insert_bitmap

rclauer

Dec 29, 2005, 4:58:07 PM12/29/05
to Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
Trying to insert_bitmap...works great when file is opened by MS Excel,
no bitmap when opened by Open Office or Gnumeric. If I save the MS
Excel file in MS Excel, then open in Open Office bitmap is there. I.E.
open office supports the bitmap.

Any ideas?

Thanksk

jmcnamara

Dec 29, 2005, 6:23:21 PM12/29/05
to Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
This is caused by the fact that Spreadsheet::WriteExcel is currently
using an Excel 5 type image embedded in an Excel 97 file.

This will be fixed as part of ongoing work not least of all because it
conflicts with cell comments.

John.

Rob Lauer

Dec 31, 2005, 6:41:52 PM12/31/05
to spreadsheet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response..great module...used extensively

kerneld

Jan 2, 2006, 2:07:50 PM1/2/06
to Spreadsheet::WriteExcel

I came across the same problem, except my primary spreadsheet app is
gnumeric. Is there a bugid some place I can track the status of this?
Or is there some documentation on the excel97 format that is needed for
the image that you can point me to to have a look at hacking a fix
myself?

jmcnamara

Jan 3, 2006, 10:40:03 AM1/3/06
to Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
Hi,

> I came across the same problem, except my primary spreadsheet app is
> gnumeric.

Yes, this is a known issue with both OOo and Gnumeric but the fault is
with Spreadsheet::WriteExcel. As I mentioned above, it is the focus of
current development.

> Is there a bugid some place I can track the status of this?

The best place to track the status of this issue is here on this group.
But if you like you can open up a tracker at rt.cpan:

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Spreadsheet-WriteExcel

This issue won't be fixed for the 2.16 release (to be released soon)
but will be the main motivation for the 2.17 release (pre-releases of
which will be announced here).

John.

kerneld

Jan 3, 2006, 6:45:21 PM1/3/06
to Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
> This issue won't be fixed for the 2.16 release (to be released soon)
> but will be the main motivation for the 2.17 release (pre-releases of
> which will be announced here).

Great. I had a look at how images were handled in gnumerics excel
writer source, and it was a little arcane to say the least!

See source for: excel_write_image_v8 in
gnumeric/plugins/excel/ms-excel-write.c

I am also interested in the TODO item for AutoFilter, but have not
looked at how that is implemented in the Excel format yet.