Vim geekout?

Nate

Aug 19, 2010, 2:46:52 PM8/19/10
to St. Louis Perl Mongers
There was also talk of a more regular meeting of Vim freaks.

I'm interested in this meetup -- who can I contact regarding this?

Thanks,
--Nate

Steven Pritchard

Aug 19, 2010, 6:36:17 PM8/19/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:46:52AM -0700, Nate wrote:
> There was also talk of a more regular meeting of Vim freaks.
>
> I'm interested in this meetup -- who can I contact regarding this?

I'll volunteer space at the Computer Room, if anyone is willing to drive
to the Illinois side of the river. :-)

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard Computer Room
Email: st...@computerroom.us http://www.computerroom.us/

Bill Odom

Aug 20, 2010, 3:04:12 PM8/20/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Nate <natha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was also talk of a more regular meeting of Vim freaks.

Yeah, I've considered doing something like this for years, but to be
honest, I never really thought there would be enough interest.
Wednesday's turnout tells me I might have underestimated the
potential. :-)

> I'm interested in this meetup -- who can I contact regarding this?

I'm guessing that's me. We can start the conversation here, and figure
out where to go next.

Bill

Andy Lester

Aug 20, 2010, 3:05:27 PM8/20/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 20, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Bill Odom wrote:

> Yeah, I've considered doing something like this for years, but to be
> honest, I never really thought there would be enough interest.
> Wednesday's turnout tells me I might have underestimated the
> potential. :-)

Start by discussing the ack.vim plugin. Good crossover, and I've just started playing with it myself. I like!

xoa

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.theworkinggeek.com => AIM:petdance

Bill Odom

Aug 20, 2010, 3:13:13 PM8/20/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> wrote:

> Start by discussing the ack.vim plugin.  Good crossover, and I've just started
> playing with it myself.  I like!

Yep, I'm already a satisfied customer. ack is great, of course, and
having it nicely integrated right into vim is sweet.

Bill

Nathan Neff

Aug 20, 2010, 3:29:23 PM8/20/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com

Hmm. I thought it was lame, compared to the grep.vim plugin. Maybe
I'm missing something.
The grep.vim plugin uses external find/grep/xargs, and I've been using
it for awhile now. It does
recursive searches, and I have hacked it to be able to bypass the
prompts for directory, file type, and
search terms. For example, in Grails projects, I have a shortcut that
only prompts for the text to search.
Rgrep then searches in the Grails project directory, and searches
*.gsp *.groovy files.

I'd like to see the benefits of the Ack plugin, though.

> Bill

Bill Odom

Aug 20, 2010, 3:56:00 PM8/20/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Nathan Neff <natha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see the benefits of the Ack plugin, though.

The primary benefit of the ack plugin is that it uses ack. :-)

Slightly more seriously... the grep.vim plugin doesn't provide much
more functionality for me than vim's native :grep, :grepadd, etc.,
commands, at least not for the way I typically use them. I very rarely
want to specify grep-vs-fgrep-vs-egrep behavior, for example, and I
can do recursive searches with the ** pattern. (The easy access to
agrep is nice, but I almost never use it.)

Ack.vim is very simple -- it integrates ack into vim such that :grep,
:grepadd, etc., continue to work as before, just *better*, since now
they use ack instead of grep.

Bill

maizeMU

Aug 27, 2010, 11:20:33 AM8/27/10
to St. Louis Perl Mongers
Who is teaching the Oct 4 Vim Fandango all-day class mentioned at
http://www.computerroom.us/?

Bill Odom

Aug 30, 2010, 1:39:22 AM8/30/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM, maizeMU <mai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Who is teaching the Oct 4 Vim Fandango all-day class mentioned at
> http://www.computerroom.us/?

That will be (mostly) me, though both Steve and I will be involved in
both classes ("vi Basics" on September 27th and "Vim Fandango" on
October 4th).

These classes came about due to the response to the Perl Mongers
presentation -- or more accurately, to the word-of-mouth campaign
ahead of the presentation. I was concerned that very few people would
care about the topic, and I'd end up talking to a mostly-empty room,
so Steve was one of several people that kindly spread the word to try
to keep that from happening. (I'd say he and the others were pretty
successful, given the crowd that we had.)

It turns out that many of the people he spoke with expressed interest
in not just the presentation, but on something more hands-on and
in-depth. A couple of quick chats with me later, and he posted the two
class announcements you can see on the Computer Room website.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. This is a subject I really enjoy,
people want to know a lot more about it, and the Computer Room's a
great training space. This should be a lot of fun.

Thanks,
Bill

Steven Pritchard

Sep 3, 2010, 8:35:10 PM9/3/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com

FWIW, I set up a site yesterday...

http://www.vimgeeks.org/

We should schedule a meeting, say maybe toward the end of this month?

Gary Meyer

Sep 7, 2010, 6:06:03 PM9/7/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 02:04:12PM -0500, Bill Odom wrote:

Bill is doing ANOTHER version of his thoughts on VIm TOMMORROW nite
at the SLUUG monthly general mtng.

We'll also discuss possible/probable follow-on workshops / geekouts.

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:04:54PM -0500, Matt Follett wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>=20
>> Bill gave a brief taste of this talk at last month's STL-PM Lightning =
Talks.
>> Although he barely had a chance to dig in it looks like a really =
awesome
>> talk.
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> Matt Follett
>=20
>=20
> As Matt expected, Bill's talk was VERY well recieved. And he =
still had
> more to say than he had time. So, he'll continue by speaking THIS =
week
> at SLUUG's monthly general mtng on WEDNESDAY nite.
>=20
> You did NOT have to be there at Perl Mongers'. This talk =
stands on its own.
>=20
> Also, there is talk of an ongoing VIm geekout workgroup to be =
organized to
> have ongoing get togethers. =20
>=20
>=20
> Wed Sept 8 @7:30 =20
>=20
> (Tutorial & Q&A on other topics = beforehand @ 6:30)
>=20
> SLUUG -St. Louis UNIX Users' Grp
>=20
> Monthly General mtng.

> @ Graybar Electric Co., Inc. , facility at 11885 Lackland Rd.
> i.e. Page & I-270 i.e. WestPort Plaza
> http://www.sluug.org/resources/meeting_info/map_graybar.shtml
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Vim (NOT Fandango!)
> by Bill Odom.
>=20
>=20
> Bill did a great presentation on VIM 2 weeks
> ago at Perl Mongers. This will NOT be the same
> presentation!
>=20
> NEW APPLICATIONS!
>=20
> NEW EXAMPLES!
>=20
> OLD JOKES!
>=20
>=20
> Bill has more material to explore but you =
didn't=20
> need to be there for the earlier talk. Its fine
> to pick it up at this point.
>=20
> This presentaion on the "Vi IMproved" text
> editor is much more than a tutorial. It has
> two major goals:
>=20
> * Give people who'd never used vim before an
> * idea of its power, and whet their appetites
> * so they'd want to learn more.
>=20
> * Show more experienced vim users one or more
> * new features, techniques, or tricks that
> * they could use immediately.
> =20
> A tutorial wouldn't do much to convince the
> first group that vim was worth their time,
> and a tutorial would've just bored the
> second. With that said, there's a lot of
> desire for solid tutorial content from people
> that are already convinced that vim is
> something they want to better understand.
> =20
> With enough continued interest, we may expect =
many
> short focused vim tutorials in tutorials in
> the future...or maybe workshops.
>=20
>=20
> Bill Odom builds left handed widgets, which
> he discards because he is right handed. Or =
is
> it the other way around?=20
>=20
>=20
>>> About Bill Odom:
>>>=20
>>> Bill is a long time developer and well known member in the Perl
>>> community, and was president of The Perl Foundation from 2005 to =
2007.
>>> He has worked in many languages for companies in the Midwest and =
both
>>> coasts, from ActionScript to XSLT, but keeps finding his way back to
>>> Perl.
>>> ----- End forwarded message -----
>=20
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Matt Follett

Sep 7, 2010, 6:09:52 PM9/7/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
Having attended both of the last two I would very highly recommend going to Bill's talk. Of course, I think Bill's talk was one of the best attended STL-PM talks this year so you guys probably know that already.

Thanks,
Matt Follett

Gary Meyer

Sep 8, 2010, 2:36:20 AM9/8/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
And Matt VERY politely did NOT comment about my LOUSY
formatting of the message.

Well...actually it was a ("cough") carefully planned ;-)
demonstration of what Bill had said in his last talk about dangers
of editing line endings, etc. between editors, etc. And, I may find
that in my notes from last time -OR- maybe TONITE Bill can explain again
what I did wrong when I jumped between VIm and Nano! Yep...just
setting up the demo!

But, just so you can read it more easily...below is a
repaired & reformatted version of TONITE's announcement.
All of the extraneous equla sins and "=20"s have been removed.

See y'all TONITE (Wednesday) at 7:30. (Or come to the
UNIX tutorial @ 6:30 as well.)

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 05:09:52PM -0500, Matt Follett wrote:
> Having attended both of the last two I would very highly recommend going to Bill's talk. Of course, I think Bill's talk was one of the best attended STL-PM talks this year so you guys probably know that already.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Follett
>
> On Sep 7, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Gary Meyer wrote:

> >> Yeah, I've considered doing something like this for years, but to be
> >> honest, I never really thought there would be enough interest.
> >> Wednesday's turnout tells me I might have underestimated the
> >> potential. :-)

> >> I'm guessing that's me. We can start the conversation here, and figure
> >> out where to go next.
> >

> > Bill is doing ANOTHER version of his thoughts on VIm TOMMORROW nite
> > at the SLUUG monthly general mtng.
> >
> > We'll also discuss possible/probable follow-on workshops / geekouts.

> >> As Matt expected, Bill's talk was VERY well recieved. And he

> >> still had more to say than he had time. So, he'll continue by

> >> speaking THIS week at SLUUG's monthly general mtng on WEDNESDAY nite.

> >> You did NOT have to be there at Perl Mongers'. This talk

> >> stands on its own.

> >> Also, there is talk of an ongoing VIm geekout workgroup to be

> >> organized to have ongoing get togethers.
> >>

> >> Wed Sept 8 @7:30
> >>

> >> (Tutorial & Q&A on other topics = beforehand @ 6:30)
> >>

> >> SLUUG -St. Louis UNIX Users' Grp
> >>

> >> Monthly General mtng.
> >
> >> @ Graybar Electric Co., Inc. , facility at 11885 Lackland Rd.
> >> i.e. Page & I-270 i.e. WestPort Plaza
> >> http://www.sluug.org/resources/meeting_info/map_graybar.shtml
> >>

> >> Vim (NOT Fandango!)
> >> by Bill Odom.
> >>

> >> Bill did a great presentation on VIM 2 weeks
> >> ago at Perl Mongers. This will NOT be the same
> >> presentation!
> >>

> >> NEW APPLICATIONS!
> >>
> >> NEW EXAMPLES!
> >>
> >> OLD JOKES!
> >>

> >> Bill has more material to explore but you didn't

> >> need to be there for the earlier talk. Its fine
> >> to pick it up at this point.
> >>

> >> This presentaion on the "Vi IMproved" text
> >> editor is much more than a tutorial. It has
> >> two major goals:
> >>

> >> * Give people who'd never used vim before an
> >> * idea of its power, and whet their appetites
> >> * so they'd want to learn more.
> >>

> >> * Show more experienced vim users one or more
> >> * new features, techniques, or tricks that
> >> * they could use immediately.
> >>

> >> A tutorial wouldn't do much to convince the
> >> first group that vim was worth their time,
> >> and a tutorial would've just bored the
> >> second. With that said, there's a lot of
> >> desire for solid tutorial content from people
> >> that are already convinced that vim is
> >> something they want to better understand.
> >>

> >> With enough continued interest, we may expect

> >> many short focused vim tutorials in tutorials
> >> in the future...or maybe workshops.
> >>

> >> Bill Odom builds left handed widgets, which
> >> he discards because he is right handed. Or

> >> is it the other way around?

Gary Meyer

Oct 12, 2010, 3:07:04 AM10/12/10
to stl...@googlegroups.com
As mentioned as a follow-on to Bill's August presentation
at Perl Mongers...

a _VIM Workshop_ by Bill Odum.

This month's session will cover KEY MAPPING in the "Vi IMproved" editor.
It's fundamental to customizing the Vim interface, and it touches on
other topics (like modes and motions) that are worth reinforcing.

This will be one of many Vim geekout worksession over the next few
months. They will frequently fill the timeslot formerly used by the
basic/tutorial session. Bring your laptop and "hack along with the rest
of us trying out the commands and code as we go".

SLUUG
St. Louis Unix Users' Group

monthly general mtng

Graybar Electric Co, Inc.
Wed, October 13, 6:30pm . 9:00pm
11885 Lackland Road, Maryland Heights, MO 63146

See http://www.sluug.org/ for map & other info.

Bill & VIm are the early part of the mtng. The later part is Amazon Web Services (AWS)
by Scott Granneman & Jans Carton.

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 05:09:52PM -0500, Matt Follett wrote:
> > Having attended both of the last two I would very highly recommend going to Bill's talk.
> > Of course, I think Bill's talk was one of the best attended
> > STL-PM talks this year so you guys probably know that already.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt Follett

As mentioned, we hope to do a workshop/geekout as the first 1/2 hour or so
of the SLUUG monthly general mtng. We'll do this for some (many) of the upcoming
months. Specific topics suggestions are welcome.