How difficult is adding scalate to the Spray

George L

Apr 4, 2011, 11:09:36 PM4/4/11
to spray-user
Hello,

I am reading the blog post at http://www.decodified.com/spray/2011/03/31/introducing-the-spray-framework.html

"In its current state spray does not attempt to provide for frontend
development needs (like view templating and AJAX support). If you are
looking for a traditional MVC web framework for Scala you should check
out the Lift Web Framework"

How difficult is adding scalate support to Spray and make it little
bit closer to web development needs?

Is it because of difficulty in adding these features or just the
inclination towards REST?

A project like spray, that is decoupled from servlet based servers,
using netty as base and bare minimum session support like play
framework,
along with scalate support would be an interesting project. Something
like this should scale very easily with out much hassle.

There can be a lean, mean web framework in scala and Lift web
framework should not be the only solution in scala web world

Thanks
George

Mathias

Apr 5, 2011, 3:45:41 AM4/5/11
to spray...@googlegroups.com
> How difficult is adding scalate support to Spray and make it little
> bit closer to web development needs?

Well, actually it would be no problem at all.
Sprays architecture is very open, so it'd be easy to add something like a "getFromView" directive that serves up scalate templates.

> Is it because of difficulty in adding these features or just the
> inclination towards REST?

The main reason is focus.
Spray could certainly be a basis for a frontend framework, however frontend support has a number of requirements that pure machine-to-machine applications do not have. In order to not spread development resources too thin we focus on RESTful machine-to-machine web services for now...

Of course any code contributions, even if they are more frontend centric, would be very welcome!

Cheers,
Mathias

PS: The spray-examples project contains a markdown-server example, that demos something similar to basic templating, only that it's not scalata but markdown templates.

---
mat...@spray.cc
http://www.spray.cc