Re: Kick Stands

Message has been deleted

Paul_G

Mar 16, 2011, 1:22:41 PM3/16/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
found one that looks right but what are the swing arm measurements of the Bomber?...1"x2"    ???

the hub wires could run outside I would think.

I emailed the kick stand seller and asked as they also do not list the size it fits.

Paul G

Message has been deleted

Paul_G

Mar 16, 2011, 5:18:21 PM3/16/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
found the stand on ebay for $76.95 and the seller will measure the swing arm clamp and get back to me.

here is a picture of the honda its made for, it looks close....the honda real wheel is a 16" but the stand mounts high so IMO it may work and be able to make up the 3-4" diff by mounting it closer to the rear wheel on the Bomber.

Paul G

2006 cr85.jpg

Paul_G

Mar 17, 2011, 6:33:39 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
the ebay seller got back to me, its 2" x 1 3/16"

I still do not know the Bomber swing arm stock size though....any one know?

Paul G

remf

Mar 17, 2011, 7:52:41 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can see, this is the only place a kickstand could go. Can't go on the LHS because of cabling. Measurements are approximate.
Bomber kickstand.png

Jim_Kirk

Mar 17, 2011, 8:04:33 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Remf,
    All kickstands I've seen for bikes and motorcycles are left hand side [LHS].  I'd suggest it must go on the left hand side to make users comfortable with what they have used before.  Now, how to do it?

Here is a bracket that could be welded to a Stealth Bomber and to which a kickstand could attach.
http://www.jakirk.com/850XLi_1/Pictures/Bracket_on_bike_2.png

Here's a suggested kickstand Paul found:
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item?action=ShowImage&secure=0&id=450__0.jpg&desc=

Here's the Opti with a LHS kickstand:
http://www.jakirk.com/850XLi_1/RohloffInstall/content/_4452886976_large.html

I think the design can be done with a LHS kickstand and, I would suggest, the Stealth will have far wider acceptance if it follows convention with a LHS kickstand.

In my opinion this is not a trivial add on and it will be a show stopper for some.

-Jim

remf

Mar 17, 2011, 8:25:57 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Jim, I'm pretty sure it's not possible on the LHS due to the clearance needed from the rotor and the motor & brake cabling. Now of course you can go and reroute the cabling in a complex manner, virtually redesigning the bike to fit the kickstand on the LHS but I doubt very much that Stealth would do this. Could make for an interesting project in the right workshop though.

Jim_Kirk

Mar 17, 2011, 8:49:01 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Remf,
    The picture of my bracket is taken for a Stealth Fighter but is the Stealth Bomber significantly different than this?

    What I was thinking is that you would take the Greenfield kickstand [or equivalent but higher strength] remove the screw that attaches the kickstand assembly to the underside of the kickstand bracket and then mount the Greenfield kickstand to the Bomber bracket.  Of course the Bomber bracket would have to be welded to the LHS swingarm and would have to remain clear of your rear heel when pedaling.  This should be possible don't you think [a little wood model of the bracket and some double stick tape should prove this out]?

    Why would I have to reroute any cables or worry about the rotor in the Bomber if I use the bracket and its welded to the swingarm and the kickstand attaches to the underside of the bracket?

-Jim

remf

Mar 17, 2011, 8:52:38 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Well actually your LHS bracket mockup would work without recabling... though I envisaged it being a  much larger anchor to the swingarm due to the size & weight the stand would need to be to support the weight. The Bomber is twice the weight of an Opti, I don't think a Greenfield stand, even strengthened, would stand up to it.

Jim_Kirk

Mar 17, 2011, 9:08:29 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Remf,
    The LHS bracket plus kickstand needs to move from a concept to a V1.0 prototype.  Since this involves welding to the swingarm its has got to be a factory effort not a user effort.  Best I could offer is a concept [subject to change as needed but still LHS] and I would test, strengthen everything that might look weak [but not the bracket that's untouchable from my viewpoint] and then feedback the improvements.
    We also have Paul's wrap around kickstand which he will try independent of what comes from my suggestion.

-Jim

Paul_G

Mar 17, 2011, 9:23:43 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
The cabling should be fine where it is and would run under the swing are mount stand I found without any changes.

Paul G

Paul_G

Mar 17, 2011, 9:55:42 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I enlarged the swing arm stand picture, all we need is for someone to measure the Bomber swing arm size to see if it will mount without making a new bracket.

The stand is  2" X 1 3/16" or about 50 X 30 mm

The Bomber is?

Paul G

remf

Mar 17, 2011, 10:17:21 PM3/17/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Paul it's tapered, so at the point least likely to interefere, it's approx 45 x 21. You'd have to weld it.

Paul_G

Mar 18, 2011, 5:45:02 AM3/18/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Great news thats its smaller, a hardwood shim is EZ to make, the only issue now is the length and will it need extending?

Thanks for the info

Paul G

Paul_G

Mar 24, 2011, 6:09:48 PM3/24/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
The kick stand arrived, to bad I don't have the bike to try it on yet :)

IMO it may be about 2" short (see pic's) or the bike will lean over to far and it's also over kill for a bomber, I think it must be 1.5 lbs but the stand spring will never let it drop down landing off a jump as its a hev spring.

Just need to paint it black and maybe extend it 2".

Paul G
DSC01318.jpg
DSC01319.jpg
DSC01320.jpg

Jim_Kirk

Mar 24, 2011, 6:53:24 PM3/24/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
That kickstand looks very sturdy. It will be interesting to see how
well it fits on the swingarm.

One thing I would suggest is to replace the bolts with 316 stainless
steel, which you can find at McMaster Carr.

-Jim
>  DSC01318.jpg
> 95KViewDownload
>
>  DSC01319.jpg
> 85KViewDownload
>
>  DSC01320.jpg
> 75KViewDownload

Paul_G

Mar 24, 2011, 7:09:28 PM3/24/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com, Jim_Kirk
keep in mind the stand is for a 300 lb MC

The bolts are SFC 8.8 what ever that is :)

Paul G

voicecoils

Mar 24, 2011, 8:31:55 PM3/24/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
looks promising! I'm looking forward to seeing how far back you end up
mounting it so that you don't interfere with your feet and the pedals.

stainless hardware will be nice for rust prevention.

with the stand bolted on tight, i think there is a good chance the
swingarm paint will get damaged, putting it at risk of rusting as
well.

cheers!

Paul_G

May 6, 2011, 5:35:01 PM5/6/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
well my baby arrived today and I just set her up, kick stand length is perfect just needed to add a few wood shims.

Paul G
DSC01349.jpg
DSC01350.jpg
DSC01351.jpg

Paul_G

May 6, 2011, 7:52:57 PM5/6/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
this is where I bought the kick stand, was not cheap but EZ to install,

The mount bracket fits in back of the disk will lots of space as I shimmed it on the outside.

$76.95 its made for a small 300 lb Honda MC

Paul G

Ambrose Liao

May 6, 2011, 8:13:58 PM5/6/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Gorgeous bikes. You have to paint that wood black though!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Paul_G

May 6, 2011, 8:19:28 PM5/6/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Thanks :)

Painted back right after I took the pic;s....I figured it would show better unpainted.

Paul G

Paul_G

May 24, 2011, 9:21:52 PM5/24/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
a few pic's, it looks bad up close but looks good a few feet away...lol

Notice it clears the rotor just fine slid all the way back against the clapper bracket and is in back of the rotor.

Paul G

Attachments (2)
DSC01442.jpg
215 KB   View   Download
DSC01446.jpg
217 KB   View   Download

Jérôme Daoust

May 25, 2011, 5:36:15 PM5/25/11
to Stealth Electric Bikes
Why ?

Sure, it is possible to add a kickstand, but what is the typical use?
You do NOT need one when...
a) You are on it, riding.
b) During transport on a carrier.

There are disadvantages to adding a kickstand:
a) Extra weight and in this case unsprung, since it is far from the
swingarm pivot.
b) Possibly scratching your swingarm where it clamps.
c) The leg of the stand may bounce while you ride over terrain: Extra
noise and wear.
d) One more thing that can grab onto foliage as you ride.
e) Looks like an obvious afterthought to compensate for a missing
feature.
f) False sense of security: Bike can easily be knocked over while you
brag about it.
g) Kickstand solution becomes less interesting if adding significant
weight onto a rear rack, raising CG.

When you temporarily stop, you can set it on a its side. Having to
lift about half the bike's 116 lb to bring it upright should be OK,
even for an old guy like me. When you store it at home, you can have a
dedicated holder waiting there.

Maybe the best use of a side stand is for taking pictures of the bike
in the desert, where there is nothing to lean it against. But then
again, maybe a pretty girl walking by can be asked to hold it for a
moment.

Less is more?
- Jerome

Jim_Kirk

May 25, 2011, 6:42:51 PM5/25/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Jerome,
    Biggest reason is convenience.
http://www.jakirk.com/850XLi_1/RohloffInstall/content/_0365437052_large.html
    Paul's solution was a deciding factor in me buying the Bomber.   Very important to me.

-Jim

Paul_G

May 31, 2011, 1:19:10 PM5/31/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
I lost a 2nd wood shim so I drilled and put in 2 screws into the wood block to keep that puppy where I want it.

Jim even with the plastic wood you plan to use I would drill and add a few short screws.

Looks like crap in a close up but just fine standing up...lol:)

Paul G
DSC01478.jpg

Jim_Kirk

May 31, 2011, 5:53:28 PM5/31/11
to stealth-ele...@googlegroups.com
Well, you certainly won't loose that piece of word.  I'll do the same with my plastic lumber-looks like a good solution.

-Jim