Find a Cofounder Event

Mike Brenner

Oct 7, 2010, 7:47:21 AM10/7/10
to Startup Baltimore
If you're interested in a cofounder matchmaking / speed dating event
here in Baltimore then join the planning discussion!

There will be an initial planning sesh at Hudson Street Stackhouse on
Thursday, October 14th at 6pm. (http://HudsonStreetStackhouse.com)

Some examples of this deployed successfully:

+ "Find-A-Founder" in Dallas, TX » http://findafounder.eventbrite.com
+ "Find a Co-Founder" in New York City » http://fac3.eventbrite.com
+ "Match Founders" Web-based, ongoing service » http://
MatchFounders.com
+ "Startup Speed Dating" in Austin, TX »
http://www.austinstartup.com/2009/12/startup-speed-dating-this-wednes...
-- Also, read the comments on this post. Some good post-event
feedback.

Nick Yeates

Oct 14, 2010, 11:28:19 AM10/14/10
to Startup Baltimore
Very interesting Mike. I have just found this group founders idea, and
it hits my timing oh so perfectly. I literally today just started
searching blogs on how I might find my way into the ground floor of a
startup. I dont think im ready to initiate a startup quite yet, but I
damned sure would be excited to be co-founding and assisting with one.

I think I just found a place for my baby to go, so I should make it
tonight - I almost thought of bringing her as she is super well
behaved and I have taken her to a bar before :-p Looking fwd to
meeting ppl.

Mike Brenner

Oct 15, 2010, 2:32:44 PM10/15/10
to Startup Baltimore
-- Sending an update from last night's first IPO's and IPA's meetup --

Great turnout last night. Discussed a Find a Cofounder event and it
was suggested to try and hold one of these (name TBD) on or around
Nov. 9th.

Date Challenge – How cool would it be to see some newly formed
relationships test their match by jointly participating in the
Hackathon (http://bhat1.eventbrite.com) a week later! Heck, if they
get this far and can create something cool by Sunday, Paul has even
suggested they be nudged to apply for Techstars NYC. Applications for
TS deadlines at midnight on the 21st (last night of the Hackathon).
Something like this falling into place would be quite a story for
Bmore.

Format – There were some mixed reviews on doing a "speed dating"
event. Decided it might be cool to do part speed dating, part
socializing. The speed dating would be something like 2 - 3 mins per
pair and serve artificially as brief introductions. The socializing
that would follow would allow for a more genuine connection.

Organization – We decided it's best to create a form or spreadsheet
for people to put in their needs, interests, and skill sets -
beforehand. Others will be able to see this and already start to
imagine potential partnerships. Will also help planners maintain a
relative 50-50 ratio.

Requirements – I think it's good to include a "Who should attend / Who
should NOT attend" on the write-up. I really like the list that
FounderDating put together.

Who Should Attend?

FounderDating is for those who are truly committed or ready to
commit to a full-time or very meaningful part-time project to work
on. FounderDating isn’t about finding a job, it’s about finding your
passion. Please come if:

+ You have a specific idea that you would like to work on, but
don’t have the right partner(s)
+ You are a superstar who likes (or doesn’t like) your current
job, but is open to joining a founding team for the right opportunity
+ You are an aspiring entrepreneur open to trying new ideas with
the right mix of people (e.g. it’s OK if you don’t have THE idea yet)

Who should NOT Attend?

+ You are not interested/available to start a new company in the
very short-term (1 month).
+ You are not interested in building something new.
+ You are not committed to working on a full-time or side-project.
+ You have a company and a founding team, you’re just looking for
people to work there.
+ You are a service provider looking for business.
+ You’re an investor looking for leads. There are some great
events for investors and founders to meet, this just isn’t one of
them.

Would love to get everyone's feedback and ideas!

Nick Yeates

Oct 16, 2010, 11:55:42 PM10/16/10
to Startup Baltimore
Awesome summary of ideas and discussion. I like the mixed aspect - it
would be neat to hear from an organizer of one of the others that did
it the speed dating way. I like the idea of both quick sit downs and
socializing, let's run with it.

I think the absolute hardest part of this will be getting applicable
people to it, and enough ppl so it doesn't feel wimpy. If total 10
people sign up, it might feel too limited and unprofessional. In my
mind, I imagine like 30 people ideally, some on each side of the game.

So, therefore, we need to market and hustle the balls out of the event
to make it successful.
- First, make an event page, explaing it all concisely and linking to
sign up (goog form). Page and descrip gotta be decent so as to show
it's qualiy and professionalism.
- tell influential bloggers and tweeters and linked in contacts. Come
at them personally and 1 to 1, not spam them. Explain it, excite them,
get them to promote.
- take it to some of your alls incubation/ innovation centers to
promote it etc
- put it in startup news letters, websites, and coworking spaces.
-find how other successful events brought ppl in

Do we have a cheap / free space for it? I'm guessing this isn't hard
for u guys.
Mike, get Paul and your other friend who works at beehive (forgot name
already sorry) to start posting here if they are serious in helping.

My 2 cents!

Nick Yeates

Oct 17, 2010, 12:01:09 AM10/17/10
to Startup Baltimore
I will also tell my masters class called 'innovation and
entrepreneurship'.
We could look through other class schedules and try to send to
teachers of other similar courses in area higher Ed schools.

Brian Sierakowski

Oct 17, 2010, 9:56:38 PM10/17/10
to Startup Baltimore
Agree with all of the above, my only thoughts are we may not need to
be so specific with the "why not to come" aspect.

Service providers and investors should stay out for sure, but I think
a line like "You are not interested/available to start a new company
in the
very short-term (1 month)" might scare away some people thinking that
just by showing up they're making a commitment. If people hear an idea
that they really want to start cranking on, then they'll be on board.
Same for the 'building something new' classification, could imagine
SplitGear going there to get a technical cofounder, since the service
is not new, would not want to populate the crowd with people only
looking to start with a fresh codebase. In general, would hate to lose
an otherwise interested dev due to these restrictions, etc etc etc - I
think you guys get what I'm trying to say.

Keep the obvious misses out, but for the first event lets be a bit
more lenient then we'd ordinarily be, that way we can get a pulse for
who's interested in this sort of thing. Next time maybe we get a bit
more strict, or maybe we adapt the event to meet the needs of the
audience.

-B

David Drager

Oct 18, 2010, 10:31:21 AM10/18/10
to Startup Baltimore
Mike,

This all sounds good. I would be interested in participating. If you
need sponsors to defray costs, I would be interested as well. Also I
could polish the text of invite if you want.

Regards,

David

Nick Yeates

Oct 18, 2010, 1:45:21 PM10/18/10
to Startup Baltimore
+1 to all of Brians comments. Keep it open so as not to scare anyone
off.

On Oct 17, 9:56 pm, Brian Sierakowski <briansierakow...@gmail.com>

Karan Chopra

Oct 18, 2010, 9:00:26 PM10/18/10
to Startup Baltimore
agreed

+++
Please visit us online at http://StartupBaltimore.org

Scott Messinger

Oct 19, 2010, 2:00:25 PM10/19/10
to Startup Baltimore
Nov. 9th is B'more on Rails. To get maximum participation, I think it
makes sense to have it on a later date. While information flows pretty
quickly in the tech community, it can take longer to reach those
outside the group. IMHO, the people not currently in the tech
community are those we're most interested in having attend and
connect.

November 9th is only 3 weeks away. Perhaps November 30th?

Also, for those interested, Nov 16th is the Lean Startup Meeting in
DC. It's a great event and we could likely promote FounderDating at it
(if FounderDating is moved back).
> >http://HudsonStreetStackhouse.com<http://hudsonstreetstackhouse.com/>)

> >http://findafounder.eventbrite.com
> >http://fac3.eventbrite.com
> >http://www.austinstartup.com/2009/12/startup-speed-dating-this-wednes...
>
> > --
>
> > +++
> > Please visit us online athttp://StartupBaltimore.org<http://startupbaltimore.org/>

Mike Brenner

Oct 19, 2010, 2:25:00 PM10/19/10
to Startup Baltimore, John Trupiano, Jonathan Julian, eeeco...@gmail.com
If I had to pick a community to target, I think Tech is exactly who we
want participating. The Rails community is clearly a key part of that
target as well. Thanks for letting us know about the conflict in
advance but maybe we can work with it...

I just checked the B'more on Rails Meetup site and saw that there
hasn't been a speaker / topic posted yet. I'm putting out some
feelers to see if they would be interested in working with us to
promote and organize Nov. 9th for the event.

I'd really like to see the first iteration of this event unfold
*before* the hackathon. Not to say relationships aren't already
underway for the hackathon, it's just a cofounder matching event could
be a tremendous springboard. If this experiment is reasonably
successful, we can always do larger, more planned out event in the
near future.

- Mike

Nick Yeates

Oct 21, 2010, 8:28:16 AM10/21/10
to Startup Baltimore
Mike, I have the same reservations as Scott on the date for this. 3
weeks out and no announcement and no marketing started is not much. I
am skeptic that we would see much response for this small amount of a
turn around.

I know you want to get it in before the hackathon, but I do not think
that we should base this events success off of getting people to want
to participate in the hackathon. They should be seperate events and
not expect that people will feed into each other. I have interest in
finding a co-founder, and wavering interest in the hackathon. I would
rather take my time with someone if we decided to go about making
something - though both would be doable if the person was into it
enough.

I think for the first time, if we dont promote this right and dont
give it the lead time that it needs, we will see a small gathering of
people - less than 10. Look at the bar gathering for an example. If I
attended this and it was very small, and I was pretty serious about co-
founding, I might feel that it was slightly unprofessional and rushed.
If more people showed up, I would see it as more worthwhile and
diverse and show up for another if I didnt find a match.

That said - IF we could ajoin it with the rails thing.... that just
might work to help us up the anti on # of attendees. If we decide to
go in 3 weeks, we need an event site up yesterday and we need
marketing materials yesterday.

We will discuss the date here soon for breakfast.

I had planned to get an event registration draft up soon. Look for it.

-N

Mike Subelsky

Oct 21, 2010, 10:08:07 AM10/21/10
to Nick Yeates, Startup Baltimore
I haven't been following this too closely, but I'd suggest holding it after the hackathon. Certainly we can promote it during the hackathon.

My reasoning is: you will have no problem getting a lot of non-technical founders to show up.  What will be tricky is finding the technical people.  At this event we'll be gathering a bunch of those types, giving them a taste of what a startup experience might be like, and then we'll have this awesome cofounder event to pitch to them.

-Mike
--
Mike Subelsky
oib.com // ignitebaltimore.com // subelsky.com

Nick Yeates

Oct 21, 2010, 1:55:01 PM10/21/10
to Startup Baltimore
Recap from discussion about this today at the startupbaltimore
roundtable workshop/talk. Lot of movement on this. We have a space for
it at Langermans and we now have a event page for it, though not quite
official, so dont send it out yet.

== Event page ==
There is a tentative event page at:
http://findacofounderbaltimore.eventbrite.com
Amazing job on the ASCII art and setting that up Brian and Paul!

== Date ==
It sounded like most people wanted to keep it for being on
Nov 9th.

== Date round length ==
Also discussed was the number of minutes each "couple" gets together.
Consensus was on 2mins.

== Two roles ==
Also discussed was 1 vs 2 ticket types or different naming schemes for
the roles.
I think we HAVE to have 2 types of people, otherwise we cannot do the
dating thing. This seemed to be relatively agreed on.

== Role / ticket labels ==
I am still hesitant on the labeling of the types as:
- 'Developer / Designer' and
- 'Need a Technical Cofounder'
It is not always the case, as we saw with David and I, that the person
with the active idea or project, is looking for a purely technical
person. I do not currently have an active idea or project, yet I do
not classify myself as a developer. I do a bit of many things, dev
included, but I do not label myself a developer. I don't think that
this should preclude me or anyone else in a similar situation.

How about
- 'I have an idea' and
- 'Help someone with their idea'.
To me, this widens the scope.

== Vote ==
Lets take a vote:
1) 'Developer / Designer' and 'Need a Technical Cofounder'
2) 'I have an idea' and 'Help someone with their idea'

On Oct 21, 10:08 am, Mike Subelsky <m...@subelsky.com> wrote:
> I haven't been following this too closely, but I'd suggest holding it after
> the hackathon. Certainly we can promote it during the hackathon.
>
> My reasoning is: you will have no problem getting a lot of non-technical
> founders to show up.  What will be tricky is finding the technical people.
>  At this event we'll be gathering a bunch of those types, giving them a
> taste of what a startup experience might be like, and then we'll have this
> awesome cofounder event to pitch to them.
>
> -Mike

> read more »

Michael Barr

Oct 21, 2010, 1:59:19 PM10/21/10
to Nick Yeates, Startup Baltimore
I'm in the same boat as you Nick. I love the second naming scheme, as I immediately identify myself as "wanting to help someone with an idea" in all of its possible interpretations.

Cheers,
Mike
--
Michael Barr
Netrino, LLC

Read my blog at EmbeddedGurus.net/barr-code

Mike Brenner

Oct 21, 2010, 2:26:29 PM10/21/10
to Startup Baltimore
Thanks for providing the recap Nick! The ticket names were changed
shortly after our workshop today.

After much discussion and thought, we have decided to go for it and
hold our first "Find a Cofounder" event on Tuesday, November 9th at
Langermann's. While aware that there is some conflicts with date (as
there always are) we really want to follow through with the original
plan discussed above.

As Nick pointed out, registration for the event can be accessed here
» http://findacofounderbaltimore.eventbrite.com (Short Link: http://bit.ly/facib)

I'll be posting an official write-up on the blog later today, but feel
free to start promoting the event.

- Mike

> read more »

Nick Yeates

Oct 21, 2010, 6:24:42 PM10/21/10
to Startup Baltimore
Sweet, it looks good! I am going to spread the word to some local
entrepreneurship classes and personal contacts.

Something I thought of that could be added:
- A field asking applicants where they heard about this event.

Lets start promoting it peeps!