with him and see what he thinks.

It all comes down to whether or not we can get the funds together and
meet our deadline....."

"We have contacted Maben, and he has been very helpful. But he is not
directly involved with this project. This is not to be an 'official'
DVD of any kind. This is a by the fans - for the fans project, to
preserve a piece of history. Universal Music and Maben currently have
no plans for a blu-ray or anniversary edition of the film, and it
seems the Floyd have no interest in the film either. After the release
of the directors cut, I am not sure if we would want another version
of this film from Maben. Once completed, the film will be distributed
on the internet through some of those torrent sites.... Not Yeeshkul,
unfortunately. If you would like to donate, but are unwilling to
download, PM me and I will mail you a copy free of charge.

Since neither Nick Mason, or Adrian Maben seem know if the multitracks
or quad masters for this film still exist, this could quite possibly
be the only chance we have to hear a multi channel mix of this film."

"In the event we don't raise the needed funds, we will issue refunds
immediately in the way the money was originally received."

"As of today, we only need 400 more dollars to get this completed.
We're really really close. Tell your families, friends, neighbors, and
other fellow Floyd fans!!! I know we can pull this off! We have a
deadline of June 25th. If you care to donate, that is when we need it
by. Thank you to everyone so far for your support. It's appreciated!"
> >http://img710.imageshackdot us/img710/1337/pompeii22.jpg
Message has been deleted

flytomars

Jun 22, 2012, 1:55:35 AM6/22/12
to SurroundSound
Thanks Grill for the detailed response, this definately answers most
of my questions!
I am donating, this is definately one of those things I was looking
for for a long time.
I remember there were rumors about a surround laserdisk version, but I
didnt see any real confirmation for that (apart for one site that has
a serial number for it),
Nobody seems to have it or know of its existence which is very odd...
So a blu-ray of the original film / quad is definately a holy grail
for me :)
Message has been deleted

Steven Sullivan

Jun 22, 2012, 2:42:25 PM6/22/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

> Why didnt the ultra expensive Yes blu ray have a quad decoded channel,
> instead it has a horrific upmix from the mono channel?

I suspect they did not have the original soundtrack or video to work with
in the first place.

(Also even if they had it, the 'quad' would be LCR + mono surrounds.)

> Also- I got the rolling stones DVD - ladies and gentlement- the rolling
> stones, it comes with a reproduction of the poster, which says - "for the
> first time ever- presented in quad sound!" and this is from 1974, how
> does
> this bode with pompeii being done in 72?

Perhaps this means the Stones for the first time ever in quad.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steven Sullivan

Jun 22, 2012, 9:43:09 PM6/22/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
> Steve,
> You probably got an answer all ready, but it seems like the original
> prints have been lost, maybe for good, and that all the versions that
> have surfaced so far are made from some sort of beat up production
> copy.
> Such a shame, as 1) obviously a very intesting period in their career.
> and
> 2) some of the dudes in the band could use
> the money, and a spiffed up version would
> be pretty well received.
> You never know, a good copy might eventually resurface, or maybe even
> audio only versions that could re added to the existing video. Wouldn't
> be the strangest thing to happen.

True. But it seems that there isn't a fanbase as dedicated to tracking down
such things, as there is for Pink Floyd -- I'm not sure anyone even knows
where the *director* of "Yessongs" is these days, much less the work parts
of the film. And like Pink Floyd, Yes itself rarely seems interested in
pursuing such detective work either.

Message has been deleted

August Bleed

Jun 22, 2012, 10:14:51 PM6/22/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the back story.  OTOH, aren't there a lot of overlapping artists in these circles who could be crowd sourced to volunteer the labor involved in recolorization and such.  Once digitized parts of the film could be sent to various video and photo wizards thus taking some of the enormous financials out of the equation.  I suspect most folks would be willing to work as an act of love.  I would suspect on this group there are probably at least a few such folks.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM, grill <gr...@index.hu> wrote:
Hello Sam! Thank you for your valuable input. I wish you full success
in this grandiose project. Regarding blu-ray imo that would be the
most appropriate format. Blu doesn't only mean HD video but it can
deliver lossless HD audio, too. Also, blu-ray format fully supports SD
(aka DVD) video resolution.  So I wish you could do such a blu-ray
release.

On jún. 22, 09:39, supervehicle <sjslei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I just thought I'd come here to address, correct, and reiterate some of the
> things that've been discussed in regard to this topic.
>
> This project is intended as an update to a previous effort of mine, being
> the "Restored 1974 Cut" of *Live at Pompeii* that can be found on Demonoid,
> as will this upcoming update. Although we'll be working with a 35mm print
> of the film this time around, the only thing that's being transfered is the
> quadraphonic sound. I would love to do a 4K scan of the print, but
> something like this would be very costly, and the color has faded quite
> significantly, meaning that extensive restoration would be necessary revive
> the film to its former glory.
>
> As for whether or not I will be putting out a Blu-ray Disc of this project,
> the answer is a rational no, only because of the source material. I'm
> working with the "Original Concert Film" as found on the Director's Cut DVD
> and a transfer of the Vestron LaserDisc. The quad mix, on the other hand, I
> will most likely make available as an uncompressed WAV file and/or a
> lossless DVD-A; it will also be available on the Restored '74 Cut DVD, but
> in the form of a lossy Dolby Digital track.
>
> The film's original elements do still exist. Yes, the negatives and
> multi-tracks (from which a new 5.1 mix can be made) are still with us. I
> have personally spoken to Adrian Maben, and he confirmed this... however,
> he doesn't know what ever became of the master for the quad mix (which
> would make this project that much more important). So an HD release of the
> film is very much a possibility, it's only a matter of time before such a
> thing sees the light of day. Money is the main thing, at the moment, that's
> preventing this from progressing any further. Universal doesn't seem
> willing to set aside a reasonable amount of cash for Adrian & Co. to work
> with, but it will happen eventually.
>
> Oh, and one last thing, in response to something *flytomars *brought up: *Ladies
> and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones* may've very well been the first film to
> feature a discrete, "four corners" quad mix; although *Pompeii* was first
> released in 1972, the quad mix appeared two years later, accompanying the
> 1974 version of the film (which added the interview and "behind-the-scenes
> of DSOTM" segments). And I believe that *Ladies and Gentlemen *was released
> earlier in the year than *Pompeii*.
>
> *If you would like to donate for this cause, all donations can be sent to
> sjsleiman AT gmail.com via PayPal. The deadline is the 24th of this month.
> So please donate if you can, and share the news of this project with those
> who you think may be interested.*
> *
> *
> -Sam
>

> On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:43:29 AM UTC-7, grill wrote:
>
> >http://img710.imageshackdot us/img710/1337/pompeii22.jpg

> > More at AFG members area.- Idézett szöveg elrejtése -

August
Bleed, Inc.
Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To a Leash And Walking It Like a Dog

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

froes

Aug 20, 2012, 4:08:24 AM8/20/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
...and nothing ever happens and I wonder?
Are there any news about this project?

As I already wroto to Grill: I found a DVD of it having a 5.0 mix on it.

grill

Aug 20, 2012, 8:54:40 AM8/20/12
to SurroundSound
The project is underway. At this point, they think mid September is a
safe bet for release.
Message has been deleted

flytomars

Oct 16, 2012, 7:08:27 PM10/16/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Mid september was here and went, any news?

grill

Oct 29, 2012, 5:29:19 PM10/29/12
to SurroundSound
DVDA is out at TPBay.
> > > As I already wroto to Grill: I found a DVD of it having a 5.0 mix on it.- Idézett szöveg elrejtése -
Message has been deleted

grill

Oct 29, 2012, 6:43:27 PM10/29/12
to SurroundSound
Everything's alright on my side. The D/L is at 83% atm and we should
be patient until we have more than one seeder.

On okt. 29, 23:21, ceplas...@aol.com wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.  At the moment it seems like attempting to download is being blocked.  Is there any chance Fios is messing around with my attempts?  Heard that Comcast was doing that in the past.    - CP

Stephen Disney

Oct 30, 2012, 2:24:33 AM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Awesomesauce!

Neb-Maat-Re

Oct 30, 2012, 5:38:47 AM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up, Grill!  Fantastic find!

August Bleed

Oct 30, 2012, 12:42:20 PM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
are you serious???!?!?  I got chewed the f--- out by this group not a month ago for even vaguely suggesting that P2P sites actually existed, and now everyone is like cheers?!?! Let's fire up the ole bittorrent?!!?!  If I remember all I did was link to a story on the front page of every news organization on that particular day.  Is this indignation only limited to when I bring up the subject?  Just curious to what happened to all the folks so outraged just a month ago for something much less egregious than this?  Anyway I'm glad you posted it--I was just a bit surprised no one jumped on you for it.  I know my inbox was filled for a good long time with chastisements and such.  Weird.

lokkerman

Oct 30, 2012, 2:24:47 PM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

It may have to do with some of the members of the group actually being involved in the project and If I remember correctly helping with source material.

August Bleed

Oct 30, 2012, 2:27:08 PM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
ahh...ok my apologies...just thought it very odd.  I do seem to recall some mention of it on a kickstarter or something.  That would explain it.

flytomars

Oct 30, 2012, 4:15:06 PM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Holy cow!
This thing is a holy grail for me, even before I knew it existed-
one of my childhood dreams was to be able to listen to pink floyd in surround, ever since I heard there was such an option,
and pompeii is probably my favourite setlist from post barrett floyd (Atom heart mother too has a warm place in my heart).
Anyway, the mix is a mixed bag, some of it is just ok, but some of it is mindblowing as my teenage self imagined it to be :)
The biggest surprise is saucerful of secrets which benefits the most from the surround mix, IMHO.
Carefull with that axe is also great, as are some parts of echoes.
Not that I am complaining about the rest, but these parts are the one that stood up on a first listen.
These were the best 10$ I spent in the last year :)

Stephen Disney

Oct 30, 2012, 5:03:24 PM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
No one is posting a direct link for one thing.  Second... TPB is hardly a secret.  Meanwhile other sources languor in relative anonymity (and thus, hopefully, security).

Gary Minato

Oct 30, 2012, 5:22:17 PM10/30/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

Alejandro Valdez

Oct 31, 2012, 8:29:22 AM10/31/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, I searched for it at TPB but I´m not sure which one should I get, please can someone send me a PM and point me in the right direction?

Steven Sullivan

Oct 31, 2012, 5:19:08 PM10/31/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com

The one I see, created July 2012,  says it's 4.0, not 5.0.

True, misprint, or is there another?

RW

Nov 15, 2012, 11:34:27 AM11/15/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Well, I cannot seem to search for ANYTHING on TPB. Every time I click in the Search Box it spawns a browser window with some bullshit dating service. It's a damn shame that TPB has stooped this low, they used to be so good...

-RW-

Richard

Nov 15, 2012, 11:45:15 AM11/15/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
It's on the blog

Well, I cannot seem to search for ANYTHING on TPB. Every time I click in the Search Box it spawns a browser window with some bullshit dating service. It's a damn shame that TPB has stooped this low, they used to be so good...

-RW-

RW

Nov 16, 2012, 2:57:40 AM11/16/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, OD!!  I now have my copy and will be sure to make it available to my fellow Hubbers.  Thanks, lads!

-RW-

Richard

Nov 16, 2012, 3:53:04 AM11/16/12
to surrou...@googlegroups.com
It's already available on the hub via me, but as long as it's kept in the same format it'll be another to feed from