UDP Support

jscinoz

Aug 20, 2010, 2:07:18 AM8/20/10
to sshuttle
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to tunnel UDP using sshuttle. I'm
aware of the standard udp-in-tcp tricks with socat and the like.
However, I'm wondering if sshuttle could directly do the UDP encoding/
decoding + tunnel over ssh at each end, like it does with TCP.

If there is no practical reason that it can't be done (that is, it is
possible just no one has implemented it), then I will hack on sshuttle
myself and try implement it. If I'm successful I'll publish a patch.

Regards,
Jack Coulter

Avery Pennarun

Aug 21, 2010, 4:02:25 AM8/21/10
to jscinoz, sshuttle

There is no particular reason this wouldn't work. The only thing to
watch out for is that forwarding tcp over udp can have some problems
caused by the fact that udp is supposed to be "unreliable", ie. it
should be possible to drop or reorder udp packets en route, but
forwarding them over tcp will make udp artifically reliable (at least
through that leg of the journey).

That sounds harmless, but it isn't entirely so: some protocols depend
on packet dropping in order to measure their speed. One protocol in
particular that does this is tcp. So if (for example) you're using a
VPN that forwards tcp over udp, and you forward that VPN's udp traffic
over sshuttle, you might get funny VPN performance.

But most people just want to forward DNS or WINS traffic. For that,
there's no big deal, and I would welcome patches to sshuttle to make
that work :) (It should be pretty easy, I think.)

Have fun,

Avery