[Strange Maine] Weird field in Bingham?

Michelle

Aug 26, 2009, 9:58:37 PM8/26/09
to strang...@googlegroups.com
Dear fellow Strange Mainers, please find following an inquiry from another of your number regarding a remembered weird Maine spot:
Quick question, I grew up in Maine (Bingham) and my buddies in high school used to get a big kick out of this spot off 201 between Skowhegan and Fairfield. I want to say is was on the Hinckley road in Clinton (rte 23) but can’t really remember.

Anyway, it was this weird field with crazy mounds and hills shaped like humans dug into the earth. And rock circles and all kinds of stuff. My buddy said there was a orphanage across the street in a big abandoned farm house, but it wasn’t really an orphanage because it was run by a cult and they used to human sacrifice the babies. I’m sure he was full of sh*t but the field was really crazy. I still remember it, I wish I had pictures.

--
Posted By Michelle to Strange Maine at 8/26/2009 09:51:00 PM

Mike Marino

Aug 27, 2009, 3:51:45 PM8/27/09
to strang...@googlegroups.com
I know the field. Those indents are from test holes an rocks being removed for clearing the field for gardening that never followed through. The rocks around the holes were placed as a prank I suspect to make it look creepier.

I'm just guessing that was your question.

MAJMOM

Aug 29, 2009, 1:44:29 PM8/29/09
to strangemaine
They were not INDENTS...they were huge MOUNDS and they were very
creepy to look at. They are off the Hinckley road by the Hinckley
bridge on a road called River Road which heads back to Benton. I have
been by them numerous times and have heard the cult stories. I can't
imagine they were made from just clearing the land for a garden. It is
so overgrown now that you can hardly see them anymore.