Storm 0.6.1 release candidate available

nathanmarz

Dec 18, 2011, 4:08:36 AM12/18/11
to storm-user
A release candidate for Storm 0.6.1 is available for download. You can
download it here:

https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/downloads

It's also available from Maven with the version "0.6.1-rc"

The focus of this release is Nimbus. I've rewritten a majority of
Nimbus's internals to make it easier to give it complex behaviors
(while still remaining completely fault-tolerant).

Give it a shot and let me know your feedback. I'm planning on
releasing 0.6.1 towards the end of this week.

Here's what's new in this release:

1. storm client "activate" and "deactivate" commands: These each take
the name of the topology and will activate and deactivate the
topology, respectively. When a topology is deactivated Storm will stop
calling the nextTuple method of spouts.

2. storm client "rebalance" command: When you expand a cluster you
oftentimes want to spread the load of an existing topology across the
whole cluster without having to resubmit it from scratch. The
rebalance command lets you do this in a safe way. You use it like
this: "storm rebalance mytopology". Storm will then deactivate the
topology for the message timeout, and then it will reassign the
workers and activate the topology. You can override the message
timeout with the "-w" flag, just like the kill command.

3. Fixed Nimbus issue that would manifest itself as "stormconf.ser"
file cannot be found and would require a reset of all the state in the
cluster.

4. Topology jar path now passed in using a java property rather than
an environment variable. This should help with running topologies from
Windows as well as with building tooling around Storm.

5. LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is now set on worker processes
appropriately.

6. Replaced jvyaml with snakeyaml. UTF-8 YAML files should now work
properly.

7. Upgraded httpclient, httpcore, and commons-codec dependencies.

stone

Dec 18, 2011, 10:58:24 PM12/18/11
to storm...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,

Thanks for your hard work.

BTW: what's the ETA of Storm's testing facilities for Java API ? It's indispensable for writing unit tests for Storm Topologies.

Nathan Marz

Dec 19, 2011, 2:27:27 PM12/19/11
to storm...@googlegroups.com
I'll see if I can get to this for 0.6.2. In the meantime, learn Clojure :)
--
Twitter: @nathanmarz
http://nathanmarz.com

Ashley Brown

Dec 21, 2011, 12:30:31 PM12/21/11
to storm...@googlegroups.com
A release candidate for Storm 0.6.1 is available for download.

I'm going to give this a test tomorrow (Thursday) morning UK time, so will let you know if I spot anything untoward.

Ashley Brown

Dec 22, 2011, 5:11:43 AM12/22/11
to storm...@googlegroups.com

A release candidate for Storm 0.6.1 is available for download.

I'm going to give this a test tomorrow (Thursday) morning UK time, so will let you know if I spot anything untoward.

Looks OK to me, although I haven't had time to check the rebalance command.