24" X 3" Tires

Paul_G

May 18, 2011, 5:24:03 PM5/18/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sold yet on the Street tires that came with my Bomber for long life and flat resistance so I started to look at whats out there for 24x2.5" or 24x3". There isn't a lot I found so far.

and

#1 would look way cool in white walls...lol

Post others if you find them

Paul G

Jérôme Daoust

May 18, 2011, 5:46:30 PM5/18/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Good topic Paul.

Is 24x3" the original size of your street tires, or is it 24x2.5" ?

Looking at the website for Maxxis / Hookworm:
http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Hookworm.aspx
in 24", the only width is 2.5"

Thanks,
- Jerome

Paul_G

May 18, 2011, 5:51:17 PM5/18/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
they are 2.5's but look like 3"'s to me :)

How about white tires?

Paul G

Paul_G

May 18, 2011, 5:58:07 PM5/18/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com

Jérôme Daoust

May 18, 2011, 6:37:28 PM5/18/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Whatever you do, do NOT get these:
Schwalbe / Fat Frank
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/fat_frank
But no problem here since they only seem to be available in 26" or
bigger.

I have them on my Pedego Interceptor and they don't feel too grippy as
I heard them slip a few times when braking hard.

Jim_Kirk

May 18, 2011, 7:48:06 PM5/18/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Here on the MTBR forum are some user review of the Hookworm:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/maxxis/hookworm/PRD_359734_151crx.aspx

Overall rating 4.68/5 which seems pretty good to me.  Maybe its worth sticking with them after all.

-Jim

Kepler

May 19, 2011, 2:29:07 AM5/19/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
I am running the Schwalbe Crazy Bobs. Very happy with these. Great
grip on the road and they even work reasonably well in the dirt. Not
like nobby of cause but good enough for the occasional off road
excursion. I think some of bikes out the factory will be fitted with
these as standard equipment.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/bmx/crazy_bob

On May 19, 9:48 am, Jim_Kirk <jim.kirk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here on the MTBR forum are some user review of the Hookworm:
>
> http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/maxxis/hookworm/PRD_359...

Kepler

May 19, 2011, 2:31:18 AM5/19/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Although they are listed as a BMX tire, they are actually moped rated.

Paul_G

May 28, 2011, 7:02:07 AM5/28/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com

Jim_Kirk

May 28, 2011, 7:56:48 AM5/28/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I see the Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires are now the upgrade listed on the Stealth Web site for the Bomber.  Their size is 60-507 [24" x 2.35"].

I buy my Schwalbe tires directly from Schwalbe North America and here is a link directly to the "Crazy Bob" North America Web Site.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/3652

Alas, they are out of stock now so you may have to shop online if you want these right now.

Paul, if you buy the Electa fatt-O let us know if a 3" width fits in the swingarm.

-Jim

Paul_G

May 28, 2011, 8:04:48 AM5/28/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy with what I have at the moment, just posting any wide tires I find so if in the future I will know where to look if needed.

Paul G

Paul_G

May 28, 2011, 8:11:09 AM5/28/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
nice looking tire

p4pb2286473.jpg
p4pb2286474.jpg

Jim_Kirk

May 28, 2011, 8:21:52 AM5/28/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Paul,
    We won't know if a 3" wide tire works unless you try it for us :).   Good experiment for a rainy day in NY :)

    The Crazy Bob does look nice and Stealth dropped the Hookworm as the upgrade tire.

-Jim

Jérôme Daoust

May 28, 2011, 3:59:08 PM5/28/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
On May 28, 4:56 am, Jim_Kirk <jim.kirk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see the Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires are now the upgrade listed on the Stealth
> Web site for the Bomber.  Their size is 60-507 [24" x 2.35"].
>
> Paul, if you buy the Electa fatt-O let us know if a 3" width fits in the
> swingarm.

I'm glad that the tire upgrade has become a street/dirt compromise.
As long as they are quiet on asphalt, then the most grip possible on
dirt is good.

For this street tire: Electra / Cruiser Fatti-O (Black Wall), size 24"
x 3.0".
This is the manufacturer's webpage:
http://store.electrabike.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/itemDetail.aspx?&page=&store=&node=&itemNum=688336&siteId=0&bulkexists=0
Gromith has a set on his Bomber:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=410973#p410973
But I'm not sold on using a cruiser tire with limited lean angle.

Kepler

May 28, 2011, 5:17:34 PM5/28/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
I have had them on for a couple of months now. Love them. Very very
quiet on asphalt and enough grip in good dirt to still have a heap of
fun. For me as 90 road, 10 off road rider, they are a great
compromise. Width is 2.35 which doesn't sound like much but on the
wide rim, spreads out to a decent width tire. I wouldnt worry about
going 3" unless you are really after that phat look.

Only thing is that tuve seem to be quite difficult to fine. I ended
up using a 2.5" tube. Used plenty of talc when fitting to make sure
there were no creases.

Other point worth mentioning is that they are a moped rated tire.

On May 29, 5:59 am, Jérôme Daoust <eyestothe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 28, 4:56 am, Jim_Kirk <jim.kirk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I see the Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires are now the upgrade listed on the Stealth
> > Web site for the Bomber.  Their size is 60-507 [24" x 2.35"].
>
> > Paul, if you buy the Electa fatt-O let us know if a 3" width fits in the
> > swingarm.
>
> I'm glad that the tire upgrade has become a street/dirt compromise.
> As long as they are quiet on asphalt, then the most grip possible on
> dirt is good.
>
> For this street tire: Electra / Cruiser Fatti-O (Black Wall), size 24"
> x 3.0".
> This is the manufacturer's webpage:http://store.electrabike.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/itemDetail.as...

Paul_G

May 29, 2011, 2:13:49 PM5/29/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I need to replace the tires, got a flat in the rear, 1/2" cut in the tire. I had Mr Tuffy tire seal in the tubes and it leaked but got me home the 20 miles with 3 air ups. The stuff was black going in but I saw blue stuff coming out the hole. If the hole in the tube is as large as in the tire I'll buy more of the stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tuffy-Tire-Sealer-Bottle/dp/B004V4I4L8

They cut so EZ unlike the Schwalbe that was on the Optibike. After 3400 miles on the Optibike there was not one cut even a small one in the tires. I can see cuts even in the front tire on the Bomber.

They ride nice but thats about it....I'm not into fixing flats :)

Paul G

Paul_G

May 29, 2011, 4:08:40 PM5/29/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
well I found a fault, the rear wheel cant be removed due to the wiring harness connector trapped between the Vboxx and the lower rear shock tank.

Connector should have been on the swing arm IMO, like a Bionx hub motor kit.

Paul G

Jérôme Daoust

May 29, 2011, 4:42:47 PM5/29/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Thanks Paul, that's good to know.
I asked Darin (Stealth USA) + John K, if the disconnect point can be
made more convenient.

- Jerome

Paul_G

May 29, 2011, 5:18:53 PM5/29/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I ordered 2

They wont be armor type tires like on the Opti but the rubber may not cut running over stuff...we will see.

Paul G

Jérôme Daoust

May 29, 2011, 6:40:28 PM5/29/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Hi Paul,

If you tend to get punctures, you can add a Kevlar liner to any tire I
believe.
I think it goes between the inside of the tire and the tube.

Jerome

remf

May 29, 2011, 7:07:12 PM5/29/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Jérôme, I've been looking for 3" wide tire liners but cannot find them anywhere. The closest I can find are brown Mr.Tuffys for 2.35"-2.5" tires. I used them in my Opti for years and never got a flat.

John_W

May 29, 2011, 7:12:18 PM5/29/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Don't think thats is a problem Paul. Just put a bit of weight on the
rear suspension and the gap opens up wide enough to get the large plug
though.

Paul_G

May 29, 2011, 7:26:20 PM5/29/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand, the bike is off the ground on a bike lift, you drop the wheel. add weight to what?

Oh you mean before you drop the wheel or take it up on the lift to lean on the seat so the connector fits through the gap? Might work but I don't see it opening that far but I'll have another try at it as the new tube has a slow leak....%^$#

Paul G

Voicecoils

May 29, 2011, 10:27:06 PM5/29/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Add weight to the sprung part of the bike, ie the frame.

Try taking the bike off the stand and compress the suspension by pushing on the seat. I find that I can push down the seat with my chest and get the frame to sink down enough to get a good gap between the swing arm and gearbox so disconnecting the cables is easier. Using your chest leaves both hands free. Sounds weird, but works well.

Pull on the connector block bodies, not the wires.

Cheers, Abraham

Sent from my iPad

Paul_G

May 30, 2011, 6:50:20 AM5/30/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
That should be in the service manual. With the proper order of removal along with pictures IMO.

The manual would benefit from a total workup in all service areas. How to adjust a chain and center it along with pictures, how to replace a battery. how to trouble shoot an electric problem....etc

I'm an old MC rider and have had a hub motor bike, but for other people this may be the 1st bike like this and they need pic's and a how to guide.

Paul

Jim_Kirk

May 30, 2011, 7:42:57 AM5/30/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Paul,
Using the "push with chest" method were you able to get access and easily separate the connector?  Can you post a picture of the problem area on the bike?

-Jim

Paul_G

May 30, 2011, 7:51:41 AM5/30/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I'll get back to you when I next remove the wheel. I ordered new tires so maybe I'll just slime the tube to fix the slow leak till then.

Paul G

Jim_Kirk

May 30, 2011, 12:24:14 PM5/30/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Paul,
   Seems like an alternative way to get to the connector with the bike on the lift is to remove the shock so the wheel can move upward which might be an improved method over "push with chest."

-Jim

Paul_G

May 30, 2011, 1:58:47 PM5/30/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Its blocked by the lower shock tank under the swing arm, not the shock itself.

Paul G

Voicecoils

May 30, 2011, 4:27:10 PM5/30/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I'm only giving my suggestions based on my experience. Take with a grain of salt & other methods may work better for you. A good excuse for yet another acronym: YMMV

Perhaps the connector is not in the exact same spot on every bike too?

I'm sure Stealth USA / AUS will welcome feedback. I don't know if they monitor the group but a direct email might be the best way to get their attention.

Sent from my iPad

John_W

May 30, 2011, 5:02:05 PM5/30/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
The bike would have gone together with the plug fed between shock tank
and vbox. I've taken my back wheel off quite a few times now using
the method described by Voicecoils. It really isn't an issue. If you
are having trouble Paul, could be that you have the shock tension
wound up. I have mine set quite soft so its easy to get the
deflection for the gap to open up.

Jérôme Daoust

May 30, 2011, 10:42:11 PM5/30/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
On May 30, 1:27 pm, Voicecoils <htfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure Stealth USA / AUS will welcome feedback. I don't know if they monitor the group but a direct email might be the best way to get their attention.

That is a good idea, which I already acted upon:
http://groups.google.com/group/stealth-electric-bikes/msg/553456f098e5ec47

Paul_G

Jun 7, 2011, 6:12:52 PM6/7/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Just received the Crazy Bob's,  EZ to see they are smaller but should offer better traction.

I think I'll wait till I wear out the larger stock tires as I bet the ride wont be as good.

Paul G